Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2019, 13:36   #17596
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bengaluru: Apathy towards humans and Law

Yesterday evening I had to drive from Hebbal to Bellandur. Started at 5:45 PM and covered the first 20 KM till Maratahalli in 45 min after crossing Manyata and KR Puram. But the next 7 KM took me another 45 min Clearly, the rampant influx of IT companies in this area is to blame. And new offices are still coming up at record pace.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
They too have a human side, imagine how many villages have been gobbled up around Bangalore and people have lost their source of livelihood.
Didn't they sell off their lands at mouth watering rates? Then why play the victim card?
Jaguar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2019, 13:40   #17597
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Yesterday evening I had to drive from Hebbal to Bellandur. Started at 5:45 PM and covered the first 20 KM till Maratahalli in 45 min after crossing Manyata and KR Puram. But the next 7 KM took me another 45 min Clearly, the rampant influx of IT companies in this area is to blame. And new offices are still coming up at record pace.

Didn't they sell off their lands at mouth watering rates? Then why play the victim card?
If that had happened, it would have been good. They were cheated by government agencies during land acquisition, blind reference to people coming from neighbouring villages is not the right opinion. There is an equal share of state and central agencies behind this migration.

The influx of IT companies is a part of converting the ORR into IT Corridor, there is a huge scam in the allotment of land along this road, lands have passed from actual owners to builders from neighbouring state in the name of leasing. The newly formed residential layouts have faced the worst impact in last 10 years. Imagine lands were acquired at throw away prices during 90's and then sold by KIADB to first owners. They have leased their lands to developers clearly violating the regulations, this disease is now spreading to Peenya. The root cause for the problems is the government's failure to act against those who were allotted lands by KIADB not the people who were deprived of their source of income.

Last edited by deehunk : 30th August 2019 at 14:04.
Old 30th August 2019, 13:53   #17598
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
But the next 7 KM took me another 45 min Clearly, the rampant influx of IT companies in this area is to blame. And new offices are still coming up at record pace.
This is so true and I had got a taste of this mayhem last year when I had to visit RMZ Ecoworld Campus for few meetings:

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
  • The last 9 Kms was showing me more than an hour that morning and I was magically trying to find out a broken down BMTC Volvo or a Sand Lorry but to my surprise everything was normal and still crawling!!!
The last 6-8 Kms is literally crawling, in 1st and 2nd gear!!
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2019, 14:23   #17599
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy
It’s mostly the cab drivers or people who migrate from nearby villages who create unnecessary issues.
We cannot blame any specific group of people for the problem, IMHO. If we think in very strict terms even you (from Kolkatha) and me (from Kerala) are actually (economic) migrants. Due to our qualifications (!?) we landed up in jobs which perhaps gives more remuneration, when compared to a semi-literate person coming from Gadag, Chintamani or else where. And ultimately the city is over populated. Bengaluru in that way has given opportunities for many people. We must also understand that the growth of the city was also quite disruptive.

Typical villages - the one example I have is that of Haralur - have now been completely gobbled up by the city. Villagers who had got used to a life style for the last 30-40 years found that the entire area becoming a concrete jungle and the demography changing (new language, new set of people, new attitudes etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar
Yesterday evening I had to drive from Hebbal to Bellandur. Started at 5:45 PM and covered the first 20 KM till Maratahalli in 45 min after crossing Manyata and KR Puram.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania
The last 6-8 Kms is literally crawling, in 1st and 2nd gear!!
I was once taught of the 80-20 principle. That is like 80% of problems generally lie in 20% of the source code. Looks like same is the case with the city roads. From Chandapura to ITPL it was 27kms. 30-35 mins to cover the first 21 kms till Varthur, and then 60 mins+ to cover the remaining 7kms. Chandapura to diary circle is 20kms. 20 mins to cover the first 16kms till Silk Board Fly over and then 30-40 mins to cover the remaining 4kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar
It is slightly different. The "they" who sold their lands at mouth waterning rates are the land lords. And they have minted money, and you can see their changed life style from the vehicles they drive. And it is this group who also have the political clout and rowdy skills to target the other bigger group of migrants in the city - the IT crowd. But there are also other groups of people who were not rich or highly educated, and it is they who get marginalised in the process.

This is purely my observation (and I am willing to be corrected). The street level agression, that too from the not-so rich/sophisticated (?) group of people also is a part of their survival mechanism. "Offence is the best defence" is their strategy. You would also find lot of unity in this group; that is because they know that if they do NOT remain united every body would run over them. A rich land lord of Bengaluru roaming around in a BMW, nobody is going to mess with him easily. For the better off migrant community (like IT) police cases, or fines etc. does not matter. They have the money to get out of that. For the remaining; the poorer strata their way to hit back is physical aggression. That is perhaps the reason why we also see auto rickshaw drivers ganging up, when they see one of their folks in trouble. They know that at their level physical aggression & unity is only what is going to save their skins. Note; None of the groups which I mentioned above are 100% law abiding and honest/ethical citizens in the first place.
sachinpk is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 30th August 2019, 17:12   #17600
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
We cannot blame any specific group of people for the problem, IMHO.

We must also understand that the growth of the city was also quite disruptive.

Typical villages - the one example I have is that of Haralur - have now been completely gobbled up by the city. Villagers who had got used to a life style for the last 30-40 years found that the entire area becoming a concrete jungle and the demography changing (new language, new set of people, new attitudes etc.).

But there are also other groups of people who were not rich or highly educated, and it is they who get marginalised in the process.

This is purely my observation (and I am willing to be corrected). They know that at their level physical aggression & unity is only what is going to save their skins. Note; None of the groups which I mentioned above are 100% law abiding and honest/ethical citizens in the first place.
These are golden words for me, every group you mentioned have their attitude, it is easy to target marginalised section working in unorganised sectors. We cannot even realise the extent of harassment these section of people undergo in their daily life. If tomorrow this IT revolution bombs, our behavior won't be any better than a cabbie or a rickshaw driver.
deehunk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2019, 17:39   #17601
Distinguished - BHPian

Came across this today, don't expect it to cause any changes on ground. Still.

Link
Old 2nd September 2019, 17:45   #17602
BHPian

Tech park is paying for the full flyover and the plan is such that the flyovers at Thanisndra main road and the one at Verranapalya are being connected in the KR Puram to hebbal direction. This will allow the traffic not meant for tech park to go without slowing down. As per the communication by Embassy, BDA/BBMP has been paid a sum of around 3crores for over seeing the quality and for obstruction to traffic during construction.
Old 2nd September 2019, 19:28   #17603
BHPian

Soil testing has started for silk board to kr puram Metro, saw two smaller drilling barricades between iblur & bellundur.
Interesting times ahead for ORR users!
Old 2nd September 2019, 19:38   #17604
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharya View Post
Soil testing has started for silk board to kr puram Metro, saw two smaller drilling barricades between iblur & bellundur.
Interesting times ahead for ORR users!
Until the contract is awarded for construction and the logistics finalized, there is still some breather for the ORR users. Another reason why I dont see a need for people to worry about is the alignment of the metro in this stretch which is mostly in the center of the road. The barricades once put up will effectively reduce each carriageway by half a lane width. If they can clean up the mess in the service roads, I think it will still be smooth flowing. In areas like whitefield, there was hardly any space available on the road and the barricades led to road width reducing to a single lane or so. This was horrible, but somehow was managed, since the pace of construction was pretty quick and the pillars came up soon. On the ORR, it should be relatively easy.

I am hoping that the contract gets awarded to L&T or even ITD since they can ramp up construction quickly and get things done soon. Compared to these, the Mysore road, Kanakapura road metro extensions have had a horrible pace of construction even though there were hardly any blockers and the length also was less.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2019, 19:54   #17605
BHPian

His name is Baadal Nanjundaswamy, a freelance artist. Check out his new way of protest.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...75307999395597
Lambydude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 09:48   #17606
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
If they can clean up the mess in the service roads, I think it will still be smooth flowing. In areas like whitefield, there was hardly any space available on the road and the barricades led to road width reducing to a single lane or so.
Well, I have opposite view - ORR is in such a choco-block condition during peak hours (which is 12 out of 24 hours), that even a smallest of obstruction (bus break down, minor accident) can results in miles of pileup.
In such a state, if you take away half lane on either side & add station construction every other kilometer, I suspect it will be mayhem.

However, I really hope that I am proven wrong here & traffic remains mildly affected by Metro. Amen!
Old 3rd September 2019, 10:09   #17607
Distinguished - BHPian

Update on KIAL/Bellary Road:
Looks like the Sadahalli overpass work (only remaining signal just before KIAL toll outbound or signal just after KIAL toll inbound) is finally starting. Diversion signs have come up pointing towards all traffic being channelled into the narrower ITC factory service road.

Hope they don't make a dog's dinner of it like they did with the Sir MVIT Road overpass, where they took some 2 years to finish a simple matter!
Old 3rd September 2019, 17:30   #17608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In such a state, if you take away half lane on either side & add station construction every other kilometer, I suspect it will be mayhem.
If the authorities enforce some discipline on service roads like no parking, wrong side riding/driving etc., things might improve or at least not deteriorate. In many areas service roads have become parking zone.
airbus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 17:42   #17609
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well, I have opposite view - ORR is in such a choco-block condition during peak hours (which is 12 out of 24 hours), that even a smallest of obstruction (bus break down, minor accident)

The issue lies in the smaller obstructions. If there is a barricade put up continuously for a stretch, it will not affect the flow of traffic. That is because traffic flow is channeled. However, if you have smaller obstructions here and there, what it does is create turbulence in the flow of traffic. Lets assume a bus has broken on one lane. The traffic on this lane will start switching to the adjacent lane and slow both lanes down. The drivers on the adjacent lane will try to dodge the switching drivers and instead of making way, they try to invade into another lane thereby slowing the entire road. This is pure lack of common sense. In Germany, where there are two lanes merging, the drivers have enough common sense to take turns and make space in between each other. Even if there is a construction zone, the speed of traffic is higher. But in our country, everyone wants to put their foot ahead and end up slowing down traffic.

But the thought of a 2.5 lane carriageway on the ORR AND a broken down bus makes me feel it will become an unimaginable gridlock. 2.5 lane carriage way is ok as long as they take care of buses stopping abruptly, which brings us to a whole new topic, improving the FLOW of traffic in Bengaluru.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 18:31   #17610
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
This is pure lack of common sense. But in our country, everyone wants to put their foot ahead and end up slowing down traffic.
You've summarized the situation perfectly in your two posts. The ORR is wide enough to support the Metro construction in the center alignment. IF (and this is a very BIG IF) the service roads can be cleared of parked cabs, buses and IF the traffic flow can be managed in lanes.

BUT that will certainly not happen in Bangalore.

Forget traffic, just look at the existing Metro situation itself, at stations like Indiranagar where there are no guards to enforce lines, you'll see people rushing in to enter the coaches without even letting people get off. The doors remain open for more than enough time but still we need to rush in unnecessarily.

So as soon as the Metro construction begins on the ORR, I'm working from home most days!

Last edited by am1m : 3rd September 2019 at 18:34.

Most Viewed