Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2021, 21:03   #18886
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
Aren't they white topping the Sheshadripuram College road? And after taht it gets dug up due to a flyover. This is how our planning works .
Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
True, entire Yelahanka New Town is a complete mess! I think the Seshadripuram Road will not have a entrance/exit ramp to the flyover, so hopefully that road at least stays undisturbed.
All roads in Yelahanka New Town are undergoing white topping work including lighting renovation and medians. You can notice this from the road connecting Allalsandra lake to Bhramins Idly via Garuda Mall.

The Police station junction along with Junction at Sandeep Unnikrishnan road has become too messy, all thanks to one or nearly two lanes blocked due to digging work.

I have heard from reliable sources that this is a matter of 2 months.

But the most mismanaged junction in Yelahanka is the Police station junction. I refer to that as Silkboard of Yelahanka.

They have now placed plastic cones for splitting traffic taking left for old Town and right towards Allalsandra. This has further slowed down crossing this junction and results in you in a situation where you will be captured on camera at the pedestrian junction before NES, and in stationary mode for no fault of yours.

Last edited by paragsachania : 4th April 2021 at 21:07.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2021, 22:30   #18887
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
This has further slowed down crossing this junction and results in you in a situation where you will be captured on camera at the pedestrian junction before NES, and in stationary mode for no fault of yours.
Agree, I've already paid 1000 bucks as fine because of those awful cameras . They should deactivate them for now as that NES junction is complete madness.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 18:19   #18888
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
I have ridden my bicycle and scooter on these paths. But I haven't figured out who is it designed for and in which direction. There is a remarkable absence of signage. They are on a 2 way service road, and they aren't wide enough for two 2 wheelers to cross /overtake.
Anyone throw some light?
So I did Tweet to the bicycle mayor of Bangalore. This was his response.

TL;DR Signboards will be put up soon, to indicate that it is a bicycle lane and the direction in which one must travel. That said, what is "soon" here is anyone's best guess.
TejasKinger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 14:00   #18889
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh come on . As it is, the NGT disallowed all widening due to Hebbal Lake, and now BMRCL for the last few years.

BMRCL objects to Hebbal flyover plan, work halted

https://www.newindianexpress.com/cit...ed-2286765.amp

Last edited by itwasntme : 8th April 2021 at 14:28.
Old 9th April 2021, 09:03   #18890
Distinguished - BHPian

Not a rant but couldn't resist sharing this. This is how website of a popular news channel wants to represent Bengaluru for a news related to lockdown/curfew:

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_20210409_083117.jpg
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 09:54   #18891
BHPian

Never heard of this setup. I can see how this would be extremely inconvenient for senior citizens living in the area.

https://www.deccanherald.com/amp/met...la-972095.html
JithinR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 10:23   #18892
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
Never heard of this setup. I can see how this would be extremely inconvenient for senior citizens living in the area.
https://www.deccanherald.com/amp/met...la-972095.html
Wow, that's going to be a tough one to solve. While I'm all for pedestrian-only spaces and streets, it's not fair that people who live in that area are not allowed to use their vehicles for days together. And in general I'm pro-pedestrian, but bullying of people on vehicles by groups of pedestrians is as bad as motorbikes riding on footpaths or cars honking and bullying pedestrians on the road!

The cops will have to come up with something innovative to solve this one. Perhaps extra large stickers on vehicles of residents? And signage everywhere that tells people that vehicles with those stickers are allowed? Lots of gaps will be there in implementation, not sure what a good solution is. And why have street festivals, have the streets for pedestrians to walk by all means, but why not designate an open space for these street festivals to prevent blocking the street.

Last edited by am1m : 9th April 2021 at 10:25.
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 11:23   #18893
BHPian

I regularly check for traffic fines even though running of all our vehicles are less. One of our car has a 3 digit number but when I used to check for fines, I used to always type it as 0XXX. Last night I just accidentally typed it as XXX and was shocked to see a fine dated 6.9.20. I then immediately checked with 0XXX and no fine recorded for it! So those who have single/double/triple digit numbers please check without zero as well and hope there's no shock

This is definitely a wrong fine for me because on the date the fine was recorded, my car wasn't even in running condition and was in my basement. Car got back on the road only in October

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_5809.jpg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_5808.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Was astonished to see a 'DRIVING AT EXCESSIVE SPEED 2W/3W/LMV' fine recorded at 'RLVD JUNCTION YELAHANKA' for Rs. 1,000! This is on my normal route, and I had definitely passed through without noticing any interceptor there.
Any idea where this RLVD Junction is? I don't think I've ever been there and have been wrongly fined hehe.
Old 9th April 2021, 11:24   #18894
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Wow, that's going to be a tough one to solve. While I'm all for pedestrian-only spaces and streets, it's not fair that people who live in that area are not allowed to use their vehicles for days together.
It's a matter of execution and people (on both sides) getting used to this system. I remember a similar exercise done for a busy section of MG road in Pune - after a few initial hiccups, that initiative was quite successful and it went on for all weekends for more than a year (IIRC). Several factors helped - a parallel East Street with multiple connecting lanes between MG & East Street that took care of the entry/exit for folks in that area plus a decent amount of acceptance by the large number of business outlets on MG road who were in acceptance for this.

My knowledge on Bangalore is limited, but Church Street does have the parallel MG road on one side atleast so it should be possible in principle to give it a longer try. As it applies to most things, the devil is in the details (of the execution).
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 12:38   #18895
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakuza View Post
Any idea where this RLVD Junction is? I don't think I've ever been there and have been wrongly fined hehe.
RLVD stands for Red Light Violation Detection. NES is the junction code and is the National Employment Services junction at Yelahanka.

I have also been fined twice by that camera system, and I am very careful for red lights!

https://www.deccanherald.com/content...gnal-jump.html
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2021, 09:21   #18896
BHPian

Saw this article in today's The Hindu (Bangalore edition):

Rear view mirrors and indicators are being made mandatory for two wheelers in Bangalore. Bangalore Traffic Police say that this will reduce accidents involving two wheelers. Vehicles without these face fine of Rs.500.

Link

Me thinks: Wasn't it mandatory before as well? Or it took BTP geniuses this long to figure this out! Or this is just another excuse for filling state coffers or cop pockets.
srvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2021, 09:48   #18897
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
Me thinks: Wasn't it mandatory before as well? Or it took BTP geniuses this long to figure this out! Or this is just another excuse for filling state coffers or cop pockets.
It's the latter. They realised the potential of this revenue source and are hooked onto it. Now they're are looking for all possible 'rules' that they can leverage to book folks. Not long before they start examining the thread bits of tyres and condition of brake pads
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2021, 10:34   #18898
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Saw this article in today's The Hindu (Bangalore edition):

Rear view mirrors and indicators are being made mandatory for two wheelers in Bangalore. Bangalore Traffic Police say that this will reduce accidents involving two wheelers. Vehicles without these face fine of Rs.500.
Saw it too. Excellent move in my opinion and will reduce rear-endings and side-swipes dramatically, as riders are drawn to using them.

2-wheelers are certified as roadgoing only if such essential items like mirrors are in place, and removing them for looks or vanity is sheer idiocy.

A couple of months of fines and everyone will put them back.
itwasntme is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th April 2021, 11:17   #18899
BHPian

I'm not sure how this is a money making exercise. If they fine car drivers for not wearing helmets, then yeah, I agree that is to loot people.

But indicators and side rear-view mirrors are highly important for safety. I had suffered an accident and had numerous near misses because the bike in front doesn't care if people are coming from rear and switch lanes at will.

I agree that having them alone is not sufficient. People must be self-aware to use them as well. But these rules are a step in right direction.

Last edited by neelkumar : 10th April 2021 at 11:39.
neelkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2021, 16:37   #18900
Senior - BHPian

I had to drive from Mahalakshmi Layout to Marathalli this morning and had ample amount of time. I usually take ORR but decided to drive through CBD as it has been more than a decade since I drove anywhere in CBD. What I thought would be a peaceful drive on a weekend (with no BMTC buses on the road) turned out to be a royal mess. I was disheartened to see some of the prominent, posh roads from my childhood in pathetic condition. Most of the roads were dug up and completely dusty. Some of the well established roads even had sewage flowing in middle of the road. The so called bad roads in the unplanned greater Bangalore are much better than these roads in CBD. I have never seen Bangalore in this condition since my birth

Quote:
Rear view mirrors and indicators are being made mandatory for two wheelers in Bangalore.
Wish they had extended this rule for auto rickshaws too. I have seen some two wheelers using indicators but rickshaws seldom use them. I can predict which turn a two wheeler is going to take but not with rickshaws.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks