Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2023, 10:31   #20941
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by atnyia View Post
I came back from spending one month at native.

For the past week, the drive from Sarjapura till Garudcharpalaya has been uncharcticastically smooth. There are almost no potholes door to door. It is a huge departure from only a couple of months back where the whole drive used to be mired with bumpiness and dust.

I am able to do 24 km one way in < 1 hour which is an absolute achievement in Bangalore. It reminds of NCR where I used to do this in 35-40 mins.

With school summer vacation getting over and onset of Monsoons, I don't see my happiness lasting for long. Still, I would take it.

There is lot of effort being put by traffic police to smoothen the flow of traffic. I'm seeing new experiments every day on the ORR and some are working well whereas others aren't. Right now the only bottleneck is the metro barricade put up for ecospace metro station which is affecting flow of traffic till Ecospace and after that it's pretty smooth.

Another experiment that's not working is they are trying to allow a right turn on top of Marathahalli underpass for people coming from ORR to go towards Kundanahalli gate. This is to reduce bottleneck near that median gap near Yemalur junction. That isn't working so good and is causing a huge hold up for people coming to Marathahalli from Spice garden.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2023, 08:47   #20942
Senior - BHPian

Those who are used to taking the Wind Tunnel Road > Bellandur Lake Road to reach ORR from OAR should note that police have stopped all vehicle movement at Bellandur bridge indefinitely due to a sewage pipeline failure. Vehicles are being redirected towards Devarabisanahalli via the absolutely unmotorable dirt road that branches off after Yemalur bridge. Avoid if you can, or bring out your SUVs / tractors / JCBs.

https://twitter.com/bellandurutrfps/...77642790461440
https://twitter.com/halairporttrfps/...50063446507522
binand is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 30th May 2023, 15:09   #20943
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Those who are used to taking the Wind Tunnel Road > Bellandur Lake Road to reach ORR from OAR should note that police have stopped all vehicle movement at Bellandur bridge indefinitely due to a sewage pipeline failure. Vehicles are being redirected towards Devarabisanahalli via the absolutely unmotorable dirt road that branches off after Yemalur bridge. Avoid if you can, or bring out your SUVs / tractors / JCBs.

There was a cascade effect on this on the Kundalahalli side as well. Took almost an hour to cross over from kundalahalli to Yamalur junction..

With rains around the corner, the return journey is already giving me jitters.
dass is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2023, 17:27   #20944
Distinguished - BHPian

Torrential downpour in the Cantonment area today afternoon followed by an enormous jam at the railway underpass. Usual reason being the numerous deeply civic-minded 2 wheelers (& their owners) parked there to avoid the rain.

My simple mantra - if you ride a 2-wheeler, be prepared with adequate raingear (or similar), else stay at home or take public transport. What really riled me up today was seeing the many ambulances wailing away with no effect. Again, there are zillions of hospitals and clinics in that general area + train travellers rushing to catch their trains.

Making the general population suffer so that one can stay dry is a criminal thing to do.

Also noted that Jayamahal Road leading to Mekhri Circle was a complete waterlogged mess due to the rainwater pouring out of Palace Grounds, coupled with the unfinished pipeline and roadworks on one side. I shudder to think of what is awaiting us when the real rains hit.
itwasntme is online now   (23) Thanks
Old 30th May 2023, 20:09   #20945
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Making the general population suffer so that one can stay dry is a criminal thing to do
I don't think it actually helps to avoid getting wet. A low intensity wind which often accommodates rain completely invalidates the "cover" for at least the ones parked near the edge of underpasses. It makes them as dry as pillion holding umbrella over the rider (yes that is a sight on BLR roads too).

I have seen this practice on NICE road also . Considering already poor visibility of that road, it is also dangerous and stupid to just leave one's life at the mercy of that truck.

We need cameras at these places, and insurance premium should get affected/ DL should get cancelled with repeat offence, only then perhaps they will learn.
Old 30th May 2023, 20:35   #20946
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Torrential downpour in the Cantonment area today afternoon followed by an enormous jam at the railway underpass. Usual reason being the numerous deeply civic-minded 2 wheelers (& their owners) parked there to avoid the rain.
This is criminal.

I can understand the guys trying to save themselves from getting wet. But why do they have to do the same for the vehicle? Police should take action if traffic is blocked because of this.
fordday is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2023, 13:44   #20947
BHPian

Yes, Police do take action by shoo-ing them away. But they come only after they get any complaints or are passing by. It's a habit in India to protect self at the cost of others.

Another example is Cars (even 2 wheelers) taking a U turn before the Roundabout. It hardly takes a minute or less to go around the roundabout, but some drivers block the road on both sides and take a U turn and sometimes burning more fuel. Waste of time for other drivers, as well as Fuel.
Old 1st June 2023, 17:13   #20948
Senior - BHPian

While I agree with the general sentiment towards authorities, rowdy auto/cab guys & 2-wheeled squids, I feel we as private car owners are equally responsible for traffic mess. Here’s just one example from last week when we had a useless jam on bettadasanapura road while entering Electronic city. Its an okay-ish two-way road which can easily accommodate both way traffic if lane is maintained. Had everyone simply maintained single lane, traffic movement would have been smooth but people are so impatient they create 2nd and 3rd lane in same direction eventually blocking oncoming traffic and creating bottlenecks.

And not just general public. The one I have pointed is a BHPian car, atleast had a legit sticker. It was sad to watch

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_1152.jpeg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
Metro works of all lines in Blore have happened at good speed especially in the last 3-4 years.
Except for bannerghata road metro IMO. I purchased a flat in 2011 when builder was marketing ‘upcoming metro on Bannerghata road’. Cut to 2023, I was looking for another flat recently in the area and builders were marketing the same line ‘upcoming metro on bannerghata road’. Was a deja-vu moment

Dunno when I would be able to see the metro operational here. That would be a great relief for people in this area going towards anywhere in the city.

Last edited by SoumenD : 1st June 2023 at 17:36.
SoumenD is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2023, 02:09   #20949
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I took the dirt road today and found it to be very much motorable. I was on my scooter, returning tonight and it had started raining. Taking this dirt road would have saved 20-25 mins in the rain. I made a gamble and it paid off well.

Apart from uneven ground and few patches of mild slush, it was good. Maybe the lack of rains and a sunny weather in the past 2 days has helped dry it up. I have been seeing all kinds of cars go through this stretch in the past 3 days. So even with rains, the risk should be a mud splattered car but no other damage. Can be an option for commuters if the other alternatives are too crowded.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2023, 07:17   #20950
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Except for bannerghata road metro IMO.
Dunno when I would be able to see the metro operational here. That would be a great relief for people in this area going towards anywhere in the city.
There has been fair progress post Covid on this Metro. The earlier Contractor Simplex for the stretch of Gottigere to Dairy Circle had turned bankrupt and had halted work for over 1.5 years during Covid. The BMRCL floated a new tender to complete this stretch and the new contractor JR Infra is working at a pretty good pace. The Stretch from Dairy circle to Nagawara which is fully underground is progressing with 20 out of 26 breakouts of tunnel stretches done (numbers to be confirmed)
But yes, the overall progress (due to bankruptcy and Covid) is slower and the metro should have been completed in 2022-23. Considering work started in 2018.
Their revised deadline is mid 2025, which in my view is possible if the current pace is maintained.
hrman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2023, 08:39   #20951
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Avoid if you can, or bring out your SUVs / tractors / JCBs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
I took the dirt road today and found it to be very much motorable.
That statement had a bit of hyperbole baked in. :-) I've been living in Yemalur for a decade+ now, and have commuted via this dirt road for several years (my office was in the Indiqube building at the top of Kadubisanahalli underpass) in all 4 cars + 2 scooters that I have possessed during this period. This includes my Civic, notorious for its hyper-low GC.

Main problems are two: (a) with rain the road becomes a slushpool; road grip goes to zero and tyres tend to slide rather than roll (I've seen many people struggling to control for this), and (b) it is barely one vehicle wide, so pileups can build very quickly. The borewell in the middle that attracts rowdy tankers doesn't help either.

Also the far ends (where it meets ORR - Kadubisanahalli and Devarabisanahalli) can be messy; taking at times upto 30 minutes to merge.
binand is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2023, 17:48   #20952
Distinguished - BHPian

While entering Bangalore today, realized that the Cauvery Underpass has been shut. The fallout of the tragic incident during last week's rains. (https://www.timesnownews.com/bengalu...icle-100461284; someone has already posted this news earlier).

Thing is, it was bone-dry at the time. The incident was certainly a tragic one, and underpass design needs to be corrected, or more drainage provided, but what is the point of closing an underpass at random, even when it's not raining, without doing anything to fix it?

Since it was early Sunday morning, it was manageable. Wondering what the scene is going to be in heavy traffic if underpasses are going to be shut at random.

Last edited by am1m : 4th June 2023 at 17:50.
Old 5th June 2023, 10:23   #20953
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
While entering Bangalore today, realized that the Cauvery Underpass has been shut. The fallout of the tragic incident during last week's rains.
This particular one has been intermittently shut for some time now to smoothen the traffic flow on the Bellary Road. BTP had also tweeted about it but I'm unable to locate the same.
Old 11th June 2023, 07:55   #20954
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Is ADA Rangamandira located on the same side or opposite (as per gmaps) side of the Ravindra Kalakshetra?
In other words if I take JC road from the Lalbagh side will the ADA Rangamandira be on the left ?

Gmaps is suggesting the route via Mission road and Lalbagh road and then making a right turn to reach JC Road beside Ravindra Kalakshetra, is this fine ?

https://maps.app.goo.gl/7nCx8bLWxh3QJXTF7

Last edited by NPV : 11th June 2023 at 07:57.
Old 11th June 2023, 08:10   #20955
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Is ADA Rangamandira located on the same side or opposite (as per gmaps) side of the Ravindra Kalakshetra?
In other words if I take JC road from the Lalbagh side will the ADA Rangamandira be on the left ?

Gmaps is suggesting the route via Mission road and Lalbagh road and then making a right turn to reach JC Road beside Ravindra Kalakshetra, is this fine ?

https://maps.app.goo.gl/7nCx8bLWxh3QJXTF7
It is on the opposite side of Ravindra Kalakshetra. So what route gmaps is suggesting is the correct one. Take right on Lalbagh road (which leads to jain college) and join JC road by taking right at the signal, then stay on left side.
If you miss the right on lalbagh road, the next option would be to go to lalbagh main gate-right turn at the island- Minerva circle and take right to proceed to JC road.
sandsun7 is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed