Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2011, 05:30   #2041
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

These volvo drivers are absolutely shameless. Although that u turn could have been designed better in order to prevent them from taking the u turn but this is what things have come to now. Unless a cop is standing AND preventing people from breaking the rules, people break the rules with impunity. Most common being going in the opposite lane. I see this every day at the mico junction on bannerghatta road and the ulsoor road - dickenson road junction.
Old 2nd February 2011, 05:45   #2042
BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by grkannah View Post
I completely agree. most of them always try to find a reason and hide behind it rather than owning their mistake and be responsible not to repeat them again.
well in my case, i made a right turn on green and the cop caught me, i had to argue with him.
Old 2nd February 2011, 08:57   #2043
BHPian

Y'day morning around 8am while I was waiting at a red signal in Koramangala, a Black Baleno honked from behind. I thought it's another CHD driver (Compulsive Honking Disorder), ignored him and stood firm. After the signal turned green, he overtook me from left side and sped ahead.
After a few hundred metres, he was joined by a modded OHC (White, AP regd) and both cars started racing from Koramangala (Wipro road) till Madivala market. They were driving in zig-zag and extremely dangerous manner.
At Madivala market the OHC cut across a Lancer very close and the Lancer too joined the race. Beyond this they all vanished from my eyesight.
Humble request to Domestic-Schumachers, please leave the city roads for us, normal human beings. Please limit your stunts to tracks and off-peak times.
Old 2nd February 2011, 09:48   #2044
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
These volvo drivers are absolutely shameless. Although that u turn could have been designed better in order to prevent them from taking the u turn but this is what things have come to now. Unless a cop is standing AND preventing people from breaking the rules, people break the rules with impunity. Most common being going in the opposite lane. I see this every day at the mico junction on bannerghatta road and the ulsoor road - dickenson road junction.
Same is the case at BTM. Unlike most other areas, no 3 consecutive lanes in BTM are interconnected so you'll find motorists, cars and even buses carrying school children going wrong-side!

About the Volvo drivers, you should see how they drive at night (~10.30pm); they obviously are in a rush to get home and in the process try to set new records in maximum acceleration and minimum braking distance!
Old 2nd February 2011, 10:04   #2045
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandans2005 View Post
i was watching it, not a single guy stops before the pedestrain crossing. Everyone stops on the crossing. The traffic waiting for the signal look so shabby and dirty. No lane following, nothing, just keep sneaking in whereever you find little space.

This will not change for a very longtime to come.
In addition to this, NO ONE stops at pedestrian crossings which don't have a traffic signal, and they keep speeding. I see that my dad stops at every pedestrian crossing, and when we do so, people behind us start pressing their loud horns.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch.nathan View Post
Y'day morning around 8am while I was waiting at a red signal in Koramangala, a Black Baleno honked from behind. I thought it's another CHD driver (Compulsive Honking Disorder), ignored him and stood firm. After the signal turned green, he overtook me from left side and sped ahead.
I know of a certain TBHPian who owns a black baleno and has "CHD" in his username.
(This is on a lighter note)

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
About the Volvo drivers, you should see how they drive at night (~10.30pm); they obviously are in a rush to get home and in the process try to set new records in maximum acceleration and minimum braking distance!
Yes, these BMTC drivers are the biggest pain on Bangalore's roads. Check out this thread I created, dedicated to them. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...curb-them.html
Old 5th February 2011, 23:52   #2046
BHPian

Red Signal - So what?
Stop Line - Not for us!!!
Pedestrian Crossing, Other Vehicles - We dont care...
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-p1020722.jpg  

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-p1020723.jpg  

Old 6th February 2011, 21:57   #2047
BHPian

Incident happened while driving my car on kankapura road Bangalore.
I was supposed to take left turn near ring road signal towards Isro layout. I was extreme left waiting for green signal. Couple on a bike came from right parked slightly in front of my car.(He was supposed to go straight). Green signal for left was on, but I could not move my car, bike was in my way. I honked for the biker to give some space to go. Instead giving me space, the lady sitting behind bike started shouting saying don’t think your are the only person owning a car, we do have one.
I wanted to ask her, don’t you have fuel to run it.
1) I hate to communicate any one other than the driver.
2) I hate a lady passenger tiring to justify the driver .
3) The above incident would have been faced by many car owners.
Old 7th February 2011, 19:56   #2048
BHPian

Today i was on my way to office, when i spotted an accident. Area is if you come from mathalli signal towards Forum Value Mall, near shell petrol bunk , there is a left route toward ITPL.

A private Qualis hit a Pulsar from behind few minutes before i reached spot. I pulled over my bike and talked to the victim. He was a IT guy, seems like his leg was injured and all mud and torn pant. I supported him and asked Qualis guy to Park his car and take him to hospital. Qualis guy instead of parking took a right turn and zoomed towards a village road in very high speed. I asked this victim to jump into my Bullet and we chased him for around 2 KM and got hold of him near Baja Service center.

Now we asked why did he run, local people gathered and they supported us. We asked him to park car and now took his keys. We asked him to call a tempo to get victims bike to this service center. We went there got the bike. Damage cost was around 5K.

I suggested qualis guy to call for his 3rd party insurance. Since i was almost 2 hour late, i asked victim to leave the scene and asked him to call police if this guy refuse to pay later.
Old 7th February 2011, 20:20   #2049
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akas_chauhan View Post
Today i was on my way to office, when i spotted an accident. Area is if you come from mathalli signal towards Forum Value Mall, near shell petrol bunk , there is a left route toward ITPL.

A private Qualis hit a Pulsar from behind few minutes before i reached spot. I pulled over my bike and talked to the victim. He was a IT guy, seems like his leg was injured and all mud and torn pant. I supported him and asked Qualis guy to Park his car and take him to hospital. Qualis guy instead of parking took a right turn and zoomed towards a village road in very high speed. I asked this victim to jump into my Bullet and we chased him for around 2 KM and got hold of him near Baja Service center.

Now we asked why did he run, local people gathered and they supported us. We asked him to park car and now took his keys. We asked him to call a tempo to get victims bike to this service center. We went there got the bike. Damage cost was around 5K.

I suggested qualis guy to call for his 3rd party insurance. Since i was almost 2 hour late, i asked victim to leave the scene and asked him to call police if this guy refuse to pay later.
hope the biker didn't have any serious injuries. that was very nice of you to help the victim.

once my bike got rear-ended by a IndiCab. we were returning from office and my wife was riding pillion. when we got hit, i was able to balance the bike (both of us almost fell), but my bike's mudguard was bent completely inwards (CBZ has a long rear mudguard). the IndiCab guy just stared at us trying to recover from the impact, laughed, reversed and scooted like a jack-rabbit! people around just stood there gaping and this happened on the busy Thippasandra market road!

your selfless act is commendable may your tribe grow!
Old 7th February 2011, 20:20   #2050
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narendra.vw View Post
I wanted to ask her, don’t you have fuel to run it.
1) I hate to communicate any one other than the driver.
2) I hate a lady passenger tiring to justify the driver .
3) The above incident would have been faced by many car owners.
Brush off the incident as if it's dust on your shoulder. Right from the auto driver to the CEOs in BMWs, you will find this kind of hoity-toity behaviour. Just move on. But remember to have a strict stand against such people, at least momentarily.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akas_chauhan View Post
I supported him and asked Qualis guy to Park his car and take him to hospital. .
Hats off to you. I keep waiting for such incidents to happen so that I too can be a hero like all us responsible T-BHPians. Keep us posted about the outcome of the case.

@Nathan: Most people see a boost in their social, and economic status, and achieve high degrees, but seldom gain common sense.

Last edited by Arkin evoisrevo : 7th February 2011 at 20:23.
Old 7th February 2011, 23:25   #2051
Senior - BHPian

encountered a nutjob this morning on the BETL. i was heading to office in EC using the BETL and was around 400mts from the turn to EC Phase 1 when i see a white Figo trying to overtake me on the left. all of a sudden i hear blaring horn and see a white Santro speeding and closing the gap fast between it and the white Figo. i decelarate to create some space because i judged by the speed of the Santro that he didn't have any intention of slowing down and was going to zig-zag between the cars!

as i thought, he zig-zagged between the Figo and my car, then past a two wheeler, then snaked past a Versa and then in between couple of two wheelers and a bus and God knows what else!! i've tried to recreate the path of the Santro. the Santro covered about 150mts in 5secs!! that should give you an idea at what speed he was! a slight loss of control and the person could have killed people!

Name:  BETL.png
Views: 617
Size:  17.0 KB

couldn't get the registration completely, but got a part of it: DL-2C-something! i hope the person didn't kill someone down the road!!

ever wonder why people tend stick to the right lane even when driving slow? coz that's what they're taught!!
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-dsc01061.jpg

now that's what i call bumper-to-bumper traffic!
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-dsc01056.jpg

Last edited by IronH4WK : 7th February 2011 at 23:36.
Old 8th February 2011, 08:09   #2052
JVH
Senior - BHPian

^^I've seen this Santro a couple of times and spoke to the driver once on Brigade road when he was trying similar stunts (not at that pace though) The driver was a kid, I guess barely 18 and nothing went into his head. Even the traffic constable there had a word with him. Didn't know what happened after that since I left. Not sure if he is the same fellow.
Old 8th February 2011, 15:01   #2053
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
now that's what i call bumper-to-bumper traffic!
Well, that's bumper-to-bumper with no pedestrian crossing :-) I have seen many cases on Airport Road when people will cross through that tiny gap. I've even seen cyclists crossing with the cycle on their shoulder. That's India !!

The gap in the picture is the safest gap in any signal. In this gap, only people on foot can be between the two vehicles - so there is no risk of dents or scratches in the bumper. If the gap widens a bit, it attracts bikers from all directions and that causes damage to the bumpers. If you further widen the gap to allow safer passage to the biker (safer for your car, not for bikers), then it attracts autos - even bigger trouble. If you have a big heart and allow even autos a safer passage by widening the gap further, then you end up with your initial gap as a car will squeeze into the wide gap now.
Old 8th February 2011, 15:25   #2054
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post

ever wonder why people tend stick to the right lane even when driving slow? coz that's what they're taught!!
I think this the right thing to teach and practice in India, especially in congested cities like Bangalore.
To decongest arterial road, Bangalore Police has plugged all the cuts/openings along all major roads. They even closed some of the earlier junctions where people used to take left/right/U turns. Their intention was good (to straighten traffic flow as much as possible), but audience was wrong (the great intelligent Indians). Soon, the intelligent Indians worked around the problem. They figured out that left side of any road is under-utilized and are generally filled with less aggressive slow moving drivers. So the opportunity is soon encashed and people started using left side of the road to go in the opposit direction of traffic as an alternative to taking large detours just for the sake of following rules. Almost everyday, I see multiple such cases where people use left side to go in the opposit direction. So, if left side is for full-duplex traffic, is it not safer to use right side all the time ?

BTW, if you drive down Airport Road from Marathalli junction, after crossing the HP fuel station, you will notice a very kind panipuriwala. He truly empathizes with the pedestrians that footpaths should not be blocked by hawkers. If footpaths are gone, then where will the pedestrians go ? So he sells panipuri right on the road, but he uses the less-utilized left side and positions himself close to a BBMP (Bruhat Bengaluru Mega Pothole).
Old 9th February 2011, 02:21   #2055
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Vinay, are you trying to justify whats going on the roads? Or that we all shold just stick our heads in the sand, and pretend 'All izz well'.

Rather than asking others to leave the city, you have an easier option of not visiting this thread.
You fail to understand my point here.
Everyone (Myself Included) has problems with the conditions in the city.
People regardless of A/S/L have broken/bent the law in one way or the other.
But instead of accepting the fact, people are ignorant and don't realize their own mistakes and instead tend to point out other people's mistakes.

No Body(98% of people in the city at least) is perfect.

Like many here , I do my part(regardless of how small it is) by making the streets a little more safer for myself and others whom i directly or indirectly affect.

Instead of whining here, people should do their part and register a complaint against the person with the authorities. Then you have done your part in making your city a tiny bit more safer.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks