Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2022, 21:05   #20536
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

It took me just 20 mins from KR puram to Kadubeesanalli at 4 PM today. And I could see that the vehicle density was as high as a few weeks back just that it was completely free flowing. An awesome experience to be able to maintain 30-40 km/hr through out the stretch.

One thing that I feel has made a big difference is that buses are stopping only at places where the road is slightly wider so that 2 lanes of traffic are still flowing.
I also saw a board near ISRO junction asking buses to enter the service road to stop although not sure how many buses actually follow that.

However the one way on service roads is so far not being restricted except at Kadubeesanalli.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 3rd December 2022 at 10:08. Reason: typo edited
anandhsub is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2022, 09:15   #20537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
We all used to ponder, how to make a difference in a system which is so much screwed up. Now we can see for ourselves how one individual can make difference in the lives of lakhs of people by resorting to basics. Special Commissioner (Traffic) Dr M A Saleem is that person and any one who travel on hell on earth corridors like ORR can realize what has changed. The places are swarming with traffic police personnel and traffic wardens. All one way violators and parking violators are dealt with on spot. Roads have been patched up and this is the result.
Travel time drops at Bengaluru traffic hotspots by half

Read more at: https://www.deccanherald.com/city/be...f-1167597.html
We all know this wont last and things will be back to square one soon. But here is the lesson.

Now if a traffic commissioner can make such a difference with no extra funds spent, imagine what a CM or Minister or even a MLA can do for their constituents, if they really care about such issues, stick to basics and apply some logical thoughts.
Couldn't agree more. Heck, even my mileage has gone up from 7-8 kmpl to 9-10 kmpl. I mean it was just about people doing their jobs. It's nice to see the traffic cops regulating vehicular movement. Kudos & hats off to Dr. MA Saleem - power of an individual to get things moving.
sanjayrozario is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2022, 10:07   #20538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
I'm staying in North Bangalore, Vidyaranyapura. I'm looking for a place which can fix my tyre puncture with a Mushroom type plug.
I recently got one done at the iocl bunk in Sanjaynagar : Pluscode 2HHH+MG Bengaluru, Karnataka
Old 3rd December 2022, 10:13   #20539
Senior - BHPian

Perhaps I am seeing things because the free(er) flow of traffic along Bangalore hotspots seems too good to be true
But is it coming at the cost of too stringent a clampdown on commercial goods carrier movement? I hope the lobby groups don't bring this progress to a nought
Old 3rd December 2022, 10:17   #20540
Senior - BHPian

It’s real. The traffic on ORR is well controlled. Buses are diverted to service road. Heavy vehicles are off the road. But this is not going to sustain, just like the bus lanes. I don’t think they can afford to have these policemen standing there forever. Heavy vehicles taken out is a good move, hope atleast that continues.
balenoed_ is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2022, 18:17   #20541
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I drove from Silk board all the way to Bel circle on Friday around 9:30 am and was pleasantly surprised. There was a decent flow all the time. The occasional stoppage was due to the odd accident or a breakdown.
Old 3rd December 2022, 19:31   #20542
BANNED

My area has seen a sudden increase in traffic, especially in the evening, RT Nagar, especially Adi Kabir Ashram Main road and Dinnur main road, I travel through these roads everyday, it takes atleast 20-30 minutes sometimes to clear the road

Some people are on the next level, I don't understand why do they move on the wrong side despite dividers being placed. These people make it more difficult for the other side of the traffic to pass which makes the situation even more worse.
Piyush Kanthak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2022, 00:51   #20543
BHPian

Now that’s called great policing and active involvement of law enforcement agencies. If you had happened to cross Vijaya Bank Layout or the Paradise Biryani signal in JP Nagar or the RV road metro station cross in the third week of November 2022, I have donned the role of a traffic cop to clear the traffic pile up.

It’s always impromptu for me and just feel awesome after regulating traffic for 30-40 minutes and helping in the smooth flow of traffic. So yes, let’s play our part in keeping Bangalore moving!
MDED is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2022, 10:01   #20544
BHPian

Quote:
Traffic police have three major functions - regulation of traffic, enforcement of traffic laws and road safety (prevention and investigation of crashes). We are now focusing more on regulation and road safety. These are our priority areas. Now, the traffic is regulated well and in a coordinated manner. Certain measures such as stoppage of heavy goods vehicles during the peak hours has helped in reducing traffic congestion. There is a free-flow of vehicles in a majority of junctions.
https://www.deccanherald.com/city/to...n-1168236.html
Old 4th December 2022, 10:16   #20545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
I don’t think they can afford to have these policemen standing there forever.
I think the ORRCA is paying for it. Similar to how it is done in Electronic City.
Old 4th December 2022, 11:01   #20546

Indiranagar 100" road is undergoing white topping; apparently started a week ago. Faced the brunt of it yesterday. Went to the Honda Bigwings to check out the H'ness Anniversary edition (it is positively delectable; looked smashing with a fully accessorized load out) approaching from the KFC junction. The showroom section is probably already done and now the stretch from the 12th Main road junction till the Domlur flyover has been blocked. There were diversions galore with an impressive number of cops manning the inner crosses as well for routing the flyover bound traffic. I was on a two wheeler; had it been the car, I doubt if I would have gotten out of it in under an hour. I mostly followed the traffic and connected with the flyover junction coming from behind the Khivraj Bajaj showroom. This stretch is likely to remain blocked for at least a month more in spite of the slab laying machine doing its thing.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-indiranagar100ft0312202201.jpeg  

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-indiranagar100ft0312202202.jpeg  

Old 4th December 2022, 20:34   #20547
Senior - BHPian

One more initiative: No school buses after 8.30 am as Bengaluru police move to ease traffic congestion

Quote:
The main idea is to segregate peak-hour office-going traffic from the school traffic before 8.30 am. School buses are supposed to drop students before 8.15 am. After 8.30 am, no school bus will be allowed to stop near schools and violators will have to pay a penalty.
https://indianexpress.com/article/ci...ataka-8302551/
Old 5th December 2022, 10:22   #20548
BHPian

Why to put restriction on school buses when majority of ORR traffic is caused by this endless sea of cars? I see so many cars with no passengers, worst being 7 seaters.

I wish other SEZs take Bagmane tech park and Ecoworld way of uaing BMTC buses instead of using hundreds of cabs. Or at least hybrid way where they provide cabs to routes that are not covered by BMTC.
Anyways, the only solution for this mess is the metro. Hope it completes by 2025.
Old 5th December 2022, 14:22   #20549
Senior - BHPian

Yes, traffic on ORR seems well controlled since Nov last week. Kudos to folks involved. But I would still like to see this in Jan & mid/Feb.

Atleast in my firm Nov last week onwards people have gone to their hometowns because of thanksgiving(not for celebrating but since US was on holiday) and December is usually shutdown period from 2nd week, so people will continue to WFH mostly till EOY. Am sure that's the case in a lot of firms?

So my guess is overall we will continue to see smoother traffic till Jan 1st week. Post that the real test begins. But here's hoping for the best. Pre-Covid I used to drive on ORR and I remember fondly 2019 December was pretty peaceful. Post-covid once offices resumed, I have started using shared office cabs, helps keep my sanity when I reach office & am sure it helps cab folks with their business

P.S: Metro work though seems to be on war footing. I strongly feel this route would be the fastest to get operational.

Last edited by SoumenD : 5th December 2022 at 14:45.
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2022, 16:35   #20550
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Falconist View Post
Indiranagar 100" road is undergoing white topping; apparently started a week ago. -----.
It must be really profitable for whoever is concerned in this "white topping" exercises. All road users know how bumpy these roads are and very uneven. The edges are risky for two wheelers. And they cause tremendous amount of hardship for road users during the 'laying'. I know some might argue that it has less maintenance and I will agree. But nicely laid bitumen based roads are best from an end user's point of view and from contractors point of view too, periodic maintenance will give them money
gtonsing is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks