Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2023, 23:17   #20926
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Hailstorm in Koramangala an hour back. First time experenced this in the city. Several icicles in my balcony.

Last year had seen it while passing through Hubli-Dharwad Bypass.
Old 24th May 2023, 08:49   #20927
Distinguished - BHPian

Truth is indeed stranger than fiction when it comes to BLR traffic management! I don't even want to think what will happen if they (even temporarily) close the Cauvery Theatre one.

Bengaluru: Two CBD underpasses deemed dangerous, one of them closed.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/.../100460615.cms
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2023, 08:14   #20928
Senior - BHPian

Any info on the functioning of the 2 underpasses on the BEL road or the outer Ring road from Hebbal to get to Tumkur Road? I am scheduled to take the road tomorrow morning around 4.30 am to get out of Bangalore from Yelahanka or should I take the CV Raman road to get to Tumkur Road?

Off late I have been seeing a lot of heavy vehicle traffic on the BEL road esp on the Railway bridge section even at 4 am in the mornings.
Old 25th May 2023, 08:37   #20929
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Any info on the functioning of the 2 underpasses on the BEL road or the outer Ring road from Hebbal to get to Tumkur Road? I am scheduled to take the road tomorrow morning around 4.30 am to get out of Bangalore from Yelahanka or should I take the CV Raman road to get to Tumkur Road?

Off late I have been seeing a lot of heavy vehicle traffic on the BEL road esp on the Railway bridge section even at 4 am in the mornings.
I would suggest CV Raman road. At 4:30am, you won't lose much time and the roads are in good shape.
androdev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2023, 11:23   #20930
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
I would suggest CV Raman road. At 4:30am, you won't lose much time and the roads are in good shape.
This used to be my go to road but with a couple of instances where the road was blocked at BHEL circle, I started taking the Outer ring road. It is pretty fast except for that stretch of the Railway bridge
Old 25th May 2023, 13:12   #20931
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
This used to be my go to road but with a couple of instances where the road was blocked at BHEL circle, I started taking the Outer ring road. It is pretty fast except for that stretch of the Railway bridge
If you're taking ORR from Hebbal side, you could skip the whole ROB stretch by getting into HMT township from BEL Cirle, take HMT Main Rd to join Tumkur Rd (city-bound) next to Peenya Metro station, and immediate U-turn at Gorguntepalya signal to switch to Tumkur-bound side.

HMT Rd is pretty empty late in the night, I use it regularly. ORR from Hebbal to Tumkur Rd does have heavy truck traffic most days.

If it's raining, it's best you take CV Raman Rd. I came through there coming from the airport during heavy rains Tuesday night, no blockages anywhere until I joined ORR again to go towards Mysore Rd.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-screenshot_202305251315162.png

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 25th May 2023 at 13:25.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th May 2023, 09:25   #20932
Distinguished - BHPian

Have to attend a grahapravesha in a couple of weeks in the morning clear across town, and also have to make it to the office after.

Thanks to the Metro, this will be possible without stress, since the house-warming is walking distance from a Metro station. As is my office. Still need to reach the metro station from home and find parking there, but without the Metro, this would have been unthinkable. Driving 23km across Bangalore on a working day and then 15km back to the city center. Now it's going to be an enjoyable breakfast with old friends and will still make it to work on time!

Waiting for the Metro to expand its reach even more this year and in the coming years!

Last edited by am1m : 26th May 2023 at 09:35.
am1m is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th May 2023, 10:09   #20933
BHPian

Is it only me who feels the people drive more pathetically on Tumkur Highway than all other highways around Bangalore(Hosur, Hassan, Chikballapur). Had to travel to Chikkanayakanahalli yesterday while going I took the Bangalore->Tumkur->Gubbi route and my god it felt like I was driving in a tamer version of Mad Max fury road environment, every single person was driving like it is my dad's road so better move. There was this guy who stuck behind a truck and I was on the right lane right next to him he cooly turned on the right turn indicator and started merging into my lane despite me honking repeatedly eventually I slowed down to let him go and realised he was on earphones not giving a damn about looking into blindspots and rearview mirrors.

While returning took the Chikkanayakanahalli-> Yadiyur-> Hassan Highway -> Bangalore and there was a sea change in the driving, people were more sedate giving way to faster moving vehicles of course situation changed after Nelamangala but it was much more relaxing to drive in the Hassan highway
Old 26th May 2023, 10:43   #20934
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puntra800 View Post
Is it only me who feels the people drive more pathetically on Tumkur Highway than all other highways around Bangalore(Hosur, Hassan, Chikballapur).
You have missed Mysore road!

I feel it is always like this when you exit the city and enter the city. While exiting it is the joy that overpowers the common sense and while entering it is the tiredness and frustration of entering the city makes people forget common sense!
Oppanna is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th May 2023, 10:43   #20935
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post

Thanks to the Metro, this will be possible without stress...
'Where's the nearest Metro?' has become a fun little G-Maps game every time we venture out nowadays. It was also a major factor (other one was proximity to medical facilities) in selecting a home for my parents who moved to Bangalore recently. Ma has taken to the Metro like a happy fish, and has become quite the social butterfly with easy access to old friends and extended family (I have to now call ahead to ask if she's home, before visiting), compared to our previous tier-2 hometown where she was dependent on Dad or cabs to drive her around. More power to her.

Spouse & I have found ourselves increasingly inclined to go to Metro-close-by options for everything, compared to those needing a drive. It's just so much more convenient and predictable. I'm loving NOT having to answer 'When will you get here?' with 'Eventually!'.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 26th May 2023 at 10:45.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2023, 10:57   #20936
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oppanna View Post
You have missed Mysore road!

I feel it is always like this when you exit the city and enter the city. While exiting it is the joy that overpowers the common sense and while entering it is the tiredness and frustration of entering the city makes people forget common sense!
Mysore road is perfect example for how not to plan an expressway and also a lesson as to why people don't deserve expressways until they learn to follow traffic rules.
Old 26th May 2023, 15:04   #20937
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
'Where's the nearest Metro?' has become a fun little G-Maps game every time we venture out nowadays. It was also a major factor (other one was proximity to medical facilities) in selecting a home for my parents who moved to Bangalore recently. Ma has taken to the Metro like a happy fish, and has become quite the social butterfly with easy access to old friends and extended family (I have to now call ahead to ask if she's home, before visiting), compared to our previous tier-2 hometown where she was dependent on Dad or cabs to drive her around. More power to her.

Spouse & I have found ourselves increasingly inclined to go to Metro-close-by options for everything, compared to those needing a drive. It's just so much more convenient and predictable. I'm loving NOT having to answer 'When will you get here?' with 'Eventually!'.
Absolutely, I think Blore's metro network is shaping up beautifully. True, it involves a few years of traffic inconvenience during construction, but then I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Metro works of all lines in Blore have happened at good speed especially in the last 3-4 years.
Old 26th May 2023, 16:05   #20938
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post

Ditto. Two family members visiting from other cities were suggested by us to take the metro to KSR station for their return trains. Both opted for Ola cabs and both nearly missed their trains (one caught it 2 mins before departure). Both of my parents have become fans of the metro opting to use it whenever they are in town; ironically they hardly ever use the Chennai metro back at home.

I'm really looking forward to the days when the rest of the lines start getting active. Even if we are talking about the next decade.
Old 26th May 2023, 16:23   #20939
BHPian

Is it just me and have the bangalore auto drivers become more brazen in breaking every road rule possible of late? They just seem to have reached a different level nowadays when it comes to driving in wrong direction, not caring about one ways etc..

Case in point, see video where a auto driver decided he will just cut across ORR against traffic just because the median was open due to metro work. It is not that he was traveling in main carriageway and decided to turn.. he was on the opposite side service road and decided to cut across the entire length of main carriage way because, I guess he can.

I could have easily got into trouble because the bus blocked him but luckily the auto in front of me slowed down and I had to slam the brakes.

Last edited by etrast75 : 26th May 2023 at 16:26.
etrast75 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2023, 10:12   #20940
BHPian

I came back from spending one month at native.

For the past week, the drive from Sarjapura till Garudcharpalaya has been uncharcticastically smooth. There are almost no potholes door to door. It is a huge departure from only a couple of months back where the whole drive used to be mired with bumpiness and dust.

I am able to do 24 km one way in < 1 hour which is an absolute achievement in Bangalore. It reminds of NCR where I used to do this in 35-40 mins.

With school summer vacation getting over and onset of Monsoons, I don't see my happiness lasting for long. Still, I would take it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks