Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2021, 11:26   #18856
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m
I'm seeing quite obviously in my org that most of the people who take such decisions are very keen on having everyone back under one roof as soon as they can! I have my own theories
I feel it depends from organization to organization. To be frank, I have only *heard* of IT companies in Bangalore which have a very reliable work force, totally motivated, responsible and can work in individual capacity and also collaborate with each other when the need arises. Where as in very many other places often projects have strict dead lines, the staffing is not optimum and the breed of people called 'managers' have to behave like the tea-estate kankaanis (supervisors) and literally herd the people to get things done. As one of my friends said - "if every one had time on his/her side, 99% of world's business problems and stress can be avoided; but that will never happen".

It has been exactly a year since I stepped into my office. From what I have observed. Frusturation levels are increasing, people complain about lack of work life balance and that now the entire day goes on meetings and then the actual work starts in the evening. Ad-Hoc leaves, sicking, and people mysteriously having internet connectivity problems have all started.

Quote:
I also see a number of employees/team members who seem ready to head back, (again, I have my theories- seems to me mainly the folk with small children and in-laws at home, perhaps office was an escape
I for sure are one who want to go back to office. My observation during this 'work from home' season is that, every one who we interact with feels that we have the entire day to work for them. Office team assumes you have nothing else to do from 9AM to 6PM (and beyond), schools feel that parents are sitting idle at home, and so can help the child, and children feels the parent is resting at home and wants some quality time to be spend with them. To be frank; at times I even find going out for a cup of tea a challenge as office work, meetings and child's class room sessions all should have a 15 min break at the same time. It is like how railway section controllers find a slot to run a goods train, in between mail/express trains.

The old office based work style actually help me have a more disciplined life. The morning ride of 45 mins in company cab, helped me read news papers and even take a quick nap. The return journey was also a stress buster, checking social media and making some phone calls etc. And at work, things which now take 30mins on a conference call could be sorted out in 5 mins by just meeting up people on the floor.

Any ways; rants aside - I feel that many companies may now reduce their office work space. Some organizations which had 2-3 offices have decided to let go two and retain one. Staff would come in on a rotational/need basis. Another set of people who would take a hit would be the folks who rely on rental income. Also I feel that lot of people -especially those who only came to Bangalore for a job- will also be hesitant to come back from their home towns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhsub
As far as I know it isn't in the hands of the company but the Govt. The entire concept of IT Parks and tax breaks is that it supports the local economy which isn't the case under WFH.
This tax break itself is grossly misused by IT companies. One of the so called 'IT Majors' routinely build/take on lease new buildings and make it a new SEZ, so that they get tax breaks for next 10 years or so. The net result is that there will be big concrete jungles coming up in various parts, that area also will see traffic jams and water problems etc. In fact I agreed with one MLA/MP (Mohan?) who said that work from home cannot be a permenant scheme. The local economy aspects also needs to be considered.

Last edited by sachinpk : 5th March 2021 at 11:31. Reason: One more response added.
sachinpk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2021, 11:40   #18857
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
The old office based work style actually help me have a more disciplined life.
I won't go into a debate about the merits of WFH because this is a traffic thread and there is another thread for that, but just asking, is a long commute (and the pollution, etc.) required just to take a break from work/personal duties? Why not just take that break when working from home, as if that time was earmarked for a commute? I know, easier said than done, but the point I'm trying to make is why do we need to create crazy traffic/pollution just to get a break from work or household duties? Why not have no traffic and try to structure life so you get that 45mins as a break anyway? (Again, I know, easier said than done.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
This tax break itself is grossly misused by IT companies. One of the so called 'IT Majors' routinely build/take on lease new buildings and make it a new SEZ, so that they get tax breaks for next 10 years or so. The net result is that there will be big concrete jungles coming up in various parts, that area also will see traffic jams and water problems etc.
Absolutely! And after 30+ years of the IT industry, are tax breaks still the only way to make a profit? And by 'stimulating the local economy' I'm not sure the vision was to have vast illegal residential/PG structures with no water, no roads and generators come up all around IT Parks. To inflate Bangalore real estate prices. To feed cab companies that make a lot of money exploiting cabbies, who in turn become some of the most aggressive drivers on our roads. And finally, since it's this thread, to create traffic jams all over the city and expose thousands to unnecessary pollution for hours twice a day. I'm just thinking about the daily entry and exit from Eco World where I work, quite often just sitting in the car or on the bike for up to 20-30mins just to enter/exit the IT park, a distance of barely a km, breathing in the exhaust of hundreds of diesel cabs around me. The commute to work is basically the most pointless activity I do in my life, probably the most harmful in the long term considering air pollution and stress, and for years I spent up to 2 hours each day, 5 days a week doing that! A lot of things have turned out not the way the original vision was. This might be a great opportunity to course correct. But am doubtful that will happen.

Last edited by am1m : 5th March 2021 at 11:55.
am1m is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th March 2021, 12:38   #18858
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday had to drive from Marthahalli to Yelahanka New town by 18:30 hours. It was pure madness at the junction near KRpuram where the Kolar flyover meets the ORR. All vehicles criss crossing at that place, vehicles from right trying to go towards Indira Nagar, vehicles from left trying to take ORR in the right, I was petrified. Earlier the traffic lights were functional and some cops were there to stop either the ORR traffic or OMR traffic. Add to it the metro construction. Some 20 minutes of scare.

Further ahead, from Ram Murthy Nagar underpass all the way to Nagawara, complete Jam. 45 minutes crawling here, lot of heavy vehicles too. Felt frustrated and for the first time pukish, I could feel the stress.

Further ahead after exiting airport road to reach Yelahanka New town another Jam near Yelahanka Police Station.

By the time I reached my destination it was 21:30, 3 hours of pure madness

On return I came back via Mekhri Circle, Ulsoor, old Airport road. 1 hour, but mostly stress free.
laluks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th March 2021, 20:38   #18859
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday we had to visit CMH Road for diagnostic lab visit. I was surprised to see multiple free car parking spaces both during morning and evening hours. Traffic was also pretty much manageable. I think nowadays more people are out during weekends.
Old 12th March 2021, 15:37   #18860
Distinguished - BHPian

Appalled at the state of Lavelle Road, which seems to have stayed the same since last 2 months + added raw sewage to the charming mix.

Felt relieved and now I can appreciate Hennur Road, Banaswadi & similar areas so much better.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_20210312_152112.jpg  

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_20210312_152107.jpg  

Last edited by itwasntme : 12th March 2021 at 15:38.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2021, 19:53   #18861
Senior - BHPian

I raised that the speed limit on ring road at Nagawara is 40 kmh. I was driving along when I saw Interceptors parked on both sides. Just started looking for signboards and came upon one with 40 kmh on it. Thankfully due to the traffic density, I feel the interceptors will have poor pickings in this stretch.
BTW there seems to be a significant increase in traffic violation drives. Guess the BTP are struggling to meet their end of year target. Saw a cop takedown a 2-wheeler by grabbing the seat rail and making the pillion fall off. Very funny if no-one got hurt I hope.
Old 12th March 2021, 20:54   #18862
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
I raised that the speed limit on ring road at Nagawara is 40 kmh. I was driving along when I saw Interceptors parked on both sides. Just started looking for signboards and came upon one with 40 kmh on it. Thankfully due to the traffic density, I feel the interceptors will have poor pickings in this stretch.
BTW there seems to be a significant increase in traffic violation drives. Guess the BTP are struggling to meet their end of year target. Saw a cop takedown a 2-wheeler by grabbing the seat rail and making the pillion fall off. Very funny if no-one got hurt I hope.
Riding on Old Madras Road from MG road to hope farm, I counted 8 places where cops were standing at a stretch of 20 kms or so to just fine people, target being just two wheelers. It would have been better if they can fine the tankers and lorry guys, but no one will touch them.

Last edited by AtheK : 12th March 2021 at 20:59.
AtheK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2021, 09:27   #18863
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Appalled at the state of Lavelle Road, which seems to have stayed the same since last 2 months + added raw sewage to the charming mix.

Felt relieved and now I can appreciate Hennur Road, Banaswadi & similar areas so much better.

That's the D'Souza Layout side, I think the road will be tarred very soon as the other side of Lavelle Road from the junction to Microsoft R&D is almost tarred, once done it should be as glorious as before, almost all areas of Bangalore have fallen victim to the 5G+drainage+white topping nexus.

While Hennur Rd and Banaswadi are improving, I don't think the CBD of the city has any competition in terms of facilities, safety/security and snob factor, even areas like Sadashivnagar, Indiranagar or Koramangala pale in comparison to the CBD, like miles behind, much less far flung areas.

I always have the dream of going back to the CBD for living, yeah you can't drive a car there and once the schools start it'll be nothing short of a nightmare in peak hours, but there's something about just going for that quick walk in Cubbon Park in the morning and having every facility imaginable within 500 meters that tempts. UB City is always there as THE landmark of the city. Rates have gone up multi-fold though for brand new homes, though there will be that 1 odd apartment at an old building for very competitive rates (the same property in prime location Mumbai will be 10 times more).
Old 13th March 2021, 10:00   #18864
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Looks horrendous, I had taken an auto recently and got down opposite Chancery hotel and saw this mess.

Hope they haven't destroyed Vittal Mallya road that was splurged on and spruced up as part of tender sure scam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
I always have the dream of going back to the CBD for living, yeah you can't drive a car there and once the schools start it'll be nothing short of a nightmare in peak hours, but there's something about just going for that quick walk in Cubbon Park in the morning and having every facility imaginable within 500 meters that tempts.
I know some folks who live close to the CBD area near Ulsoor Lake and despite the traffic, broken roads, sound pollution, etc a lot of their daily routines are easily managed by walking, no dependence on a car, scooter or auto even! Also, water supply is great and BBMP garbage collection is very regular. In fact the water table is very high and the decades old well in their basement overflows and they pump out the water for common area usage like garden, cleaning etc and some of the neighbors also collect water for their use

Last edited by NPV : 13th March 2021 at 10:17.
NPV is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 10:01   #18865
BHPian

EC 1 Toll Plaza to be Demolished and new one will be built.

http://www.elcita.in/4401-2/?fbclid=...AFMkqV6G7jj6Fc
vidyanand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 11:01   #18866
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Hope they haven't destroyed Vittal Mallya road that was splurged on and spruced up as part of tender sure scam.
IMO, TendureSure roads offers better quality of life to pedestrians, road uses. There are foot-paths, lane-markings, bus-bays, pedestrian crossings and a bit of landscaping. The infrastructure is all there. It is different matter if few people are not aware on using it. But it is helping rest of the folks.
msdivy is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 11:23   #18867
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidyanand View Post

http://www.elcita.in/4401-2/?fbclid=...AFMkqV6G7jj6Fc
On one side Govt is talking about abolishing toll booths across the country and on another side it is giving permission to demolish existing toll booth and build a new one. Now when will this hare brained policy making end?
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...-2022-a-6.html (India to be tollbooth barrier-free by 2022)
poloman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 18:29   #18868
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
On one side Govt is talking about abolishing toll booths across the country and on another side it is giving permission to demolish existing toll booth and build a new one. Now when will this hare brained policy making end?
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...-2022-a-6.html (India to be tollbooth barrier-free by 2022)
They teach us that even toll booths have karma and are in a endless cycle of birth and death, and finally get moksha when gps tracking is enabled. Till then we are to endure this karma :-).
whitewing is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 19:34   #18869
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidyanand View Post
This is which exact toll plaza that is getting demolished starting today. The one that is after the right exit towards Infosys main building?

Tomorrow have a drive from Silk board side to NICE road. So this means there is no right turn to Infosys and come back to NICE road entry. Hmm! So I should go straight towards Hosur road, take U-Turn? I'd rather go under the elevated road and get to NICE road.
Old 19th March 2021, 20:18   #18870
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
The one that is after the right exit towards Infosys main building?
Yes, the one that end inside EC before SBI.

Options: 1) U turn after exiting toll on Hosur Road and come back till NICE.
2) Exit in EC2 and take U turn Flyover/overpass.

3) (like you said) Simply skip the Elevated Road and take Hosur Road to Nice road. Turn at EC1 Entrance to take service lane to Nice road.
vidyanand is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks