Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2019, 16:20   #18031
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
It is actually in line with the name of the lane: Bus "Priority" Lane. it does not say "Bus Only Lane"
Just a tactful / polite Western way of stating the obvious. Unfortunately, in BLR it'll be read in the way it suits people.
Old 28th November 2019, 16:39   #18032
Senior - BHPian

Around 7-8AM and 3-4PM , I noticed adherence to bus lane which was a good sight. BMTC buses specially were seen mostly in the dedicated lane. TBH I didn't expect them to be so obedient However you always can see the impatient cabbies/TTs entering at times.

Only side effect: Carpooling is going for a toss. I am a regular quickride user and used to have 2-3 people regularly in my car who would get down near kadubeesanhalli/Ecospace. But now due to this lane, I can't stop at those locations, so am not able to share rides with people. Wish i had bus connectivity from my place, then wouldn't have needed to drive daily
Old 28th November 2019, 17:00   #18033
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Wish i had bus connectivity from my place, then wouldn't have needed to drive daily
Even I dont have direct bus facility. Have to take an auto between ORR and home. But still the journey in Volvos is comfortable with similar time and cost.

I am now looking forward to take the bus.
m8002? is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2019, 00:15   #18034
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post

Only side effect: Carpooling is going for a toss. I am a regular quickride user and used to have 2-3 people regularly in my car who would get down near kadubeesanhalli/Ecospace. But now due to this lane, I can't stop at those locations, so am not able to share rides with people. Wish i had bus connectivity from my place, then wouldn't have needed to drive daily
Why not enter and exit the service road for the drop. At kadubeesanahalli as soon as you come out of the underpass you can enter, and exit back to ORR via the next exit. Of course will cost a few min extra, but should not cause any major delays so I assume should be doable.

Ecospace drop I think should be ok via the service road option, pick up would be an issue as entering the Ecospace service road can cause major delays.
Old 29th November 2019, 01:19   #18035
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Why not enter and exit the service road for the drop. At kadubeesanahalli as soon as you come out of the underpass you can enter, and exit back to ORR via the next exit. Of course will cost a few min extra, but should not cause any major delays so I assume should be doable.

Ecospace drop I think should be ok via the service road option, pick up would be an issue as entering the Ecospace service road can cause major delays.
Thanks for the suggestion. Appreciate it. However been there & hated it . The service roads during office hours are usually choked by autos , cabbies and office buses. Not worth the effort. Each minute matters on the dreaded ORR as you never know what leads to another jam. Can't add any more to the already 2hr+ journey

Last edited by SoumenD : 29th November 2019 at 01:43.
Old 29th November 2019, 06:15   #18036
BHPian

Not sure if its mentioned. But whitetopping work at hennur underpass has started (Towards hebbal from KRPuram) Expect some good pile ups or use alternate routes.
Old 29th November 2019, 10:34   #18037
Distinguished - BHPian

Some interesting reading, some good planning has gone into this:

https://www.smartertransport.uk/smar...stion-enquiry/

Someday Bangalore too will have a plan like this, perhaps. (I mean that hopefully and sincerely, not sarcastically.)

I especially like the conclusion:

"Long-term reductions in congestion require people to switch to more sustainable, space-efficient modes of transport: walking, cycling, buses, trams and trains. Though some relief may be gained from increasing the efficiency and capacity of the road network, this will always be short-term: the iron law of induced demand will see to that. People will simply adapt to prevailing road conditions, choosing whichever route is quickest, and increasing driving distances as road speeds increase."

"For this not to be portrayed as a “war on motorists”, we must find ways to filter motor vehicles so as to deter people from driving who have alternatives, but without severely inconveniencing those who, for personal or business reasons, have no alternative."

"Change is not a zero-sum game: someone’s gain is not necessarily someone else’s loss: we all stand to gain from having more travel options."

"Government and local authorities need to invest in developing and articulating a positive vision of what low-car cities will look like. It is essential that they involve urban and landscape designers from the outset, and not bring them in at the end of engineering-led schemes merely to ‘add lipstick’."
Old 29th November 2019, 10:54   #18038
Senior - BHPian

The Buses have written behind that its not courtesy, its the law. I think they should barricade the lane with those not so thick concrete slabs used as medians now a days. Wardens or police can be only at intersections/openings to enforce giving priority to Buses.

Also, they should flood more Buses to lure people. I would have taken the bus if the lane extended from Banashankari bus stand.

Peripheral ring road will come up without any plans and again things will be forced after to mess up everything. That is how we think :(

Last edited by srishiva : 29th November 2019 at 10:57.
Old 29th November 2019, 11:03   #18039
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Also, they should flood more Buses to lure people. I would have taken the bus if the lane extended from Banashankari bus stand.(
I wouldnt fully agree on the number of buses. There is more than enough buses on the 500CA route ( Silk board to ITPL ). I never have to wait for more than 3 minutes to board a bus. There have been times when there have been 3-4 buses one behind the other each with 8-10 passengers.
Lets see how successful they are in enforcing it currently. Today morning, there were cops diverting folks away from bus lane at Ibblue only for them to enter back just after 10 ft. Unless barricaded our motorists (from the tvs50 guy to the benz/bmw )dont give a damn about bus lane.
m8002? is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2019, 11:37   #18040
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Now I see, at least at HSR Agara Flyover, the bus lane goes over the flyover.
Buses go over all flyovers except Agara. But the bus lane is marked on Agara flyover which other motorists have to ignore. This marking on Agara flyover must be erased since once the markings are ignored, they continue to be ignored throughout.
Quote:
I think they should barricade the lane with those not so thick concrete slabs used as medians now a days. Wardens or police can be only at intersections/openings to enforce giving priority to Buses.
Yesterday, BMTC bus broke down between Agara & Iblur and was stranded in the bus lane. If barricaded, the entire bus lane would have gone for a toss by blocking the way for buses. With just lane marked, other buses can cross-over to middle lane & get back to bus-lane without much fuss.
Quote:
I would have taken the bus if the lane extended from Banashankari bus stand.
The lane markings are only till Agara. Now the stretch till silk board is tarred, they must extend the bus lane till silk-board. Metro construction is underway between Silkboard & Banashankari and there is no space for bus-lane.

A couple of suggestions for bus lane:

1) Bus lane must be time-limited. 5 hours in the morning & 5 hours in the evening should be fine to ease congestion, ie 7 AM to 11 AM, and 4 PM to 9 PM.

2) The main bottleneck is between HSR & Silkboard. It takes around 30~45 minutes for this 1.5Km stretch. The solution is to mark bus lane on service road till silk board and let bus make C-turn under the silk board flyover. Later, either turn left towards BTM or turn right towards HSR. (Now the turn under flyover is blocked).

Last edited by msdivy : 29th November 2019 at 11:38.
msdivy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2019, 11:59   #18041
BHPian

Quote:
That is how we think :(
I take the bus more out of my stubbornness even if it means that sometime I need to walk the proverbial last mile ( happened today, as no buses came to the Bangalore Central bus stand / Raggigudda stop) and caught a volvo near East end circle. I have a ringside view of the bus lane and pity the volunteers who stand in incoming traffic to make the idea work. IMO, its very dangerous and risky given the chaotic way our traffic operates. There is a marked improvement (ie. reduction) in the time taken from Jayanagar to Ecospace.

What I have noticed is that the goods carriers like tempos are the main culprits of using the bus lane with impunity.
mazda4life is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th November 2019, 20:13   #18042
Team-BHP Support

Any progress on the Sumanahalli flyover repairs on ORR? Nothing in the news newer than a Nov 9 report saying analysis is being done.
Old 29th November 2019, 20:49   #18043
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Any progress on the Sumanahalli flyover repairs on ORR? Nothing in the news newer than a Nov 9 report saying analysis is being done.
Repair work completed, asphalting done and was thrown open for traffic 10 days ago. As of now, only LMVs are allowed to ply. HGVs have to take the road under the flyover.
sandsun7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2019, 21:39   #18044
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Buses go over all flyovers except Agara
Most buses go under the doddanekundi and mahadevpura flyovers too ( towards kr puram). Only the volvos sometime skip it.

The buses are on the left lane post the stop opposite rainbow hospital and then they crossover to the right lane as they go under the doddanekundi flyover. Then they crossover to the left to stop opposite EMC post which they crossover to the right lane to go under the mahadevpura flyover and then again to the left to stop at narayanapura bus stop.

All of this within a 2.5km stretch.

Can't think of any other bus system that is so horribly designed.
anandhsub is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2019, 08:11   #18045
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhsub View Post
Most buses go under the doddanekundi and mahadevpura flyovers too ( towards kr puram). Only the volvos sometime skip it.

The buses are on the left lane post the stop opposite rainbow hospital and then they crossover to the right lane as they go under the doddanekundi flyover. Then they crossover to the left to stop opposite EMC post which they crossover to the right lane to go under the mahadevpura flyover and then again to the left to stop at narayanapura bus stop.

All of this within a 2.5km stretch.

Can't think of any other bus system that is so horribly designed.
This problem will be solved if they follow my proposal stated at:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...ml#post4682549 (Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation) (ie. Merge main carriageway with svc road). Then bus lanes can be in extreme left thru-out ORR (ie. The lanes that are svc road lanes at present)

Most Viewed