Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2022, 16:49   #20551
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtonsing View Post
It must be really profitable for whoever is concerned in this "white topping" exercises. All road users know how bumpy these roads are and very uneven. The edges are risky for two wheelers. And they cause tremendous amount of hardship for road users during the 'laying'. I know some might argue that it has less maintenance and I will agree. But nicely laid bitumen based roads are best from an end user's point of view and from contractors point of view too, periodic maintenance will give them money
In big lotteries like Powerball in US, when you win there are 2 options one bulk payment vs smaller payments over time. White topping is the bulk payment for people who do it and also for the 40% thing . Plus there is lots of opportunities in our always developing country.

I use ORR from Nayandahalli and one inside RR Nagar, although they are little bumpy, they have been consistent over lot of rains in the last 2 years. Also, they appear very neat without dust etc since they are smooth. Loose soil or or other debris from road surface that form due to friction doesn't sit on it unlike on tarred ones. Not sure what edges you are talking. They are same level up to footpaths everywhere.
PreludeSH is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th December 2022, 17:08   #20552
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtonsing View Post
It must be really profitable for whoever is concerned in this "white topping" exercises. All road users know how bumpy these roads are and very uneven. The edges are risky for two wheelers. And they cause tremendous amount of hardship for road users during the 'laying'. I know some might argue that it has less maintenance and I will agree. But nicely laid bitumen based roads are best from an end user's point of view and from contractors point of view too, periodic maintenance will give them money
Most of all, apart from the contractor-politico nexus, the greatest beneficiary of concrete/white-topping are the tyre shops. Tyre wear is multiples times on concrete, rather than tarmac.
venkyhere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 09:10   #20553
BHPian

The worst part of white topping is the cement dust. Ever since our colony road got white topping, amount of dust that gets into house has increased significantly. It is so bad that by the time I pick newspaper from my gate, it already has a thin layer of dust on it. Another issue is with water seepage. Water cannot seep into earth through cement road and one has to have really good drain system to collect rainwater.
ambandla is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 14:34   #20554
Distinguished - BHPian

https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities...31124.ece/amp/

Complete mockery of an institution charged with Bangalore's management. How can 3 days turn into 13?!
Old 7th December 2022, 14:40   #20555
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities...31124.ece/amp/

Complete mockery of an institution charged with Bangalore's management. How can 3 days turn into 13?!
One way for them to solve commuter woes is to work incessantly day and night in order to complete their work ahead of time. We do have more than enough labour in India.
Old 7th December 2022, 14:50   #20556
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
How can 3 days turn into 13?!
Aiyoo saar, a 10-day overshoot is nothing in the context of Bengaluru infra-related projects! Compare it with the number of underpass, magic box, pothole-filling, footpath repairing, white-topping, flyover opening, Namma Metro section opening, etc. etc. deadlines. (Or pedestrian over-bridge deadlines that never materialize!)

We should rejoice that 3 days turned only into 13 and not 31, or 310!

Last edited by am1m : 7th December 2022 at 14:54.
am1m is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 15:43   #20557
Senior - BHPian

Got in WA.

Quote:
*IMPORTANT Traffic Advisory - Old Airport Road Marathahalli Railway Over bridge*
Work for implementation of the 2nd Half of the PUSH BOX UNDERPASS has started today (5th December 2022). Traffic diversion in Old Airport Road is implemented and vehicles are diverted to one side of the ROB

This underpass would enable U Turn below the ROB while coming from Marathahalli and help reduce Traffic Congestion at multiple places

This work is expected to take about 40 days and the diversion is expected to significantly increase commute time in both directions from Kundalahalli Gate towards Marathahalli and vice versa

Commuters are requested to use alternative routes wherever feasible

Plz plan the commute accordingly

#HopefortheFuture

_Today’s pain…Tomorrow’s GAIN_

Mahadevapura Task Force
Mobility
This Mahadevpura task force is so funny, look at the tag line. I would like to rephrase it as Today’s pain.. tomorrow’s gain.. tomorrow’s pain.. day after tomorrow’s gain.. and so on..

Bengaluru is a Work In Progress city.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 16:05   #20558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreludeSH View Post
White topping is the bulk payment for people who do it and also for the 40% thing .

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreludeSH View Post
Not sure what edges you are talking. They are same level up to footpaths everywhere.
Concrete surfaces will be rough and they should be rounded or evened out using Concrete Edger Tools. I doubt about the use in India in govt. projects. Even a small drop of extra cement can cause puncture to bigger vehicles and it can be fatal for 2 wheelers.

Tar roads do have the cushion effect and over a period of time evens out, unlike Cement Roads. Cement Roads should never be used on highways, because of the speed. There is very less friction between the tyre and the road.
jaaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2022, 19:40   #20559
BHPian

Instructions by Special Commissioner of Traffic Police to decongest traffic in Whitefield and Mahadevpura areas

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-20221208_193703.jpg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-20221208_193706.jpg
BrokenHW is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th December 2022, 23:32   #20560
BHPian

100% work from home allowed till Dec 2023 for IT/ITES units in SEZs by Govt. Should have some positive impact on the traffic in ORR and Whitefield.

https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/in...3-9674081.html

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 9th December 2022 at 14:17. Reason: A word
achilles101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2022, 09:59   #20561
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achilles101 View Post
100% work from home allowed till Dec 2023 for IT/ITES units in SEZs by Govt. Should have some positive impact on the traffic in ORR and Whitefield.
The catch is if the so called IT 'Majors' will actually allow this to happen. I see a lot of push from IT Company Top Management to get more people to be back in office.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 9th December 2022 at 14:18. Reason: Quoted post edited
sachinpk is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2022, 10:15   #20562
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
The catch is if the so called IT 'Majors' will actually allow this to happen. I see a lot of push from IT Company Top Management to get more people to be back in office.
Yep, not just a push, some of them have done a complete 180. During the pandemic they actually published lines like "x% will be fully remote by y year", "no drop in productivity", "will hire from all over the nation", etc etc. All just to get publicity. And now those same companies are forcing middle management to pressure their teams to return to the office pronto.

Funny, but it seems just like a metro system. A good metro system will not mean traffic jams disappear. It gives those who chose to use it and structure their lives around it, a saner alternative to beat pollution and stress. Similarly, allowing remote work will not solve ORR's traffic woes. It will just give those companies and employees who choose to use it, another option.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2022, 13:42   #20563
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
I see a lot of push from IT Company Top Management to get more people to be back in office.
Does this argue a certain ‘trust deficit’ or a ‘desire to control’?
Or is productivity actually suffering because of WFH?
Old 9th December 2022, 13:51   #20564
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Does this argue a certain ‘trust deficit’ or a ‘desire to control’?
Or is productivity actually suffering because of WFH?
I believe it's more of the latter (productivity less). I might be speaking for a specific set of companies though. What happenned during the pandemic is that everyone continued to do their work that they had been doing for years - all good, we saved 2 to 3 hours on daily commute.

Now, a lot of new people have joined, other folks have changed roles and so it so happens that atleast 20 to 30% of the team has changed and teams need more collaboration for the new folks to be productive.
At the same time, the older folks also need collaboration to keep learning and innovating new stuff. So they will benefit from being together. Lastly, even to build the trust factor, you need to keep meeting frequently. Else, the ultimate result is loss of productivity.
Old 10th December 2022, 08:31   #20565
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenHW View Post
Instructions by Special Commissioner of Traffic Police to decongest traffic in Whitefield and Mahadevpura areas

Attachment 2387982

Attachment 2387983
Point no.8 : finally someone takes note of it. This has gone on too long with no accountability from anyone. I have to cross that road on Saturdays for some hospital visits for my aged father and I have to minimally plan for 30-45 minutes extra because weekend revelers using the malls and their transportation ( cabs waiting to pick them up etc ) cause such a snarl even at 10/11 PM when I'm returning from the visits. Simply atrocious; there should have been better "cab waiting areas" or at the least better management of traffic in the area.

Mr. Saleem, thank you for the improvements in the recent times, it makes a world of difference to beleaguered people like me - I have been able to save 15 minutes one way of late. I have always believed that the answers to traffic problems of Bangalore are really simple : boot the traffic law violators, address illegal parking (and stopping), move bus stops away from junctions and traffic merging points and finally, put policemen on minor/medium junctions. Also, please book/suspend driving licenses of people using mobile phones during driving (someone was posting a full-fledged FB post in moving traffic this week) - they are a real hazard. One such person rear-ended my vehicle some time ago. All this will take care of 60-70% of the problems. The remaining is really to do with better public transport.

I also saw a recent post on automatic traffic violations catching at many junctions : it's sad to note that most of this is in "old bangalore" area which only sees a fraction of the violations and traffic density compared to new bangalore ( Hebbal, KR Puram, Marathahalli, Bellandur, Whitefield ) - it should have first been rolled out in the new bangalore areas.

Separately, can't believe how many big business establishments use public infra in the name of "valet parking" - sometimes a full lane is taken for hundreds of meters.

Last edited by airguitar : 10th December 2022 at 08:37.
airguitar is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks