Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2022, 14:53   #19786
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Done, The road above Panathur underpass (ORR) is closed. God bless all those coming from Panathur main road and joining ORR towards Marathahalli. You only have that service road now.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-46e143e11ff94ed3a0d52b28f800176b.jpeg

One doubt: How does the metro go over these underpasses. Where would the pillars be built?

Last edited by balenoed_ : 27th July 2022 at 15:05.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 15:29   #19787
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Done, The road above Panathur underpass (ORR) is closed. God bless all those coming from Panathur main road and joining ORR towards Marathahalli. You only have that service road now.

Attachment 2339057

One doubt: How does the metro go over these underpasses. Where would the pillars be built?
This actually might improve the flow of traffic. Currently there is a metro diversion just after this underpass ( right under the skywalk) due to which vehicles taking this road have to quickly merge to the left along with all the vehicles coming from the underpass.
anandhsub is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 15:33   #19788
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post

As far as I can understand from the alignment document I have, the piers will be in the middle of the two underpasses since they are anyway spaced away from each other. Not sure what happens to this service road that originates from the middle of the road.
Old 27th July 2022, 16:47   #19789
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Hey Chetan, is this info correct or only because it was 2330?...
It isn't time-specific, they're using concrete barriers for lane separators.

A clip from my dashcam, Saturday the 23rd, ~4:30 PM. I'm on the main carriageway, just past Esteem Mall.

You can distinctly notice the lane separators at 0:18 in the clip, that's where you can get off the main carriageway if you want to. At 0:21, you'll notice the lane separator for the service lane ending to your left (one lane over), so from there, anyone who's off the main carriageway can proceed to join ORR in either direction, or take the left-sided loop to get onto city-bound flyover lanes.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 27th July 2022 at 16:59.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 20:12   #19790
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive2eternity View Post
It is about mindset. The poor driver has been lugging his car in 1st and 2nd gear for kilometers and then gets an open stretch and exactly there you put a speed gun. Not evil?
For me no this is not (when seen in isolation). Just because there is an open stretch doesn't mean one can ignore the laws. And I am no saint as well I do cross the speed limits but I don't cry hoarse when caught!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive2eternity View Post
To add, see what Ragul posted, they have altered the speed limits exactly for that open stretch (it seems). Not evil?
This seems evil and I agree. A genuine question from my end, I always thought that the speed limit prescribed is from the board specifying the limit and not before it. Isn't is so? If the interceptor is catching people for over speeding before the limit, can't someone mention about the previous board and ask them to highlight the new speed limit earlier to the interceptor point?
Old 29th July 2022, 16:40   #19791
BHPian

They seem to be putting up speed cameras / displays on the NICE road, fixed on to the overpasses. Couldn't get a clear view from where I was sitting in the bus.
whitewing is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 18:46   #19792
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
They seem to be putting up speed cameras / displays on the NICE road, fixed on to the overpasses. Couldn't get a clear view from where I was sitting in the bus.
I noticed this as well both in the link road and the ring road. But I noticed this only after flying across these cameras above the limit. Looks like it isn't working yet since I haven't received any challan even after a month
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2022, 06:54   #19793
BHPian

I noticed it earlier this week on NICE road too. However the cameras were not configured as they were displaying random speeds. It is still work in progress. I also noticed while going from Hosur towards Mysore road, everytime there is an exit, the speed limit reduces from 80kph to 60kph and then right there, the police interceptors are positioned with speed gun to catch unsuspecting souls.
So if you drive at 70 in a 60 zone you get caught, but if you drive at 100 in a 80 zone, there is no checking. How nice!
drive2eternity is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2022, 11:07   #19794
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
Did you know there is a 30 kmph speed limit near the emergency layby on the BETL flyover?
On the other extreme, the Peenya flyover has an 80kmph limit which I think is very ambitious nigh, dangerous!
It has just two lanes and invariably there are slow moving 2 wheelers and wheezy LCVs. To be able to maintain 80 one would need to switch lanes like Jason Statham.

Dense traffic at high speeds and without sufficient gap maintained is just asking for trouble the moment one vehicle suddenly slows down (or worse, stops). Off late, I have been well below the limit on the left lane on this flyover

Last edited by GeeTee TSI : 31st July 2022 at 11:13.
GeeTee TSI is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2022, 11:34   #19795
Distinguished - BHPian

So I finally got exposed to the dreaded jams of Bangalore traffic Seems like I had been on the periphery of traffic jams over the last 4-5 months; with my travel from MG road to Bellandur taking 25mins to 1hr at max; with a mix of going via the Bellandur lake + HAL airport route or the ORR + Koramangla route.

Today I seemed to be doing fine till I reached the choked up jam on Bellandur Lake road - that last stretch of ~3kms to my office (RMZ Ecospace) took nearly 45 mins; primarily due to some water logging on the backside lane behind Novotel (that most cars take to reach the offices that line up on ORR) that caused jams all up the road. Total travel time went up to 1.5 hours (or a bit more).

I must say that I was impressed by the folks stuck on traffic. Yes, there was jostling for space. Yes, bikes, autos & even a few idiots in cars made parallel lanes creating more jams for just getting one/two car lengths ahead. But overall, the amount of honking and unruly driving was much less than what I have seen in Bombay to be honest.

Let's see how the rest of the year pans out for me.
Old 2nd August 2022, 12:12   #19796
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
So I finally got exposed to the dreaded jams of Bangalore traffic
the choked up jam on Bellandur Lake road - that last stretch of ~3kms to my office (RMZ Ecospace) took nearly 45 mins;
Not looking to alarm you, just forewarning. It's not going to get better. I worked and commuted to the adjoining RMZ "Eco" World, along some of the same route for about 2 years. Get used to getting stuck in traffic jams. If you are commuting by car and like audiobooks, that will help. With some companies in that area possibly looking at longer term remote working arrangements, perhaps the traffic might be better. But with the Metro construction going on for the next 6 years at least (don't believe the 2025 deadline, no way it'll finish by then!) I don't see things looking up. If your company offers remote work or some sort of flexible arrangement, utilize that. Maybe some days in office, some working from home.

(I desperately moved companies, even took a pay cut, just to escape the possibility of having to return to that awful commute once the covid remote work arrangements ended! And my life has become much, much better for that!)

Last edited by am1m : 2nd August 2022 at 12:24.
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2022, 13:18   #19797
Distinguished - BHPian

https://www.livemint.com/news/india/...484126890.html

Name:  Sign_1659493207198_1659493224426_1659493224426.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  51.3 KB

No offense meant to the blind, but I was sure it was directed to all motorists to curl up anything dangling and pray

Like this:
https://twitter.com/uppinakai/status...us0bkwLbYswDtg

Last edited by itwasntme : 3rd August 2022 at 13:21.
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2022, 16:23   #19798
Senior - BHPian

Received on WhatsApp. Apt representation of Bengaluru traffic
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-bl.jpeg  

airbus is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2022, 17:56   #19799
BHPian

Went to our office today located in OMR in RMZ Infinity from Hennur side. I was expecting horrific traffic considering the rains and metro construction but except for the section near Ramamurthy Nagar underpass, I went through non-stop (of course idiot taxi, auto drivers zig zagging made travelling faster impossible) - 17 kms covered in 43 mins. Return was slightly different but still the choke point in Ramamurthy Nagar intersection was expected. Smiled all the way through.
gtonsing is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2022, 09:23   #19800
BHPian

Is the video in this tweet actually from Bengaluru?

https://twitter.com/ejprabhakar1/sta...HvuShm9Qg&s=19

I am already starting to dread the day our company calls us back to office.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks