Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2023, 21:52   #20746
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Mother of wrong side driving. Not sure if he is alive.

https://twitter.com/citizenkamran/st...JQvHeOl67oIAeQ
balenoed_ is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 10:20   #20747
BHPian

Cross posting from another thread about a biker stopping on ECity Flyover.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ml#post5490111 (Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em)
Old 6th February 2023, 12:02   #20748
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Mother of wrong side driving. Not sure if he is alive.

https://twitter.com/citizenkamran/st...JQvHeOl67oIAeQ
Good thing is, if he is alive and get fined for this, he can opt for the 50% waiver scheme currently ongoing

Link
Old 6th February 2023, 13:55   #20749
BHPian

We were waiting for our turn at KIAL toll, when a car insisted on jumping the queue and kept at it for a while. My cab driver stepped out picked up a stone and I was so sure he was going to smash something. To my surprise, he placed it in front of the rear wheels of our impatient neighbor and both of us had a smile on our faces for the rest of the 90 min drive
vinu_h is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 14:49   #20750
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Please note!

Restricted vehicle movement for India Energy Week
Read more at: https://www.deccanherald.com/city/re...k-1187711.html

Will create mayhem on the rubbish 'peripheral' roads, but hugely help city traffic
Thanks for the alert. Assuming Ballari road is the Hyderabad highway, how would a visitor from Hyderabad drive to Bellandur, keeping these restrictions in mind? Entering after 10 pm and before 6 am seems to be the only possible way, but can Bangolerans throw some light on alternate routes?
Old 6th February 2023, 15:41   #20751
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Thanks for the alert. Assuming Ballari road is the Hyderabad highway, how would a visitor from Hyderabad drive to Bellandur, keeping these restrictions in mind? Entering after 10 pm and before 6 am seems to be the only possible way, but can Bangolerans throw some light on alternate routes?
The best way would be to reach Hoskote , take a deviation at Devanahalli and then proceed towards Whitefield and Bellandur. Its a long detour but better than getting stuck.
puntra800 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 16:31   #20752
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Hey, only for goods vehicles! . Not applicable to your Ecosport.
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 16:37   #20753
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Hey, only for goods vehicles! . Not applicable to your Ecosport.
Thanks, i wasn't aware of this. In any case, my plans are only for this Friday. I plan to leave Hyderabad after work hours around 530 pm. I guess I'll be able to reach in 8.5 hours, assuming traffic from Hebbal won't be bad after midnight.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2023, 10:42   #20754
BHPian

Experienced this jam several times. Now if I have to cross this area, I do it before 8AM. The famous Iblur junction, with its marvelous design and the cascading effect can be seen every morning here. And when I say morning, do not expect it to clear by 11AM or so. Nope, I have been stuck here at 1PM!

Just look at the below image. Traffic at a standstill everywhere.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-iblur-jam.jpg
drive2eternity is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2023, 11:26   #20755
BHPian

It's not just the design of Iblur junction that leads to regular chaos. It's the population density on Sarjapur Road and Harlur Road, combined with the fact that everyone tends to move in a Car.

I used to live near Iblur junction in early 2000s and it was all bliss, hardly any traffic.
When Harlur road and Sarjapur road were seeing massive construction boom, I used to wonder where will the traffic go, with so many apartments/offices.

Well, the answer is - traffic is not gonna go, it is designed to remain standstill!!
Acharya is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 7th February 2023, 11:44   #20756
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharya View Post
It's not just the design of Iblur junction that leads to regular chaos. It's the population density on Sarjapur Road and Harlur Road,
Harlur & Hosa road are used by most of the people coming in from Hosur road side beyond the Hosa road junction of Hosur Road (E-city included). So the population density of Harlur road is less to blame IMHO however the poor road width of both Harlur road and Hosa road do contribute their part in building up traffic on these roads. The slow-moving traffic on Sarjapur road that these roads feed into also doesnot help.

In essence, our city planners donot seem to have heard of a science called traffic engineering while designing roads and junctions.
Old 7th February 2023, 11:55   #20757
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorlover View Post
Harlur & Hosa road are used by most of the people coming in from Hosur road side beyond the Hosa road junction of Hosur Road (E-city included). So the population density of Harlur road is less to blame IMHO however the poor road width of both Harlur road and Hosa road do contribute their part in building up traffic on these roads. The slow-moving traffic on Sarjapur road that these roads feed into also doesnot help.

In essence, our city planners donot seem to have heard of a science called traffic engineering while designing roads and junctions.
When you dont even know if there will be 100 houses are 10000 apartments coming up, how will you engineer the roads ? same for commercial buildings. No one takes into account what will be allowed on yet to build vacant lands.

I think only BDA should form layouts. They are the only ones who look at everything during planning stage. The eastern part of the city is a planned mess. I rarely visit that part and every time it reminds its doesnt seem like Bengaluru in every aspect.

Last edited by PreludeSH : 7th February 2023 at 11:58.
Old 7th February 2023, 12:18   #20758
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreludeSH View Post

I think only BDA should form layouts. They are the only ones who look at everything during planning stage. The eastern part of the city is a planned mess. I rarely visit that part and every time it reminds its doesnt seem like Bengaluru in every aspect.
BDA spends most of its earnings on salaries and is unable to complete and handover layouts that have been formed several decades back (Sir MV layout, BSK VI, Anjanapura etc) to BBMP for onwards maintenance.

Regarding population density and apartments/ housing, it follows where there is work. Like it or not, this part of the city has the max concentration of work today (tech parks on Marathalli- Sarjapur stretch, E-city) etc and hence the govt which is approving land allocation to such parks would definitely know that people would also like to stay in a certain radius or commute through roads coming in to these areas. Hence, it is no rocket science, but yes takes a political will and 5-10 year outlook which our successive govts seem to have lacked the foresight for.
Old 7th February 2023, 12:27   #20759
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorlover View Post
Harlur & Hosa road are used by most of the people coming in from Hosur road side beyond the Hosa road junction of Hosur Road (E-city included).
Is it? That sounds unbelievable. Prestige Ferns alone is ~1500 apartments. At a guess, Harlur Road between Iblur and Kudlu has maybe, 10-15K residential units. On the other hand - given that to access Harlur Road / Hosa Road you have to forego the option of taking the BETL, I doubt many would consider taking it to East Bangalore; opting for ORR instead (maybe this situation has changed with the metro construction).
Old 7th February 2023, 13:47   #20760
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive2eternity
Experienced this jam several times. Now if I have to cross this area, I do it before 8AM. The famous Iblur junction, with its marvelous design and the cascading effect can be seen every morning here.
Bangalore Traffic Police have opened up a new Traffic PS at Bellandur, and this junction falls under its jurisdiction. I won't envy the poor Traffic Police Inspector who has this headache every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharya
I used to live near Iblur junction in early 2000s and it was all bliss, hardly any traffic.
When Harlur road and Sarjapur road were seeing massive construction boom, I used to wonder where will the traffic go, with so many apartments/offices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorlover
Harlur & Hosa road are used by most of the people coming in from Hosur road side beyond the Hosa road junction of Hosur Road (E-city included).
In early 2000s, Outer Ring Road it self was kind of desolate stretch of road and people used to avoid it during the night. The fly over did not exist. At Iblur Jn, there used to be a few small shops, which also stocked some basic military uniform items. That was for the two detachment camps of CMP and ASC which operated in the area. There used to be an Artillery firing range between the back side of old Airport and upto Harlur. Then Sobha's apartments came in between, and very close to Iblur junction.

Sarjapura (it was not Sarjapur then) Road was a narrow two lane road, with private buses even taking few passengers on top of the bus. There was a wine shop/local bar at the junction where Haralur road joins Sarjapura Road. Wipro for some reason had their corporate HQ there. But other than that, the area had very less population, and even lesser commercial establishments.

In the 2004-2007 time period the BETL work was going on full swing, and Hosur Road had very big traffic blocks. Our company transport bus driver was smart enough to understand and use the Hosa Rd. Jn-Haralur Village-Sarjapura Road-Iblur route. Between Hosa Rd. Jn & Sarjapura Road, again there were only small villages like Haralur. There were lot of cases of mugging of two wheeler & four wheeler passengers. But then this route helped us reach our homes faster. Today that route is pretty much known to every one, and there are also many apartment complexes as well. But the road width is that of the village road of 2004-2007.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorlover
Regarding population density and apartments/ housing, it follows where there is work.
May be it is an unpalatable truth. Greed is what caused the whole mess in the ORR-Iblur-Sarajpura Road side. Outer Ring Road was meant to be a kind of highway using which Bangalore city can be byepassed. If you notice, the tech parks which came there are mostly 'developed' by private builders (who naturally will also have political backing). The land owners also fell to greed and were willing to give away lands. The 'private builders' again greedy 'developed' the place in such a manner so that they get the maximum money out of it. This was a situation explained by a Malayalam proverb - "trees are from the forest, elephant is from the local temple; what is there to worry? Get the maximum benefit, and nobody cares". So no proper planning, management of excess water. The BDA may be too slow in completing layouts. But once they do it, these layouts have their basics right. No flooding, plus they also have some good greenery and wide roads. Even KEONICS electronics city was planned in a good fashion (though originally for electronics industry).
sachinpk is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks