Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2022, 17:24   #20251
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShreyG View Post
Had a pretty harrowing experience today. We know that skywalks in Bangalore are far and few. But I was astounded by c__sniped__
Anybody noticed similar trends across other areas?
Absolutely, the one on Old Madras road near Gopalan mall. You know traffic is pretty heavy and hardly any gaps there. Also they have made very high dividers but people still wait and cross on the road, risking their lives and that of motorists. AND this particular one has a lift too!!
gtonsing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2022, 17:31   #20252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShreyG View Post
Anybody noticed similar trends across other areas?
OA Road, near Big Pitcher.
Indira Nagar 100ft Road, at Doopanahalli signal.

Both were (at different points of time) in my daily commute route. Countless are the number of pedestrians who have jumped in front of me and have been saved by my extra-careful driving.

My own office staff have made fun of me for using these skywalks.
Old 23rd September 2022, 18:35   #20253
BHPian

For those who are aware of this locality/road, I have one question.
Since last couple of months, Google Maps has stopped showing this route (marked in RED). Understand that this runs through the DRDO township. But earlier it used to show and stopped showing it only recently.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-capture.jpg  

Old 23rd September 2022, 19:09   #20254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
Since last couple of months, Google Maps has stopped showing this route (marked in RED). Understand that this runs through the DRDO township. But earlier it used to show and stopped showing it only recently.
Both the routes are fine. The east side one goes through a gate which is open for 2 hours three times a day.
But to enter DRDO (for both routes) one has to use the main gate which is closed from 8 pm to 7 am
goandude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2022, 19:13   #20255
BHPian

Quote:
I'm a regular on this route and I don't work in DRDO Or Defence forces.
Road via Abdul Kalam statue (the bus route) is very much usable for all civilians between 7am to 8pm.
Old 23rd September 2022, 19:15   #20256
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Both the routes are fine. The east side one goes through a gate which is open for 2 hours three times a day.
But to enter DRDO (for both routes) one has to use the main gate which is closed from 8 pm to 7 am
I am sorry if my message was not clear. Even I use this route everyday to go to office. My question was, why Google Maps stopped showing this route since last couple of months. It keeps rerouting till we are near the exit gates.
Old 23rd September 2022, 19:38   #20257
BHPian

Quote:
I am sorry if my message was not clear. Even I use this route everyday to go to office. My question was, why Google Maps stopped showing this route since last couple of months. It keeps rerouting till we are near the exit gates.
My guess:
Once upon a time, autos and yellow board vehicles weren't allowed throughway via the DRDO township. Perhaps, Gmaps probably has taken this into account in its algorithm.
srvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2022, 22:16   #20258
BHPian

The instant-commerce business has added quite a bit of compulsive traffic violators. I'm not a regular user of food ordering applications or instant commerce applications - it takes me 5 minutes to buy my grocery or 10 mins max to get to a decent restaurant. But it's frustrating to see so many of the "delivery partners" of these startups willfully taking one way routes ( I saw someone on a Yulu bike riding wrong side at night towards me - in the fast lane ); it's also a common thing to see queued up "delivery partners" on the wrong side, sometimes 7 or 8 of them one behind the other in a bid to sneak in against traffic. My sympathies with these folks on how they go out on a limb to serve "mostly" lazy people or over-ambitious founders and CXOs. Someone has to own these violations up - most likely via directives from the top for those companies or next, from cops - it's not acceptable simply. I'm reminded of that old joke which said that Ambulance takes 45 mins to reach while pizza in 15.

This is on the same level as some of those "last mile" connectivity firms that let people rent scooters. Many of them are seen on the road on the right most lane parked dangerously or throw in to some bushes at the edge of the road or median breaks when you take U turns or anywhere where their customers found it convenient endangering the lives and property of other road users.

People watching youtube videos ( all types - high flying execs to autodrivers to pedestrians ) or twitter timelines or whatsapp messages when vehicle is moving. Most people are simply not watching the road as much as they should be and on top of it, rushing for everything. Just the other day, in the 3 feet space between me and the car in front of me, a car coming form my left and going perpendicular to me accelerated to take that small space. Imagine what would have happened if I had accelerated the same way. Nobody seems to have time for anything. You shirk / be oversmart, save time and finally spend that time browsing the internet - very useful.

Last edited by airguitar : 25th September 2022 at 22:20.
airguitar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 00:02   #20259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
The instant-commerce business has added quite a bit of compulsive traffic violators.
We notice these delivery guys because they are now ubiquitous on Bangalore roads. But not just them, everybody including school buses and (un)educated white collared employees blatantly violate traffic rules, especially one-way rules. If I were the BTP Commissioner, I could easily double the state finances by just catching one-way offenders.

See this school bus that was driving on the wrong side last Friday afternoon. The driver was such a moron that when he saw me taking the pic, adjusted his hair, posed, and egged me to take more pics I have uploaded the pic on the BTP site as well. If anyone has contact with the Ryan school authorities around the Bellandur/Sarjapur area, please forward the pic to them.

The two-wheeler in front of the bus squeezed through the gap on the right side of the bus, and you can see another idiot trying to overtake the bus from behind.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_20220923_170302.jpg

Last edited by Jaguar : 26th September 2022 at 00:04.
Jaguar is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 00:08   #20260
BHPian

Is it normal trend now that almost 70-80% drivers riders on the road always have their High Beam on, in even internal roads always? Even signaling them does not help.
Few can be attributed to SUV design with higher headlights but all other cars and two wheelers. To add more, we have those light scattering LED light installed without any guidance and with no real purpose to aid the driver/rider.

I think the trend can be attributed to how they learn driving. Knowing Traffic signals (not that you need obey them) is the first criteria and second is to know to drive the vehicle. High/Low beam concept, passing light, use of hazard light and turn indicators, etc. are all myths they need not worry about.
vidyanand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 06:00   #20261
Senior - BHPian

When you have deep potholes for roads what choice do motorists have? I even added fog lamps, focused on the road just ahead of me for all my vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by vidyanand View Post
Is it normal trend now that almost 70-80% drivers riders on the road always have their High Beam on, in even internal roads always?
Old 26th September 2022, 07:30   #20262
BHPian

I do think that this ‘driving on wrong side’ has spread like a cancer in all the areas. Earlier it used to be 2-wheelers, but now even the BIG vehicles do this blatantly. I don’t know why BTP is ignoring the ‘potential HUGE revenue’ from these violators?
kavensri is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 08:37   #20263
BHPian

Quote:
Is it normal trend now that almost 70-80% drivers riders on the road always have their High Beam on, in even internal roads always? Even signaling them does not help.
Few can be attributed to SUV design with higher headlights but all other cars and two wheelers. To add more, we have those light scattering LED light installed without any guidance and with no real purpose to aid the driver/rider.
It's a lost skill now and in time, most will not even know that you could use a low beam. Everyone thinks that nobody else has the right etiquette and so it's a way of retribution for many to use their own high beam. I use it appropriately but mostly wonder why I need to do it when my ego is hurt due to oncoming vehicles never having the manners to dim down.

Recently, on a 2 lane road with slow moving traffic needing negotiation from either side for passage, a cabbie had high beam on and I dim-dipped to indicate that he shift to low beam as it was blinding, and as he passed me he asked "dim-dip hakudre daari kotbidbeka?" (If you dim-dip incessantly, do you think I will let you pass?)

On the wrong side driving, one of the factors causing higher violoations might be the U turns. E.g. if you are on the ORR, and you are just opposite the place you want to be at, it could still be another 30 mins before you get to that place because of a jammed U-turn

Last edited by airguitar : 26th September 2022 at 08:44.
airguitar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 08:49   #20264
BHPian

Quote:
I find the worst to be the 2 wheelers with their white lights. The yellow lights are somewhat manageable but the white LEDs that most scooters come with now just completely blind you. Worst part is people seem to have their high beams on even on perfectly well lit roads.
rahulcmoulee is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 19:13   #20265
BHPian

Quote:
I had commented on this in the very thread before (I think). Its very dangerous in my opinion. I have factory headlamps from Hyundai and have not upgraded anything. In poorly lit roads, the intensity of my headlights is not that great. And when you have a white LED attached two wheeler or four wheeler coming from the opposite direction, I am blinded. Literally. I question the legality of it even. Since they are "supposed" to be DRLs I think some manufacturers might escape. But I once saw a Thar with a row of 4 LEDs the entire width of the car on the roof, not even tilted downward. I do not want to be driving opposite that Thar in my life!!
gtonsing is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks