Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2021, 20:16   #18931
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Shouldn't every traffic signal be zero-tolerance ?
This implies that there are other traffic signal junctions that are non-zero tolerant towards violation. Such an oxymoron this nomenclature is.

It's like saying "im 99% athiest, but the remaining 1% I am a sincere believer".
venkyhere is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 20:45   #18932
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
A query I had was does the lockdown mean that traffic signals need not be followed anymore? Red lights are being jumped with impunity even by heavy trucks, even in the so called zero tolerance junctions like Hebbal and Yeshwanthpur. It has become risky to stop at red lights for fear of being mowed down by a truck.
Total immunity for Swiggy, Zomato and Dunzo guys, who ride on footpaths, against one ways, over your toes (happened with me), etc, thanks to their teaming up with the rental electric bikes with no registration plates and no legal precedence, free pass by the bribe police and of course, the public saluting them for their services. Rashly, horribly driven.

Second in line come the Tempo Travellers and all Covid-19 "essential" private vehicles.

No surprises though, this is more or less in line with the country's compliance capabilities.
dark.knight is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 21:27   #18933
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
And mind you, right at this junction on the left of the blue board is Yelahanka Traffic Police station
Add to this, the vehicles coming out of RMZ galleria mall who don't want to go ahead for the U turn.

I thought Zero Tolerance junctions had cameras with automatic challan system?

But to their credit, there are occasionally some cops standing just after the turn to selectively catch wrong doers.

BTW the road to the left is one of the places where I cross every evening and am scared that a truck will reared me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
all Covid-19 "essential" private vehicles.
You forgot the Taxi unions who are also exempted.

I saw a Porsche Macan delivering emergency Oxygen services parked by the roadside a couple of days back.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 19th May 2021 at 10:55. Reason: Spelling mistake due to auto correct / spacing for improved readability
wildsdi5530 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 22:13   #18934
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

CCTV cameras are very much active and violators will receive challans later for offences. This happened last year also. Though the quantum of challans is anybody’s guess. A person i know received total challans of Rs. 8,000 for various offences like jumping signals, riding without helmet etc

Rampant violation of traffic rules is visible everyday under the guise of lockdown. Jumping signals, riding without helmets, multiple people on two wheelers, over speeding, etc.
Old 28th May 2021, 22:09   #18935
BHPian

How is the checking on movement of cars in Bengalooru? We have to drive to a farm in Kengeri from JP Nagar to get some food and medicine for our guinea pigs (safely!), but I am scared of vigilantes.
Old 29th May 2021, 08:50   #18936
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nma83 View Post
How is the checking on movement of cars in Bengalooru? We have to drive to a farm in Kengeri from JP Nagar to get some food and medicine for our guinea pigs (safely!), but I am scared of vigilantes.
Suggest you speak with your local traffic police station before stepping out.

I did about 53 kms yesterday for my vaccination. Gubbalala to Doddanakundi and back. Did not feel like lockdown was being enforced at all. Felt like typical Sunday traffic with several traffic jams at every junction. To make things worse all the traffic signals had been switched off. Was stopped at HSR on the way back, all I had to do was flash my arm and they let me pass, and for this part in particular, I truly appreciate BTP for not fishing further.
vinu_h is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2021, 12:00   #18937
Distinguished - BHPian

Closing off public access (red line, my highlight) through Jalahalli Air Force Base has long been discussed BUT now looks very likely. Going to affect a great many people, because:

1. There are no practical alternative roads, and
2. The GoKA has ever bothered to deal with this matter.

https://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.c...w/83046311.cms
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-screenshot_20210529113913.jpg  

Last edited by itwasntme : 29th May 2021 at 12:05.
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2021, 18:46   #18938
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Closing off public access (red line, my highlight) through Jalahalli Air Force Base has long been discussed BUT now looks very likely. Going to affect a great many people, because:

1. There are no practical alternative roads, and
2. The GoKA has ever bothered to deal with this matter.
I suppose, this will now have a cascading effect on Hebbal flyover, which already is overburdened.
Old 6th June 2021, 20:48   #18939
Senior - BHPian

Last Friday we went to our outer ring road office near Kadubeesanahalli for vaccination. We were not stopped, although saw partial barricading at multiple spots. It seems they have closed number of entry/exit points to and from service roads to ORR. I think after people return to offices, ORR traffic will be quite a mess with the bus lane and confusing entry/exit points.
Old 7th June 2021, 10:57   #18940
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
Last Friday we went to our outer ring road office near Kadubeesanahalli for vaccination. We were not stopped, although saw partial barricading at multiple spots. It seems they have closed number of entry/exit points to and from service roads to ORR. I think after people return to offices, ORR traffic will be quite a mess with the bus lane and confusing entry/exit points.
I don't think the bus lanes would survive. With Namma Metro work on ORR about to start in few months and would start to occupy the median. With offices not opening for at least few more months, we will have the bus lanes gone by then. What a colossal waste of time, effort and money on these bus lanes and barricades when the metro work was in the pipeline. I guess somebody had to be make some money and they made it.
nagarjun is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th June 2021, 21:00   #18941
Distinguished - BHPian

Going to be interesting from tomorrow! Have a couple of questions:

1. Even though UB City (mall) will continue to be closed, is the parking (MLCP) open?
2. Any idea of the roadwork status on the Hebbal-KR Puram-Hebbal stretch?
Old 14th June 2021, 08:26   #18942
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Going to be interesting from tomorrow! Have a couple of questions:

1. Even though UB City (mall) will continue to be closed, is the parking (MLCP) open?
I am in office from today (Lavelle Road). On the way there, did notice a few cars entering UB city mall, so I am assuming parking is open (mall is closed of course). Not sure about this though.

On another note, there are mindless road closures all over the city. No signage of diversion, just some police barricades blocking important arterial roads every now and then. No policemen in sight to even man them. These create massive road hazards since one has to drive on the wrong side of the road from these diversions onwards to the next open intersection. Extremely dangerous, especially at night or early morning when motorists are maintaining higher speeds than usual. Utterly brainless implementation of road blockage by the authorities, creating no benefit other than nuisance for road users.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 14th June 2021 at 08:55.
arindambasu13 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 08:42   #18943
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
I am in office from today (Lavelle Road). On the way there, did notice a few cars entering UB city mall, so I am assuming parking is open (mall is closed of course). Not sure about this though.
Thanks! They could be the employee vehicles whose offices are there. I hope they will allow Pay-and-Park inside. That area is a pain to park in - don't want to leave my car on the road on that digital parking stretch. But may not have any option frankly if UBC is closed.
Old 14th June 2021, 09:33   #18944
BHPian

Quote:
2. Any idea of the roadwork status on the Hebbal-KR Puram-Hebbal stretch?
I can answer this question - I had been there on Friday.
For Hebbal - KR Puram stretch, the only change is on the Veerannapalya and Nagwara flyover. They are reduced to two lanes.
For KR Puram - Hebbal stretch, you have to be careful to get onto the flyover in Nagwara. Remain on the right lane as you approach. Else you will need to go below and the road is non existent there.
Other stretches are all complete. Of course, KR Puram metro station construction is in full swing, there are lots of blocks due to this.
Old 14th June 2021, 10:45   #18945
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Total immunity for Swiggy, Zomato and Dunzo guys, who ride on footpaths, against one ways, over your toes (happened with me), etc, thanks to their teaming up with the rental electric bikes with no registration plates and no legal precedence, free pass by the bribe police and of course, the public saluting them for their services. Rashly, horribly driven.

Second in line come the Tempo Travellers and all Covid-19 "essential" private vehicles.

No surprises though, this is more or less in line with the country's compliance capabilities.
I think there should be a big overhaul of the driving licenses issued. Instead of NRC which requires everyone to prove their citizenship again, we should have a new law to prove that those with DLs are actually fit to drive and know the rules. There should be tougher driving tests like advanced countries and those who fail should have their licenses cancelled. I know this sounds ridiculous but if it makes our roads safer, saves lives, why not?
CarNerd is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed