Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2021, 08:58   #19081
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by himarg View Post
If my memory serves me right, aren't many (rather most, barring the one at Ecospace) of these foot over bridges very recent additions? Recent as in... last 6 months recent?
Yep, one of them at least was opened just a few months before lockdown. I used to drop my wife there so she could cross the road to her office and then I'd go on to my office up the road. She was waiting for a long time for that pedestrian overbridge to come up and it was a big relief for her when it was put up, crossing the road became much easier and safer. Now, they're going to pull it down again and also erect barricades in the middle of the road for metro construction. (Fortunately for her, their org is one of the enlightened ones that decided to permanently shut their office mid-way through the lockdown, so she gets to work from home for ever and escape that horrible area.) Wonder how the pedestrians will manage now. This has got to be the most pedestrian-unfriendly area in Bangalore and that's saying a lot in a basically pedestrian-unfriendly city! So much for the 'world-class' 'hi-tech' IT zones. All hot air!

Quote:
Wondering whether the agency that built them didn't get the memo on ORR metro construction.
Oh they're a lot smarter than we think. All this circus is deliberate just to make money, a city that is always 'under construction' will always have opportunities for tenders, bidding, bribes, favours...and all with our tax money!

Last edited by am1m : 16th September 2021 at 09:19.
am1m is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 05:08   #19082
BHPian

A clarification from BMRCL. No flyover to be demolished, rather only a couple of FOBs, for now.

https://m.timesofindia.com/city/beng...w/86268201.cms
himarg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 07:22   #19083
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Yep, tenders, bidding, bribes, favours...and all with our tax money!
True that, if I have to list down some of the worst places to walk or drive in Bangalore, Ecospace surroundings top the list.

1. Ecospace
2. Silk Board
3. Tin Factory
4. Corporation circle
5. Gorguntepalya
6. Whole of Bannerghatta road

I just wish work from home continues for atleast another 1 year, so that metro construction on my office route is hopefully completed by then.
SS80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 09:38   #19084
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS80 View Post
True that, if I have to list down some of the worst places to walk or drive in Bangalore, Ecospace surroundings top the list.

1. Ecospace
2. Silk Board
3. Tin Factory
4. Corporation circle
5. Gorguntepalya
6. Whole of Bannerghatta road

I just wish work from home continues for atleast another 1 year, so that metro construction on my office route is hopefully completed by then.
Ecospace at least had foot over bridge, at kadubeesanalli(Wells Fargo) they have just built a new FOW during pandemic. Here crossing road was almost like life and death situation daily. Pedestrians had to risk their life negotiating speeding vehicles, I myself almost got hit by car couple of times when trying to cross the road.
shamanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 09:46   #19085
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Oh they're a lot smarter than we think....

...all with our tax money!
Hanlon's Razor works both ways! What we tend to write off as general incompetence is often intentional malice.

I surmise they want us to think it's the former, because being incompetent isn't illegal.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 14:10   #19086
Distinguished - BHPian

New, irritating rumble strips at the bottom of the under-pass at JP Nagar 15th cross/Ring Road. There is one in the East to West dir, and Two in the West-to-East direction

Old 18th September 2021, 14:46   #19087
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
New, irritating rumble strips at the bottom of the under-pass at JP Nagar 15th cross/Ring Road. There is one in the East to West dir, and Two in the West-to-East direction

These are now all over the ORR. The first time I drove over them at around 30 I could feel the car losing control.

Tip: the strips on the right lane are relatively more flattened, I guess by the 18 wheelers at night.
Old 18th September 2021, 15:06   #19088
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post

When the ORR from KR puram to Hebbal was whitetopped, road humps followed to 'control' speed. It was a disaster . Then three humps reduced to one which eventually became half and one day vanished. Now in those same areas, rumble strips or something like that is existing which is hardly visible until you are almost next to it! Most vehicles slow down suddenly catching all by surprise!. On top of it just before the Ramamurthy Nagar junction, it is a curve .

Cherry on the cake is that almost everyone is in two minds whether to slow down or just go through!.
Nalin1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 15:09   #19089
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
Now in those same areas, rumble strips or something like that is existing which is hardly visible until you are almost next to it! Most vehicles slow down suddenly catching all by surprise!.

Cherry on the cake is that almost everyone is in two minds whether to slow down or just go through!.
These are the points that can cause issues. Some folks slow down, but the guy behind him is not aware and is coming at his previous speed. Easy situation for a rear-ending.

And no markings or sign-boards :(
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 15:55   #19090
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
These irritating rumbler strips have appeared all over the place on ORR between Mysore Road and Tumkur Road after the white topping work was completed recently. I’m a regular on this stretch and the best way I have learnt to tackle them is to just maintain speeds. The regulars on this stretch are aware of this but as you mentioned, anyone driving for the first time will be in two minds. This causes numerous close calls and at least 1-2 rear endings per day.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 18th September 2021 at 15:56.
guyfrmblr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 06:50   #19091
BHPian

Bangalore is perennially stuck in its small town mentality, which it hasn't outgrown till date, in the sense: It's residents and city fathers are perennially in 2 minds as regards the question: Do we want high speed mobility on main thuroughfares like the ORR or don't we?

As a result, some are proponents of incentivizing high speed road travel and designing other structures (eg. slanted merges and exits, skywalks, etc) and rules to aid that while yet being safe; while some others are proponents of disincentivizing high speed road travel as a blanket ban (rumblers, speedbumps, moronic 90 degree angle merges/exits, etc).

What to do!

Last edited by vharihar : 21st September 2021 at 06:53.
vharihar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 08:22   #19092
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A clarification from BMRCL. No flyover to be demolished, rather only a couple of FOBs, for now.

https://m.timesofindia.com/city/beng...w/86268201.cms
I'm wondering what will happen at Marathahalli junction. Won't they have to bring down that flyover?

I just can't imagine the chaos if they really have to bring down that flyover. It's the only connection to Whitefield.

Another similar problem area would be the flyover at Sarjapur road tri-junction (at Microsoft building). Wouldn't that need to be brought down?
Old 21st September 2021, 13:54   #19093
BHPian

Quote:
rumbler strips
Quote:
just maintain speeds
The issue is that not all of them have same height; like the rumble strips corridor of Nayandahalli - Peenya stretch of the ORR. Some of them abused by trucks already, can be negotiated at speed, others will certainly give you osteo therapy whether you asked for it or not.

Rumble strips make sense on the highways, to aware the driver of an upcoming junction. For example, the ones on Belagavi-Satara stretch, where the distance between strips gradually decrease as one nears the junction, is the right design IMO. They are certainly not applicable to city roads. Honestly, a well-designed speed breaker is better than them.
mayukh42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 17:49   #19094
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayukh42 View Post
Rumble strips make sense on the highways, to aware the driver of an upcoming junction. For example, the ones on Belagavi-Satara stretch, where the distance between strips gradually decrease as one nears the junction, is the right design IMO. They are certainly not applicable to city roads. Honestly, a well-designed speed breaker is better than them.
In other countries, speed humps are as rare as hen's teeth. I only saw them in residential zones.

The correct approach is to have progressive warning signs about the need to slow down for upcoming hazards like curves, rumble strips, barriers, etc.

Everything else are themselves hazards.
proton is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 17:58   #19095
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by proton View Post
In other countries, speed humps are as rare as hen's teeth. I only saw them in residential zones.
You don't have to go to other countries, most states outside KA have far fewer speed-breakers.
Jaguar is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks