Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2021, 19:43   #19006
Team-BHP Support

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

The worst part isn't the ding, it's the nonchalant 'kuch nahi hua' (nothing happened) that follows.

Needs inner peace to deal with.
Old 20th August 2021, 20:19   #19007
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

What's the latest on the HSRP implementation in Karnataka, especially for older vehicles that have the old style registration number plates ?
My sister has been stopped twice in the last month on her scooter by traffic cops on the outer ring road between Tin factory and Hebbal junction. Both times she had all papers in order and the cop said the only violation is the non-compliant number plates that need to be replaced 'as soon as possible' and they're letting her off with a 'warning'. Apparently the cops said the new 'IND' plates are mandatory since last few months.

Just wanted to make sure it's not a new scam or the big ego of policemen when they don't find a valid reason to fine/challan ? Also, two wheelers seem to be their easiest target these days when they just want some way to get revenue into their pockets/government coffers

If indeed this is implemented and now mandatory for older vehicles to sport the new plates, how does one go about procuring them ?

Last edited by NPV : 20th August 2021 at 20:21.
Old 20th August 2021, 20:26   #19008
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post

If indeed this is implemented and now mandatory for older vehicles to sport the new plates, how does one go about procuring them ?
I think the ask is to have the IND plates and not necessarily HSRP, the one which have number embossed and not the sticker plates. Lot of people are using sticker number plates, and that is the one that are being targeted. Even I was fined for having a fancy plate sometime back, since then I have moved to IND plates.
AtheK is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 20:28   #19009
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Regarding HSRP there is no deadline yet for old vehicles. Transport department is still to finalize a vendor who will be supplying for old vehicles and then they will be giving a deadline of few years is what was mentioned.

But the above mentioned incident is something common I suppose, on Haralur road this has become a common incident. They stop you, if all papers are fine, challan mentioning that number plate is not proper.

You can find the news article about HSRP process here.
mpksuhas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 20:38   #19010
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
...the cops said the new 'IND' plates are mandatory since last few months...
That's BS. Karnataka had to cancel the whole HSRP process they tried in 2013 due to legal issues with the vendor. It was sorted out only recently (I'd posted this on the HSRP thread), and they're planning to reinitiate with a fresh tender. 3-5 years timeline has been speculated, but no official announcement of any sort yet.

The cops are just trying to find excuses to challan motorists. Those blue-strip IND marking fake HSRPs are no better than any non-HSRP plates. Any two-wheeler dealer can get you a set for a nominal charge, if you'd like to get an interim set for peace of mind until real HSRPs are made available by KA RTOs.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 20th August 2021 at 20:39.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 23:12   #19011
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks guys. This is really some harassment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
But the above mentioned incident is something common I suppose, on Haralur road this has become a common incident. They stop you, if all papers are fine, challan mentioning that number plate is not proper.
The rear number plate of my scooter is a painted one and I've never been stopped/challaned. At the front, the number was stickered onto the body panel but 2-3 years ago I fixed the plate (it needed drilling holes on the panel) but has stickered numbers! I got this done since at that time there was a drive where cops insisted on a separate plate at the front.

So, on haralur road when they fine someone what are they asking them to get - painted or embossed plates ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Even I was fined for having a fancy plate sometime back, since then I have moved to IND plates.
Can you share a picture of the plate or a sample from some site ?
Reason I'm asking is because even those hologram stickers and black/blue/red patched ones are illegal, so I'm guessing they're only insisting on embossed plates ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
The cops are just trying to find excuses to challan motorists. Those blue-strip IND marking fake HSRPs are no better than any non-HSRP plates. Any two-wheeler dealer can get you a set for a nominal charge, if you'd like to get an interim set for peace of mind until real HSRPs are made available by KA RTOs.
So one way out to avoid an argument with these senseless cops is to get embossed plates with just IND and no separate blue/red/black colored patch (I don't see ones without IND in online stores) ?
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2021, 00:19   #19012
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My scooter dealer put these on mine in 2015, front and back. Never been bothered by cops yet.

The hologram doesn't appear to have any text on it. You can probably find similar ones without the colored strip in the open market.

Come to think of it, such plates are (or should probably be) illegal for impersonating real HSRPs, but arguing with the infinite wisdom of our bureacracy is futile.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_20210820_235521__01__01__01.jpg

Quote:
...what are they asking them to get - painted or embossed plates ?
You know what, why not ask them next time? Or even better, tweet it to the traffic police commissioner for clarification. If they're upholding a standard, it's upto them to clarify what the standard actually is, so public can comply.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 21st August 2021 at 00:31.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st August 2021, 06:26   #19013
BHPian

I was stopped twice (around HSR area) recently and I had bought my car recently and the numberplate was definitely illegal. I asked the same question about what plates should I put. The answer was a clear IND plates that any number plate guy will put in 30 min.
After that I spoke to multiple number plate vendors as well as others and the general consensus seems to be that for old vehicles the only number plate available is the embossed IND ones - not the HSRP ones.
Once I changed the plates I have not been caught even once (earlier got caught twice in a span of just a week).
deep_bang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2021, 10:40   #19014
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Reason I'm asking is because even those hologram stickers and black/blue/red patched ones are illegal, so I'm guessing they're only insisting on embossed plates ?
It's the same that chetan shared, after putting these have never been stopped. I have now even put it on my 12 year old bike. I would rather spend 500 bucks and have a little more peace of mind, then to argue with them everytime.
AtheK is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2021, 09:55   #19015
BHPian

Quote:
What's the latest on the HSRP implementation in Karnataka, especially for older vehicles that have the old style registration number plates ?

Just wanted to make sure it's not a new scam or the big ego of policemen when they don't find a valid reason to fine/challan ? ?
The traffic cops have been catching 2 wheelers for not having High security plates for over a year now. I was caught last year and was let off with a warning. I got the plates the same day from a neighbour hood license plate seller, who in turn got it from his regular source. I got the new plates the very next day.
Old 22nd August 2021, 10:14   #19016
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar C E View Post
I got the plates the same day from a neighbour hood license plate seller, who in turn got it from his regular source. I got the new plates the very next day.
That sounds suspiciously easy. Are you sure you got the true HSRP; made with laser engraved, hot-stamped, reflective aluminium sheet that are fixed with snap locks? Also the mandatory sticker on the windshield?

Also the process I believe starts with an application to the RTO and not with simply walking into the neighbourhood number plate seller? Did the plate seller manage the RTO part for you?
binand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2021, 10:32   #19017
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar C E View Post
The traffic cops have been catching 2 wheelers for not having High security plates for over a year now. I was caught last year and was let off with a warning. I got the plates the same day from a neighbour hood license plate seller, who in turn got it from his regular source. I got the new plates the very next day.
What you got is not a HSRP plate

HSRP implementation will take more time in Karnataka. We will need to get them from the RTO probably through an authorised vendor. Currently, cops are just insisting on Aluminium plates with letters and numbers embossed on them.

In fact, as per current CMV rules, they should not even sport text like IND, hologram stickers and even the Red/Blue patches that are some of the styles these embossed plates are available in at local shops! But the cops at this moment seem to be focussed just on the embossed plates and ignoring these additional styling elements. I heard from a friend that the cops are justifying saying crime with fake number plates is on the rise.

Last edited by NPV : 22nd August 2021 at 10:39.
NPV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2021, 12:07   #19018
BHPian

Quote:
What you got is not a HSRP plate
Yes you are right! The plates are embossed ones with "IND" mark. Sorry I jumped the gun
Sridhar C E is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2021, 13:25   #19019
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So, on haralur road when they fine someone what are they asking them to get - painted or embossed plates ?
embossed plates with just IND and no separate blue/red/black colored patch (I don't see ones without IND in online stores) ?
They are not asking anything specific, they are just mentioning that the number plate is not as per proper format.

Unless you have any designs or the blue/ red/ black strips that you mentioned it should be fine.

If you want to go strictly by the book, you can refer this (IND-style Number Plates : Movell, Orbiz etc.).

However, if you are planning on changing the plates before HSRP rule gets implemented in KA, you can AVOID getting formats 1/2/3 and go for the 4th / circled format listed here.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2021, 15:42   #19020
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
However, if you are planning on changing the plates before HSRP rule gets implemented in KA, you can AVOID getting formats 1/2/3 and go for the 4th / circled format listed here.
Yes, I'm getting the simple embossed plates from a local shop but they don't have the ones without IND.

The letters and numbers have black stickers on them with a watermark kind of text (INDIA) running diagonally, I've asked him to avoid that and just make it fully black.

Couple years ago I got similar ones from Movell for my Dzire car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks