Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2020, 14:49   #18316
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
Disagree with the highlighted portion above. It is not an utter failure. Some contractor did benefit from it, just not the common public
Yes, Contractors who painted to road, which is almost gone now. They might be already tendering for paint top-up now. Also Photo ops by BMTC chairman, CM, BBMP chief and Police chiefs.
Old 19th February 2020, 15:12   #18317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
Ok, the jury is out , much touted Bus lane on the ORR is a utter failure. No one cares about it , no one enforces it and the markings are almost worn out. It’s back to normal on the ORR.
It was a good idea but lack of enforcement was the culprit. Even the bus drivers didn’t care of other vehicles entering their lane. I would have honked and chased them out if I was a bus driver. But never saw a bus driver even honking if someone enters into it. No policemen cared. Even BMTC officials let it go loose.

Not sure if it is completely flop or abandoned, because the buses still stick to it, so at least other vehicles must have some benefit out of that.
Old 19th February 2020, 15:49   #18318
BHPian

Hennur underpass is poorly constructed which is causing huge delays during peak hours.
The mouth of the underpass is shaped like Funnel by white topping. Only the strongest of the drivers can make through here at first !
The first lane of the OTRR ends abruptly here and the traffic should merge with whatever remaining lane.
A bus stop at the entrance of the underpass, people who risk life and cross roads here and smart people who go to service road and rejoin exactly at the entrance of underpass is a perfect combination for traffic backlogs.
Administration has spent so much money to give us this unscientific roads.

The ORR is 3 lane but at the entrance of underpass, it is just 1.5 lane and later again 3 lanes, The funnel Effect.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-hennur-3.png  

Last edited by Shamegz : 19th February 2020 at 16:04.
Old 19th February 2020, 16:00   #18319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
It was a good idea but lack of enforcement was the culprit. Even the bus drivers didn’t care of other vehicles entering their lane.
I use public transport for office commute and there was one Volvo driver who did what you suggested, honk, drive close , use cuss words on a blissfully ignorant car driver who coasted along like a horse with blinders.
Old 19th February 2020, 17:01   #18320
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamegz View Post
The ORR is 3 lane but at the entrance of underpass, it is just 1.5 lane and later again 3 lanes, The funnel Effect.
This is not limited to Hennur underpass. Most of the flyovers / underpasses on ORR has this issue.

They had planned to implement bus lanes in the right most lane and left space for bus stop in the center of the road causing this funnel effect you mentioned.

It was clear that the idea was stupid one after construction of initial flyovers, however BBMP bright-minds kept constructing the same way for later ones too.

Now we have 1.5 lane with the wall of underpass / flyover protruding dangerously in middle of right lane causing accidents like this (Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation).

And after all this, they decide to implement bus lane on the left lane

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img20200110wa0002.jpg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img20200110wa0029.jpg

Picture credits unknown. Received on different whatsapp groups.

Last edited by mpksuhas : 19th February 2020 at 17:17.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2020, 13:36   #18321
BHPian

Last week noticed "potholes" on the Railway overbridge (ring road) and the rebar was exposed. Noticed them on the lane leading from Taj->BEL. Couldn't take a picture since the bus I was in moved on before I could take a snap.

Hope this is not another case of crumbling potholes like the one near Sumanahalli !

That leads me to think, applying asphalt on concrete bridges may lead to covering up dangerous structural flaws.
whitewing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2020, 18:30   #18322
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
Last week noticed "potholes" on the Railway overbridge (ring road) and the rebar was exposed. Noticed them on the lane leading from Taj->BEL.
I am uneasy every time I take that flyover because those rebars have been exposed for many months now:

https://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.c...w/71912465.cms

It seems BDA & SWR are fighting over who will fix it. I am assuming it needs a catastrophic bridge collapse with multiple vehicles falling onto a fully packed commuter train to make them sit around a desk and resolve matters.

Till then who cares? The BDA babus get their Pay Commission protected salaries, Defense authorities will not part with more land to widen the road and build the missing span, and IR doesn't take any responsibility unless it is directly track or rolling stock related.

Last edited by itwasntme : 23rd February 2020 at 18:33.
itwasntme is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2020, 21:03   #18323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme
It seems BDA & SWR are fighting over who will fix it. I am assuming it needs a catastrophic bridge collapse with multiple vehicles falling onto a fully packed commuter train to make them sit around a desk and resolve matters.
The rules are clear and generally the railway is more trusted and reliable than the BDA-like people. The part of the bridge which goes over the railway tracks (or the railway property) is built by an approved railway contractor. The railways way of benchmarking road bridge contractors is much much better. The other stuff on the bridge, like the approach roads etc are built and maintained by the local civil authority (like BDA, Municipalities etc.). BDA historically has got the knack/skill of dumping tough work onto some one else. BDA/BBMP had managed to get the Madras Engineering Group (MEG Centre) soldiers to clean up the mess at Ulsoor lake.
sachinpk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2020, 21:45   #18324
Distinguished - BHPian

Anyone have any idea exactly what kind of underpass the BDA/BBMP have planned at Goraguntepalya? Have never seen a plan or mock-up of the same; interesting scenario with the Defense land at the corner, Taj on the other and Metro running on top.

Also, why was the GGP flyover built so narrow? Are there plans to double it in the future? Land seems to have been acquired from the SWR & the MoD.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-ggp.jpg  

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-ggp1.jpg  

Last edited by itwasntme : 24th February 2020 at 21:50.
Old 24th February 2020, 21:46   #18325
BHPian

I had been to Electronic city yesterday from my residence on old Airport road. Took the IRR as per Google uncle's advice.

What a mess the IRR is due to the flyover construction! The work is stalled due to payment issues is what I heard last .

Decided not to climb the BETL to save some money and also anyway there is a speed restriction. Pleasantly surprised that the road below is even better. Recently asphalted and extremely smooth. Touched 100 kmph, then suddenly realised that there could be interceptors and slowed down to 60 .

Turned out to be the right decision as the toll gate had a serpentine queue!.

Decided to again avoid the BETL on the return journey and there was a guy in front who suddenly slowed down even though road is excellent and clear path ahead. Honked. He did not budge. Reason? Interceptor ahead! Was saved by him from a big fine.

On Namma Bengaluru roads, there are only a few stretches on which they even feel like roads and there are interceptors there to prevent people from speeding! Ridiculous! No way am I supporting insane speeds, but what about a rare smooth drive?
Old 25th February 2020, 19:12   #18326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Anyone have any idea exactly what kind of underpass the BDA/BBMP have planned at Goraguntepalya?why was the GGP flyover built so narrow?
The underpass is planned to go underground at Alisda and come up near Modern bakery. However though it looks good on paper, no body is going to give clearance. Plus it's all rock there. So the underpass which was planned 20 years back will never come into fruition.

Which flyover in Bangalore is not narrow? I assume you'e talking about the near collapsing rail over pass. Even Tumkur road flyover, BETL, Sankey road, etc are narrow to reduce the footprint. One heavy vehicle at a time is the plan. Or 2 cars side by side. Plus pedestrians are allowed. with their carts, cycles, cattle and other paraphernalia. But yes the Rail over pass is a shining example of miniaturization. It saves construction costs and reduces the load stresses too.
wildsdi5530 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2020, 07:36   #18327
BHPian

Heads up: Traffic build up from bellandur, ( towards marathalli direction) plan your travel.

Not sure of the cause since I am still stuck in bus.

Last edited by Aditya : 5th March 2020 at 10:41. Reason: A small typo
Old 5th March 2020, 10:01   #18328
Distinguished - BHPian

There cab drivers...Indicas, Etioses, DZires, to FTs to Buses of offices and schools. I don't know where they learn driving, but I think the order in which they learn things are as follows

1. Operating C pedal
2. Operating A pedal
3. Honking
4. Putting their hand out of the window when they decide to barge into the other lane where there is a vehicle already
5. What to do in case of an accident
6. Operating B pedal
7. Rules
hemanth.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2020, 11:00   #18329
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
There cab drivers...Indicas, Etioses, DZires, to FTs to Buses of offices and schools. I don't know where they learn driving, but I think the order in which they learn things are as follows
Before all this they have to mandatorily pass the practical exam on how to turn on headlights and hazard indicators.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th March 2020, 14:28   #18330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
There cab drivers...I don't know where they learn driving,
I realised the problem with most of the car drivers today is because most of us graduated from two wheelers. The way you think when you are on a two-wheeler and when you drive a car is different. Last few days, I was commuting a lot on my wife's two-wheeler and I realised its the thinking that is different. Most two-wheelers try to squeeze into every small space. When you graduate into a car, you still have that mentality and squeeze into every available space.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks