Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2021, 14:05   #18826
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
White topping is a good solution, offering a smooth drive, as per my observation.
Going solely by my experience of driving on Indira Nagar 80 ft Road, I have to agree with this observation.
Old 14th February 2021, 14:30   #18827
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Going solely by my experience of driving on Indira Nagar 80 ft Road, I have to agree with this observation.
Actually concrete roads are very rough. Offering a lot of tyre noise and a continuous jerky feeling compared to asphalt. One good thing about this white topping is that once the whole roads are ready, no one's likely to fall asleep at the wheels.
Old 16th February 2021, 09:30   #18828
BHPian

I flew after a long time and got to relive the 3 hr road journey from BIAL to home, wish I had used the recently launched train service instead. Has anyone here tried it ? Where's the entry/boarding point at the airport ? Your views please.
Old 16th February 2021, 10:41   #18829
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Actually concrete roads are very rough. Offering a lot of tyre noise and a continuous jerky feeling compared to asphalt.
I agree. Nothing beats a smooth asphalt stretch. Even in my 330i, I am not comfortable on the white-topped ORR portions due to constant mini-undulations and harshness.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 10:53   #18830
BHPian

Concrete roads are a big pain on the highway, but I think they are ok within the city given the lower maintenance that comes with it. No more swerving around potholes is a massive advantage. I agree a butter smooth asphalt road is a far better driving experience, but that's too much to expect from the BBMP.

The main issue in ORR post the white topping is that it is no longer a proper 3 lane in multiple stretches. Not quite sure how the road width narrowed. A bus, a car and a bike can barely fit in. Can't even imagine what's going to happen once the bus lane extends to this side of ORR. Would be worse than the Silk Board - Sarjapur stretch where the bus lane makes 0 sense.
Old 16th February 2021, 11:30   #18831
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Even in my 330i, I am not comfortable on the white-topped ORR portions due to constant mini-undulations and harshness.
That is due to poor civil engineering. They are unable to make a flat surface.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhsub View Post
The main issue in ORR post the white topping is that it is no longer a proper 3 lane in multiple stretches. Not quite sure how the road width narrowed.
Near St John junction, one side of the road is 2 ft above the other side
Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
While now these distances can be reached in decent timings, I was completely scared driving from Silk board to Kr Puram. The road width is drastically reduced due to the bus lane and to make matters worse the two wheeler make it difficult to call the remaining part of road as two lane. Its too dangerous how people try to overtake and try not to hit the other vehicles that are precariously close. I kept to the right lane since I was unsure of what was going on. Probably will need new driving skills in this stretch.
. Adding to that many exists & entries just pop up. Many miss these and stop. This adds to stoppages & jams.
Old 16th February 2021, 12:00   #18832
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
I agree. Nothing beats a smooth asphalt stretch. Even in my 330i, I am not comfortable on the white-topped ORR portions due to constant mini-undulations and harshness.
While harshness in on one end of the spectrum, the biggest worry for me on these White top roads are when they are wet. It gets really slippery. I feel that its a huge risk especially for two wheelers during rains.

In fact, wherever possible I try to avoid it. Earlier whenever I had to go to Lalbagh, I used to drive beside KrishnaRao park from Armugam circle towards BP Wadia road. But I go straight towards RV road and Ashoka pillar.
Old 16th February 2021, 12:04   #18833
Senior - BHPian

Actually what choice did we have? From zero motorable roads, filled with potholes, we got this concrete alternative. I cant be a chooser. Though, I agree - tar is best
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Actually concrete roads are very rough. Offering a lot of tyre noise and a continuous jerky feeling compared to asphalt. One good thing about this white topping is that once the whole roads are ready, no one's likely to fall asleep at the wheels.
Old 16th February 2021, 12:58   #18834
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
I flew after a long time and got to relive the 3 hr road journey from BIAL to home, wish I had used the recently launched train service instead. Has anyone here tried it ? Where's the entry/boarding point at the airport ? Your views please.
There are trains from Majestic and other city stations, and the BIAL runs a shuttle (free for now) between the airport and the airport halt station.

The news report here has all the details.

https://www.thenewsminute.com/articl...changer-140890
Old 17th February 2021, 18:29   #18835
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
The road width is drastically reduced due to the bus lane and to make matters worse the two wheeler make it difficult to call the remaining part of road as two lane. Its too dangerous how people try to overtake and try not to hit the other vehicles that are precariously close
Yesterday I drove on the ORR after a long time. Slow moving trucks driving on the right lane forcing other vehicles to use the middle lane for overtaking and you will find some slow moving two wheelers there, also saw a Yulu Miracle. I was driving at non-peak hours even then saw some chaos. God knows what will happen when more people return to office and schools reopen.

Last edited by airbus : 17th February 2021 at 18:31.
airbus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 09:01   #18836
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
Yesterday I drove on the ORR after a long time. Slow moving trucks driving on the right lane forcing other vehicles to use the middle lane for overtaking and you will find some slow moving two wheelers there, also saw a Yulu Miracle.
For your viewing pleasure - a long truck trying to fit into the tiny bus lane. Now imagine this during peak hours!

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-ph20210130141145000035.jpg

While we are on the traffic situation: here is an auto trying to cross the median (where there is actually no gap) on the busy old Airport road near Wind Tunnel Road junction.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-auto_crossing_median.jpg

Last edited by QuadraticAmoeba : 18th February 2021 at 09:09.
QuadraticAmoeba is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 09:18   #18837
BHPian

Is there any car which can beat the harshness of the white topped road ie flaten the undulations of these poorly constructed roads ?
Old 18th February 2021, 14:26   #18838
BHPian

Well after a long hiatus I am back to my favorite thread on Teambhp. Last week I decided to finally get the hypothecation on my car's RC removed. I diligently followed the thread on TeamBhp which gave me all the required info (link: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ownin...ml#post4929353 (ARTICLE: RTO Hypothecation Removal Process - Step by Step Guide))

Well prepared and feeling confident, I decided 13th Feb, Saturday would be a good day for this endeavor. So at 10AM, I started from my home near Sarjapur road. Destination- RTO Kasturi Nagar (erstwhile RTO Indiranagar). Google maps told me 37mins to destination. Happily chugged along the narrower than ever yet empty ORR. I was proud of myself to have started early. However, as soon as I reached KR Puram, all hell broke loose. The ORR<>Old Madras road junction is right up there with Silkboard when it comes to chaos. Anyway, 25mins of crawling later, I managed to cross this man made marvel. From here, I was relying on GMaps completely. Took the service lane and reached an underpass which GMaps wanted me to cross. However, it was completely dug up and GMaps wasn't aware of it. Took a U-turn and suddenly GMaps lost its mind. Take left, take right and soon I found myself driving in tiny streets with no place to even stop and re-navigate. Finally, few tiny streets later, I managed to re-route GMaps. Route chosen was to take a right from ORR near Banaswadi junction. Reached the junction, took the right and as if by magic, the roads disappeared. It seemed entire Kasturinagar was dug up to lay some pipes. Somehow managed to reach the RTO, 1hour 30mins later. Found enough parking and then realized, RTO is closed as it is second Saturday. Damm Google told me it is open on all Saturdays.

Soon an agent approached me to enquire about the purpose of my visit. He quoted 1800/- for the process and 10 days turnaround. As I was still confident to get this done myself, I got back into my car, determined to return on a weekday. Took out GMaps, set destination as home. It showed a route which avoided KR Puram junction altogether. Elated, I started off on it. About a kilometer later, I reached another underpass which was completely dug up and blocked and GMaps insisted to 'continue straight'. This broke my spirits. I went back to the RTO premises, negotiated hard with a shop owner/agent there and finally gave him my papers. The return journey was similarly painful. No roads in Kasturinagar followed by a massive jam at KR Puram junction.

PS - Came home and reported the blocked underpasses to GMaps. Maybe someone else won't have to suffer my ordeal due to this.

Last edited by drive2eternity : 18th February 2021 at 14:55.
drive2eternity is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 14:49   #18839
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm2.0 View Post
Is there any car which can beat the harshness of the white topped road ie flaten the undulations of these poorly constructed roads ?
I don't feel it at all in my 2019 Ford Endeavour 3.2 but I get your point.

I used to love riding my Yamaha R3 on the ORR everyday on the butter smooth stretch from Hebbal to Tin Factory on off peak hours and now I have totally stopped. In fact I am going to sell that bike now as its use has drastically reduced due to this. These roads are such a pain now
Aniket6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 14:54   #18840
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniket6 View Post
I don't feel it at all in my 2019 Ford Endeavour 3.2 but I get your point.

I used to love riding my Yamaha R3 on the ORR everyday on the butter smooth stretch from Hebbal to Tin Factory on off peak hours and now I have totally stopped. In fact I am going to sell that bike now as its use has drastically reduced due to this. These roads are such a pain now
Thanks. I asked this question because we might get a new car and I'd like to evaluate how the car performs on white topped roads.

My family members have started having road sickness and discomfort due to continuous undulations on white topped roads. So a car which can iron out these undulations will be our top choice.
ps: Will be going for pre-owned ones mostly.

Most Viewed