Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2019, 13:55   #18091

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Route advice needed.
I would suggest ORR till Hebbal flyover. Then get onto Airport Road. Then on to Jakkur main road (K V Jayaram road).
rsrnair80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2019, 14:08   #18092
BHPian

Another flyover that is in dire need of attention is Bellandur passport office one. Road on both sides is so badly leveled at the middle section, it almost feels like a hump. One has to slow down to single digit speeds to negotiate them otherwise you can be sure of hearing a loud thud. This is especially true on Marathahalli side flyover. I consciously move to the right most lane whenever I enter this road as the joint is more plain. Just a month back they did some patchwork on the HSR side flyover but a lot of that has come apart now. Goes to show the quality of work done.
strawhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2019, 14:24   #18093
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Really happy the way bus priority lane has turned out on ORR. Today took bus from my home to office. I had to walk for nearly 1 km. Still saved around 10 minutes of commute time.

Lot of discipline among bus and private car drivers. It was heartening to see bus drivers by instinct moving to left most lane even where there was no bus lane. Private cars also not entering the bus lanes by and large. Only two wheelers and cabs violating the bus lane. If barricaded and enforced with hefty fines this can turn to a big success.
This seems to be working Overall. I like the way the majority of the Private car drivers, barring a few, are not violating the bus lane.

However, it is deeply irritating to see the way the Uber/ Ola cab brethren, the company transport tempo traveller brethren and private cabs, auto rickshaws and two wheelers are openly flouting the rule.

What’s worse is somewhere around those ginormous and soul-less Business Parks around Marathahalli and beyond, I ve seen many of these rascals using the designated Bus lanes for PARKING and GOSSIPING!

The Traffic Police in Bangalore have absolutely NO TEETH and dont seem at all, to be able to discipline these errant deviants. They can only target the hapless Private Car drivers if at all, because they are the softest target possible!
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2019, 14:26   #18094
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Need to visit a couple schools near Hebbal tomorrow around 12 noon. Ekya Byrathi and Greenwood Jakkur.

I'll be driving from Mysore Road (RR Nagar/Nayandahalli). What are my options?
If you're visiting Greenwood first, you can go via BIAL airport road and then turn off to Jakkur (after Colombia Asia hospital, you should be on the service road from Kodigehalli since the flyover will end only at Yelahanka).

From Jakkur, you can take internal roads via Thanisandra road-K Narayana Pura to reach Doddagubbi on Hennur road and then just off that is the Byrathi road towards Ekya.

If it's the other way with Ekya first, then from Hebbal, take outer ring road and turn onto Hennur road and then Byrathi road at Doddagubbi junction. Then you can get back to this junction, go via K Narayanapura-Thanisandra road and reach Jakkur. Return to RR Nagar via Airport Road-Hebbal.

I'm not too sure about the best route for RR Nagar-Hebbal.

Last edited by NPV : 11th December 2019 at 14:29.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2019, 14:34   #18095
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Got this picture from Twitter account of #BangaloreRepairProject
Well, today Commissioner of Police and BMTC MD travelled on bus to experience bus priority lane. Maybe the reason for higher compliance today
airbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2019, 14:43   #18096
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawhat View Post
Another flyover that is in dire need of attention is Bellandur passport office one. Road on both sides is so badly leveled at the middle section, it almost feels like a hump. One has to slow down to single digit speeds to negotiate them otherwise you can be sure of hearing a loud thud. This is especially true on Marathahalli side flyover. I consciously move to the right most lane whenever I enter this road as the joint is more plain. Just a month back they did some patchwork on the HSR side flyover but a lot of that has come apart now. Goes to show the quality of work done.
That flyover has already taken a life in 2015. No change since then. Details here - Husband booked after pothole kills wife
Old 12th December 2019, 09:00   #18097
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Last evening I had some work near KR Puram. Left home on the scooter around 7pm and in 10 minutes I reached the place below the hanging bridge (where K R Puram metro is coming up). Old Madras road was so peaceful I was left wondering if it really is the same place
I haven't seen Tin factory junction having seamless traffic movement at any time of day but it was so nice yesterday. The only places where traffic moved a tad slowly were near the Benniganahalli railway underpass and below the hanging bridge + railway station junction.
Some of the recent work on this stretch has definitely helped improve the situation.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2019, 09:20   #18098
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Last evening I had some work near KR Puram. Left home on the scooter around 7pm and in 10 minutes I reached the place below the hanging bridge (where K R Puram metro is coming up). Old Madras road was so peaceful I was left wondering if it really is the same place
I haven't seen Tin factory junction having seamless traffic movement at any time of day but it was so nice yesterday. The only places where traffic moved a tad slowly were near the Benniganahalli railway underpass and below the hanging bridge + railway station junction.
Some of the recent work on this stretch has definitely helped improve the situation.
With due apologies, dear NPV, I think you posted in the wrong thread. I don't see any rant in your post. Your above post should have been in this thread: Unusual / funny / heartwarming experiences on the road
You should know, you started that thread
srvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2019, 09:28   #18099
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Got this picture from Twitter account of #BangaloreRepairProject
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
Well, today Commissioner of Police and BMTC MD travelled on bus to experience bus priority lane. Maybe the reason for higher compliance today
That explains the more than usual deployment of BTP and KSRP personnel along the ORR stretch between Agara and Marathahalli on Wednesday. Some cops were quite aggressively making the erring motorists get off the Bus Priority Lane, especially the cabs, autos and unrelenting two-wheelers. Some other cops were clicking photos of rule violators too.

This morning, I heard somebody in an FM channel sharing the "awesome" experience on a bus between Kalamandir bus stop and Ecospace - took just 20 minutes in the morning apparently. I'm not sure if the condition is the same without so many cops on the road.

<RANT> We as a race follow the 'spare the road and spoil the child' philosophy. Otherwise the traffic situation wouldn't have been so terrible <END RANT>

Last edited by silversteed : 12th December 2019 at 09:33.
Old 12th December 2019, 20:25   #18100
BHPian

Quote:
On the opposite side they have widened the road from the B Narayanpura flyover to the masjid to allow for the metro construction. This along with closing the right turn into the whitefield main road has made for a very peaceful drive these days from soul space arena to tin factory. The Tin Factory signal is also managed quite well these days. The buses and trucks patiently stop on the hanging bridge and dont try to jump the red signal. The only major bottleneck in this area are the 500 buses which stop in the middle of the road instead of moving left into the bus stop.

All this has meant that from Mahadevpura to CMH Road I actually prefer the ORR-OMR route instead of the back route via DRDO. The Kagadasspura railway crossing has become a massive mess these days. I dont remember it being that bad even a couple of years back. On a bike the DRDO route used to be 10-15 mins faster easily.
anandhsub is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2019, 21:08   #18101
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhsub View Post
All this has meant that from Mahadevpura to CMH Road I actually prefer the ORR-OMR route instead of the back route via DRDO..
How is the other side now (KR Puram bound carriageway), any better? I used to have nightmares if I ever needed to cross the railway underpass to KR Puram station stretch (the criss-crossing traffic right before the hanging flyover is the worst).
Old 12th December 2019, 21:46   #18102
BHPian

Quote:
How is the other side now (KR Puram bound carriageway), any better? I used to have nightmares if I ever needed to cross the railway underpass to KR Puram station stretch (the criss-crossing traffic right before the hanging flyover is the worst).
You mean from the Beningnahalli flyover to the KR puram station or from KR Puram station to the White main road railway underpass?

That side is not as good. The road widening is only on the opposite side since they have demolished a couple of properties

The "good" thing however is that because of the white topping work going on in the Ramamurthy Nagar underpass the stream of vehicles coming down the flyover is narrower which makes it easier to criss cross.

The KR Puram station has become a bit more of bottleneck these days because vehicles now need to take an u turn under the bridge to go towards the railway underpass/ whitefield mainroad since the right turn under the narayanapura flyover is now blocked. However the junction is decently wide and as long as it is not a truck taking the u turn the movement is pretty smooth.
anandhsub is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2019, 08:51   #18103
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is the stretch I took and posted about since I was awestruck at the seamless movement of vehicles at the dreaded tin factory junction

However, as @anandhsub mentioned, this could be attributed to traffic getting stuck upstream at Rammurthynagar underpass due to white topping work.

I also noticed that there were fewer vehicles stopped by the road side in and around Tin factory junction and along the service road leading towards KR Puram Railway station, don't know if its due to better policing there.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2019, 10:29   #18104
BHPian

Quote:
This is the stretch I took and posted about since I was awestruck at the seamless movement of vehicles at the dreaded tin factory junction

However, as @anandhsub mentioned, this could be attributed to traffic getting stuck upstream at Rammurthynagar underpass due to white topping work.

I also noticed that there were fewer vehicles stopped by the road side in and around Tin factory junction and along the service road leading towards KR Puram Railway station, don't know if its due to better policing there.
The lighter traffic around tin factory junction could also be due to the holiday season. Reality will hit in full force in Jan .
nma83 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2019, 19:29   #18105
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Another new road closure update off Old Madras road:
When going from KR Puram side towards Indiranagar, one cannot turn left onto 80 feet road near the Resurrection Church (opposite the Swami Vivekananda metro station), the reason for the closure is.. hold your breath - White topping! Yes, there's a BBMP sign board mentioning this.
*About a year ago, A no right turn from Indiranagar side onto 80 feet road was introduced. For now, traffic from Indiranagar can make a right turn onto Old Madras road because work has only begun on the opposite carriageway.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 16th December 2019 at 09:54. Reason: typos fixed.
NPV is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks