Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2019, 18:43   #17611
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
The issue lies in the smaller obstructions. If there is a barricade put up continuously for a stretch, it will not affect the flow of traffic. That is because traffic flow is channeled. However, if you have smaller obstructions here and there, what it does is create turbulence in the flow of traffic. Lets assume a bus has broken on one lane. The traffic on this lane will start switching to the adjacent lane and slow both lanes down. The drivers on the adjacent lane will try to dodge the switching drivers and instead of making way, they try to invade into another lane thereby slowing the entire road. This is pure lack of common sense.
you mean a gentle venturi will smoothen the flow ? we are talking about the bangalore commuter here, he who doesn't believe in smoothness - the moment he steps out of parking, he thinks only turbulence and vortices
venkyhere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 19:32   #17612
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The issue lies in the smaller obstructions...
You have explained it perfectly. If they have to block some part, it should be uniform throughout the stretch and not in parts. People switching between lanes is the primary reason for all gridlocks. While at it, if someone ends up hitting another vehicle, the resultant fight(usually verbal) will further end up blocking everyone else. Instead if the block is uniform the traffic , although slower, will atleast keep moving without blocking anyone else.

I use ORR daily from Agara flyover to Mahadevpura and even at 7:30AM if there's just one bus/TT breakdown, it leads to severe grid-lock for kilometers altogether. Add to that the buses stopping here and there. A daily gridlock at Marathalli bridge for 0.5-1km has now become a norm which happens simply because of the unofficial bus-stop after the bridge.

Last edited by SoumenD : 3rd September 2019 at 19:35.
Old 3rd September 2019, 19:42   #17613
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideView View Post
A variant of the scam posted in #63 strikes, instead of guys crossing roads by foot they were on scooters.

https://www.thenewsminute.com/articl...perandi-108264

Keep a eye out Bangloreans.

Quoting myself from another thread, SCAM ALERT. Keep an eye out while stuck in traffic.

Drive safe.
SideView is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2019, 08:11   #17614
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambydude View Post
His name is Baadal Nanjundaswamy, a freelance artist. Check out his new way of protest.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...75307999395597
Definitely novel and seemed to have worked as the potholes on this street were filled up.
Time for him to start renting out the suit so that more such streets can be highlighted! I'm considering a new astronaut suit rental store chain in many cities now.

This is his 'stunt' that got everyone's attention.

Old 4th September 2019, 08:14   #17615
Senior - BHPian

Avoid ORR from BEL circle to Gorguntepalaya for the next two hours or so. Some vehicle seem to have broken down on the Jalahalli ROB.
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-screenshot_20190904080700793_com.google.android.apps.maps.png
sandsun7 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th September 2019, 11:28   #17616
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In Germany, where there are two lanes merging, the drivers have enough common sense to take turns and make space in between each other. Even if there is a construction zone, the speed of traffic is higher. But in our country, everyone wants to put their foot ahead and end up slowing down traffic.
We don't like the Zipper, we like the Velcro here - cling on and make noise when displaced

The Germans have sense when blocking a portion of the road for maintenance. They don't place a metal barricade right at the beginning of the construction zone, instead they reduce the road width gradually.

Unruly traffic is only one of the problems (and a juggernaut at that) but unscientific, or illogical rather, methods of road construction and management also have to be blamed.
silversteed is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2019, 14:14   #17617
Senior - BHPian

Folks

Not sure if this has been discussed before. To de congest traffic on Bangalore roads, we need mass transport and that can be fulfilled by operating more sub urban trains in the vicinity of Tech Parks. We do have a railway station close to E city, Heelalige and we have a railway station at both Hoodi and Whitefield.

What I observed is we do not have any DEMU operating between Heelalige and Whitefield. The single track from Hosur to Baiyappanahalli meets the Whitefield main line at Baiyappanahalli. With DEMU, there is no need for loco reversal. The same train can be operated in either direction.

I compared the frequency of trains operating between Hosur and Bangalore in the morning. Train no. 17236 departs Hosur at 7:15 AM and reaches Bangalore by 9:30 AM. After this train we do not have any other train operating between Hosur and KSR Bengaluru. The snap is shown below. However we have 3 trains leaving Hosur at 7:30, 8:10 and 8:30 and the destination is YPR.

My point is why not convert the 8:10 train to operate till Whitefield rather than YPR as the 8:30 train also goes to YPR.

Also after 8:30 till 11:15 AM, there are no trains between Hour and KSR Bangalore. Why not introduce a DEMU say at 9 AM and 9:45 AM to Whitefield ?.

Even if extension to Whitefield is not possible, at least the trains can terminate at Baiyappanahalli.

From Baiyappanahalli to Hoodi, the frequency is more.

HOSUR TO BANGALORE TRAINS:
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-hosur-bangalore.png

BAIYAPPANAHALLI TO HOODI:
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-baiyappanahalli-hoodi.png

I suppose this would have been thought of and discussed before but do you all see any merit in what I am trying to convey. Can we make this a reality ?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 4th September 2019 at 16:34. Reason: spacing for improved readability
suresh_gs is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th September 2019, 15:37   #17618
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Folks
What I observed is we do not have any DEMU operating between Heelalige and Whitefield. The single track from Hosur to Baiyappanahalli meets the Whitefield main line at Baiyappanahalli. With DEMU, there is no need for loco reversal.
This is the crux of the problem. Railways had introduced more DEMU services nearly three years back. It was a short lived wonder. Within 2-3 months railways pulled out the DEMU services, citing track works etc. Most likely the real reason would be poor patronage. I had tried to do some "plotting", but then realised that coming back from Whitefield to Heelalige in the evening would be a night mare. There was just one train from BYPL to HLE at around 1800hrs. Then for the rest of the evening there was NO other train which would stop at HLE (they stop only at CRLM or HSRA).

But looks like SWR has some plans. Because I see that electrification work is steadily progressing between BYPL and HSRA. By March 2020 most likely MEMUs can run on this route as well. Which means that WFD-BYPL-HSRA locals can be run.

As you said DEMUs can actually run from BYPL towards WFD directions. But looks like it is more of rake & crew management issues which makes SWR not try that.
sachinpk is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2019, 17:01   #17619
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Folks
My point is why not convert the 8:10 train to operate till Whitefield rather than YPR as the 8:30 train also goes to YPR.
The issue is in the track layout in Benniganahalli. Trains from Hosur can go towards Banaswadi easily compared to turning towards BYPL. Even if that happens, in order for the train to reverse at BYPL towards Whitefield, it needs to enter the Chennai line and the cross two more tracks to reach the line towards whitefield. Rather it could reverse at Banaswadi and head towards whitefield which is easier on the operational front. What is also affected is the rake sharing arrangement of these trains. Trains between SBC and WFD are majorly electric and on the YPR HSRA stretch they can only run DEMUs. In this case, diverting trains from HSRA towards WFD will mean that the DEMUs heading towards YPR for rotation into other routes will get affected.

They probably will introduce MEMUs between YPR and Whitefield so that people coming from Hosur can switch trains in Banaswadi. SWR has not got new DEMUs and all the allocation made recently have been MEMUs only. So until the line to Hosur is electrified, there will be operational limitations.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2019, 19:02   #17620
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The issue is in the track layout in Benniganahalli. Trains from Hosur can go towards Banaswadi easily compared to turning towards BYPL. Even if that happens, in order for the train to reverse at BYPL towards Whitefield, it needs to enter the Chennai line and the cross two more tracks to reach the line towards whitefield. Rather it could reverse at Banaswadi and head towards whitefield which is easier on the operational front.
Many times while coming back to Bangalore by Chennai Express, I have seen the Mysore Mayiladudurai train waiting at Baiyappanahalli. Once Chennai express crosses the station, track direction changes for the Mayiladudurai train to climb up the ramp to Hosur. Based on this DEMU reversal at Baiyappanahalli is possible and doable. I do agree with you on the rakes availability. That being the case, why not experiment with train no. 06592 that leaves hosur at 8 10 AM and divert the same to Whitefield instead of YPR. Reason being there is the Salem-YPR train that leaves Hosur at 8 30 AM.

Not sure if there is the BMTC lobby to prevent suburban trains operating from Heelalige to Whitefield via Baiyappanahalli otherwise they would have been shunted out of business long back.

How many of you have observed this.

We have train no. 06593 that leaves Hoodi by 6:22 PM and reaches Baiyappanahalli by 6:40 PM.
The train no. changes for this train at Baiyappanahalli and it becomes 06569. Departs Baiyappanahalli at 6:45 PM and reaches KSR Bangalore by 7:15 PM.

I did travel on this combo before and sounds confusing. Not sure what merit SWR see in having 2 different train nos.

Last edited by aah78 : 4th September 2019 at 21:21. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 4th September 2019, 20:12   #17621
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
We have train no. 06593 that leaves Hoodi by 6:22 PM and reaches Baiyappanahalli by 6:40 PM.
The train no. changes for this train at Baiyappanahalli and it becomes 06569. Departs Baiyappanahalli at 6:45 PM and reaches KSR Bangalore by 7:15 PM.

I did travel on this combo before and sounds confusing. Not sure what merit SWR see in having 2 different train nos.
Earlier these were not the same. The train between WFD to BYPL was a DEMU while the train between SBC and BYPL was a MEMU. This was the time when SWR did not have enough MEMUs in their holding. The train between SBC and BYPL was more of a homing schedule after which the train would go to the maintenance yard at BYPL. Later, they sorted out the timing and rake sharing arrangement to enable a single rake to do SBC - WFD. Somehow they did not change the train numbers.

In the coming days we will see more MEMUs plying between SBC and WFD since they have got more rakes and can deploy them.

Coming back to the topic of Bangalore traffic, nothing can get you from Whitefield to Baiyyapanahalli faster than Indian Railways. Makes very much sense to park your car in the railway station and then take a train to office, so that it will bypass Tin factory and all the metro construction mess. The quarterly pass costs 270 rupees, and can be brought from the mobile app itself. That is how much I spend on fuel every day if I take the car to office. I adopted this for a few days every month and it has made me avoid huge gridlocks in the area.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2019, 20:53   #17622
BHPian

Quote:
Earlier these were not the same. The train between WFD to BYPL was a DEMU while the train between SBC and BYPL was a MEMU. This was the time when SWR did not have enough MEMUs in their holding. The train between SBC and BYPL was more of a homing schedule after which the train would go to the maintenance yard at BYPL. Later, they sorted out the timing and rake sharing arrangement to enable a single rake to do SBC - WFD. Somehow they did not change the train numbers.

In the coming days we will see more MEMUs plying between SBC and WFD since they have got more rakes and can deploy them.

The automatic signalling that has been commissioned is expected to vastly improve the movement of more number of trains between KSR - WFD - just need to see it in Action.

Last edited by ampere : 4th September 2019 at 21:22.
Old 4th September 2019, 21:37   #17623
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghuram.cg View Post
The automatic signalling that has been commissioned is expected to vastly improve the movement of more number of trains between KSR - WFD - just need to see it in Action.
My personal experience is that the trains are running more punctually ever since the upgrade. This applies to the various trains in Bangalore Bangarpet stretch. Earlier these trains had a rubbish punctuality especially towards the end of the day since the delays would get accumulated. Now not so unpredictable.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2019, 23:08   #17624
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My personal experience is that the trains are running more punctually ever since the upgrade.
Still, for a person to reach Nayandahalli from Whitefiled, it takes 2 hours during non-peak hours. My calculation includes all time spent from parking lot to platform and then tomy work place. I tried this for 4 months and then requested for WFH, now work for PST time.

Last edited by deehunk : 4th September 2019 at 23:11.
Old 4th September 2019, 23:27   #17625
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
Still, for a person to reach Nayandahalli from Whitefiled, it takes 2 hours during non-peak hours. My calculation includes all time spent from parking lot to platform and then tomy work place. I tried this for 4 months and then requested for WFH, now work for PST time.
Thats surprising. From my office in EPIP zone to home in Banashankari takes me 1-1.5hrs max as the worst case scenario. On a good day, I would leave office at 425, board the MEMU at 435, BYPL at 450 and take metro to National college and be home by 530. If I used my scoot between BYPL and home, I would reach by 520. The only variable is the train timing which needs some syncing to do. No point in coming to railway station and wait on the platform. I leave office when the train leaves Devanagonthi and take a bounce scooter to Hoodi. All these have made me complete four years of commuting from Banashankari to Whitefield as of yesterday
audioholic is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks