Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2020, 12:28   #18481
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Has the Hon. Court also defined what is an essential item? For me the medicines for my family may be essential, for a dog lover family dog food could be essential. And in that way based on the mood of an individual anything can be come an essential item. So who will prepare the master list of essential items?
The GO issued by the GoI and govt of Karnataka have both defined essential - milk, groceries, pet food, necessities such as consumer goods all come under that ambit in the GoI notification.

In short if you want to shop at a supermarket, vegetable shop or milk dealership you are OK.
hserus is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th April 2020, 14:38   #18482
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV
Point is, if we're stuck in such a situation, can we calmly explain it to the cops and what will be their response ? I think it will be positive if we're genuine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus
In short if you want to shop at a supermarket, vegetable shop or milk dealership you are OK.
I agree with @NPV. And medical shops etc. are also opened with the list which @hserus has shared. The police are allowing the passage of people and vehicles if they find some genuineness in the rider/driver. But at the same time the detection and seizure of two, three, four wheelers found on the road with no proper explanation (by the folks using it) are still going on. So it has not become the old days of free for all 8).
Old 4th April 2020, 14:42   #18483
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Has the Hon. Court also defined what is an essential item?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post

Point is, if we're stuck in such a situation, can we calmly explain it to the cops and what will be their response ? I think it will be positive if we're genuine. There is still a lot of humanity and empathy left in all of us and the cops will definitely understand the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
The GO issued by the GoI and govt of Karnataka have both defined essential - milk, groceries, pet food, necessities such as consumer goods all come under that ambit in the GoI notification.

This is for everyone, a letter from Home Secretary, GoI issued on 3rd April regarding essential commodities. If any dire emergency to venture out, one may take a copy of this letter.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_20200404_144215.jpg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_20200404_144216.jpg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_20200404_144218.jpg

Hope this helps everyone.
BoneCollector is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th April 2020, 15:15   #18484
Team-BHP Support

Ok. Live test on the ground.

Had to go out for water, as our last Bisleri 20L can ran out late night yesterday.

Called up every place I knew or could find on Google in a 5-7 km radius, one gentleman in Hanumanth Nagar had stock and agreed to wait for me.

Had to pass multiple checkpoints and explain at each, but they all acted reasonably and let me through once I showed them 3 empty cans and explained my need. One plainclothes gentleman actually recognized my car (I'd come across him last Saturday when I was out for meds and water), and asked if this was my first time out since then, as he hadn't seen my car since. Thanked him for his service, got my refills and headed back home.

Thankfully, it does appear boots on the ground are being reasonable about 'essentials', and not pedantic like social media keyboard warriors.

Reciprocating their sensibility, I'm set to hunker down again until water runs out, which shouldn't be at least for 8-10 days.

Good chaps in thankless jobs. They have my respect.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 4th April 2020, 15:33   #18485
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Point is, if we're stuck in such a situation, can we calmly explain it to the cops and what will be their response ? I think it will be positive if we're genuine. There is still a lot of humanity and empathy left in all of us and the cops will definitely understand the situation. I don't believe all the sensational incidents that are reported in the media until I see something myself or am involved in one directly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Ok. Live test on the ground.
Thanks Chetan.

I rest my case
NPV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th April 2020, 15:37   #18486
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thankfully, it does appear boots on the ground are being reasonable about 'essentials', and not pedantic like social media keyboard warriors.

Reciprocating their sensibility, I'm set to hunker down again until water runs out, which shouldn't be at least for 8-10 days.

This is after videos from the commissioner (and tweets from senior police officers) asking people who want provisions to walk. The high court judgement is a godsend.
hserus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th April 2020, 18:21   #18487
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
+1 to that.
Had to step out today to take my MIL to the hospital. I was stopped at a couple of checkpoints but on explaining the situation, I was asked to proceed and drive safely. I did spend some time driving around Malleswaram as I was searching for a specific medicine. There were quiet a few 2 wheelers and cars on the road, and everyone seemed to be doing grocery/medicine runs. I think most people are using their common sense and not venturing out unless absolutely necessary
procrj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2020, 21:39   #18488
Senior - BHPian

Another good thing about the lockdown. Before anyone gets riled, I'm an orthopedic surgeon and have cut my practice by 90%, but am still handling emergencies. My daily travel has reduced by 50%. My Honda city has improved fuel efficiency to 15-16 kmpl in the last 2 top ups. The last time I saw such figures in the city was 10 years back. Of late it has been 12-13 kmpl. On the highway, I get between 10-24 kmpl depending at the speeds I maintain.
wildsdi5530 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 12:07   #18489
BHPian

Update on restrictions : Traveled on Sunday Morning 7am from E-city to Hebbal flyover and not one cop on the road. No Blockade, no stopping whatsoever.

In case of emergency, looks like its much safer to travel via ring road as cops are more concentrated towards core city limits.
livyodream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 12:48   #18490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
Update on restrictions : Traveled on Sunday Morning 7am from E-city to Hebbal flyover and not one cop on the road. No Blockade, no stopping whatsoever.

In case of emergency, looks like its much safer to travel via ring road as cops are more concentrated towards core city limits.
Absolutely!. Did we think cops are on all the roads 24/7 stopping and beating people? On some major junctions and intersections, they have put up the barricades and will be present off and on. But the barricades remain all the time. So if they happen to be there when we cross they will first take a look at the car and the occupants to draw an image in their minds. If their gut feeling says "these could be people out for either a joy ride or just to grrr their machines", they will stop to question.

On the interior roads and inside residential areas, they come maybe once in a day or once in two days announcing on their loudspeakers that sections 144 has been imposed and please do not venture out unnecessarily or gather in groups.

In India, there is a Pacific Ocean between rules on paper and implementation.
Nalin1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 14:30   #18491
Distinguished - BHPian

My cousin had a doctors appointment today, she was travelling in own car and was stopped enroute by police who let through the barricade after checking the reason for travel.

Even few from my apartment complex had visited hospitals around here for routine follow-up checks and didn't mention of any harassment from cops. So if anyone is delaying their hospital trip due to the shutdown, no need to if its urgent.

However, request everyone to be bit patient when talking with cops. It is no fun when your job requires you to be out in sun when the whole nation is staying in home to be safe.

On a separate note, one day before the nationwide shutdown came to place, I had to go out for some urgent work. Below is dash-cam video from Sarjapur road -ORR junction till Kadubeesinahalli.

The infamous Eecospace was empty.

mpksuhas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 14:48   #18492
Senior - BHPian

Bengaluru: SP turns truck driver to inspect cops at Covid-19 checkposts
It is the behavior similar to what the RTO officials did which is damaging the reputation of many other officials.

Duo vows to get ACP suspended for demanding car pass, arrested
And off course the citizenry also trying to cause further problems.
sachinpk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 10:09   #18493
Distinguished - BHPian

Since no one mentioned it, I will.. a much welcome first rain for 2020 for Bangaloreans (the typical April/mango showers), rains in general are a symbol of a weather reset, a cleansing agent and a sign of changes to come. Hopefully things kick back into normal soon, VERY soon.

Also of relevance here is the fact that humidity is the worst enemy of viruses and I'm feeling a slight stickiness as of this fine morning itself. Hopefully we have 3-4 more good rains this week followed by blistering sun so that the humidity can boil the germs out.

Bangalore is repairing itself as we speak, hope we all emerge from this very trying times into a new life with more order, less chaos and where our own responsible behavior and self control renders the legal systems draconian control useless.
dark.knight is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 10:51   #18494
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Since no one mentioned it, I will.. a much welcome first rain for 2020 for Bangaloreans (the typical April/mango showers), rains in general are a symbol of a weather reset, a cleansing agent and a sign of changes to come. Hopefully things kick back into normal soon, VERY soon.
Also, and very importantly, these rains kick off the ground water replenishment process for the year. Granted, it was just one evening of heavy rain, but a few more days of this and ground water levels should appreciate. Significant since this is around the time when Bangalore's water woes begin to peak.

Lovely evening, in spite of the prevailing gloom all around. The rains carried on for several hours from evening till late night. Enjoyed every bit of it from my balcony.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 7th April 2020 at 10:53.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 19:38   #18495
Senior - BHPian

On a lighter note:

Bellandur lake this morning:

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img20200407wa0066.jpg
balenoed_ is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed