Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Old 12th April 2021, 19:36   #18916
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

So last night on my way from the hospital on the flyover leading to the trumpet exit towards K R Puram, A taxi was coming on the wrong way opposite all other vehicles. Now people who know Hebbal Flyover know that this bit is so narrow that only one vehicle can go at a time, yet there was this guy flashing his lights and waving his arm and coming down on the up ramp. Am sure he got away Scott free.
wildsdi5530 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 14:12   #18917
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
So last night on my way from the hospital on the flyover leading to the trumpet exit towards K R Puram, A taxi was coming on the wrong way opposite all other vehicles. Now people who know Hebbal Flyover know that this bit is so narrow that only one vehicle can go at a time, yet there was this guy flashing his lights and waving his arm and coming down on the up ramp. Am sure he got away Scott free.
I see this all the time Cops are below the flyover busy - I mean catching traffic offenders
Old 19th April 2021, 11:16   #18918
BHPian

I do not understand the purpose of these rumble strips which are essentially more of a speed breaker than rumble strips on ORR near KR Puram/Kalamandir. There should be board signs near these to make people aware. I thought of them as regular rumble strips for the first time and maintained good speed only to be shaken to the bone.
bigDaddy_In is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 16:53   #18919
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigDaddy_In View Post
I do not understand the purpose of these rumble strips which are essentially more of a speed breaker than rumble strips on ORR near KR Puram/Kalamandir. There should be board signs near these to make people aware. I thought of them as regular rumble strips for the first time and maintained good speed only to be shaken to the bone.
This was much needed to help people cross the road. I have waited up to 10 mins to cross the road near kalamandir especially during these lockdown times as vehicle movement is much faster but there are barely any gaps in traffic.

But I agree, there should be a Pedestrian crossing marking, and in fact a speed breaker would have been better than having the series of these strips.
Old 19th April 2021, 18:13   #18920
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhsub View Post
This was much needed to help people cross the road. I have waited up to 10 mins to cross the road near kalamandir especially during these lockdown times as vehicle movement is much faster but there are barely any gaps in traffic.

But I agree, there should be a Pedestrian crossing marking, and in fact a speed breaker would have been better than having the series of these strips.
I think there are big concrete blocks on the median which signifies that the area is not for pedestrian crossing. A footbridge should be constructed, but even if we get a footbridge, how many people would use it? I feel frustrated every time I slow down on ORR because of our fellow citizens who do not know how to utilize the public infrastructure. The ORR was meant for high-speed traffic movement.
Old 19th April 2021, 19:36   #18921
BHPian

The flyover over Nagavara Junction (near Manyata Tech Park) is undergoing the infamous white-topping work alongside with the never-ending Manyata flyover work. The resultant traffic pile-up is bad at most times even during the current situation. Can't even imagine the traffic chaos if there was no pandemic or if the situation were normal.

Also read about the upcoming Metro work along the KR Puram-Silk Board ORR stretch which is scheduled to start soon. Combine that with the 3-lane to 2-lane reduction due to the dedicated bus lane non-sense. My office is on that stretch and I am already having nightmares thinking about the situation when we will be asked to return back to office.

Last edited by Funny : 19th April 2021 at 19:39.
Funny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 20:57   #18922
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigDaddy_In View Post
I think there are big concrete blocks on the median which signifies that the area is not for pedestrian crossing. A footbridge should be constructed, but even if we get a footbridge, how many people would use it? I feel frustrated every time I slow down on ORR because of our fellow citizens who do not know how to utilize the public infrastructure. The ORR was meant for high-speed traffic movement.
There is a proper opening for a pedestrian crossing. The blocks are just make sure the pedestrians dont cross everywhere apart from the space given. Further is a bus stop there, hence there has to be a opening to let pedestrians crossover.

Overall I am not a big fan of overbridges given thats not very inclusive. A 10-15 second stop every 5 mins or so is the way to go, unfortunately it wont work in India given the unruly motorists and jaywalkers who are blind to all signals.
anandhsub is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 19:39   #18923
Senior - BHPian

Phase 2A (ORR Line) Stations
Silkboard KR Puram with 13 stations at KR Puram (interchange with the under construction Purple Line), Mahadevpura, DRDO Sports Complex, Doddanakundi, ISRO, Marathahalli, Kodibisanahalli, Kadubeesanahalli, Bellandur, Ibbalur, Agara Lake, HSR Layout, Silk Board (interchange with the upcoming Yellow Line).

Phase 2B (Airport Line) Stations
KR Puram Kempegowda International Airport with 17 stations at Kasturinagara, Horamavu, HRBR Layout, Kalyan Nagar, HBR layout, Nagawara (Interchange with Pink Line), Veerannapalya, Kempapura, Hebbal, Kodigehalli, Jakkur Cross, Yelahanka (erst. Kogilu Cross), Bagalur Cross, Bettahalasuru, Doddajala (formerly Trumpet Junction), Airport City and KIAL Terminals

Metro 2A & 2B Route map

Name:  BangaloreMetroBlueLine.jpg
Views: 1543
Size:  84.0 KB

Source: https://themetrorailguy.com/2021/04/...s-phase-2a-2b/
msdivy is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 19:49   #18924
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Phase 2A (ORR Line) Stations

So that marks the start to Tin Factory apocalypse part 2. Imagine one metro station, four metro tracks, a truckload of portal beams across the road from the Benniganahalli Underbridge until KR Puram railway station being constructed in the coming months in addition to the works happening currently. All this in what is one of the biggest traffic bottlenecks of Bengaluru.

Wonder how this junction would look in two years from now.
Old 22nd April 2021, 20:05   #18925
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
KR Puram Kempegowda International Airport with 17 stations at Kasturinagara, Horamavu, HRBR Layout, Kalyan Nagar, HBR layout, Nagawara (Interchange with Pink Line), Veerannapalya, Kempapura, Hebbal, Kodigehalli, Jakkur Cross, Yelahanka (erst. Kogilu Cross), Bagalur Cross, Bettahalasuru, Doddajala (formerly Trumpet Junction), Airport City and KIAL Terminals
Will the Airport line ticket rates be much higher than the other lines?
Old 22nd April 2021, 21:28   #18926
BHPian

Quote:
Will the Airport line ticket rates be much higher than the other lines?
Why even bother with the price? Probably, the Boring Company Tunnel would be ready before the airport line becomes operational
Old 10th May 2021, 17:56   #18927
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

There are some extremely mentally sick individuals of rather large networths, using the rather empty roads in Bangalore as a way to push their vehicles to speeds in short but horrifying bursts, this is EXACTLY the reason I have utmost contempt for speed demons.

Not only is the situation in India grim biologically, but also mentally and financially, in times like these, extreme psychopaths have chosen to flaunt their power and muscle by doing this with Jaguars, Mercs and fancy bikes of orange (notorious as usual) and green.

Everytime I write here about overspeeding, I know my posts would be looked down upon by the general audience with the rationale being that speed is there to be enjoyed, and that all places worldwide allow this and what not, I for one am sick of this display, India is not the country for such stunts, we know tens upon thousands who've been killed this way, the highways are littered with roadkill which simply doesn't even cause regret to these psychopaths.

These vehicles have large A4 printouts about being COVID 19 Emergency services, or emergency ambulance (in a Polo GT! My legs don't fit into that tiny car's rear, leave alone patients) and they are the ones treating the roads like a drag strip.

I'm exhausted, the day mankind still does human things like exploitation, rule breaking and lying even at a time like today, it shows that the world truly has come to an end and in more ways than one, desrves to.
dark.knight is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 12:01   #18928
BHPian

At the place where I stay, the police have barricaded junctions below flyovers and have also closed down 2 railway gates which are a km away from each other. This junction under the flyover and the 2 railway gates are a vital link for people residing in our area to reach the other side which has markets, essential shops and most importantly hospitals like Ramaiah.

With all the access closed to reach the other side, one has to drive down 2 kms to Hebbal Jn and another 5 kms from there to reach Ramaiah Hospital, is this something you want to do in an emergency?, it's easier for police to barricade important link roads and sit at a shaded place and spend time.

Adding to the agony, vehicle traffic which used to take the main road to reach the junction are now entering the residential area causing inconvenience and traffic. Took to Twitter and dropped a tweet tagging BTP and was surprised to see so many similar tweets with videos showing bumper to bumper traffic in tiny roads. Not a police in sight!!!
FURY_44 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 19:22   #18929
Senior - BHPian

A query I had was does the lockdown mean that traffic signals need not be followed anymore? Red lights are being jumped with impunity even by heavy trucks, even in the so called zero tolerance junctions like Hebbal and Yeshwanthpur. It has become risky to stop at red lights for fear of being mowed down by a truck.
wildsdi5530 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 20:13   #18930
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
even in the so called zero tolerance junctions like Hebbal and Yeshwanthpur. It has become risky to stop at red lights for fear of being mowed down by a truck.
Zero tolerance junction? I pity whoever came up with such fancy phrase in the name of patting each others' backs and still allowing all of this to happen at a Zero tolerance junction:

This is from pre-covid days, and the blue signage indicates that it is a Zero tolerance junction.

And mind you, right at this junction on the left of the blue board is Yelahanka Traffic Police station

Last edited by paragsachania : 18th May 2021 at 20:15.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed