Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2020, 07:44   #18346
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
What the hell is going on at the Manyata junction? There’s some middle of the road work going on for the past few months and I can’t see any progress of what the hell it is!
Thats the flyover that will lead in and out of Manyata. Not sure when they plan to finish. Swalpa adjust madi
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2020, 10:17   #18347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Forget Bangalore and Brisbane, I spent the weekend in one of the nicer parts of Jayanagar.
Precisely the reason I have chosen to stay back in JP Nagar (close to and similar to Jayanagar) even though my workplace is 12 kms away. As you mentioned, south Bangalore has also suffered just like all other areas of the city in recent times, but there is still a lot more greenery, better planned roads this side of town which I find myself drawn towards. God knows how long this will be maintained!

However, once the metro construction work is finally done, I do believe that the roads will become better as compared to now - when there is regular traffic chaos due to ongoing work.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 10th March 2020 at 10:18.
Old 10th March 2020, 11:15   #18348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Thats the flyover that will lead in and out of Manyata. Not sure when they plan to finish. Swalpa adjust madi
Isn't this the flyover that is being built by Embassy themselves and not the BBMP? I thought that would lead to it getting completed faster. I almost missed a 6 am flight last month because it took nearly an hour to go from Tin Factory to Hebbal with the white-topping and the flyover mess.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 10th March 2020 at 11:42. Reason: Typos.
Old 10th March 2020, 11:56   #18349
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhsub View Post
Isn't this the flyover that is being built by Embassy themselves and not the BBMP?
This should be on the lines of what Reliance have done on Thane Belapur road in front of the campus gates of DAKC where "U" flyover was constructed to make way for motorists entering this campus from the opposite side. I had heard that this project was a joint venture between Reliance and NMMDC.

Something I really wish was there for Inner Ring road too but then you have defence land on the other side that always makes things dificult.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2020, 17:44   #18350
Senior - BHPian

Just banning BMTC will reduce traffic hassles at least in the roads that I drive.
These guys have no education and drive the buses like vegetable sellers move their carts in the market.
The stretch from Manyata to Hebbal is smooth except for 1 spot where every time you have to slow down. This is at the bus stop in the middle of the road where the inner 2,3 lanes are occupied by stopped buses. So everyone drives at 60kmph, suddenly brake and crowd into the innermost lane and then carry on. Simplest solution would be to move the bus stop to the service road which is quite wide here and add a sky walk.
Under the flyover of hebbal on the ORR, again one lane is occupied by parked buses and the other by buses waiting to enter. And then at the signal itself, the BMTC guys take a U turn while lesser mortals have to brake suddenly. Of course the 10-12 cops 10 Mts behind are busy collecting fines from finable persons.
Again on the flyover towards Gorguntapalya, Even the mega trucks can be safely overtaken but a BMTC bus will never give way. (Yesterday when a orange bus gave way I was scared to overtake in case it was a trick).
At Gorguntapalya signal, the BMTC bus will stop to let down passengers at the green light and then jump the signal when it turns red. Thus blocking all the other vehicles behind it.
Again there is an infamous bus stand in Yeshwanthpur railway station where the 2 lanes of the National highway have encroached on the bus bays.
In the Yeshwanthpur flyover the BMTC will overtake you by the skin of his paint job just to cut in front of you and enter the left lane where he has to stop.
Again on 8th main, the bus will stop allowing only autos and 2 wheelers to cross him.

A lot of these problems can be very easily overcome by enacting a few simple rules.
No bus stop within 20 Mts of a signal/ intersection (I think this exists but is violated)
Bus doors will not open unless in proper bus bay (Simple to implement with RFID). Passenger steps on from pavement to the bus. https://twitter.com/WildSDI/status/1225688878205427715
BMTC is not allowed to overtake another BMTC bus. (The incentive given for speed runs a la 'Need for Speed" needs to go).
wildsdi5530 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th March 2020, 19:23   #18351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Precisely the reason I have chosen to stay back in JP Nagar (close to and similar to Jayanagar) even though my workplace is 12 kms away. As you mentioned, south Bangalore has also suffered just like all other areas of the city in recent times, but there is still a lot more greenery, better planned roads this side of town which I find myself drawn towards. God knows...
Just another rant:
And I can tell you that certain parts of Bengaluru don't belong in Bengaluru. These areas look like garbage dumps. Trees have been chopped with abandon, roads destroyed, sewers overflowing, roads jammed with vehicles, pollution of every kind... I just hope we can reclassify these areas as, well, I don't know what, but as something so we can get disaster relief for... (not that the occupants of these areas could not afford to singlehandedly turn these areas into Singapore overnight if they wanted)
The good part? People will stay away, leading to fewer traffic jams.
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2020, 22:52   #18352
Team-BHP Support

Jayanagar has had to fight in recent times to maintain sanity.

A couple years ago, there was a huge tree-chopping initiative to broaden the road that joins 4th block junction to ORR and a few others where traffic was getting worse. There was quite the ruckus in protest. They did chop a few tress here and there but no significant harm to the tree cover overall.

BBMP would pour concrete in our living rooms if we let them!
Old 10th March 2020, 23:26   #18353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Under the flyover of hebbal on the ORR, again one lane is occupied by parked buses and the other by buses waiting to enter. And then at the signal itself, the BMTC guys take a U turn while lesser mortals have to brake suddenly. Of course the 10-12 cops 10 Mts behind are busy collecting fines from finable persons.
Tell me about it. I was almost rear-ended by a truck cause I braked suddenly for a BMTC bus taking U-turn. The truck driver came out and started abusing me and was having a panic attack as he barely managed to pull a stoppie.
I even questioned the cops stationed about allowing BMTC busses from taking a U-turn at a place with a clear No U-turn board and their response was that they were instructed by higher-ups to do so
Old 10th March 2020, 23:43   #18354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
A lot of these problems can be very easily overcome by enacting a few simple rules.
Oh man, what you are telling is the exact opposite philosophy of BMTC drivers. (I think it was discussed in the BMTC thread).
Quote:
No bus stop within 20 Mts of a signal/ intersection (I think this exists but is violated)
In theory, designated bus stops are at least 50m away from the junction. Theory & practicals are totally different in India. So the person who waits at that bus stop () will be made fool since no bus stops there. Bus stops bang at the traffic light, junctions, start & end of flyovers, 20m away from bus stops but not at the bus stops.
Quote:
Bus doors will not open unless in proper bus bay (Simple to implement with RFID).
This cannot happen since the driver will suffocate if he closes the front door. This is additional work for him to open & close the doors at the bus stops, for which he is not paid. Also, by keeping the door open, he can pick up his friends, police, BMTC staff & passengers while running.
Quote:
Passenger steps on from pavement to the bus.
You got to be kidding. Whatever training BMTC drivers might have received, as per best practices manual, one lane gap must be left between the bus & pavement. This will ensure no other BMTC bus overtakes the bus at the bus stop. This leads to the next point, the ultimate philosophy of BMTC driver.
Quote:
BMTC is not allowed to overtake another BMTC bus. (The incentive given for speed runs a la 'Need for Speed" needs to go).
What a meaningful completion & a satisfying trip means to the driver; the career motivating factor for BMTC driver is not letting another BMTC overtake him, especially the bus with the same route number. Getting overtaken by the same route number is a sacrilege. The conductor is compliant with the driver in this goal. The driver & conductor wait at some strategic place citing lack of passengers, for issuing tickets, or to pick up the parcel at a roadside eatery. But as soon as another BMTC is seen in the rearview mirror, the race begins with the sole purpose of not letting other bus overtake it. The bus doesn't stop at bus stops to pick up passengers, drivers curse at passengers who want to get down and thereby slowing them down in the race. Folks waiting at the bus stops are flabbergasted to see two buses with the same route number pass by without stopping to pick them up and they have to blame their karma for their wrong timing to catch the bus.

Last edited by msdivy : 11th March 2020 at 00:09.
msdivy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 14:09   #18355
BHPian

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img20200311wa0019.jpg

Got this as a forward, regret to inform it's genuine
Got stuck for about 5-10 mins today morning during off-peak hours. They've blocked the carriageway from EC toll towards Bannerghatta road and have diverted the entire traffic onto the other side. Opposing traffic flows are separated by those plastic barricades and tapes and managed by security men waving flags.

The next couple of months will be a major struggle for users of NICE road, which is doubly frustrating given the atrocious toll that we pay to use the road. Unfortunately, there is no workaround. I did a trial run to go home from EC-Basaveshwaranagar via inside the city, however that took me a staggering 2.5hrs despite leaving office at 3pm!
shreyascashyap is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 15:05   #18356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyascashyap View Post
Attachment 1978948

Got this as a forward, regret to inform it's genuine
What does "stretches of 2 km" in the notice mean? Which stretch exactly is going to be closed off? For instance, if I am travelling between Bannerghatta and Mysore Road tolls, will I face these diversions?
Old 11th March 2020, 15:13   #18357
BHPian

Quote:
What does "stretches of 2 km" in the notice mean?
Adding to this question, will this 2km stretch be properly divided so that vehicles dont collide head on? We see so many cases of vehicles jumping the divider and colliding head on against other innocent vehicles and now if they let vehicles of all directions to share a single carriageway without proper separation, its a disaster waiting to happen especially at night time
Old 11th March 2020, 15:21   #18358
BHPian

Quote:
What does "stretches of 2 km" in the notice mean? Which stretch exactly is going to be closed off? For instance, if I am travelling between Bannerghatta and Mysore Road tolls, will I face these diversions?
Basically all lanes (2 lanes + 1 shoulder) in 1 direction will be closed for a 2km stretch and traffic will be diverted to the opposite carriageway. For this 2km stretch, bi-directional traffic will occupy 1.5 lanes. They are constructing crossover paths every 2kms for the traffic to switch between the two carriageways.

I have attached a very poor drawing to illustrate the same, please excuse my lamentable artistic skill :P
Name:  nice.png
Views: 857
Size:  10.2 KB

Last edited by shreyascashyap : 11th March 2020 at 15:25. Reason: attaching a slightly better illustration
Old 11th March 2020, 15:22   #18359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagr22 View Post
will this 2km stretch be properly divided so that vehicles dont collide head on?
Yes, it is.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img20200311wa0007.jpg

Whether the toll would be halved?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyascashyap View Post
Basically all lanes (2 lanes + 1 shoulder) in 1 direction will be closed for a 2km stretch and traffic will be diverted to the opposite carriageway. For this 2km stretch, bi-directional traffic will occupy 1.5 lanes. They are constructing crossover paths every 2kms for the traffic to switch between the two carriageways.
[/ATTACH]
Do you mean there will be multiple such 2 kms closed stretches and have to switch between both carriageways multiple times or just one stretch of 2 kms?
Or if it is that we have to keep switching the carriageways every 2 kms (i.e say ~12 times for a drive from E.City to Mysore road), man, I would prefer city roads then.

Last edited by balenoed_ : 11th March 2020 at 15:38.
balenoed_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 20:16   #18360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post

Do you mean there will be multiple such 2 kms closed stretches and have to switch between both carriageways multiple times or just one stretch of 2 kms?
Or if it is that we have to keep switching the carriageways every 2 kms (i.e say ~12 times for a drive from E.City to Mysore road), man, I would prefer city roads then.
I am not sure. The stretch from EC toll to Bannerghatta toll already has those crossover points every 2kms. There is nothing yet from Bannerghatta road onwards but I do see signs of preparation along the central reservation.

I hope there is going to be just one 2km stretch under ashpalting at any given point in time and the rest of the lanes are free beyond that but you never know They may start at multiple locations - one stretch between EC and Bannerghatta, one stretch between Bannerghatta and Kanakpura etc. Who knows?!
I'll update it here once i know the status in the next couple of days. Unfortunately this route is my daily commute.
shreyascashyap is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks