Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2023, 16:08   #21256
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Most posts in this thread are related to traffic in Eastern part of the city or ORR.
I'm curious to know if old parts of the city, CBD, Jayanagar, Malleshwaram, Rajajinagar etc also have such bad pile ups and jams? If so, why do we not hear rants about those places? Include western arm of ORR as well to the above list.
Old 1st October 2023, 16:40   #21257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideView View Post
Heavy traffic/block from Attibelle towards chandapura and also from chandapura until the jain temple section neraluru also at attibelle circle.

Avoid if possible.
I was bang in it without a choice as I was travelling from Hosur to Hebbal. I ended up on the service lane and took a detour through Attibele Industrial Area, went into Bandapura village, cut across some deserted roads to reach Chandapura-Anekal road and back on to the Hosur highway.

A total distance of 43 kms took 2.5 hours. It was the same two days ago when I was on the journey in reverse, but there was no jam, only heavy traffic.

The city is woefully short on public transport, and also has the income potential for a majority to own cars, which become a necessity when there's no last mile connectivity to accessible and comfortable public transport aka the Metro.

Even though I'm on one of the busiest highways, the nearest Metro is 10 kms away. My son studies in a college in the heart of town and the nearest Metro for him is 4km from the college. On a good day, he takes 1.5 hours to travel the distance of 15 km, which includes a km walk from home for the bus and another 0.5km-1.5km walk to college, one-way.

He will be adding to the traffic scenario this month on.
Old 2nd October 2023, 10:18   #21258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabsubs View Post
It is not possible to ease the traffic just by constructing flyovers & metro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Even the best Metro system in the world will not miraculously empty the roads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvatron View Post
even with fully functional metro along few routes, the traffic is still the same on these routes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
completion of the metro is not a magic bullet to solve the traffic issues of Bangalore.
The sentiment expressed in the quoted posts above are oft-repeated here and elsewhere. One point that is not adequately (in my opinion) stressed in such discussions is that the Metro does not operate in a vacuum. Even with the Metro in place, last-mile connectivity via focused feeder services by BMTC/shuttle vans, autos/taxis, even share autos like seen elsewhere are all pieces that are required to complete this jigsaw puzzle. Once these supply-side issues are sorted out demand-side interventions like bus lanes/BRTS, congestion tax/fees, HOV lanes, coherent parking policy etc. all need to work in tandem to decongest the city. In Bangalore what I notice is that there is high arbitrariness/whimsicality/oneupmanship in conceiving and executing such measures (case in point is the bus lane on ORR, which had to be dismantled within months of commissioning because of Metro construction starting. Who will be answerable for the wastage of public money here?).

Right now traffic/congestion management in Bangalore is an orphan - BTP tries their best, but with just about 2500 officers they are the umbrella to stop us from getting wet in the cyclone.
binand is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2023, 11:50   #21259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
Most posts in this thread are related to traffic in Eastern part of the city or ORR.
I'm curious to know if old parts of the city, CBD, Jayanagar, Malleshwaram, Rajajinagar etc also have such bad pile ups and jams? If so, why do we not hear rants about those places? Include western arm of ORR as well to the above list.
There is, slow moving traffic in the (Bellary road) HighGrounds-Hebbal stretch, (Tumkur road) Mekhri-Gorguntepalya stretch.
At peak hours, the traffic crawls but usually does pile up - unless there is a breakdown or the rain Gods start smiling.
As someone who goes infrequently on the ORR stretch, I felt the traffic is a bit more 'wilder'. Every intersection has vehicles coming from 10 different directions and trying their best to get across to the other side! The road extent simply not being able to contain the volume of vehicles especially near the Nagawara stretch and near the ecospace stretch, the metro construction only aggravating an already bad situation.

Another factor could be that the East side folks commuting to tech parks in ORR/E-city are probably more active in online forums and have an outsize voice compared to the rest of the (similarly) affected citizenry in Bengaluru.
whitewing is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2023, 12:57   #21260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
I'm curious to know if old parts of the city, CBD, Jayanagar, Malleshwaram, Rajajinagar etc also have such bad pile ups and jams?
On a "normal day" I would say Whitefield and ORR have faster moving traffic than these older parts of the city.

However there are 3 main things that differentiate the flow of traffic.

1) When roads are already narrow, expectations are set right and there is no jostling for space unlike in ORR.

2) Traffic signals which ensure there is free movement at intersections unlike in Whitefield/ ORR where it is always fighting for right of way. Also it is much better to go at 25-30Kmph for 3-5 mins and then stop for 3-5 mins at a signal than to crawl the entire stretch at 10-15 kmph.

3) Older parts have a defined peak hour while traffic is 24x7 on Whitefield and ORR. This guess is due to the presence of tech parks which function 24x7 and more importantly because trucks are allowed in the afternoon in ORR and Whitefield while they are banned ( and quite strictly enforced) within the city. Hopefully STRR should take some load off ORR shortly.

Last edited by anandhsub : 2nd October 2023 at 12:59. Reason: missed a point
anandhsub is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2023, 14:19   #21261
BHPian

How I wish that the governments of the day have the foresight to plan better.
Perhaps the various IT Parks on the ORR should have been developed in a cluster space with no residential units in the zone, and around a buffer zone for future growth. Something similar to the 10,000acre ITIR around Devanahalli. And once this is done, do not give clearance to any other mass-employer that might result in unmanageable traffic situations. Considering the news and developments around Yelahanka I dread that we will end up in mirroring the ORR situation. Wish the govt should have insisted on full occupancy on the existing earmarked spaces before approving newer capacity additions across any large spaces that the developers are able to carve out within or in close proximity to residential spaces.
Old 2nd October 2023, 17:35   #21262
BHPian

As expected Bengaluru traffic and event in general gave 13mins of content to Trevor Noah
masin4 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2023, 17:44   #21263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by masin4 View Post
As expected Bengaluru traffic and event in general gave 13mins of content to Trevor Noah
The whole world is now aware of the situation in Bangalore!

Highest traffic in the world = Bangalore award will be coming soon!

Not very far from now
nova.19_exe is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2023, 18:07   #21264
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
...the Metro does not operate in a vacuum. Even with the Metro in place, last-mile connectivity via focused feeder services by BMTC/shuttle vans, autos/taxis, even share autos like seen elsewhere are all pieces that are required to complete this jigsaw puzzle.
Absolutely. And BMRCL/BMTC are not at all concerned about last-mile connectivity right now, unfortunately. But I think what happens when a Metro line does come up is various private systems do develop, some jugaad, some official, that will start filling in the gaps. Shorter auto rides will start making economic sense for drivers, sharing mini-buses will start to make sense. Given the population densities, enough people will somehow find a way to make the Metro work for their needs. Enough lines need to get operational first though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haque View Post
Perhaps the various IT Parks on the ORR should have been developed in a cluster space with no residential units in the zone, and around a buffer zone for future growth.
If the system had that much foresight and regulation built in to it, none of this would have happened! But as it stands, lake beds and catchment areas are being used to put up IT parks and apartment complexes. The builders who put up these complexes, the government officials who sanction them, and the IT companies who get tax breaks for operating out of them all make their money. It's the employees who wonder why they have to wade through flood-waters to get to work and back home again each time it rains heavily. (Of course, we make our handsome salaries too, and can afford to 'upgrade' to an SUV (to deal with the flooding, you see) with the next increment, so it's all worth it! )

Last edited by am1m : 2nd October 2023 at 18:11.
am1m is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 17:55   #21265

There is an old adage that says something like - I do not consider a society as developed when the poor have cars, rather where the rich use public transport. I do not recall who has said this, but I resonate with this too strongly.

Whether we like it or not, we are stuck in B'lore [IT pays and the most IT jobs are in B'lore]. But to say B'lore is the only sore sight amongst all the Indian cities is far from truth.

* Delhi-NCR is nearly unliveable from Oct-Mar due to pollution
* Pune does not have alternative routes that make sense [ex. Kothrud to Ruby Hall to KP]

So and so forth ...

We all can enumerate one thing or the other that could be wrong with the city we live in, but live in we must, for the hunger is stomach is a strong driving force.

TL/DR - A philosophical post that does not add anything new to the thread, but helps me vent some frustration about BLR traffic.
Old 3rd October 2023, 20:15   #21266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vss2110 View Post
But to say B'lore is the only sore sight amongst all the Indian cities is far from truth.
I disagree. I have lived for very long (10-25 years) in Mumbai, Pune, Thane, Blore, and for briefly (3 years) in Noida. Blore is the worst of these, except for climate where it is the best (it's God given, so politicians couldn't ruin it). A lot of things in Blore are simply inexcusable for a state capital. The ugly overhead power cables and ugly RCC streetlamp poles, the shoddy drain slab based footpaths, thoroughly useless roads that remain useless even after monsoons get over, etc make it look like a Tier 4 mofussil town. Rubbish indeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vss2110 View Post
* Delhi-NCR is nearly unliveable from Oct-Mar due to pollution
* Pune does not have alternative routes that make sense [ex. Kothrud to Ruby Hall to KP]
Again I disagree. I live in Noida for past 3 years. The Dec-Mar period sees fog, with some bit of agri-burning-based pollution. But it's mostly winter fog (which happens even in north America and Europe, basically cold climes), and people make more of it than what it really is, in terms of discomfort effects.

BTW, Pune now has metro from Kothrud to Ruby Hall, and soon to KP and beyond in 3-6 months.

Blore Metro construction also going on very fast, and will be a great help.

Last edited by vharihar : 3rd October 2023 at 20:17.
Old 3rd October 2023, 23:01   #21267
BHPian

Disciplined driving ! What disciplined driving ?

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_20231003_225742.jpg

What I feel is that, most of the traffic problems (all over India) are created by impatient, stupid and arrogant drivers who just can wait or let others go.

I am not taking side of the incompetent authorities or infrastructure. They too are culprits, but the road users are equally responsible.

Last edited by Asish_VK : 3rd October 2023 at 23:04.
Asish_VK is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th October 2023, 10:37   #21268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asish_VK View Post
Disciplined driving ! What disciplined driving ?

Attachment 2511753

What I feel is that, most of the traffic problems (all over India) are created by impatient, stupid and arrogant drivers who just can wait or let others go.

I am not taking side of the incompetent authorities or infrastructure. They too are culprits, but the road users are equally responsible.
True that, My rant on Bangalore drivers never stop(Being very well aware of the fact that I am also one among them and somebody might be ranting about me as well). So I was in Chikmagalur over the weekend and managed to get stuck in a super jam on the road to Mullayangiri.
For people not aware, it is a very narrow road and when 2 minibuses come across forget getting out of the mess at least for 45 minutes. I happened to be in one of the minibuses and being aware me along with my cousins were trying to clear up the way so that the larger vehicles can get across.
We Bangalore drivers make sure our mark is left where ever we go, while I was trying to clear up the traffic in the front, there is this guy KA41 registration like a hero comes in the opposite lane blocking the path, the other vehicles are not allowing him to squeeze in to the correct lane and the drama continued. I was witness to the whole incident and then politely requested him can you please back up so that the bus can move forward and clear the jam, he responded saying he came correctly only, the other guys are not letting him get back the correct lane . He refused to budge and the traffic got blocked for quite sometime. After sometime he did give up and reversed but not before using sweet words in Kannada which I had to give back in kind.
In all this drama, two wheeler drivers were like why should all the big vehicles have fun and joined the party. First one guy came, following him many others came eventually blocking the way again and in middle of all this the cacophony of the horns added the required BGM. Most of these 2 wheelers were registered in RTOs in Bangalore.

The whole jam scenario could have been avoided had the drivers
1. Been patient to let the other vehicle go
2. Followed basic lane discipline
3. Not being over smart

I believe its high time we make the DL tests very stringent and introduce huge fines for traffic violations, else its going to get really bad. Already the number of hypertension related cases in hospitals are increasing
puntra800 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th October 2023, 14:26   #21269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand
Right now traffic/congestion management in Bangalore is an orphan - BTP tries their best, but with just about 2500 officers they are the umbrella to stop us from getting wet in the cyclone.
It is the curse of the police that they are the first targets for any matter related to the government. That is because they are actually seen on the ground. Traffic Management & Planning is a different ball game, and requires special training. Cities like Mumbai had police officials like PS Pasricha. He was an IPS officer and also expert in traffic management. The police is best suited to implement the laws & policies, but not make them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haque
Perhaps the various IT Parks on the ORR should have been developed in a cluster space with no residential units in the zone, and around a buffer zone for future growth.
I like (and appreciate) how Hyderabad handled this. Techies - their office and residence, go and sit in a place like Gachibowli, Madhapur, Manikonda etc. Don't bother to enter the city proper with your laptop and Gizmos . These were barren lands during 1980s etc. Government machinery - stay put at Hyderabad, don't bother the techies. The infra for the government is already there. And they also got a real "ring road" around the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m
But I think what happens when a Metro line does come up is various private systems do develop, some jugaad, some official, that will start filling in the gaps.
I used to work in ITPL earlier. And even then I did notice that there was a sizeable group who used a combo of Metro & suburban trains. There were active WhatsApp groups. There were also private bus operators who made trips between the IT area and Hoodi stations. Auto rickshaw fellows also were ready (based on the time of the day). So given an option, there will be people to take it. With Whitefield-BYPL-Challaghatta line opening up, there would be really good occupancy in trains.
sachinpk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2023, 18:37   #21270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post

I like (and appreciate) how Hyderabad handled this. Techies - their office and residence, go and sit in a place like Gachibowli, Madhapur, Manikonda etc.
Yes, their ring-road has access-controlled entry and exit like Nice Road, unlike ours which is just a normal road with a service road. Everyone enters and exits at their will.

Their government is progressive. They changed the law in their assembly and allowed two-wheeler taxis. I think Goa and Telangana are the only states with legal two-wheeler taxis.

But their RTO was also against carpooling and used to fine and seize cars from Blabla Car, etc. when I was there in 2018. Not sure if anything has changed now.

Last edited by Aditya : 6th October 2023 at 09:37. Reason: Grammar
shamanth is offline   Received Infraction

Most Viewed