Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2022, 09:27   #19996
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

I had a very close shave on the 30th evening under the Magadi Road NICE road underpass. A bike in the middle lane suddenly decided to join the 40 others who had stopped on the left lane blocking an entire NICE road lane. I had to brake very hard in the middle lane following the bike. Never imagined he’ll brake suddenly. Thankfully I was well inside 60kmph and could move on.

If we justify people taking shelter with their 2w under the underpass, we can also start justifying people driving on pavements following some bike riders who do so. We can justify people getting down their bikes and pushing it in a one way road, justify the wrong side riding/driving and perhaps everything else that hinders safety on the roads.

Where is the end to justify things using the ‘what about’ mode?

Last edited by jkrishnakj : 3rd September 2022 at 09:29. Reason: Spell
jkrishnakj is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2022, 10:09   #19997
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimlock View Post
Police to start fining people taking shelter under flyovers during rains-

https://www.thehindu.com/news/nation...37071.ece/amp/

Maybe the people will find it easier to move along if they could actually see the roads when commuting?
I think this is a welcome move.
A lot of times, I have found due to these people blocking 3/4th of the underpass, buses are not able to pass through causing further jam on the free lane. And many times, the flow of the water when a heavy vehicle passes through is enough to drench those waiting there, defeating the whole purpose of seeking refuge in the first place.
hrman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2022, 10:15   #19998
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
A bit of empathy please.
What on earth is that? Haven't seen it for years on our streets, forgotten what that looks like.

I used to walk and cycle, used to curse all the cars and bikes for being rash. Could afford a bike, started cursing the pedestrians and cyclists for being too slow. "Graduated" to a car, now bikes are the menace. Moved "up in life" with my SUV, now add smaller cars to the list of people who have no right to use the roads.

And that's why god made BMTC (and BMTC drivers) to put us all in our place!

Last edited by am1m : 3rd September 2022 at 10:19.
am1m is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2022, 11:21   #19999
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post

OT: I wonder what would happen to the huge Wipro & HCL EC campuses? I saw a firm take up 1 of the wipro buildings on lease back in 2017/18. Not sure how is it now.

We took up space (3 floors) in the 2nd SEZ building, post COVID, (got bigger cubicles ) and also took one of the smaller buildings in the STPI section.

Am told that Wipro plans to move all the billable staff to EC3 ie the relatively newer part of the campus and lease out the older buildings in EC1/2.

The campus is big & pretty and it would be a waste if it is left underutilized. (Not that I personally mind )
Old 3rd September 2022, 11:33   #20000
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Unfortunately, that's how the greedy and corrupt locals treat you.
The reasons are unfortunately a lot more fundamental than that. No other state treats outsiders the way they are treated here. For various reasons that cannot be discussed here, a large section of the locals have a general resentment against outsiders. Corruption and greed happen everywhere and rank much lower in the scale of fundamentalism.

Fortunately being local = ability to speak the language. Its a sort of green card that can see you through a lot of hiccups including getting away lightly with the cops.

This subject warrants a thread of its own but I dont think the rules would permit such a discussion.

Last edited by EV NXT : 3rd September 2022 at 11:48.
EV NXT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2022, 12:37   #20001
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post

I am sure the first reaction of the officials would be to close down all roads and stop any movement on the roads.
You are seriously under estimating the ingenuity of babus. They won't do any such things like you mentioned but will go to any extent to prove that either it is not a road (true to an extent given what's remaining on the surface anyways ) or fool anyone that is not rain water.

Anyway back to the topic - I remember the same thing happened around 2016 timeframe with so much flooding in the Ecospace and Ecoworld area. I moved out of Bangalore in 2018 as I can no longer take the stress on the life for the sake of money and career. It is sad to see the same repeats but not surprised. I don't believe one can do much on the infrastructure except ranting in social media.

I sincerely hope the upcoming 4 days work week customisation should be fully utilised by IT companies there in addition to at least a company wide work from home day in a rotation basis in all those monster tech parks in ORR. It should reduce the traffic load in ORR to some extent and may make it bearable. Its a win win situation for every one. There will be good operational cost savings for companies and no rental hit for tech park operators. This employees can at least take up with their companies and lobby for it.
thanixravindran is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2022, 17:02   #20002
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
A bike in the middle lane suddenly decided to join the 40 others who had stopped on the left lane blocking an entire NICE road lane
Wow, smart alecs now holding even an access controlled expressway to ransom?

Forgive me but I'll join the non-empathy group here. Perhaps when the bikers themselves show empathy to others, I'll rethink my position.
mayukh42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2022, 23:51   #20003
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedar_GT View Post
We took up space (3 floors) in the 2nd SEZ building, post COVID, (got bigger cubicles ) and also took one of the smaller buildings in the STPI section.

Am told that Wipro plans to move all the billable staff to EC3 ie the relatively newer part of the campus and lease out the older buildings in EC1/2.

The campus is big & pretty and it would be a waste if it is left underutilized. (Not that I personally mind )
May I know which firm?

And yes the campus is pretty nice. Spent 4 years there(2012-14,17-18). I am hoping some good firms take up the space and in-turn that opens some job options for folks close by. It’s a pain travelling to ORR/Whitefield if you are from south Bangalore
Old 4th September 2022, 18:25   #20004
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_addict View Post
What is going on in Malleshwaram? All major roads have been stripped open & dug up.

Attachment 2353682
I was stuck there for a good 30 minutes That's why I hate travelling inside the city.
Old 4th September 2022, 22:42   #20005
BHPian

It is raining heavily around Ecoworld on ORR. Check Google Maps before you head out this way
UPS_Guru is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2022, 23:27   #20006
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPS_Guru View Post
It is raining heavily around Ecoworld on ORR. Check Google Maps before you head out this way
Looks like the ORR flooding could very well be back tomorrow if this rain persists
Old 5th September 2022, 00:14   #20007
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPS_Guru View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Looks like the ORR flooding could very well be back tomorrow if this rain persists
No need to wait till tomorrow. The Kadubesanahalli underpass towards Ecospace is completely blocked, don't know why but could see vehicles facing the opposite direction at the start of the underpass. I got stuck at Maratahalli for a good 20 min before I managed to jump into the service lane and escape the underpass. Most people were not aware of the service lane option or couldn't exit in time and were stuck with no means to escape.

Ecospace is flooded and even the service lane in front of the Microsoft office/Sarjapur signal has over a foot of water. I was in the Thar and managed without much issue.

AVOID Maratahalli to the Sarjapur Signal section of the ORR on Monday morning.
Jaguar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 00:42   #20008
Distinguished - BHPian

Some serious rainfall ongoing in the Yelahanka area. Please take care on these morning commute.

Last edited by itwasntme : 5th September 2022 at 00:43.
itwasntme is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 08:00   #20009
Distinguished - BHPian

Whole of ORR/Sarjapur area is in bad state. Better not to venture out. Ecospace as expected is a river now.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img20220905wa0025.jpg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img20220905wa0023.jpg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img20220905wa0024.jpg

Sarjapur Road- Rainbow Drive- Near Wipro
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img20220905wa0002.jpg
Rajeevraj is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 08:35   #20010
Distinguished - BHPian

Bellandur lake is overflowing on the bridge near Goyal. Yemalur road is flooded near CGI to Sobha Palladiun. And Wind Tunnel road is also flooded with 3-4 feet water.

Last edited by ashis89 : 5th September 2022 at 08:39.
ashis89 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed