Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2023, 15:14   #20686
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

I have almost given up complaining. Firstly, with lot of practice, I developed a Zen Mode. Gave up the hurriedness in driving, started giving way to anyone and everyone who wants. Reduced a lot of stress associated with City driving. And thanks to ageing, bad condition of the roads, and a limited budget, I changed my car from a more powerful and tight build to a relatively lighter car with half the eagerness to go fast and a softer suspension. Voila! Things have become even better!

Sarcasm and pragmatism apart, I have given up the hope that our City will ever improve. Given up the hope on the Police to do anything about the situation. The offenders will likely get away in most cases. And ours isn't a country where we can demonstrate a good example. People will just think you are crazy, curse you, and move on with their life as they see the only solution to everything is be a part of thr chaos. On a really bad day I curse all the chaos and other days simply turn a blind eye. I try taking a wider road where available even if it adds a few kilometers to my journey to avoid chaos.

The irony? This is just another rant!
theabstractmind is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 19th January 2023, 18:39   #20687
Senior - BHPian

Relatable (rants) on wrong side driving. For a usually docile person, seeing blatant violation of wrong side driving replete with honking and flashing really gets my goat! I have been guilty of not giving violators their 'way' and honking back in a bid to teach them a lesson ( a futile endeavour)

I will take a leaf out of some of the earlier posts, making peace with the inevitable
GeeTee TSI is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2023, 22:13   #20688
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theabstractmind View Post
I have almost given up complaining. Firstly, with lot of practice, I developed a Zen Mode. Gave up the hurriedness in driving, started giving way to anyone and everyone who wants. Reduced a lot of stress associated with City driving. And thanks to ageing, bad condition of the roads, and a limited budget, I changed my car from a more powerful and tight build to a relatively lighter car with half the eagerness to go fast and a softer suspension. Voila! Things have become even better!

Sarcasm and pragmatism apart, I have given up the hope that our City will ever improve. Given up the hope on the Police to do anything about the situation. The offenders will likely get away in most cases. And ours isn't a country where we can demonstrate a good example. People will just think you are crazy, curse you, and move on with their life as they see the only solution to everything is be a part of thr chaos. On a really bad day I curse all the chaos and other days simply turn a blind eye. I try taking a wider road where available even if it adds a few kilometers to my journey to avoid chaos.

The irony? This is just another rant!
Reading this is like a visit to an older generation barber shop where a see-the-back-of-your-head rear-mirror is permanently installed behind your seat. Recursion is happening, while talking about recursion.
venkyhere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 09:14   #20689

You know what really grinds my gears?

Highway:
- Slow moving traffic hogging the right lane and doesn't bother to move even if you honk continuously (basically these people were born as cows in their previous birth)
- Motorcycle riders not sticking to motorcycle lane, they sometimes come to right lane too. It's like they don't know physics at all. Just a slight touch at that speeds will send them flying from their bikes.
- No lane discipline lorries. Basically no lorry follow lane discipline. We need to seriously improve the driving license test.

City
- Slow moving traffic hogging the right lane (again). Especially auto-rickshaws.
- Those who want to go right at a signal stops at the left side blocking the entire lane even if it is free left and straight.
- Bus stops. Oh man this is the most frustrating one, especially after silkboard flyover towards electronic City. Buses hog the entire road sometimes creating huge traffic jams. Government should seriously do something about this, like a dedicated lane near bus stop and strict rule enforcement that only buses should be allowed in that lane (this is just not possible but one can dream).
-~=+Killa+=~- is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 09:32   #20690
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Driving to office this morning in my Gypsy.
At Koramangala BDA signal I could see a Police Bolero rocketing up behind from perhaps 300 yards away just as the lights were green-turning-amber.
He kept intermittently blaring his siren all the way. Short bursts.
So since I (and several other cars) were already in queue in the right lane in order to turn right, I turned and then moved to the left side and drove along to the next left turn SukhSagar. At this point our friend the Police Bolero overtook me, still blaring his siren in bursts and one chap (flunkey) was half hanging out of the left side window with his arm out stretched indicating that he also wanted to turn left.
At first I thought he was gesticulating at me asking me to pull over and I couldn’t for the life of me imagine why, because I had not broken any rules and was just cruising along at a peaceful 40kmph and enjoying my Gypsy rowing through its gears!
Then when the Bolero turned and sped off I realised that the law man/ sheriff was merely rushing along in pursuit of his duties!
Old 20th January 2023, 10:47   #20691
BHPian

I have been driving in Bengaluru for over 3 years now. Mainly from home to work, JP nagar to KR Market area and back.
Coming from previously driving in Chandigarh for 10 plus years it has been a rude shock.
Main issues encountered are -
1. Sheer volume of traffic.
2. People not obeying traffic signals.
3. Most of the people assume that every left turn at a traffic signal is a free left turn.
4. Auto’s and 2 wheelers driving in the middle of the road or the right side of the road at a very slow pace.
5. Young lads on scooties doing wheelies
6. People driving on wrong side of the road without any fear of repercussions
7. Very aggressive behaviour.
Yesterday night I was going to my home in JP nagar and came across a fellow who was driving a Scooty in the middle of the road on the wrong side with head lights on full beem. I had to come to a full stop. When i honked the horn, this person had the audacity to come upto my passenger side window and show his middle finger.
Simply diabolical.
Fortunately, the 4 wheeler drivers in Bengaluru generally follow traffic rules as per my experience.

Last edited by D4d-maniac : 20th January 2023 at 10:54.
Old 20th January 2023, 11:57   #20692
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by -~=+Killa+=~- View Post
- Motorcycle riders not sticking to motorcycle lane
Where do we have motorcycle lanes? Am I missing something here?
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 12:23   #20693

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Left most lane near the end of the tarmac is for 2 wheelers right? That lane is wide enough for 2 wheelers. I may be wrong though but two wheelers sticking to that lane is the safest option for themselves and also for others.
-~=+Killa+=~- is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 12:28   #20694
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, it's the "whatever-vehicle-I-can-afford-needs-to-have-right-of-way and everyone-else-needs-to-keep-clear" lane.

All of us Bangalore drivers/riders are very particular about that form of lane discipline.
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 12:40   #20695
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by -~=+Killa+=~- View Post
Left most lane near the end of the tarmac is for 2 wheelers right?
Nope. That space is called the shoulder of the road. No vehicle is supposed to drive on that (for their own safety and that of other road users). In India it should be around 2-2.5 metres wide.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoulder_(road)
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 13:03   #20696
BHPian

Quote:
Nope. That space is called the shoulder of the road. No vehicle is supposed to drive on that (for their own safety and that of other road users). In India it should be around 2-2.5 metres wide.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoulder_(road)
Rant 2. On Indian Highways, especially on our beloved NICE road - it is the defacto overtaking lanes for vehicles of all sizes. You have trucks occupying the two main lanes. And they won't make way whether you honk or flash the headlights. So all other vehicles are advised to make use of the shoulder for overtakes.
Old 20th January 2023, 13:54   #20697
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That space is called the shoulder of the road. No vehicle is supposed to drive on that (for their own safety and that of other road users). In India it should be around 2-2.5 metres wide.
In India, I think that so called shoulder lane is more safer for two wheelers than the actual lanes.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 14:55   #20698
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
In India, I think that so called shoulder lane is more safer for two wheelers than the actual lanes.
Not necessarily. The shoulder could end abruptly at a culvert or an overpass or a bridge; if you are not familiar with the road you might not be able to take timely evasive action.

And as the NICE road experience above mentions - shoulders aren't any extra-safe for two wheelers if other road users use it as an extra lane.

Last edited by binand : 20th January 2023 at 14:56.
binand is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 16:20   #20699
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

As a human;
When Im walking as a pedestrian I don’t like bikes and cars and autos and things
When Im on a bike I don’t like pedestrians, cars and autos and things.
When Im in a car I don’t like pedestrians, bikes, autos and things.

There is a serious deficit of patience in our world.
There is a serious deficit of tolerance too.
And to crown it all there is a breezy disregard for any and all of the rules and laws of the land.
shankar.balan is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 19:52   #20700
BHPian

Major concrete work happening on NICE road and it has become a major problem. On the plus side work is happening at faster pace vs last year so there seems to be end in sight maybe few months down the line. Also diversions have been planned decently. But the sheer volume of traffic at times especially trucks throws the system off at times. If an accident happens then we are having major bottlenecks.

One issue as always is merging into single lane which could be managed by posting someone

Most Viewed