Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2021, 11:59   #19366
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
They take left at Jalahalli cross and proceed via Ayyappa temple road - BEL , so may have escaped further delays.
The road around this stretch have become a nightmare in recent times. Last month, I was stuck for 2 hours trying to cross a 1.5Km stretch from Peenya station to HMT layout - reason, it was gridlocked from all sides with everyone using the wrong road side of the road and stuck at the junction cause of the mirror effect on the other side. Such traffic gridlocks have become the norm of late here and it easily overflows into the Neelamangala highway on one side, Ayappa temple road on another and the Bel-Circle - HMT layout road on the third.

There are other annoying issues on the Bangalore-Nelamangala highway. The signal right at the junction where the Nelamangala toll road lands near Peenya metro and the next one that is near the Taj hotel / Gorguntepalaya Metro are choc-o-block no matter what time of the day it is. All the interstate KSRTC buses and the BMTC buses simply stop right after the Taj signal with utter disregard for for the traffic pileup behind them. The posse of policeman at the junction just don't seem to care about it. I fail to understand what senses needs to be knocked into the brains of our idiot policy makers to fix these problems. All it takes is a simple move to shift the bus stop ahead by a few 100 meters ahead and enforce it. The traffic logjam in these signals have been the norm for years now and keeps getting worse by the day, yet there is no positive move to decongest this section. Thank god there is no software tech park in this stretch. If one were to spring up in the future the problem will easily become worse manifold.

Last edited by SR-71 : 28th December 2021 at 12:03.
SR-71 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2021, 13:30   #19367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
All the interstate KSRTC buses and the BMTC buses simply stop right after the Taj signal with utter disregard for for the traffic pileup behind them. The posse of policeman at the junction just don't seem to care about it. I fail to understand what senses needs to be knocked into the brains of our idiot policy makers to fix these problems. All it takes is a simple move to shift the bus stop ahead by a few 100 meters ahead and enforce it. The traffic logjam in these signals have been the norm for years now and keeps getting worse by the day, yet there is no positive move to decongest this section. Thank god there is no software tech park in this stretch. If one were to spring up in the future the problem will easily become worse manifold.
This deficiency is seen all over Bangalore. Bangalore Traffic Police staff from the lowermost cadre all the way to the top, is the most ill-trained and moronic force in India and filled with apathy.
vharihar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th December 2021, 16:24   #19368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

All the interstate KSRTC buses and the BMTC buses simply stop right after the Taj signal with utter disregard for for the traffic pileup behind them. All it takes is a simple move to shift the bus stop ahead by a few 100 meters ahead and enforce it.
Gorguntepalaya junction is now being christened "Silk board of the North"

Officially, the bus stop was shifted long ago. You can see a board mentioning the same clearly in front of Taj, under the metro station. But all kind of buses, be it BMTC, KSRTC or private buses stop right in front of Taj after the signal and this leads to pile up behind! And as you said, the cops are least bothered.

Another major issue is , the metro pillars divide the citybound carriageway into two narrow stretches just around the signal at Rajkumar samadhi road-Tumkur road junction. This causes vehicles of all kinds proceeding to Yeshwantpur side who does not have to wait for signal to jostle in to the narrow single lanes on either side of the pillar. Vehicles waiting to turn right towards Rajkumar samadhi road ends up blocking one lane out of the two and a lot of crisscrossing happens around the pillars.
Many days now we see the stretch leading upto the signal piled up unto over the bridge while the road beyond the signal remains clear.
sandsun7 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th December 2021, 20:46   #19369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All the interstate KSRTC buses and the BMTC buses simply stop right after the Taj signal with utter disregard for for the traffic pileup behind them.
It is an unwritten rule that bus stops should be next to the signal/ flyover/ intersections. And since buses have the privilege of jumping signals, they will wait blocking traffic till the signal turns red and then drive blocking the green lighted vehicles too.

Incidentally bull bars were invented to push buffaloes off the road when they were blocking the road. Perhaps a similar invention to push buses off the road?
wildsdi5530 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th December 2021, 22:14   #19370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
The only government department that works efficiently is the Road digging department, they are ready to dig even before any approval comes through
Looks like it went little far this time. Not sure if there was any prior coordination between BBMP and BMRCL before working near such a sensitive metro pillar

Bangalore Metro to run slow after SWD work exposes soil near pillar.

Quote:
BENGALURU: Storm Water Drain silting works undertaken by the BBMP close to the Halasuru Metro station have exposed an exposure of soil around a pier,no. 109A, present near the Venkateshwara temple at Halasuru. As a precautionary measure, Metro trains between Indira Nagar and Halasuru, for a few days, will run on a restricted speed of 5 km/hr.

Bangalore Metro Rail Corporation Limited, Managing Director, Anjum Parwez visited the spot on Tuesday morning to take stock of the impact on the pier. He said, “As a matter of caution we will be running trains on a speed of 5 km/hr along the stretch.
airbus is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2022, 10:54   #19371
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Is parking available close to the Banashankari temple (for a temple visit) ?

Or is it better to park at the BMTC bus station's multi level car park (assuming it's functional based on it being marked on gmaps) ?
Old 2nd January 2022, 11:25   #19372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post

Or is it better to park at the BMTC bus station's multi level car park (assuming it's functional based on it being marked on gmaps) ?
No parking available there. But you can park on the metro parking place. Location here.

Last edited by TorqueyTechie : 2nd January 2022 at 11:35.
TorqueyTechie is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2022, 11:58   #19373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post

Last time I visited (less than 3 months) there was a paid parking behind the temple, with access about 50m before the temple.
Shivam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2022, 12:10   #19374
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
No parking available there. But you can park on the metro parking place. Location here.
Thanks!
I parked the car at the metro parking on the left (when going towards Kanakapura) which is opposite side of the temple. Walked up to the temple across the road.

On the return, when I made a U turn just after the Prestige property, I saw that Metro has another parking lot almost beside/behind the temple.

Visited this side of the city after many years and the place has undergone lot many changes, so my unfamiliarity was very obvious
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 12:03   #19375
Distinguished - BHPian

Since we've left the car behind in another location for a month and the bike hasn't been used for the past 3 months while I've been away, have been using Ola Auto+Metro in Bangalore for the past couple of weeks. Might be too small a sample size and too early, and also might be the effect of the holiday season/extended work from home, but the service seems to have improved from what I remember Ola Auto used to be from a couple of years ago. Been getting an auto in less than 5 mins each time. Even as late as 10:30 pm. For someone used to the 3rd class behavior of Bangalore auto drivers for the past 30 years (yes, there are a few good exceptions but too few and too far between!), since school days, I'm wondering if I'm in a parallel universe!

I always think what a missed opportunity this is. If autos could have been/always would be this reliable and hassle-free- all we would have needed would have been the Metro on the main roads and autos perfect for Bangalore's narrow side-roads!

Last edited by am1m : 3rd January 2022 at 12:07.
am1m is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 12:32   #19376
BHPian

Recently, I had to travel between Indiranagar and Halasuru.
The road conditions between Indiranagar BDA complex and RMZ Millenia (Old Madras road & Bhaskaran road) on both directions are atrocious and very bumpy. And these are arterial roads catering to lot of traffic!
It is not pothole ridden but a lot of patches on top of previous patches etc. Horrible experience it was!
srvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 12:46   #19377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
For someone used to the 3rd class behavior of Bangalore auto drivers for the past 30 years (yes, there are a few good exceptions but too few and too far between!), since school days, I'm wondering if I'm in a parallel universe!

I always think what a missed opportunity this is. If autos could have been/always would be this reliable and hassle-free- all we would have needed would have been the Metro on the main roads and autos perfect for Bangalore's narrow side-roads!
I believe some auto drivers learnt lessons during the lock-down and period thereafter. I still see number of autos converted to sell food items.

However, few weeks back me and my friend were in Kumara Park and we could not get an auto for more than half an hour. So many of them were free but declined to take a ride. Let's hope auto services improve and provide that critical last mile connectivity.
airbus is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 13:28   #19378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
The road conditions between Indiranagar BDA complex and RMZ Millenia (Old Madras road & Bhaskaran road) on both directions are atrocious and very bumpy... It is not pothole ridden but a lot of patches on top of previous patches etc.
It is quite bumpy all the way from RMZ Millenia to RMZ Infinity. On the opposite side, it is somewhat better from RMZ Infinity till Indiranagar 80 ft road.

This reminds me of when we went for a team lunch in the pre-covid days. Four of us were going by a cab, and the ride was very bumpy. One person asked the lunch sponsor, "Since you are taking us to a Rajasthani restaurant, have you arranged for the ride to mimic a camel ride?"
adisan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 13:46   #19379
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
So many of them were free but declined to take a ride.
Oh I still don't bother asking standing auto drivers- I only use the Ola app. Asking a standing auto driver is as hit-or-miss as usual. I think an auto driver who has taken the trouble to get on the app is probably more willing to work hard (not always a given though, some of them accept on the app and then cancel too!). The guys who don't want to get on the app are more likely to be the old-style Bangalore auto guy- sit around taking up parking space, refuse rides throughout the day and then just charge exorbitantly for a couple of fares late in the night to make up.

Last edited by am1m : 3rd January 2022 at 13:48.
am1m is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th January 2022, 09:02   #19380
Distinguished - BHPian

NBTL Flyover to remain closed till Jan 14

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-20220105_085546.jpg

Source: Deccan Herald
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed