Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2022, 12:08   #19561
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Coupled with this:
https://www.deccanherald.com/city/to...e-1103622.html

Vehicles proven to have duplicate or false plates should be siezed forthwith and the DL of the offending party suspended. Nothing works in India except solid punitive action.
That wont deter them also, They should be arrested as this is criminal offence, judges should put them for at least 10 years in jail.
shamanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2022, 10:40   #19562
BHPian

Quote:
Coupled with this:
https://www.deccanherald.com/city/to...e-1103622.html

Vehicles proven to have duplicate or false plates should be siezed forthwith and the DL of the offending party suspended. Nothing works in India except solid punitive action.
Absolutely, the ones using fake plates would be up to no good (who knows what criminal activities). In addition they would be landing the legitimate owner of those plates in trouble as well.
Old 6th May 2022, 12:49   #19563
BHPian

Posting about a recent trend in Bangalore, it could be same in other cities as well.

Quite often, noticing lot of Rental bikes stranded on roadside and on flyovers too. This is causing unexpected swerves which can be quite dangerous on tight elevated flyovers like BETL Electronic City flyover etc.

As seen in the video, the truck had moved to right lane to avoid the stranded bike and then moved back to it its lane.

This can be dangerous, if someone tries to overtake from right.

Any thoughts ?
chaitanyakrish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2022, 15:29   #19564
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaitanyakrish View Post
Posting about a recent trend in Bangalore, it could be same in other cities as well.

Quite often, noticing lot of Rental bikes stranded on roadside and on flyovers too.
Not recent, been going on ever since these app rental scooters began services, even pre-covid. Always used to see rental scooters abandoned at all places. Always wondered how it makes financial sense for the company to have their employees go around everyday tracking down and retrieving these scooters. And what action does the company take against the person renting and failing to return the scooter at a designated pick-up point? No wonder most of these app-based scooter rental businesses fail I guess.
Old 6th May 2022, 15:50   #19565
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ah, now I know what was happening with a similar camera setup sometime between Feb and April this year on Suranjan Das road. Near the HAL engine division gate there was this cop with a camera who would station himself every day and pack up in the evening. About 200 metres in front of him were cops stopping vehicles. I used to wonder what the connection between them was (I thought he was helping flag down over speeding vehicles).

Last edited by NPV : 6th May 2022 at 16:15.
Old 6th May 2022, 17:28   #19566
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaitanyakrish View Post

This can be dangerous, if someone tries to overtake from right...
This is a recurring nightmare on city flyover at night (Mysore Road-Town Hall stretch). It's unlit/dimly-lit in most places, has a bunch of sweeping near-blind curves and people barging over to avoid abandoned scooters.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2022, 17:41   #19567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Ah, now I know what was happening with a similar camera setup sometime between Feb and April this year on Suranjan Das road. Near the HAL engine division gate there was this cop with a camera who would station himself every day and pack up in the evening. About 200 metres in front of him were cops stopping vehicles. I used to wonder what the connection between them was (I thought he was helping flag down over speeding vehicles).
So I was talking to this Taxi driver about why they jump signals. His response was that in some signals where they commonly jump, there is a 50-50 chance of getting caught for signal jumping. But if you stop, and especially are in the first few rows, the policeman at the signal will come and harass you till you pay him his dues.

This is the reason why 2-wheelers jump signals too.

However apparently BMTC buses don't jump for this reason. They jump the red light at punch their dial. They have limited time to complete their run and if they are late reporting back to the depot, they are fined. or even terminated. Thus they jump signals to save the 90 secs which would make them lose their jobs.

Whole new perspective isn't it?
wildsdi5530 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2022, 17:58   #19568
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
So I was talking to this Taxi driver about why they jump signals. His response was that in some signals where they commonly jump, there is a 50-50 chance of getting caught for signal jumping. But if you stop, and especially are in the first few rows, the policeman at the signal will come and harass you till you pay him his dues.

Why are they having pending dues in the first place? I don't see all 2 wheelers harassed or all cabs harassed? It means that they have done some mistakes for which they have been fined and haven't fined the dues or atleast that is what I infer from his response.

Quote:
However apparently BMTC buses don't jump for this reason. They jump the red light at punch their dial. They have limited time to complete their run and if they are late reporting back to the depot, they are fined. or even terminated. Thus they jump signals to save the 90 secs which would make them lose their jobs.

This I have heard and if it indeed is true its a draconian rule from BMTC bosses. No one in their sane mind can predict what time will a particular route take due to traffic. I have been many a times affected by them jumping signals (Banashankari, Jayanagar, Madivala, RV Road and many a other examples) and impeding or even causing small accidents for others.
Old 6th May 2022, 19:48   #19569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Why are they having pending dues in the first place? I don't see all 2 wheelers harassed or all cabs harassed? It means that they have done some mistakes for which they have been fined and haven't fined the dues or atleast that is what I infer from his response.
When has a cop stopped someone and let them off without collecting a fine? Emission, plastic number plate, IND plate, mirror, carrying cargo, any excuse will do. Private vehicles are not harassed so much, but commercial vehicles whose owners don't pay bulk monthly hafta will inevitably be penalised. Trucks on ring road don't even bother stopping, they just slow down, give the money and continue on their way.
Old 6th May 2022, 19:55   #19570
BHPian

Quote:

Dunno about the taxi driver, I didn't follow the logic. But the BMTC driver is saying utter trash. There is no such fine. Else you wouldn't see BMTC buses crawling at snail speed, halting at busstops till eternity till their great grandma boards. Plenty examples of both of these on ORR, etc.

If BMTC staff were so worried about being fined for reaching late, they'd step on the gas a bit.
vharihar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th May 2022, 18:28   #19571
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Couple days ago, I saw a 2+ page notification in the newspaper by BDA for land acquisition for the Peripheral Ring Road (PRR) project's clover leaf junctions on Tumkur road and Old Madras road. Hope we see more traction on this soon.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2022, 19:25   #19572
Distinguished - BHPian

OMR KR Puram stretch is perennially jammed. Why can’t BANGALORE just ban trucks and heavy vehicles from operating between 6am to 10pm? The roads are already being strangled…
Old 7th May 2022, 23:22   #19573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
OMR KR Puram stretch is perennially jammed. Why can’t BANGALORE just ban trucks and heavy vehicles from operating between 6am to 10pm? The roads are already being strangled…
As per my understanding, trucks are not the real reason for problem but the following are:
1. Poor design of the cable suspension bridge which takes almost 1.5km to bypass the railway line. This long bridge then terminates near tin factory where the traffic from whitefield towards hebbal and traffic from ORR to Indra Nagar side have to criss cross within 150m. If the bridge is redesigned so that there is at least 1km for the traffic to change lanes then this whole mess will be sorted to a great extent!
2. BMTC and KSRTC buses stopping at the entrance of the bridge and blocking half the lanes and sometimes both the lanes

Easiest solution is to shorten the bridge by increasing the gradient. Another solution could be to build a bypass road to merge the ORR with the NH without having to cross this junction. A few 100 crores and a year worth of time can fix this forever, if the responsible folks wish so.
nagr22 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 15:02   #19574
BHPian

Recently moved to Bangalore a month ago and had to endure dreaded OMR KR puram stretch couple of times , half the vehicles are one's wanting to take " u turn " why cant they open up 1 or 2 gaps in between with barricades for free flow of traffic . I had always rued about hyd traffic on hindsight , hyd has got better roads than Bangalore .
rm_arjuna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 16:05   #19575
Senior - BHPian

Digital fix for Bengaluru potholes (Bangalore Mirror report)

Quote:
BBMP has decided to use a mobile application to ensure city roads become pothole-free.

For now the application is restricted to internal use but by next week the public will be able to access the app to check if a pothole has been filled or not and give feedback to the Palike.

Most Viewed