Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2020, 12:17   #18571
Team-BHP Support

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCar View Post

Now, anybody willing to take a bet? When will this road be dug up? I say 25 days. Some other department / contractor who is eager to deliver development services will dig up to lay a pipe, or remove a pipe. Better still, the contractor who laid the road will himself dig it up, so that he can get a fresh new contract.

That is called a Rant! After all the thread is for rants! Woohoooo!
All bets are off. Last month they signed the tender and got approval to start with magic box underpass construction at Sarjapur road / Harlur road junction.

The whole road will be dug up in front of the old big bazaar and springfields like madivala underpass.
Old 18th June 2020, 12:43   #18572
Senior - BHPian

8th Phase actually. You're saying 7th phase is in good nick? Thats good to know
Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Which part of JP Nagar are you referring to? I stay in 7th phase and there has been a considerable number of roads in my area which have been freshly re-tarred and are in good shape since the lockdown was lifted. Though there is still quite a bit remaining to be done, I am hoping it gets done over the next couple of months.True that Surya has promised a lot and remains to be seen if he lives up to them. It will be interesting to see how he responds to your tweet. Bannerghatta Road is definitely messed up but thats more due to BMRCL's apathy towards expediting metro works.
Old 19th June 2020, 10:37   #18573
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday I learnt from a friend (since I'm new this side of town) that 7th Phase includes that horrible road from Nandini Hotel, to Inchara, the temple, the lake and towards Brigade Millennium. That road is terrible. They have dug up this important road to symbolise 'ultimate potholism'. Lol
Quote:
I stay in 7th phase and there has been a considerable number of roads in my area which have been freshly re-tarred and are in good shape
Old 19th June 2020, 10:45   #18574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Yesterday I learnt from a friend (since I'm new this side of town) that 7th Phase includes that horrible road from Nandini Hotel, to Inchara, the temple, the lake and towards Brigade Millennium. That road is terrible. They have dug up this important road to symbolise 'ultimate potholism'. Lol
Yes, that road has been rough in patches, for a long time now. But I would not really describe it as being in terrible shape. There is one patch just outside Inchara and the opposite temple (maybe about a 40-50 meter stretch) which is bad, but the rest of the road leading right up to Millenium is quite motorable and ok - especially compared to the condition in other parts of the city and other roads which one consistently encounters.

That road is part of my daily office commute and other than that patch, and other than being narrow in parts, its no big trouble in terms of motorability. In fact, the last bit of the road (100 meters or so) leading to Nandini hotel has been freshly tarred a couple of months back and is in good shape.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 19th June 2020 at 10:52.
Old 19th June 2020, 14:47   #18575
Senior - BHPian

I was constantly tweeting about the bad roads, tagging everyone important and 'lo and behold', the 'tar gods' descended on my area today. Feel relieved
Quote:
Yes, that road has been rough in patches, for a long time now.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_8824.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 09:56   #18576
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav View Post
The bus lane on the Agara junction flyover is useless. All the buses stop under the flyover as there is an important bus stop there which also serves as an interchange for the buses coming from Koramangala/Jakkasandra side.
+1

Additionally, the design of bus lanes is a disaster waiting to happen. And I got a glimpse of it yesterday evening when it rained yesterday. A truck broke down and blocked the center lane. Bikers parked their bikes to take shelter at the bus stop and blocked the bus lane. All that was left of ORR was a single lane.

Thankfully with the most IT companies still operating in a WFH mode the traffic on ORR is less than 25% of the normal (pre-covid times) and this was sorted out in some time but I dread this happening on a normal day (if at all we get back to normalcy ever) it would lead to a massive pile-up that would take hours to clear.

Further, the bus lane markers should have been stopped at least 5-10 meters before any junction. Right now they are placed right till a junction. So any personal vehicle needs to make a very sharp turn to exit ORR, which is another disaster waiting to happen. While the intent would have been good, the design and implementation is so poor.

What a waste of public money.
sachinayak is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th June 2020, 19:53   #18577
BHPian

The new bus lane that has been created between Silk Board and KR Puram is such a pain. I am not sure how this is going to work when things get back to normal.
  • Reduces a 6lane thoroughfare to a 4lane one
  • We are not good with lanes. There is no slow-moving lane/overtaking lanes here. Moreover, some people love to occupy both lanes and drive leisurely. So, honking & risky overtaking has increased drastically.
  • Merging/getting off the ORR. The design of the bus lane is such that people are merging onto the ORR by taking a sharp bend in the middle lane. Getting off would be very difficult as well. Imagine the pile-up that would happen for a car that wants to get off the main road and gets blocked due to a congested service road or by a bus blocking the gap.
  • Car pooling would be impossible. I wonder if the private buses/Chartered buses would be using the bus lane too. That's not the case as of now.
  • Breakdowns. Volvos breakdown frequently during rush hours. So does OLA/Ubers/commercial vehicles. If something like that happens, imagine the pile-up.

All would have been fine if it was just a marking on the road with people respecting the bus lane and only using it on a need basis. But with the new orange pillars(not sure what to call them) driving on ORR has become tricky. I hope someone with a big machine crushes these orange dividers for everyone's safety.
bigDaddy_In is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 09:50   #18578
BHPian

Yes, these have already become a pain even in the sparse traffic that we have these days.

Yesterday, a BMTC bus did not go in to the lane and then he and an overloaded goods auto were hogging the remaining road for more than a kilometre.

Its difficult to reign in the BMTC guys to follow rules. If its possible, if we could have made them stop at the actual bus stop with its own lane on the ORR instead of the middle lane, traffic situation would have been much better.
Old 29th June 2020, 10:00   #18579
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigDaddy_In View Post
The new bus lane that has been created between Silk Board and KR Puram is such a pain. I am not sure how this is going to work when things get back to normal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigDaddy_In View Post
I hope someone with a big machine crushes these orange dividers for everyone's safety.
You have answered your own question at the end.

It's just a matter of time these will be bulldozed by our own guys. I was about to hit one of it the other day while I was in a two wheeler and was giving side for a honking car behind. Now there is no room to go for 2 wheelers.
Old 1st July 2020, 20:49   #18580
Distinguished - BHPian

A colleague who drove through ORR- Bellandur/ Silkboard section mentioned that all flyovers are barricaded again.
Old 1st July 2020, 21:51   #18581
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
A colleague who drove through ORR- Bellandur/ Silkboard section mentioned that all flyovers are barricaded again.
I went to our office on the ORR on the same route yesterday on my 2 wheeler and none of the flyovers had been barricaded and this was in the afternoon. Must have barricaded post evening.
Old 3rd July 2020, 12:16   #18582
BHPian

I have to go to ecospace in the coming week (from JP Nagar) to pick up a headset. I am flexible on timings. For folks to who are commuting on this route, would you recommend that I go in the afternoon- say post 1.00 pm to face less traffic? I would be driving.
Old 3rd July 2020, 12:31   #18583
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
all flyovers are barricaded again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
Must have barricaded post evening.
No barricades on the 3 flyovers that comes in between Eco space and Tin factory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks View Post
I have to go to ecospace in the coming week (from JP Nagar) to pick up a headset.
Very sparse traffic these days. I don't think you should really worry about stepping out at any time of the day. But yes, comparatively post afternoon would be lesser further.
balenoed_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 13:20   #18584
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
I went to our office on the ORR on the same route yesterday on my 2 wheeler and none of the flyovers had been barricaded and this was in the afternoon. Must have barricaded post evening.
Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
No barricades on the 3 flyovers that comes in between Eco space and Tin factory.
It is quite possible that the cops put up the barricades on the flyovers in the evenings to enforce the 'night curfew'...and simply forget to remove them in the morning sometimes! I've seen that happen a couple of times on Bangalore roads and on the highway during this lockdown 1.0/2.0/...5.0/Unlock 1.0/2.0...

Last edited by am1m : 3rd July 2020 at 13:21.
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2020, 19:46   #18585
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
some contractor somewhere is getting rich in the middle of all the COVID crisis.. Then in the middle of all the crisis get back to plastic bollards, this time more dense so that you make more money... What a scheme!
And look at the quality of these bollards.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-20200704_140851.jpg

Just clicked today. These are not even a week old. Without the reflectors on it, it's just a matter of time they will be smashed in pitch dark. Ridiculous! Can't they even ensure some high quality and durable materials are being used.

Definitely a scam and eyewash and the contractor and the associated people are fooling the whole people.
balenoed_ is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks