Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2023, 13:59   #20626
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
I want to start reporting all the absurd traffic signals across BLR. So many of them are irrationally programmed or point in the wrong direction; can only imagine what a newbie or non-BLR driver must be feeling!
Another issue i noticed is the Bomanahalli signal towards ECity. When you are trying to turn right into Bomanahalli the traffic light is green and timer counts down. While it is still 21...20...it turned red all of a sudden! Sorry to say but this will be flagged as jumping red light and you have to cough up fine for no fault of yours.
Old 5th January 2023, 15:22   #20627
BHPian

Quote:
Right / left turn signals:
Again, blinking right or left turn signals are not standardized and nor are the timers. Some simply go off without blinking, others are steady amber to show no-go, others are red.

I'm sure many more instances can be added to this list.
Very true and a potential hazard. One never knows when the blinking green would stop and whether or not to pursue the right turn because the moment this blinking green stops, the opposite side traffic will pounce on you like hungry velociraptors.

In many other signals, the green to red transition happens without even a second of amber and this is dangerous as well. This mostly happens when traffic police manually interfere with the signals.
Old 5th January 2023, 17:25   #20628
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Both green & red:
In many key intersections, the signal is steady green AND red. What it wants to signal is that you cannot turn right at that signal, only go straight. I don't understand which brainbox thought of this strategy though!
Would be so much easier for everyone if all lights on every cluster were directional arrows. They painted over some of the lights recently in heart iconography for some campaign, couldn't be that hard to do arrows if they really wanted to.

Quote:
Right / left turn signals:
Again, blinking right or left turn signals are not standardized and nor are the timers. Some simply go off without blinking, others are steady amber to show no-go, others are red...
Oh the number of time my dashcam has rescued me! If I'm pulled over for 'jumping' red, I offer to show footage to the cop that I entered the junction with the lights still green (not even amber). Some ask to take a look, most just wave me away and catch the poor sod one car over who may not have a dashcam.

Dysfunctional timers and green going red without warning is practically a racket now.

I usually slow down and cross cautiously if an open green is devoid of traffic, a good indicator it's been open a while and is about to go red.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 5th January 2023 at 17:29.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th January 2023, 18:27   #20629
BHPian

Anybody knows how to check for traffic violations in Bangalore / Karnataka online only by vehicle number. The KarnatakaOne website expects additional details like challan no. and violation amount while the btp.gov.in website doesn't seem to work.
Old 5th January 2023, 18:40   #20630
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by achilles101 View Post
Anybody knows how to check for traffic violations in Bangalore / Karnataka online only by vehicle number. The KarnatakaOne website expects additional details like challan no. and violation amount while the btp.gov.in website doesn't seem to work.
Paytm. Search by phrase 'traffic challan', select BTP and enter vehicle number to search.

Seems legit as the BTP site also has a Paytm reference link out that points the same way.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-screenshot_20230105184112.png

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 5th January 2023 at 18:42.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th January 2023, 21:05   #20631
BHPian

I live near Hoodi and traffic department has done plenty of good changes to improve our commute but unfortunately our so called citizens are derailing everything just to save a 100m worth of petrol. I particularly despise two wheeler riders (I drive one too) because they are the ones who violate most of the rules left right and center with no regard for anything. This morning I noticed that the free left turn from Sumadhura apartment to Buruka Tech Park road was jammed because few two wheeler riders had moved the road dividers to take U turn at a narrow spot instead of doing it a 100m ahead of the road. I noticed it and sent a tweet to the cops and within 3 hours they responded and moved the divider to correct location.
Within 9 hours, the great two wheeler riding citizens once again moved the divider to take their turns
I say it was done by 2 wheelers because the size of the opening they made can only allow 1 two wheeler at s time
I am loosing all hopes of seeing our country becoming civilized in my lifetime (I am just 30 BTW)

Here's the tweet thread
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-screenshot_20230105205528_chrome.jpg
nagr22 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 5th January 2023, 22:58   #20632

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreludeSH View Post
Just came back driving to Mandya and back. 3 lanes on the highway looks less
And any time 2 buses or trucks occupy 2 lanes, even with the 3rd one the traffic becomes dense. They should stop considering this as a inter city highway and should have added more lanes like its within a city
Brother what about those small cars that drive in 2 lans at once so that they can get every chance when there is gap formed from either lane. Here in Chennai OMR, metro construction has reduced three lanes to two, but the driving of morons and imbeciles has made it hardly one lane.
Old 5th January 2023, 23:28   #20633
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FURY_44 View Post
A victory of sorts for me and my fellow motorists, by decongesting the infamous Gorguntepalya railway overbridge junction.
Wow! Citizen impact to the fore. This mess was prevalent in Bangalore since time immemorial. However, BTP was too lazy to wake up from their slumber (they always woke up during 11-2 pm to collect). Owing to the “bursting at seams” situation of Bengaluru city, numerous left and right turns have caused massive bottlenecks. After the renowned senior cop Shri M A Saleem, IPS was given charge of traffic department, he has swung into action and resultant is blocking of the numerous left, right and nonsense U turns and your guess is as good as mine, traffic personnel were free from manning these numerous turns and deployed at major junctions to regulate traffic. I have witnessed this thing in South Bengaluru and East Bengaluru. North Bengaluru will take some time to settle the gridlocks!
Old 6th January 2023, 13:01   #20634
BHPian

Quote:
A victory of sorts for me and my fellow motorists, by decongesting the infamous Gorguntepalya railway overbridge junction.
Great Job

I had sent a message on twitter to ask them regulate traffic near Hebbal junction. There is a left service road which should be used by airport bound vehicles. BMTC and other vehicles use it and block even when there is a free left turn for airport bound vehicles.

In addition BMTC and other morons drive through even in red light from that lane. All I received was tagging someone from Hebbal station and no action
Old 6th January 2023, 13:37   #20635
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I tweeted the possible solution to Mr. Kuldeep Kumar R Jain DCP Traffic West on the 9th of Dec 22, and he replied back by tagging the Yeshwantpura BTP handle. A week went by and my solution and tweet were not addressed, the junction was still manned by cops, and the usual traffic till BEL circle still existed. I did a follow-up on 22nd of Dec 22 with Mr. Kuldeep saying the traffic woes at the junction still continue.
Awesome !

The authorities have to review the situation from their side before a suggested solution is implemented. They will observe things for a few days before doing anything. But good that you did a follow-up, and that they have implemented it.

Many many years ago, when I was working at EGL, I had suggested a solution for the infamous traffic jam outside EGL on both to & Fro lanes of the inner ring road. I did see some cops observing traffic for a few days, and we can even see a break in the divider outside the EGL south gate. However it was not implemented, dont know why.

To re-cap, the congestion is because both sets of vehicles - ones going towards Koramangala and also those going towards old airport all have to go upto the mid-point of the ring road. There, the vehicles going towards old airport road take a U-turn to head back. The basic point for the jam on this stretch is - longer the vehicles on the road, more the traffic density and hence jams.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2023, 15:44   #20636
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagr22 View Post
I live near Hoodi and traffic department has done plenty of good changes to improve our commute but unfortunately our so called citizens are derailing everything just to save a 100m worth of petrol.
I live near this area and it BOILS my blood beyond belief. The have to permanently fix concrete median at this part which is immovable to prevent this from happening.
krishnakumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2023, 12:52   #20637
Distinguished - BHPian

Something to note on weekdays between Hebbal & Sadahalli (KIAL toll) is that at at 1030 sharp, all the LCVs are allowed back.

Expect a spike in traffic (and undisciplined at that) with multiple Ace trucks jockeying to 'race' to their destination. I imagine all of them must be carrying lifesaving drugs.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2023, 12:59   #20638
BHPian

Quote:
Something to note on weekdays between Hebbal & Sadahalli (KIAL toll) is that at at 1030 sharp, all the LCVs are allowed back.
But hasn't this been the case already? I have a tough time navigating the ORR towards Hebbal and beyond if I leave home after 10. Unfortunately the commute pattern will not allow me to avoid it either. It's an easy 10-to-12-minute wait in the Hebbal junction every single time i end up in that forlorn signal

Last edited by SR-71 : 8th January 2023 at 13:01.
Old 9th January 2023, 09:39   #20639
BHPian

I got stuck in a 10 min gridlock near Graphite India because the so called "Free left" was blocked by vehicles of all sizes driving on the wrong side
About 20 vehicles decided to save 2 precious minutes of their life by making at least 1000 cars wait for 10 mins. They caused a gridlock and were determined enough that they refused to back off and continued to wait patiently till few good drivers on the correct side of road 'adjusted' and gave some way for these VIPs to continue on the wrong side. Special mention that these 20 VIPs are not some chapri boys or rowdy men but educated citizens with ID badges around their neck and international school going kids riding as pillion
I used to think the cops and government planners were the reason for state of Bangalore traffic but the citizens are equally, if not more responsible for this mess.
nagr22 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 9th January 2023, 09:58   #20640
Distinguished - BHPian

Bangalore Traffic is back to 'normal' mode. Stuck on ORR entry point near Agara lake for quite a while. And we still have to continue ahead till Bellandur (/RMZ Ecospace). Only silver lining is I took the office cab and have already opened up my laptop (meme alert!).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks