Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2011, 20:55   #1981
Team-BHP Support

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
seriously
Loads of self obsessed people on the forum nowadays.
many here consider themselves to be perfect and try finding faults in others.
A frank question(s) to all the people whining about the conditions here
How many of you have driven off when the signal turned orange?
How many of you have jumped a signal in the late hours (2am +)?
how many of you have crossed the speed limit on an empty stretch just to hear your engine growl?
How many of of you have tried bribing a cop for your mistake or have bribed a cop?
I can keep on going the whole day.

Rather than whining and being superficial. try to wipe out your own self imperfections and then lift a finger or rather lift your camera against a fellow violator.

I agree being ignorant to the conditions here is not an option but criticizing my city , I cannot tolerate.
I have personally seen many foreign returns(usually from US) who whine saying that there is no lane discipline, no parking spaces etc etc etc.
My immediate reply to them usually was why come here in the first place?

My city(Bangalore) is loved by me (and many others)regardless of its imperfections/ perfections and love it for what it is and not what people are trying to force it to be.
Agreed one shouldn't propogate rules if one may have broken one. But, isn't it how we learn??

If someone, who is not a habitual rule-breaker but may have broken some (jumping a signal at 2am), does not come forward and point out someone who is breaking a rule, he wouldn't know he broke a rule.

Criticism, when you yourself are at fault, is agreeably wrong but that is how it works!

If someone points out/clicks a picture of someone breaking a rule, at least on T-BHP, he would be doing it not out of self-obsession but to spread awareness!

Rather than taking it personally, what harm does it do if you tell someone you did something wrong. There are many posts where people have admitted, it was only after they read about "mistakes/rules being broken on the road" that they changed and ensured they did not. eg. wearing seat-belts, using the OVRMs, not overtaking from the left.

Ignorance is bliss; no one would learn unless pointed out.

And frankly, it is just a co-incidence that there is a thread on rants about the Bangalore traffic and not some other city. How Bangalore is/people feel about it is inconsequential to how traffic should be and traffic rules be followed.
Old 10th January 2011, 21:01   #1982
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

We need to criticize whats bad, there's no argument about that. Generalizing something on the whole city is bad. We Indians have the chalta hai attitude, we also stand up excitedly when we find a opportunity to criticize a whole city/state.

We need to see what can be done about it too. Maybe we can send the photos of traffic violations to someone who can act on that as a complaint?
Old 10th January 2011, 21:51   #1983
BANNED

Look at that picture. It is one of the busiest roads in Bangalore. There are thousands passing by. Not one, not a single person stopped to ask that person what he is up to. I would have.

I will tell you another incident.

Old airport road, if you are coming from Marathahalli just before you reach Total Mall, there is a school there. Visveswaraya School. At peak times people ride over this footpath. Everyday I see this nonsense going on. There is a cop standing there. I stopped my bike and spoke to this guy. A very nice guy, the older constable. Not the younger guy. People frequenting that route will know.

I asked him why does he not stop the people. He replied I need to handle this Uturn and mind these people too. These people are learned like you, if you understand they should too.

I said OK and rode off. Next day took a bus got off there, some kids were going into the school. I stopped them and asked them whether they can help me. They were more then willing. So we about 5-6 of us started stopping riders riding on the footpath and asked them to get off.

You would not believe the type of people we met. I will tell you about one, he pulled one kid aside by one hand and threatened to go over him. I rushed to the spot and said I was responsible, this guy started in Kannada, he is some superman and called some more thugs. It was getting a scene but I kept calm and didn't react and only said to him that this is a school and he should not ride on the footpath. After hyperventilating for a few minutes he and his supporters calmed down. I got really terrified after that, not for myself but for the kid who got pulled.

I realized it was a mistake to try something like this.

For all those thinking this is their city, wake up and do something. Stand up each time you see something wrong. Don't just walk away. I know its difficult. My wife fears going out with me, because as per her nothings going to change. Not at least till one guy stands up and the rest meekly walk off.

I get the sentiment that people here think that I have a personal grudge with this city. Open you eyes, there is a problem and we need to sort it. Loving the city does jack to make it better, come out and try changing it. Even a small bit will go a long way.

PS: Silversteed, dude I just quoted you its wasn't a reply to your post. I have seen a person get badly injured by an Auto who came by the wrong side with his headlight on. Its another matter that the auto guy and his friends turned the tables on the poor pedestrian. That incident made me post about headlights and getting away with murder a few days back.

Last edited by Spitfire : 10th January 2011 at 21:58.
Old 10th January 2011, 21:58   #1984
Senior - BHPian

When I see people coming on the wrong side (on my side). I drive up in front and stop and stare at them. They do sometimes try to say theres enough space. You need to be oblivious to what they say and treat them like Idiots. They do get that.

I meet lot of morons on Wind Tunnel road who take U-turns on the road to come towards ISRO junction without thinking for a moment about traffic being held up towards the junction. I fight with them all the time, they do shout at me "Kya problem hai?". I do use the choicest of words. If you keep driving up this road towards Ring Road through NAL, you will find a lot of these educated morons.

We need to treat the guys who have no regards to law without respect. I think lots of people just keep adjusting.
Old 10th January 2011, 22:26   #1985
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Look at that picture. It is one of the busiest roads in Bangalore. There are thousands passing by. Not one, not a single person stopped to ask that person what he is up to. I would have.

I will tell you another incident...

...Open you eyes, there is a problem and we need to sort it. Loving the city does jack to make it better, come out and try changing it. Even a small bit will go a long way.
Well said Spitfire!

I do my bit too, to be honest. I stand up to idiots who break traffic rules, whenever I can. But being 21 does not help my cause. people try and throw their weight around when they see that I'm young.

You see, I'm a student. I study Law in one of the better colleges in the city. The college is located on RV Road, Jayanagar, and ever since the metro-work had begun, people would regularly go the wrong way so as to avoid going the 'right-way' and taking a U-turn at the end of the road. They would just cut across and go right in the line of oncoming traffic! It's very upsetting to see students do this! They are the future of our country, and I'm livid to see the so-called progress of our country in the hands of these imbeciles.

I was at Basawangudi a few weeks back. And I caught this there:

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-30122010059.jpg

It might look like he is taking a turn, but actually, he's parked on the road in that angle. I took this photo about 5 minutes later!

The guy in the Qualis had no regard for other road users at all. While taking a turn, he fancied some guavas and just stopped right in the middle of the road. Now you'd expect him to save his face by picking up the guavas, giving the money and leaving quickly, right?

Wrong!

He just parked himself there while getting the vendor to show his guavas to him. This man was absolutely oblivious to the honking and abuses that were constantly hurled at him, while he was checking out the guavas. After a good 10 minutes, he picked up his fruits and left.
Old 10th January 2011, 23:10   #1986
BHPian

Quote:
seriously
Rather than whining and being superficial. try to wipe out your own self imperfections and then lift a finger or rather lift your camera against a fellow violator.
I agree being ignorant to the conditions here is not an option but criticizing my city , I cannot tolerate.
I have personally seen many foreign returns(usually from US) who whine saying that there is no lane discipline, no parking spaces etc etc etc.
My immediate reply to them usually was why come here in the first place?

My city(Bangalore) is loved by me (and many others)regardless of its imperfections/ perfections and love it for what it is and not what people are trying to force it to be.
I completely agree with you/relate to the statement of US returns cribbing about the traffic here, But since they are senior to me in age(don't want to disclose the relations), i have no choice but to keep quiet and listen. What boils my blood even more is that they were born and brought up here for 22-24years and a few years in the US and India becomes this and that, not just traffic!
Coming to the point of pointing out our own mistakes.
I agree we do make quite a few mistakes when it comes to driving(we don't want to admit it, but its true) but give it a thought that majority of team-BHP(i dont talk about BHPian's families here, because i know of alot of people in my family who's driving I'm not a fan off) are decently educated(i'm not talking in terms of laurels they've earned in academics, but just the fact that they can post in decent english) And with the access to the knowledge about road rage that is available on this wonderful forum, I'd strongly like to say, open to detable atleast "relatively" we're a little better off than the regular public? lots of room for improvement, i completely agree,but we're trying to make a difference in whatever little way we can right? whether its honking less or trying to maintain lane discipline, following traffic rules
And after all this thread is about ranting out our frusteration right?
no offense meant to anyone, just my personal point of view which is open to debate(the beauty of a forum), people with common interest with a difference of opinion
Old 10th January 2011, 23:28   #1987
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I was at Basawangudi a few weeks back. And I caught this there:

Attachment 481077

It might look like he is taking a turn, but actually, he's parked on the road in that angle. I took this photo about 5 minutes later!
oh oh! i took a photo and forgot to post them!

found this in front of Food World off Banaswadi main road few days back. had stopped at Burgerman when i saw this Santro parked almost in the middle of the road blocking one whole side of the road with park lights on and the car locked!!

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-imag1396.jpg

i waited for almost half an hour to see who the owner is. it was a man in his 50's maybe, comes from across the road, unlocks the car and drives away!!

Old 11th January 2011, 00:04   #1988
BHPian

We should puncture all the 4 tyres of such people who "own" the road!
I've heard of an instance long back where the entire bonnet of a brand new car was scratched when he parked in front of a house owners gate where there was a very big no parking sign, The car wasn't seen henceforth!
Old 11th January 2011, 02:20   #1989
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghav.carfreak View Post
I completely agree with you/relate to the statement of US returns cribbing about the traffic here, But since they are senior to me in age(don't want to disclose the relations), i have no choice but to keep quiet and listen. What boils my blood even more is that they were born and brought up here for 22-24years and a few years in the US and India becomes this and that, not just traffic!
Guilty as charged Raghav. On a slightly lighter note: My cousins have taken the right to speak about traffic (while stuck in traffic) away from me. Not having the right to crib, while my cousins curse everyone and their parents is very frustrating. I have to bite my tongue a million times, especially on expressways. The roads look like anywhere else in the world(something that was not present whilst living in India), but to see a vehicle drive in the opposite direction, or backup - while we are zipping at 120kmph - is quite something. And, to see this and not be able to say anything is torture. My cousins, look at my face and the words stuck in my throat and have a mighty good time.
Old 11th January 2011, 11:00   #1990
MCR
BHPian

Does it make sense to try and teach traffic lessons to some moron on the road? How does it feel when that moron retaliates? Does it make sense to fight with that moron and spoil the mood?
What will police do? Take Rs.100/- from that moron and let him go. Or atleast this is what I have observed in most of the cases.

So it makes better sense to avoid such a situation. Drive away. This is what I do. This does not mean I am coward, but only means I am using my GK.
Old 11th January 2011, 11:13   #1991
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Vinay, are you trying to justify whats going on the roads? Or that we all shold just stick our heads in the sand, and pretend 'All izz well'.

Rather than asking others to leave the city, you have an easier option of not visiting this thread.
Old 11th January 2011, 11:24   #1992
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
So it makes better sense to avoid such a situation. Drive away. This is what I do. This does not mean I am coward, but only means I am using my GK.
You are actually trying to justify the cowardice (not my words) by psychologically conditioning yourself that you are smarter. Its a feel good thing to get away from the issues. Somehow turning a blind eye does not work for me. I face internal demons when I do that.

If this was not Bangalore, and I was in some really sensitive areas, I could well have been shot by now. But no I couldn't have used GK.

I also believe that the same GK brings about the reasoning that this is not my job, this is not my headache, this is not what I have been send to this earth to do, etc, etc.

If you don't agree with trying to make a difference then its ok. But dont attach I am smart so I don't do it tag and justify it.

Some of the issues we see today is due to the fact that people use the above GK.

Last edited by Spitfire : 11th January 2011 at 11:28.
Old 11th January 2011, 11:36   #1993
BHPian

Quote:
I said OK and rode off. Next day took a bus got off there, some kids were going into the school. I stopped them and asked them whether they can help me. They were more then willing. So we about 5-6 of us started stopping riders riding on the footpath and asked them to get off.

I get the sentiment that people here think that I have a personal grudge with this city. Open you eyes, there is a problem and we need to sort it. Loving the city does jack to make it better, come out and try changing it. Even a small bit will go a long way.
Wish more people were like you. I wish i could pick up the courage to do something like this too.
Old 11th January 2011, 11:43   #1994
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
You are actually trying to justify the cowardice (not my words) by psychologically conditioning yourself that you are smarter. Its a feel good thing to get away from the issues. Somehow turning a blind eye does not work for me. I face internal demons when I do that.

If this was not Bangalore, and I was in some really sensitive areas, I could well have been shot by now. But no I couldn't have used GK.

I also believe that the same GK brings about the reasoning that this is not my job, this is not my headache, this is not what I have been send to this earth to do, etc, etc.

If you don't agree with trying to make a difference then its ok. But dont attach I am smart so I don't do it tag and justify it.

Some of the issues we see today is due to the fact that people use the above GK.
Agreed sir. I know its the people like you and not like me who can change the things. But the main point here is why are the people selected for that job not doing their's properly? Is it because we have a "Chalta-hai" attitude? Or is it that we have surrendered ourselves to lawlessness?
But from the personal front, Is my safety not of utmost concern for me?

I remember a cartoon published in TOI few years back. Some body had filed a mercy petition stating "he is a father, a son, a husband to somebody" and hence be granted mercy. In the back ground of the cartoon, there were graves whispering "so were they" (that is, a son, a father, a husband etc.).

Sorry if I am going way too off-topic.
Old 11th January 2011, 12:02   #1995
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
Agreed sir. I know its the people like you and not like me who can change the things.
I am answering this as a genuine reply. I don't need to change things if people just do what is right. You and me might be doing all the things right. But there are others who try and take advantage of this. This advantage grabbing practice turns into breaking rules. Now the one's following the rules either keep following the rules or only follow the rules that keep them out of trouble. Problem is the second part.

If you are concerned about going by the rules. Hauling up someone who does not, is in spirit a part of it - going down the wrong side, riding on footpaths, letting pedestrians cross, etc. Raise your voice. By you taking the easy way out gives support to these acts.

Quote:
But the main point here is why are the people selected for that job not doing their's properly?
Is this something in our hands?

Quote:
Is it because we have a "Chalta-hai" attitude? Or is it that we have surrendered ourselves to lawlessness?
The Chalta Hai attitude is the very demeaning to my self respect. I would never utter that.

Quote:
But from the personal front, Is my safety not of utmost concern for me?
If you think that way, your security is totally in your hands alone. You expect no help and are capable to alone handle it. If that is so there is no argument.

The day you think you aren't then it raises a lot of questions.

In my growing years,I was told that when you help someone the biggest motivator is that you may need the same help from someone else some other day.

Last edited by Spitfire : 11th January 2011 at 12:04.

Most Viewed