Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2019, 11:07   #17371
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Residency road was 2 way and the traffic was dense, The air was filled with lot of smoke due to the 2 stroke vehicles we had then.
Absolutely, I remember the two-way traffic on that road too. Used to go by bus to school on Residency Road and the two way traffic was a nightmare. It was pretty hard to cross the road back in the 90s as well during peak hour traffic. The difference was that those hours were few and it wasn't the continuous crawl that we see today. Also agree with the pollution bit, almost all heavy vehicles were badly maintained and emitted black smoke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL01toKA03 View Post
When there isn't too much traffic, people will generally be more rule abiding.
Hmmm don't know about that. There was enough traffic rule breaking in Bangalore in the 90s; it wasn't some 'ideal city' like some of us long-term residents have fooled ourselves into re-imagining Just that since the volume of traffic wasn't as much, it didn't have a cascading impact on the general traffic flow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL01toKA03 View Post
When traffic increases, the strictness of law enforcement should also increase proportionally.
This is very true! The gap right now is the availability of enough police personnel to enforce the rules strictly.
Old 6th August 2019, 11:17   #17372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Cops were finally doing something about it on ORR, outside the Passport Seva Kendra service lane.
You have motivated to pen down what I had been thinking for a while but couldn't get time. Finally using my day off for simplifying things for other poor souls like me.

In case you cross the Ecoworld junction using the Ecospace flyover, you are blessed. However, if you need to be below the flyover and reach the junction, you are going to witness a puzzle which only the exceptionally talented architects and designers of BDA/BBMP could solve. It is an engineering marvel which has no equivalent. A true master piece junction.

Below is the graphical representation of that junction. Mind you, it has some traffic lights which may or may not function. If they function, they may or may not be followed. Additionally, there are armed security personal of some tech parks trying to regulate the traffic. Their instructions may or may not be followed. Now you are already beginning to fall in love with this place, aren't you?

Let me decipher this picture for you.
--The Yellow lines are the designated traffic flow directions.
--Each time a traffic following a Yellow line reaches a decision point, unique colored lines from that point originate, showing the various permutations which are possible for vehicles to take.
--The Red lines are usually accepted wrong side driving, commonly seen.

What I have not denoted are the parked autos, cabs and tempo travelers, which occupy the space as and when they want, for as long as they want, on any or every service lane. Cause, it is their birth right !

Now, don't get confused and try counting the combinations here. I have drawn 30 non-yellow lines in the picture.

Please help me reach NatGeo or Discovery to cover it in the Engineering Marvels of the World documentary. Please Please Please !

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-ecoworld-exit.jpg

Last edited by ajmat : 7th August 2019 at 15:09.
drive2eternity is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 6th August 2019, 11:32   #17373
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive2eternity View Post
Below is the graphical representation of that junction.
This is phenomenal! And the best/worst part is that it is no exaggeration, if anything, probably an understatement of the chaos at that area! I enter/exit twice a day from Ecoworld, so I experience this first-hand.

And blessed RMZ just had a ground breaking ceremony yesterday for yet another building on the Ecoworld campus- so some 200+ vehicles, cabs, cars, bikes will be eventually added to this glorious mess, entering/exiting that one single entry-exit road (what wonderful design!) I think it's a deliberate ploy on the part of the builder. Make the entry/exit so painful, you'll ditch your own house elsewhere in Bangalore and rent/buy something in the Adarsh residential development behind just so you can get home eventually!

Last edited by am1m : 6th August 2019 at 11:35.
am1m is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2019, 11:38   #17374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Now, don't get confused and try counting the combinations here. I have drawn 30 non-yellow lines in the picture.

Please help me reach NatGeo or Discovery to cover it in the Engineering Marvels of the World documentary. Please Please Please !

Attachment 1902892
No Ecospace in this picture yet ! Not sure about engineering marvels, there will be lot of engineers in this marvelous spot
srishiva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2019, 11:44   #17375
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Below is the graphical representation of that junction. Mind you, it has some traffic lights which may or may not function. If they function, they may or may not be followed. Additionally, there are armed security personal of some tech parks trying to regulate the traffic. Their instructions may or may not be followed. Now you are already beginning to fall in love with this place, aren't you?
Hilarious!! .Looks like you gave it to a kid to randomly draw lines and arrows. Unfortunately as someone who touches this junction daily, can attest to the fact that this is totally true. In fact, I think I can add a couple of lines also.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2019, 11:50   #17376
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
...as someone who touches this junction daily...
Looks like there are enough of us around this area to have a decent-sized TBhp meet at one of the food courts at Ecoworld/Ecospace.

We can rant about the traffic and maybe even find opportunities to car-pool for the commute and do our bit to reduce the chaos.
am1m is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th August 2019, 13:18   #17377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1902892
Even the nerves in a human body will be neatly organized. Otherwise imagine what path the blood should take. Now if I correlate your sketch with that of the nerves arrangement in a human body, end result is for sure

HEART ATTACK. I truly pity people who work in Eco space and their travelling ordeal.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2019, 13:58   #17378
BHPian

Quote:
Looks like there are enough of us around this area to have a decent-sized TBhp meet at one of the food courts at Ecoworld/Ecospace.
We sure can meet, I work in the same godforsaken place and the only silver lining is that , I dont drive to work and take the volvo/regular buses. I dont even take the shuttle from the buildings to the arch .
mazda4life is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2019, 10:30   #17379
BHPian

What’s happening today , almost 2 hours to commute from Jayanagar and still at Ibbaluru. It’s really frustrating to commute on this stretch daily.
Old 7th August 2019, 11:21   #17380
BHPian

Quote:
You have motivated to pen down what I had being thinking for a while but couldn't get time. Finally using my day off for simplifying things for other poor souls like me.
It really had me in splits. This is absolutely true. However, I think I got lucky, in a relative sense. My office is at buliding 8, which is the last one at Ecoworld. And I am putting up on Sarjapura Road. So, I never go through this and come straight from AET college side to the back entry of Ecoworld. The downside is, I never dare bring my car to the office.

Some superstitious people say that there is a road from Carmelaram towards Bellandur. It isn't visible to naked eye but one can traverse through some ditches and stones lying between opposite rows of houses. So, I merrily do some soft-roading fun every day towards and back from office. My decision to buy Gixxer in 2014 seems very farsighted now. Who knew..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
We sure can meet, I work in the same godforsaken place and the only silver lining is that , I dont drive to work and take the volvo/regular buses. I dont even take the shuttle from the buildings to the arch .
Guys in my office don't take free office transport and take a Volvo from ORR. They walk ~ 600-800 M to ORR because the mess at this junction takes more time than walking!

Quote:
Looks like there are enough of us around this area
Yeah, I see so many cars with Team-BHP sticker every day here. But for some, everyone at my office thinks Hector is a British car.
atnyia is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2019, 12:01   #17381
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atnyia View Post
Guys in my office don't take free office transport and take a Volvo from ORR. They walk ~ 600-800 M to ORR because the mess at this junction takes more time than walking!
So true! I always walk that distance too whenever I pool with someone and don't bring my bike to work, have never once used that shuttle between the office buildings and the ORR. Always wonder why people queue up to cram into that shuttle and then get stuck in traffic, when there is a perfectly good, shaded pedestrian walkway. I guess getting people to walk a bit is one big challenge with implementing public transport!
Old 7th August 2019, 13:51   #17382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
What’s happening today , almost 2 hours to commute from Jayanagar and still at Ibbaluru. It’s really frustrating to commute on this stretch daily.
+1. have to drive from Kanakapura road to Ecospace, and there are numerous diversions on lake road (which itself is a suggested diversion for Jayadeva flyover demolition) due to BWSSB work. Had to navigate through narrow residential lanes which took forever. Then it took almost half an hour to cross 300 meters to take a right turn at AXA, all due to the super efficiency of traffic cops.

Reached late for an important meeting- while the client also did not turn up, it does give my boss a handle to pull me down.
Old 7th August 2019, 20:24   #17383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks View Post
+1. have to drive from Kanakapura road to Ecospace.
The irony is that, I have an offer to consider if I want to settle in Bangalore and that company is consolidating its operations near Hebbal and compared to traveling to Hebbal , this is better even though every day commute is a hugely frustrating ordeal.
Old 8th August 2019, 01:05   #17384
Senior - BHPian

I think the stretch with the worst traffic at the moment is KR market flyover to Mysore road satellite bus stand. Oh ghosh, it took me 1 hour to cover the distance from corporation circle to satellite bus stand in an Auto. I almost missed an outstation bus at satellite bus stand. Thanks to the white topping that they have been doing forever.
Old 8th August 2019, 08:24   #17385
BHPian

I travel from Lingarajapuram to Bannerghatta road 5days a week using office cab and I am here to confirm the sad news to all. Yesterday night BMRCL has blocked and started demolishen of the underpass (1 side). Expect anyone going in that route to see an hour long jam today.

My travel time just crossed 3.5hrs yesterday instead of the usual 2.5hrs and I think this is going to stay at 4hrs/day.

To add to the menace, my cab route is exactly co-inciding with the metro construction activities. The short stretch that BMRCL has blocked opposite RSI is causing jams at Manipal Centre, Commercial Street, Cubbon road, Stadium junction, Lic junction too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks