Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2020, 11:47   #18466
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
I am not sure if the images here are of better quality but if it helps

https://twitter.com/IPSHemant/status...938867714?s=19

You will not find the text or pdf, I think. This is a "trick" used by our government servants. All tables, information, etc is published in some picture format.

I've had similar trouble with BESCOM data or even their responses, which are deliberately sent as images of electronic documents. Apparently, this "trick" is also used elsewhere in the world.
Old 2nd April 2020, 12:17   #18467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sri Vathsa View Post
'TO BUY MILK, YOU HAVE COME IN A CAR', i was pissed off and 2nd cop on passenger seat, notices lawyer sticker on my car, i ask him 'move madakke helli (ask him to move)' and they oblige.

God save us, if this lockdown extends for another month.
Newspaper report said two wheelers are not allowed and did not mention anything about cars.
Old 2nd April 2020, 12:51   #18468
Senior - BHPian

It appears as though the lockdown has ended. Last night traffic was near normal near hebbal on Ring road. Today also there was traffic in various parts of North Bengaluru about half of usual.
Old 2nd April 2020, 13:51   #18469
Senior - BHPian

Visited the local Big Bazaar store - about 1km from my home. I usually take my car and stock for a week, but went walking today after hearing reports of vehicles getting seized.

They were allowing about 5-10 inside at a time and there was a wait time of about 10 mins. Wearing a mask was a must. They had adequate stock of groceries and there was no rush. I bought some fruits and noodles.

There was a police barricade close by but didn't see any vehicles being stopped. I'm still wondering if I should take my car out next time. It's a lot more convenient and I have to make fewer trips, so the risk of infecting and getting infected is much less.
sdp1975 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 14:25   #18470
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
It appears as though the lockdown has ended. Last night traffic was near normal near hebbal on Ring road. Today also there was traffic in various parts of North Bengaluru about half of usual.
Count of vehicles seized has now crossed 8000. It may appear that in some part of the city things are returning to normalcy. But it may be a short-lived thought. Most likely there could be some 'weak timings' when the police staff may be changing their duty turns. But rest assured, seizures are happening every hour.
sachinpk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 19:48   #18471
Team-BHP Support

I noticed a few BMTC buses from my balcony overlooking Mysore Road, and there's definitely a lot of people (for a lockdown) out & about.

What gives?
Old 2nd April 2020, 20:09   #18472
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
I noticed a few BMTC buses from my balcony overlooking Mysore Road, and there's definitely a lot of people (for a lockdown) out & about.

What gives?
Were you able to read the signboard?

I noticed few yesterday on Doddaballapur Road in Yelahanka but each of them had "Health/Medical Emergency" lit up the signboards.

For sure, I haven't come across any recent news of service resumption of BMTC for now.

Last edited by paragsachania : 2nd April 2020 at 20:20.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 20:24   #18473
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Were you able to read the signboard?

I noticed few yesterday on Doddaballapur Road in Yelahanka but each of them had "Health/Medical Emergency" lit up the signboards.

For sure, I haven't come across any recent news of service resumption of BMTC for now.
Sorry, don't have a clear line of sight as they pass sideways to my vantage point and the front/back digital displays aren't visible. Could be redeployed for other stuff, like you say.

The crowd was still a curious sight. I'd actually forgotten what normal traffic sounded like, that's what got me to the balcony.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 3rd April 2020 at 02:31. Reason: Typo.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2020, 08:25   #18474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
Newspaper report said two wheelers are not allowed and did not mention anything about cars.
They released a message later saying both:
Not an April Fool’s prank, two/four wheelers are banned till April 14: Karnataka police: URL
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2020, 09:47   #18475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania
BMTC is only running a very skeletal service and only for staff on emergency duty. They all have signages like "Emergency Staff Only" or "Essential Service Only". Perhaps only intended for medical staff, police and BMTC's own crew.
sachinpk is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2020, 09:51   #18476
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
BMTC is only running a very skeletal service and only for staff on emergency duty. They all have signages like "Emergency Staff Only" or "Essential Service Only". Perhaps only intended for medical staff, police and BMTC's own crew.
+1 saw a bus on tumkur road which clearly said essential services. I am guessing this is to enable vendors etc to get to various locations in BLR.
procrj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2020, 09:46   #18477
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

This should bring some relief to all those members who posted recently on Team BHP threads about concerns regarding ban on vehicles and cops seizing the vehicles, the honourable Hight Court of Karnataka has intervened after hearing a Public Interest Litigation:

Quote:
The Karnataka High Court on Friday said that the Director General and Inspector General of Police should instruct the state Police to allow people to use two or four wheelers for specific purposes like medicines and other essential items.
Source:New Indian Express, Bangalore 04 April 2020 - Link

So, all those heading out to nearby places in their car/2 wheeler for essentials that aren't available in their locality, you have a genuine reason and nothing to worry

*We do not get all the types of Nandini (KMF) milk in our locality, so I have been taking the car out to a store about 1.5Km away, but I've been doing this only once in 3-4 days and this is the only reason for now to step out of home during the lockdown for us. I have not seen or had any run-in with cops (these runs are usually early morning around 6:30am when there's hardly any crowd/line at the store).

Last edited by NPV : 4th April 2020 at 09:49.
NPV is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th April 2020, 10:39   #18478
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
This should bring some relief to all those members who posted recently on Team BHP threads about concerns regarding ban on vehicles and cops seizing the vehicles, the honourable Hight Court of Karnataka has intervened after hearing a Public Interest Litigation:

Good news and quick action on the part of the judiciary. Where the administration was being a trifle thick headed, better wisdom is inducted by the court. Much needed relief for common citizens. However, this should be followed up by a official statement or guideline by the police so as to avoid any manner of ambiguity (which has also been directed in the court order itself).

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 4th April 2020 at 10:41.
arindambasu13 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th April 2020, 11:46   #18479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post

So, all those heading out to nearby places in their car/2 wheeler for essentials that aren't available in their locality, you have a genuine reason and nothing to worry
Has the Hon. Court also defined what is an essential item? For me the medicines for my family may be essential, for a dog lover family dog food could be essential. And in that way based on the mood of an individual anything can be come an essential item. So who will prepare the master list of essential items?
sachinpk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2020, 12:21   #18480
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Has the Hon. Court also defined what is an essential item? For me the medicines for my family may be essential, for a dog lover family dog food could be essential. And in that way based on the mood of an individual anything can be come an essential item. So who will prepare the master list of essential items?
These are tough times and unprecedented, so let's not be so finicky/cynical and make this a big debate. It's very easy to keep writing or asking rhetorical questions and this can go on endlessly.

Point is, if we're stuck in such a situation, can we calmly explain it to the cops and what will be their response ? I think it will be positive if we're genuine. There is still a lot of humanity and empathy left in all of us and the cops will definitely understand the situation. I don't believe all the sensational incidents that are reported in the media until I see something myself or am involved in one directly.

Last edited by NPV : 4th April 2020 at 12:23.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks