Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2019, 22:35   #17386
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Ques :How bad is Bangalore traffic these days (with the rain effect and demolition of flyovers, digging drains, making sidewalks etc)?

Ans : My right leg (knee) is hurting now due to modulation of the brake & accelerator in an AUTOMATIC car. Dual-clutch burning out is almost guaranteed in such scenarios, thankfully mine is TC.

Being an operations guy I decided to see why there is a lag in my work performance and that lag isn't due to sleep, lazing off or lack of focus, its because 3-4 hours a day (most productive hours between 10-1 post which lunch begins at most places) are lost per day due to traffic. Bangalore was amazing to work in earlier (5-6 years ago) where I'd done even close to 100 kms on a single day plus all the work associated with each destination. Today with a grand total of 20km, it took the entire 9 hour working day (of which travel was 3.5 hours, a total of 5 kmph average speed approximately).
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 11:39   #17387
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive2eternity View Post
Now, don't get confused and try counting the combinations here. I have drawn 30 non-yellow lines in the picture.

Please help me reach NatGeo or Discovery to cover it in the Engineering Marvels of the World documentary. Please Please Please !
Attachment 1902892
Kudos man this is just awesome. Just one more thing. The signal is like a "don't care" condition with Ecoworld guards and cops moving traffic. So if you follow signals or follow those guards who are out of sync of each other one tends to feel like an idiot especially since there is always someone who crosses your path who is 180 degress out of phase with you .
Its rather ironical that the best brains in the country inhabit a city where even the traffic problem remains unsolved and gets complicated by the day.
ambivalent_98 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 13:08   #17388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
Its rather ironical that the best brains in the country inhabit a city where even the traffic problem remains unsolved and gets complicated by the day.
The best brains are not focusing on traffic but on different problems. Even if they focus on traffic, they do not have the authority to procure data, perform experiments (which can result in failures), find a solution and implement them.

Might be the best brains can figure out a way out of this too
msdivy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 18:16   #17389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
The best brains are not focusing on traffic but on different problems. Even if they focus on traffic, they do not have the authority to procure data, perform experiments (which can result in failures), find a solution and implement them.

Might be the best brains can figure out a way out of this too
It is not that there are no solutions or brains to solve the problems.

The problem is that the elected representatives / people in power, have been tasked with creating the worst possible infrastructure and with sabotaging any existing infrastructure. We cannot get from point A to point B without experiencing frustration and stress. Don't ask me for proof - just look around.
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 18:53   #17390
Distinguished - BHPian

The biggest irritant these days is that drivers are not aware of this simple feature on their phone that is linked to their car's performance! IoT had to start from here .

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-driving-talking-phone.jpg

On my way back from work today, I witnessed 3 instances on the outer ring road where drivers were indulged on calls on their phones, completely oblivious to whatever is tailing behind or the noise the honks were making and hence the thought.
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 19:25   #17391
BHPian

I am not sure how many watch Kannada news channels. But I see that these news channels focus on some of the pathetic road works taking place for months across the city!

They slam the BBMP, BWSSB, BESCOM etc (not that it makes any difference to them).

But I was stunned to see some roads and the condition they are in due to some digging or the other. Considering that already vehicles far exceed road capacity in Bangalore, ideally no road work can take place in Bangalore during the day unless it is an absolute emergency.

I know it is difficult to complete everything in the night.
Old 12th August 2019, 19:43   #17392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post

I know it is difficult to complete everything in the night.
Sadly it is not about completing overnight that is the issue but starting multiple roadworks and not finishing even one

And fixing/white-topping okish roads and leaving the ones that need fixing unattended.

Last edited by SideView : 12th August 2019 at 20:11.
Old 12th August 2019, 21:52   #17393
Senior - BHPian

Wow what a day in terms of horrible traffic.
My brother took 2.5hrs to reach my place near Royal Meenakshi mall from IIMB. That's a distance of 2.5Kms.
I am so glad that I don't have to travel to work anymore.
WFH rules.
speedmiester is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 21:56   #17394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Wow what a day in terms of horrible traffic.
My brother took 2.5hrs to reach my place near Royal Meenakshi mall from IIMB. That's a distance of 2.5Kms.
I am so glad that I don't have to travel to work anymore.
WFH rules.
You could have asked your brother to take Vijaya Bank layout-BDA 80 ft road-Cave Temple Road rather than using the god forsaken BG Road!
Old 12th August 2019, 22:17   #17395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDED View Post
You could have asked your brother to take Vijaya Bank layout-BDA 80 ft road-Cave Temple Road rather than using the god forsaken BG Road!
All roads were blocked, none of the alternative were any better today.
Old 13th August 2019, 01:28   #17396
Senior - BHPian

Was there an issue with Uber today?

A friend and I had gone to the MG Road area in the evening and couldn't find any uber to get back home. Decided to take a metro to Indiranagar and same story there as well. The app kept saying, connecting you to nearby drivers and getting timed out.
Today was a Muslim festival but that cannot justify not finding even a single uber after trying from multiple places over a period of an hour.
Old 13th August 2019, 13:34   #17397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideView View Post
And fixing/white-topping okish roads and leaving the ones that need fixing unattended.
A classic example of this is the Madivala Check post to Tavarakere Jn road. This road was pretty decent enough. Then "white topping" work started at SJP Rd. Junction and Madivala Check post. When that was about to complete, Madivala Check post to Tavarakere Jn road was scrapped up for white topping.

At the same time, the Metro folks started the demolition of the flyover at Jayadeva Hospital Jn. Now the scrapped road between Madivala Check post to Tavarakere Jn road is left as it is. No body is working on white topping any more. And there is a extra flow of vehicles as the Jayadeva flyover demolition is going on.

Too many agencies who cannot have a cup of coffee together and talk over things, operating in a single city. That seems to be the root cause of so much woes.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2019, 14:15   #17398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Too many agencies who cannot have a cup of coffee together and talk over things, operating in a single city. That seems to be the root cause of so much woes.
You mean the Director of Metro meeting up with Director of White-topping to discuss on easing commuter woes? That is a tall order.
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Most likely, the folks manning the junctions took shelter from the rain. Seizing this opportunity vehicles from all directions converged forming a grid-lock, like in a Mexican stand-off position.

This grid can be broken by a 'good samaritan', who will pacify the drivers into backing off from the stand-off.

Glossary: (to describe Bangalore Traffic scene):
Mexican standoff: A confrontation in which no strategy exists that allows any party to achieve victory. As a result, all participants need to maintain the strategic tension, which remains unresolved until some outside event makes it possible to resolve it.

Good Samaritan: A compassionate person who unselfishly helps others, especially strangers.

Last edited by msdivy : 13th August 2019 at 14:24. Reason: Adding glossary :)
msdivy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2019, 14:31   #17399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
A classic example of this is the Madivala Check post to Tavarakere Jn road. This road was pretty decent enough. Then "white topping" work started at SJP Rd. Junction and Madivala Check post. When that was about to complete, Madivala Check post to Tavarakere Jn road was scrapped up for white topping.
I really really LOVE this stretch of road! I sold my tight handling low-slung hatchback and bought a crossover. These roads truly justify my decision and remove all traces of buyers remorse.
Old 13th August 2019, 15:16   #17400
BHPian

After 1160 pages worth of info, it's safe to say that Bangalore traffic is never gonna decrease and instances of fools being on the road is never gonna stop. The biggest question I have is this - how does one stay calm in traffic?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks