Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2020, 07:56   #18271
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

What's happening with the Koramangala flyover? Construction seems to be halted. Just one span between two pillars has been raised in the last 4 months.
Old 30th January 2020, 08:04   #18272
BHPian

Irrespective of Tom Tom's user size in India, I tend to agree with the results.

We Bengaluru residents experience stand still traffic more often than anybody else.

Waiting for 64 signals (plus or minus a few billion) to let you cross silkboard junction, or to enter and exit a bottleneck which is created to escape a work in progress white topping road. We just stand still.

You know what the best part is, concerned authorities will not even bat an eyelid over this report. Authorities = concerned ministers, town planning authorities, etc. Traffic cops can only do so much with broken infra.

Now, the funny part is, people in Manila think they have very bad traffic. They complain quite a bit about it. Having visited the place, what they don't realize is how much better their infra is (better roads, almost non existent pot holes, adherence to traffic rules, new office blocks created to match world standards). Even though traffic density is high in Manila, it keeps moving. And travel times, although high, are predictable.

In fact, here is a video of stand up comedian Russel Peters driving the same point, quite a few years ago. Things have obviously deteriorated since then in Bengaluru at least.

Watch video from minute 2:00. He in fact compares it with India.

OrangeCar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 08:08   #18273
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_rider View Post
What's happening with the Koramangala flyover? Construction seems to be halted. Just one span between two pillars has been raised in the last 4 months.
Work is not progressing steadily on this, I was told by a shopkeeper near Ejipura that there is a lot of interference from local politicos and they're divided in opinion for obvious reasons! There is also no final word on road widening of the stretch just after Ejipura signal (shops/buildings on left side when going from Indiranagar towards Koramangala are set to lose a few feet of frontage). In fact one or two pillars are also pending here (almost near the traffic violation enforcement cameras).
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 09:32   #18274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic
Was pretty surprised by the lack of traffic at 730PM. Maybe people are still not aware of the opening of the road and were stuck in alternate roads
Same here. Today's run was very smooth so much so that I felt some thing was wrong :. I left home at around 0740Hrs and swiped into the office at sharp 0830Hrs. This is like a Shinkansen-like travel considering Bengaluru standards. My only pray is that let them stop the white topping work at least till the Metro construction at Jayadeva Circle is completed. With these two major roads being blocked, travel in the whole area was a big mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCar
You know what the best part is, concerned authorities will not even bat an eyelid over this report. Authorities = concerned ministers, town planning authorities, etc. Traffic cops can only do so much with broken infra.
The only thing which can bring in some change in Bengaluru's road traffic is the completion of the Metro. That may reduce the congestion in some major trunk roads (and there could be traffic blocks in the small towns and villages where the metro lines actually terminate). Bengaluru Traffic Police has actually reached their saturation points. I have observed that in certain junctions they just know that there would be a huge traffic block. They have tried fine tuning signals, switching it off and then using hand siganls etc. All of which have failed. Only when there are VIP movements they actually put in more men (by pulling them from other duties) and block vehicles to get a clear road.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 09:37   #18275
Senior - BHPian

Got via whatsapp.

Accident in front of eco space towards Marathahalli. A car has toppled in the entrance to the flyover.

Certainly going to be a huge pile up. Check out and plan accordingly.
Old 30th January 2020, 09:51   #18276
Distinguished - BHPian

Not a Surprise:

Bengaluru is world's most traffic congested city.

Of the top five most choked cities in the world, three are from India, Bengaluru, Mumbai and Pune.

Bengaluru takes the top spot this year with drivers in the southern Indian city expecting to spend an average of 71 per cent extra travel time stuck in traffic.

Quote:
Closely following the Indian tech hub are Philippines capital Manila, where people also spend 71 per cent more traffic waiting time, Bogota, 68 per cent, Mumbai, 65 per cent and Pune, 59 per cent, comprising the top five most congested cities in the world.
Quote:
In Europe, Moscow is the most traffic-congested city, followed by Istanbul, Kyiv, Bucharest and St. Petersburg.
Quote:
In the United States, Los Angeles leads traffic congestion, followed by New York, San Francisco, San Jose and Seattle.
Source:

Last edited by volkman10 : 30th January 2020 at 09:54.
Old 30th January 2020, 13:08   #18277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post

The only thing which can bring in some change in Bengaluru's road traffic is the completion of the Metro...
Can we lobby for trolleybuses? The reason our politicians are going for Metro is because they have vested interests and/or may be don't know better. The Metro network will never be able to cope with the demand. Trolleybuses will work out cheaper and will be able to reach more points, including the much discussed "last mile".

My other suggestion would be - conveyor belts or horizontal escalators. Unlikely, given that the gora people have not implemented it in their cities, and we just don't have the ability.
Old 30th January 2020, 17:37   #18278
Senior - BHPian

Total Paisa Vasool for the Bangalorean.:

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-imageuploadedbyteambhp1580386069.024017.jpg
Arjun Reddy is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 12:54   #18279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Today I experienced butter smooth traffic all the way from Total Mall near Silk board to Forum, and then till Nimhans campus. Was pretty surprised by the lack of traffic at 730PM. Maybe people are still not aware of the opening of the road and were stuck in alternate roads
Thanks I took this route again after having used NICE Road or BTM all these days. I reached Jayanagar from Electronic City is 38 minutes Average time for the same destination has been about 1 hour 5 mins over the last 3 weeks.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 16:20   #18280
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Thanks I took this route again after having used NICE Road or BTM all these days. I reached Jayanagar from Electronic City is 38 minutes Average time for the same destination has been about 1 hour 5 mins over the last 3 weeks.
No bigger joy in life than driving out into Bangalore roads resigned to the fact that you will take x minutes and will spend a good amount of time stuck at point A, B C and then realizing that all those choke points don't exist today and you basically reach your destination in half the time.
Old 31st January 2020, 19:07   #18281
UMe
BHPian

Finally some solution to the whitetopping mess
BBMP to explore options to use precast concrete blocks to whitetop bangalore roads.
Here is the link
UMe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 19:08   #18282
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Any good South Indian breakfast places en route to Bangalore Airport that open early say 6:15-6:30am ?
Is the Nandi Upachar at the airport (near BMTC and long term parking lot) open ? I remember reading about an electrical short circuit that caused a fire incident there few months ago.
Old 31st January 2020, 20:31   #18283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Any good South Indian breakfast places en route to Bangalore Airport that open early say 6:15-6:30am ?
There's an A2B just beyond Yelahanka where I've stopped once or twice. Don't think they open that early though.

Adyar Ananda Bhavan Sweets, BIAL Road
490, Banglore-Hyderabad Highway Sonnappanahalli, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560077
075500 04791
https://maps.app.goo.gl/ncJdUXLLcmYgueHx7
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 20:40   #18284
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
There's an A2B just beyond Yelahanka where I've stopped once or twice. Don't think they open that early though.
Yes, I know this place, been there once but gmaps says they open at 7am which is a bit late, so I guess it's better to visit one of the outlets outside the airport terminal.
Old 31st January 2020, 21:29   #18285
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Is the Nandi Upachar at the airport (near BMTC and long term parking lot) open ? I remember reading about an electrical short circuit that caused a fire incident there few months ago.
There are a lot of eateries in the airport which will be open, however as you know they will be on the expensive side. The south Indian eatery near the departures gate(I always forget the name) serves decent dosas, but they are expensive for a dosa. Not sure about Nandi upachar though since I have never gone to that side of the airport. I usually catch some food outside of the airport near the pickup areas since there are quite a lot of options.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks