Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2021, 12:14   #19156
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by doxinboy View Post
Sorry two wheelers, I lost sympathy for you. Joy is the day it pours buckets that you are forced off road so I can discover the joy of driving in the city.
For two wheelers especially in Bangalore, its like will drive however we want, its four wheelers job to save their life.

Having driven in Hyderabad for 6 years, the rashness of bangalore Two-wheelers is nothing compared to other cities. Almost everyone ride in insane manner even ladies, almost feels like they think they are gladiators trying to survive, they dare you to hit them.

Having said that Hyderabad you might see people riding in wrong way in old city and all, but they are still mindful and not rash. Here in Bangalore even wrong side driving is high speed and rash.

And one thing which is helping Bangalore riders is Humps, in Hyderabad there are no humps so two wheelers are bit fearful of speeding cars and roads are wider, but in bangalore there are so many humps every 100 mts, it wont let cars speed and two wheelers play the game.

2018 when i shifted back to bangalore, it was difficult to get driving, cars were driving couple of inches apart, while in hyderabad it was couple of feet distance.

I myself ride two of my two wheelers, but the way two wheelers ride in Bangalore, its suicidal. Car drivers have to save them from accidents.
shamanth is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 12:16   #19157
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post

Btw, what's with Google Maps these days, that it shows a regular traffic / ETA when you begin your journey and "adjust" estimates only when you are close to such problem spots?
Nothing new (IMO) - that's always my experience with GMaps around traffic heavy locations in Bangalore and Mumbai (haven't experienced in other cities/locations). For example, for an important meeting back in 2019, GMaps told me ~70 mins at 9.00 am departure for 11 am meeting. By the time I reached the destination (Marathalli), it was 11:15 am.

Multiple times from my office in Dadar (Mumbai) to my home in Powai would show about ~1 hour time when I leave office. Realistically it would vary from 50 mins to 2 hours depending on my luck and traffic that day.
Old 28th October 2021, 07:54   #19158
BHPian

As an offshoot of Bangalore's traffic woes - thanks to the suicidal two wheelers, the lockdowns over the last two years have had an un-expected side effect.

While the users of roads in Coimbatore are no angels themselves, at least, one could at least see the last vestiges of courtesy to a fellow road user and there was some order amidst the chaos that is our traffic.

The lockdowns sent people back to their "hometown" from Bangalore, and with them, it sent the indiscipline on the roads. In the recent past, I see a lot of KA registered cars and bikes disrupting the "order amongst the chaos" by being absolute road bullies. So much so that the locals have now started riding on the footpaths.

Of course, the sudden spurt in flyover constructions is also to blame in part. But the writing is clear on the wall. Traffic discipline, or whatever remained of it in Coimbatore, is also fast heading the Bangalore way
krishsreedharan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 10:08   #19159
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishsreedharan View Post
So much so that the locals have now started riding on the footpaths.
I too used to wonder if this was a Bangalore phenomenon/"innovation". Never used to see riding on footpaths in other cities, even those that had wrong side riding and other stupidities. But it's been widespread in Bangalore for some time now and even I think it spread from my beloved city to infect the rest of the country.

Height of stupidity, after drunken driving this should carry the most severe traffic penalty!

I have another theory that Bangalore-vehicles are getting a domestic travel reputation like Americans have globally. No one likes us, and our tourism changes places for the worse, but they can't say no to the money that that tourism brings in!

Last edited by am1m : 28th October 2021 at 10:12.
am1m is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 12:08   #19160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishsreedharan View Post
In the recent past, I see a lot of KA registered cars and bikes disrupting the "order amongst the chaos" by being absolute road bullies.
I have, in pre-pandemic days, made the exact same observation in Chennai and Kochi - that the proportion of road bullies is highest among KA-registered vehicles than any other. Why would Coimbatore be an exception? :-)
Old 28th October 2021, 15:26   #19161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
I too used to wonder if this was a Bangalore phenomenon/"innovation". ------But it's been widespread in Bangalore for some time now and even I think it spread from my beloved city to infect the rest of the country.

Height of stupidity, after drunken driving this should carry the most severe traffic penalty!
Just today, I was driving relatively peacefully and there was another car to my left and I was on the inner most lane. Out of the blue, around a corner, comes this idiot on a two wheeler from the opposite direction, helmetless, inner most lane, at speed, and to top it all, speaking on the phone (meaning one handed riding) with not a care in the world, expecting me to avoid him. If I unfortunately hit him, it would be my fault since I am in a "bigger vehicle" and unless I want Police etc involvement, I will have to pay him to get away from that situation. What a world / city we live in
Old 28th October 2021, 15:47   #19162
Distinguished - BHPian

While driving along the Bellary Road, I passed an Ace truck doing all of ~15 kmph in the fast lane. Cannot imagine what the idiot was thinking driving at such low speeds.

Stopped at the police interceptor vehicle and told him about the matter. He promised to stop and fine the idiot for "Lane Discipline". Was glad to see their positive attitude - the Inspector and his team immediately agreed that such slow-moving light trucks/vans/autos are responsible for many of the Bellary Road rear-endings these days.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 28th October 2021 at 17:11. Reason: typo: kmph
itwasntme is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 10:20   #19163
BHPian

OT: Is there still a night curfew in Bangalore? The last order I see is on Oct 11th which was in effect till Oct 25th but I don't see any order post that.

However I don't see any Govt order that says night curfew has ended as well.
Old 29th October 2021, 11:25   #19164
Senior - BHPian

In most cities, speed humps will be placed on interior roads just before they join major roads, so that traffic will slow down and yield before merging into the major road.

But in Bangalore, it is mostly the other way round.

In some cases speed humps are placed on the major roadboth before and after the interior road joins the major road.
adisan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 11:58   #19165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhsub View Post
OT: Is there still a night curfew in Bangalore? The last order I see is on Oct 11th which was in effect till Oct 25th but I don't see any order post that.

However I don't see any Govt order that says night curfew has ended as well.
If you are concerned with this night curfew rubbish because you have some commute during those hours, then you can carry on with your activity. You will be in no danger of being stopped or questioned.

Yes, it makes a difference to business establishments only as cops go around forcing them to bring down the shutters at 9 or 10 or whatever time Covid starts its night shift.

Last edited by Aditya : 3rd November 2021 at 18:32. Reason: Word replaced
Nalin1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 12:53   #19166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
If you are concerned with this night curfew crap because you have some commute during those hours, then you can carry on with your activity. You will be in no danger of being stopped or questioned.

Yes, it makes a difference to business establishments only as cops go around forcing them to bring down the shutters at 9 or 10 or whatever time Covid starts its night shift.
Oh no. I anyway have an authorisation letter for my office commute. My question is more for whether establishments are open post 10 since 25th.
Old 29th October 2021, 18:52   #19167
BHPian

A few bollards just ahead of Rainbow have been removed
Sensible move and it should be replicated at all places where the lanes are blocked for pillar work.
LonelyPlanet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 11:28   #19168
BHPian

Just traveled on ORR - Hebbal on Monday at 11 AM. No Jams or hold ups till Hebbal from KR Pura side. Flyover in-front of Manyata Tech Park is open. Hope travel on this side will be breeze here after.
_chikku is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 12:37   #19169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chikku View Post
Just traveled on ORR - Hebbal on Monday at 11 AM. No Jams or hold ups till Hebbal from KR Pura side. Flyover in-front of Manyata Tech Park is open. Hope travel on this side will be breeze here after.
Nagwara flyover is one way again today. So Jam just in front of Adishakthi Tata motors. Not sure of the reason though.
Old 3rd November 2021, 19:42   #19170
Distinguished - BHPian

Art of doing the same again and again and expecting different results.

Quote:
From tomorrow 10 AM, sarjapura junction to Hosur Road and
And
Sarjapur junction to kripanidhi junction roads are made TWO WAY from existing ONE WAY.
Please see map.
Please broadcast
Regards
Dcp traffic east
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img20211103wa0013.jpg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img20211103wa0012.jpg
mpksuhas is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks