Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2023, 13:54   #20911
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Off-topic.
Why that stretch is called 'Varthur Rd' is baffling to me
Varthur is 16 KMs far away towards South-East of that stretch, requires to change multiple roads to reach Varthur from that stretch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
*Varthur road is the one from the signal on Old Madras road where the erstwhile Big Bazaar was and now has the Analog Devices office I think.
Old 16th May 2023, 14:19   #20912
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redCherry View Post
Off-topic.
Varthur is 16 KMs far away towards South-East of that stretch, requires to change multiple roads to reach Varthur from that stretch
It always confuses me! My best guess is that the erstwhile route to Varthur from Old Madras road was via Kaggadaspura-Basava nagar/ADA-HAL quarters-Old airport Road-Varthur?
Old 16th May 2023, 16:02   #20913
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
My best guess is that the erstwhile route to Varthur from Old Madras road was via Kaggadaspura-Basava nagar/ADA-HAL quarters-Old airport Road-Varthur?
Funnily enough, the Old Airport Road beyond a point is known better as Varthur Road. So this theory could be right - the old Varthur Road broke off from Old Madras Road and went to Varthur via Kaggadasapura-Marathahalli, and the old Old Airport Road (then simply Airport Road) started at ASC junction and merged with the old Varthur Road maybe at the HAL museum.
Old 17th May 2023, 09:14   #20914
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
Anybody notice that ever since our dear PM traveled via Suranjan Das Road (C V Raman Nagar) for election campaigning (around 6-7 May), the BEML Gate traffic signal has not been functioning .
I just posted this yesterday.

Looks like Bangalore Traffic Police reads this thread
BEML Gate junction signal was working last evening .
srvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2023, 10:04   #20915
BHPian

Quote:
Off-topic.
Varthur is 16 KMs far away towards South-East of that stretch
Like how Mahadevpura Constituency includes the entire area around Mahadevpura, Hoodi, Whitefield, Varthur, Marathalli, Panathur Kadubeesanahalli, Bellandur etc.. until 2008 Varthur included the entire area starting from that road towards DRDO, Kagadassapura, KR Puram including both sides of the railway station and then the entire Mahadevapura area.

In 2008 it was split and merged with some other areas into CV Raman Nagar, KR Puram and Mahadevapura Constituencies.

So may be the road refers to the old area Varthur than just the current small part of it..
anandhsub is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2023, 10:11   #20916
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV
My best guess is that the erstwhile route to Varthur from Old Madras road was via Kaggadaspura-Basava nagar/ADA-HAL quarters-Old airport Road-Varthur?
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand
So this theory could be right - the old Varthur Road broke off from Old Madras Road and went to Varthur via Kaggadasapura-Marathahalli, and the old Old Airport Road (then simply Airport Road) started at ASC junction and merged with the old Varthur Road maybe at the HAL museum
Considering the size and nature of Varthur, I feel this place was kind of important even before Bangalore became such a big city. Varthur still has its weekly market etc. I used stay in Kaggadasapura/Vignan Nagar areas in the 2005-2008 time frame. From what I remember; Kaggadasapura as a place existed even then. There was also the road which comes from Old Madras Road and at some point also crossed the Hosur-Bangalore single railway line (at the Kaggadasapura LC Gate). In this area, there was one Abbaiah Reddy layout which were farm lands earlier. Vignan Nagar and Basava Nagar came up later in year 2003 time frame. There was no Vignan Nagar bus stand. The road from BEML towards Vignan Nagar was patchy till the village of GM Palya, after that it was a mud track till what is today's Vignan Nagar bus stand. There used to be a mud track or road which then went further towards what was is today's Basava Nagar. Again this too was a village behind the HAL Helicopter division. There was an empty open ground in that area which later become Basava Nagar bus stand.

How did the road from Kaggadasapura go towards Varthur is still confusing to me. Because the Abbaiah Reddy-Basava Nagar-HAL Airport road was a big mess at least till 2002-2003. Marathahalli was also a village till 2000. A place which first started getting noticed after a few big garments outlets started their shops there. There was a smaller road which followed the same alignment of the ring road, and this could be used to go from Marathahalli towards KR Puram or to the Sarjapur Road intersection near Ibbalur.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2023, 12:29   #20917
BHPian

Quote:
Assuming this is the Bagmane tech park at C V Raman Nagar.

<snipped>

*Varthur road is the one from the signal on Old Madras road where the erstwhile Big Bazaar was and now has the Analog Devices office I think.
Thanks NPV!

This is actually the Bagmane Technology Park or Center in Mahadevapura. Yesterday (Tuesday) was pretty decent in the morning - usual foul player being Ramamurthy Nagar and KR Puram. ORR is decent. Return is also not bad around 7:45 - took me 45-50 mins to reach home.
This morning (Wednesday) Ramamurthy Nagar is again about 5 mins delay and while it is not a stopped traffic in KR Puram, it was slow moving from the down ramp until after the hanging bridge. Post that, ORR is ~40 kmph traffic. Hopefully it stays the same in the evening too.
Old 21st May 2023, 19:48   #20918
Senior - BHPian

Sorry state of affairs after one bout of downpour post noon
https://www.deccanherald.com/amp/cit...n-1220743.html

Keeping the blame game aside as to why the underpasses get flooded; a road user ends up taking an underpass despite the overwhelming suspicion that it might be inundated, since there is no option to abort that move mid way! Unless a route is planned to painstakingly avoid underpasses, it is highly unlikely one can just drive around one. The traffic crawl inevitably leads to these unlit, dingy very cramped underpasses and there is no way to turn back! I have found myself (on previous occasions) inching my way into same much to my disgust.

Can't there be a hard barricade well before such precarious underpasses so that traffic does not get stuck at its mouth (worse plunge right into it)? Given that the average urban user is not used to fording streams in his Defender with adjustable suspension, the driver should not be made to 'judge' if an underpass is traversable or not. Perhaps we need a warning system like danger levels in a dam
Old 21st May 2023, 20:16   #20919
BHPian

Horrible traffic snarl on Mehkri circle today. The cops mentioned that a tree had fallen and everything was chaos.

Felt sorry to see the cops trying to manage the crazy traffic. Braving the rains, they were trying to clear the fallen trees. Some of them were bare footed !! Wondered why, but think they were trying to prevent the shoes from getting damaged? Seriously dangerous to walk on the water logged roads barefoot.

Kudos to the traffic cops

Last edited by AltoLXI : 21st May 2023 at 20:17.
AltoLXI is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2023, 12:00   #20920
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI
Felt sorry to see the cops trying to manage the crazy traffic. Braving the rains, they were trying to clear the fallen trees. Some of them were bare footed !! Wondered why, but think they were trying to prevent the shoes from getting damaged? Seriously dangerous to walk on the water logged roads barefoot.
Actually Bangalore Traffic Police is taking up lot of work which should have been done by civic authorities - mainly BBMP, BESCOM etc. It is BBMP's job to ensure that water logging does not happen. BESCOM and BBMP also should periodically check to see if there are trees which are weak and can collapse onto the road or power cables. They can then give notice to property owners to get these trees cut down. The water supply and sewage board (BWSSB) need to maintain the sewages, pipe lines and the Raja kaluves etc. But none of these agencies do any great work on these aspects.

Police and traffic police ultimately becomes the victim as they are the most visible "arm of the government". They have to help the common citizens reach home, and most often gets cursed even when they try to do some good. No well educated citizen of Bangalore dares to give unsolicited advise to a BBMP engineer or a surgeon on how he has to do a job. But every one has truck loads of free advices to be given to the police.

The police men removes their leather shoes as other wise it will get damaged when submerged under water. Same goes for socks as well. Some kind of cost saving by them. The constables and ASIs generally work in a two shift pattern, but Sub Inspectors and above generally don't work that way. SI and PIs start their duty at around 8 to 8:30AM every day, and if there are issues like rains then they just stay put at work till 10:00PM or 11:00PM, till the situation is normalised.
sachinpk is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2023, 12:22   #20921
BHPian

Surprisingly normal traffic on ORR today from HSR.
In fact, did not have to stop anywhere from HSR while joining the ORR.

Off topic: All the metro pillars seem to be devoid of any workers or folks. The pillars are desolate!
Change of guard? I hope there is no delay added.
Old 22nd May 2023, 12:32   #20922
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post

Off topic: All the metro pillars seem to be devoid of any workers or folks. The pillars are desolate!
Change of guard? I hope there is no delay added.
Work is going in marathahalli side. The silkboard to iblur stretch has been very slow compared to the marathahalli side. I think afcons (one of the contractors) is slower than SNC..
Wait till station constructions start.. That will create all sorts of bottlenecks
Old 22nd May 2023, 13:30   #20923
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Actually Bangalore Traffic Police is taking up lot of work which should have been done by civic authorities - mainly BBMP, BESCOM etc.
Two of the cops got appreciation letters for their hard work yesterday. I wish others also get a pat on the back as well.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-one.jpg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-two.jpg
AltoLXI is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2023, 16:11   #20924
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
All the metro pillars seem to be devoid of any workers or folks.
Could be due to this? BMRCL is a corporation that meets the definition here?

https://www.livemint.com/news/india/...815699661.html
Old 23rd May 2023, 16:35   #20925
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Could be due to this? BMRCL is a corporation that meets the definition here?

https://www.livemint.com/news/india/...815699661.html
Not related to the works of BMRCL I feel but rather all the PWD and smaller projects. Just a shake up of all the contactors so that they visit the 'new' bosses and pay their respects to get the funds released. Business will be back to normal in a few days after the stakeholders discuss the new rules that has to be followed under the table. The previous government also had halted many white topping projects alleging corruption and then it was resumed. Same tricks, new jokers.

I see regular work on Silk Board to Marathahalli stretch. I believe the stretch after Tim factory to Hebbal handled by NCC came under pressure and fines due to the tragedy that happened few weeks ago.

Last edited by audioholic : 23rd May 2023 at 16:38.
audioholic is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks