Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2022, 08:49   #20056
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
As I came to Spice Garden, I see the road spanking clean and dry with no sign of the morning mayhem. Road was empty and I put the ninja to its paces. I wonder where all the water went. This increased expectations and Google indicated I would reach faster on ORR. It showed things were clear except for a red block near Ecospace which was expected.
By 11 or so cars and bikes were not allowed to turn from Marathalli into ORR if you were proceeding beyond Kadubeesanahalli, only HTVs were allowed to do so, hence the empty roads. May be the traffic police thought everyone knew of the waterlogging by now and hence stopped directing the vehicles at Marathalli bridge.
anandhsub is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 08:57   #20057
BHPian

Here is another video circulating regarding the situation. This is in Yamalur near kadubeesanahalli. It pains to see a Lexus and a Bentley submerged and what is assume is pretty heavy water damage. On a lighter note, it’s time to buy a tractor.. the sure shot way of travelling in Bangalore come what may..

charanreddy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 09:24   #20058
BHPian

Its high time that these kind of vehicles be made street legal at least in the monsoon. By the way, took this photo when i had been to RFC22 Goa recently, may be the next edition could be held in Bangalore.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-20220723_150946.jpg  

bullitt1 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 09:31   #20059
Distinguished - BHPian

A satirical take of the situation in Bangalore. Takeshi Castle inspired. I like the 'idea' he suggests of urban tractor vehicles for Bangalore. Think there's potential in that idea, given the recurrence of this problem year after year. .

Last edited by ninjatalli : 6th September 2022 at 09:32.
ninjatalli is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 09:40   #20060
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Here is what I have done
1. Pay taxes properly
2. Vote diligently
3. Ensure my building is not violating any norms
4. Follow all the rules of the land
5. Help the needy in whatever way possible
6. Not produce kids and contribute to the country's population
Just doing point 1 and 4 itself will make our places way better. A lot of traffic issues (not the recent rain caused ones) in Bengaluru is just by violating 4.
RakishRam is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 10:01   #20061
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charanreddy View Post
Here is another video circulating regarding the situation.
I think this is Sunny Brooks layout, just next to Wipro corporate office in Sarjapur road. This is also the place opposite the 'famous' Rainbow Drive layout.
fordday is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 10:04   #20062
BHPian

I had to go to Prestige Tech Park in Kadubeesanahalli from the KR Puram side. Was dreading the trip. However, there was virtually no traffic in the ORR. I was able to reach PTP in about 20 minutes. I guess most people are WFH today.
vinodh_eee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 10:05   #20063
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Here is another video circulating regarding the situation. This is in Yamalur near kadubeesanahalli. It pains to see a Lexus and a Bentley submerged and what is assume is pretty heavy water damage. On a lighter note, it’s time to buy a tractor.. the sure shot way of travelling in Bangalore come what may..

https://Youtu.be/Va0DTeFBdPA
That's the Divyashree villas behind CGI. Even the Epsilon villas are not spared. The stretch from Yemalur junction till CGI continues to be closed due to flooding.

Wind tunnel road is motorable (few inches of water) and so is the road between Bellandur Central and Yemalur.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 10:24   #20064
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Here is what I have done
1. Pay taxes properly
2. Vote diligently
3. Ensure my building is not violating any norms
4. Follow all the rules of the land
5. Help the needy in whatever way possible
6. Not produce kids and contribute to the country's population

Now you want me to go do BBMP's and the politician's job as well. Very good
Despite best intentions, it is not very likely to help.
Most big cities in India are cash cows not only to the state but various political entities. Bangalore takes the cake amongst all such cities due to high inflow of non local population who have the city their home and hence comply/ ignore with local mis deeds to live and let live. These folks are very unlikely to question the govt or civic bodies as they get more than they give inform of employment. Amongst all big cities I have lived in (Delhi, Hyderabad, Bangalore) and a few I have very close relatives in and visited ( Chennai, Pune ) , Bangalore is by far the most corrupt. You can see evidence of this in recent court comments related to many staffers of the BDA / Sub registrar / revenue offices. I know from personal experience and observed from close quarters that A typical clerk / low level employee in one such office or an agent earns almost the same as a experienced software employee and does not pay tax. A big potion of such money gets to fed to higher ups including MLAs. The reason why city suffers
In the first place is due to large scale corruption. The powers are unlikely to act in the interest of the city if it affects their revenue stream. When a large scale issue like this one happens, politicians and other civil servants come out, give lip service statements and band aid solutions. It is naive to expect some thing will change as long as the underlying facts and dynamics don’t change..
charanreddy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 10:34   #20065
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodh_eee View Post
I had to go to Prestige Tech Park in Kadubeesanahalli from the KR Puram side.
OT: Which Block in PTP if you dont mind me asking?

I work in Valence block and we got notice the power is still shut down for the entire block due to water logging and we have to do WFH.
anandhsub is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 10:34   #20066
BHPian

I stay next to sunny brookes, sarjapura road. Rainbow and Sunny has been using tractors for in and out. There's water at wipro gate, most of the apartments here.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-sarj.jpeg  

noufal.ps is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 10:47   #20067
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Since it started raining heavily again and getting ola/uber was almost impossible I went to pick her up around 8PM. Visibility was barely few metres. Both front & rear wipers at full speed, rear & front defogger in full play. Average speed was probably sub-10kmph. But no water clogging till now anywhere on the main roads in EC(1&2). Is it because the drainage system was designed better being pre-2000 or sheer luck due to location I wonder?
I like how you're giving BDA the benefit of doubt , but no, it has nothing to do with better planning. It is purely geography. Take a look at the topography map of the EC-1 and EC-2 area below. White/Red is highest elevation and blue is lowest elevation, green being intermediary.

As you can see, EC-1 and EC-2 are built on areas that are on higher grounds and therefore the water flows away (more precisely, eastwards as that is the natural drainage path). This results in no waterlogging except for micro-waterlogging in pockets due to poor planning.
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-topography-ec.png

Now, let's take a look at Kadubeesanahalli. This ORR stretch along with all the settlements and SEZs are built literally on top of the natural drainage path for this region. The water flows from Bellandur Lake to Varthur Lake and subsequently eastwards.
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-topography-kdb.png

Link to the above topography maps: https://en-gb.topographic-map.com/maps/lpj1/Bengaluru/

The waterlogged Divyashree 77 villas that was shared earlier is built on this natural drainage. You can see the natural canals on the Google Map satellite view below:

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-divyashree-77.png

I find it unbelievable that such factors were not considered by the authorities when given for development. Ideally, these canals should have been further strengthened (in terms of volume capacity), embankments built and clear buffer zones laid out before approving such lands for development. But that's just me living in Utopia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
That's the Divyashree villas behind CGI. Even the Epsilon villas are not spared. The stretch from Yemalur junction till CGI continues to be closed due to flooding.
krishnakumar is offline   (67) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 10:55   #20068
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bangalore is by far the most corrupt
In reality, things are different. There is just one and the same everywhere. In Chennai, it poured 50 cm in one day in 2015, and we don't have the proper infrastructure in place to handle such a huge amount of rain.

Unfortunately we are always poor planners.

Now is the moment to effectively employ Internet penetration to relieve congestion in India's main cities.
RGK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 11:03   #20069
BHPian

So right you are, Krishnakumar. I have seen the lake/waterbody being filled on the other side of Bellandur Lake where Prestige is constructing a mega residential property. It used to be such a large waterbody. The drive was amazing 10-12 years back. We all know where this money is going to go - killing another lake.
Old 6th September 2022, 11:16   #20070
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
I It is purely geography.

built literally on top of the natural drainage path for this region. The water flows from Bellandur Lake to Varthur Lake and subsequently eastwards.

The waterlogged Divyashree 77 villas that was shared earlier is built on this natural drainage.

I find it unbelievable that such factors were not considered by the authorities when given for development. Ideally, these canals should have been further strengthened (in terms of volume capacity), embankments built and clear buffer zones laid out before approving such lands for development. But that's just me living in Utopia.
The excess rain water in Bangalore and environs flows through a series of gravity tanks and channels which are part of the drainage system - all the way along from the built up Domlur lake to the Challaghatta lake upon which the Karnataka Golf Association in built and there onwards to the Bellandur lake and all the surrounding little lakes and ponds which act as little catchment areas.

The small and tiny lake near Sobha Iris and Suncity and all in Iblur / ORR used to be a quaint fishing spot with coracles in the 1990’s. Also at that time and indeed right up to the esrly-mid 2000’s, the whole huge stretch between todays inner-ring road and the agara lake periphery road, was one large swamp and water body. The Agara lake itself was atleast 5 times its present size as I remember it. And much of present day HSR was a vast water body. Now it is apparently Asia’s largest layout.

On the other side, Eejipura and ST Bed area were low lying storage tanks. ST Bed means Sarjapura Tank Bed. Koramangala was getting developed but was a swamp earlier.

If you just drive around even now, you can see that this HSR Layout Sector 5 and 6 and 7 and Outer Ring Road and surrounds are all very low lying areas. It is but natural that water will flow towards these areas on account of gravity.

Its interesting geographically that this whole area is like a bit of a trough - and that basically means in the larger view and scheme of things it was a water drainage channel.

We have incredible intelligence and talent in India - geographers, scientists, geologists, engineers and all.
But sadly all the education is negated because of sheer greed on the part of our administration, bureaucracy, civic bodies and politicians.

And we, the people, are ultimately to blame.

Here is a scan image of a long ago news article showing what used to be lakes and what are now layouts.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-379a98e116f040b086f741675b5788a4.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (38) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks