Team-BHP > Street Experiences


Reply
  Search this Thread
11,611,112 views
Old 16th October 2023, 12:05   #21346
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 573
Thanked: 1,236 Times
Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

One thing they need to do is increase parking capacity at Metro stations. There are some stations which dont have any parking. Its not easy since there will be stations going through busy roads. But for stations little outside they should try to have multi storied parking.

I park in Nayandahalli and take metro when I need to travel to MG Road. Its a breeze and takes 20 minutes only. There is more space available with BMRCL next to the current parking and they have fenced it and not using it for some reason.
PreludeSH is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2023, 15:43   #21347
BHPian
 
sudeepg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 810
Thanked: 2,446 Times
Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samarth 619 View Post
The people above complaining of 2-3 kms distance should consider cycling for the sake of the city. You know, once I walked 6 kms as a 4th standard child, in Bengaluru itself.
I can see a little ego too in the opinions, while I'm myself ready to sacrifice riding my Duke 390(!) if my city had Metro, but it doesn't sadly.
Your argument is alright, but not valid. Cycling isn't the best alternative. Where will you park your cycle safely? Metro stations have limited parking and sometimes none. Also, you are considering only the origin of the journey or source. What to do at the destination? Last-mile connectivity has to be at both ends of your journey.

Also, you need to let go of the assumption that not everyone travels light and it is not easy to cycle with some baggage. Senior citizens, and people with minor health conditions - What about them? Cycling is your solution? There are several scenarios where cycling isn't the solution. It is too short-sighted an opinion.
sudeepg is online now   (17) Thanks
Old 16th October 2023, 18:14   #21348
BHPian
 
Zippy_wheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2023
Location: Pune
Posts: 138
Thanked: 440 Times
Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepg View Post
Your argument is alright, but not valid. Cycling isn't the best alternative. Where will you park your cycle safely? Metro stations have limited parking and sometimes none. Also, you are considering only the origin of the journey or source. What to do at the destination? Last-mile connectivity has to be at both ends of your journey.

Also, you need to let go of the assumption that not everyone travels light and it is not easy to cycle with some baggage. Senior citizens, and people with minor health conditions - What about them? Cycling is your solution? There are several scenarios where cycling isn't the solution. It is too short-sighted an opinion.
Agreed. It's also risky cycling alongside the jam packed traffic - there are no dedicated cycling lanes. You dont want to arrive in office all tired and frustrated. Look at our weather. Cycling after 9 in the morning with all the heat, dust and erratic traffic is impossible, especially when you have an alternative (car/bike standing just next to your cycle)
Zippy_wheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2023, 18:34   #21349
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 813
Thanked: 2,401 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepg View Post
Your argument is alright, but not valid. Cycling isn't the best alternative. Where will you park your cycle safely? Metro stations have limited parking and sometimes none. Also, you are considering only the origin of the journey or source. What to do at the destination? Last-mile connectivity has to be at both ends of your journey.

Also, you need to let go of the assumption that not everyone travels light and it is not easy to cycle with some baggage. Senior citizens, and people with minor health conditions - What about them? Cycling is your solution? There are several scenarios where cycling isn't the solution. It is too short-sighted an opinion.
Rightly said. Autos and feeder buses should be used for the last mile connectivity. Rein in the auto guys to ply by the meter ( and keep updating the fares regularly ). As for the BMTC buses, one should be able to pay using UPI or a transit card so that the transition from Metro to BMTC is seamless.
m8002? is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2023, 18:46   #21350
BHPian
 
DiMaGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 37
Thanked: 89 Times
Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Mine is an interesting story; though I was working in IT for the past 16 years and been staying in Bangalore for the last 19+ years, I had totally and completely avoided the dreaded Silk Board and Outer Ring Road for all these years. But come Nov 2022, I switched jobs to an organization which is situated near Whitefield.
During Joining, I was told that 3 days are mandatory and within those 3 days, I may choose WFH for 1 day. But that soon changed and we were asked to work from office 3 days compulsorily.
Since I stay in a vicinity in which Metro 'may' become operational only from March 2025, I tried various aspects Viz., Public Transport, Office Cab and My Own Transport [Car].
Since office meeting timings often coincided with whichever Office cab I chose or tried to catch a Public Transport, I was forced to commute by my Car.
And after exploring numerous timings of leaving home towards office and Vice Versa, I've found most suitable Office timings to be, hold your breaths, leave home at 6.10 AM -> Reach around 7 AM -> Work till 12.30 PM -> Start back to home at 12.45 PM -> Reach home by 2 PM -> Have Lunch and reconnect from 3 PM -> Continue till 7.30 PM [at least].
The only thing in this is, am unable to give time to my health [absolutely ZERO!!].

Am absolutely not sure, for how long I will be able to carry on like this. And if called to office for 5 days a week, I dont really have any Plan B.

PS: Yes, I had escaped the dreaded Traffic pile up on Sept 25, 2023..!
DiMaGo is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 07:07   #21351
Distinguished - BHPian
 
itwasntme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 6,967
Thanked: 12,490 Times
Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

https://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.c.../104477608.cms

Never been to this particular hellhole myself, but from pictures it always resembled a typical railway culvert. Now it transpires it is a culvert!

Last edited by itwasntme : 17th October 2023 at 07:33.
itwasntme is online now  
Old 17th October 2023, 07:54   #21352
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Rajeevraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,606
Thanked: 17,681 Times
Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
https://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.c.../104477608.cms

Never been to this particular hellhole myself, but from pictures it always resembled a typical railway culvert. Now it transpires it is a culvert!
This had always been a culvert. When they laid the road from Croma Jn to the railway track, due to the immense pressure of traffic on the Panathur road, the underpass and the infamous S Cross road, and the pressure from residents to ease the traffic, the administration declared that this is an alternate road option to Panathur road and was used as such.

Then everyone realised that declaring it a road is not enough, and then there were some half hearted attempts to prevent flooding which did not work.

Guess this saga has reached its conclusion. Railway is also doubling the stretch and they need to expand the vent. Probably has been used as a reason by railways to just close it down.
Rajeevraj is offline  
Old 17th October 2023, 10:14   #21353
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,896
Thanked: 11,958 Times
Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiMaGo View Post
...I've found most suitable Office timings to be, hold your breaths, leave home at 6.10 AM ->...Continue till 7.30 PM [at least].
The only thing in this is, am unable to give time to my health [absolutely ZERO!!].
It's not worth it. If it's financially feasible, move to a job with a better commute or remote work.

What you have described was more or less my story for 3 years when I worked on the ORR. Difference being that I would leave home before 7am, but often stay back till 9pm to avoid the evening rush too. Pointless existence, eating all 3 meals at work and spending at least 1.5 hours on the commute (up to 3, if it rained!) Made the move to a lower paid job that let me work remote. Don't regret it one bit! Life is infinitely better now.

Edit: Since you mentioned your job is at Whitefield, wouldn't the Metro help? Might take the same time for the commute, but will be a lot less stressful.

Last edited by am1m : 17th October 2023 at 10:18.
am1m is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 12:17   #21354
Senior - BHPian
 
Jaguar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,202
Thanked: 2,518 Times
Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiMaGo View Post
I've found most suitable Office timings to be, hold your breaths, leave home at 6.10 AM -> Reach around 7 AM -> Work till 12.30 PM -> Start back to home at 12.45 PM -> Reach home by 2 PM -> Have Lunch and reconnect from 3 PM -> Continue till 7.30 PM [at least].
The only thing in this is, am unable to give time to my health [absolutely ZERO!!].
This doesn't look sustainable. Not just the commute, your workload also seems to be an issue. Are you having to spend more hours logged in because of the 3-hour break in the middle of the day? Are the timings expected to improve over time or are you going to have to put in 9+ hours always? If it is the latter, then either shift closer to the office or start looking for a new job.
Jaguar is online now  
Old 17th October 2023, 14:36   #21355
BHPian
 
gaurav_3000ad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Delhi's belly
Posts: 93
Thanked: 392 Times
Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

There is a saying which goes like :-
"Pain is inevitable: suffering is optional"

I believe that we cannot escape the traffic pains of Bangalore anytime soon however we can mitigate the suffering to a large extent. Some productive ways to utilise time stuck in traffic :-
1. Listen to that podcast which you had always been postponing because of its 1hr duration.
2. Enjoy a good playlist. Apple music has got some kickass "stuck in traffic" and "beating monday blues" playlists.
3. Call up an old buddy with whom you haven't spoken in a long time.
4. Start a carpool. Nothing kills time faster than good company and conversations.

Also i believe that being stuck in traffic teaches you a lot of things as well :-
  • Patience - obvious
  • Resilience - obvious
  • Ingenuity - as you look for ways and means to beat the traffic
  • Mindfulness - for other users, especially if they dart in front of you
  • Conversations - Ranting about traffic is a perfect way to break the ice!

I remember in the latter half of 2021 and start of 2022 i had to make multiple trips from Gwalior to Lucknow. 6hrs of driving alone on the same routes can get quite tedious. But i would spend the entire week shortlisting the podcasts that i would listen to on the drive. Slowly there came an inflection point beyond which i actually started to look forward to these log journeys.

P.S. I have suffered Bangalore traffic myself for 7 odd years so i can understand and feel the pain. I'm sure other members can think of other amazing ways to pass time in traffic.
gaurav_3000ad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 15:00   #21356
BHPian
 
DiMaGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 37
Thanked: 89 Times
Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Edit: Since you mentioned your job is at Whitefield, wouldn't the Metro help? Might take the same time for the commute, but will be a lot less stressful.
Until March 2025, there is NO Metro Connectivity in our vicinity. Am eagerly looking forward for commuting by Metro, but, for now its a 'Far Fetched' dream for me! Thanks for your suggestion though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Are you having to spend more hours logged in because of the 3-hour break in the middle of the day? Are the timings expected to improve over time or are you going to have to put in 9+ hours always? If it is the latter, then either shift closer to the office or start looking for a new job.
Since am in Leadership position, am 'Expected' to be available especially for little late evening calls. For now, since its early days in the current organization, I dont have to spend beyond 7 PM on laptop on most days, and on few days it may go to 7.30 PM.
Shifting closer to office is easier said than done; We are staying here for the past 13+ years and kids have gotten accustomed to School, recreation, etc.
So, the only silverlining for me is to have the Metro Operational.
Till then, am just hoping this travelling for me is limited to 3 days a week!!
DiMaGo is offline  
Old 17th October 2023, 15:24   #21357
BHPian
 
Samarth 619's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Ajmer
Posts: 234
Thanked: 701 Times
Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepg View Post
Your argument is alright, but not valid. Cycling isn't the best alternative. Where will you park your cycle safely? Metro stations have limited parking and sometimes none. Also, you are considering only the origin of the journey or source. What to do at the destination? Last-mile connectivity has to be at both ends of your journey.
Also, you need to let go of the assumption that not everyone travels light and it is not easy to cycle with some baggage. Senior citizens, and people with minor health conditions - What about them? Cycling is your solution? There are several scenarios where cycling isn't the solution. It is too short-sighted an opinion.
Considering that metro stations are constructed around high density locations, a solution that's valid for most of the people is shared by me. Clearly, it may not apply to many, I'm not in your shoes, not even in your city presently.

You consider cycling a non-solution, because of our limited perception of cycling. My dad used to cycle 12 kms daily (sometimes upto 15-16) with me and I'm worse, I use a Duke 390. My daily commute is 35 kms due to teaching at multiple locations, so I use my bike, but still I chose to park home the car. It helped a little, I guess?
Ditching the car at least can work for you, isn't it? Car is the most spacious object on the road, on a ratio(space occupied/persons travelling) basis. On my next job, I'm cycling myself, if its within 3 kms or so. And why is a healthy, fit body so bad that you'd rather not want it?
Reg. Senior citizens, the rush you see is not due to senior citizens alone anyways.

There're constructive tips which might help with cycling. A laptop bag attached to the carrier is far more relaxing, than on your shoulders. Use multi-speed/gear bicycles. Even motorised/ assisting bicycles exist. I don't know parking situations in metro stations or big cities, but I'd hunt for a pole and use my own lock with it. Or talk to some property owner nearby.
Clearly, on one end you might need a public transport, its still better than a personal vehicle.

The problem is, over the long run, everyone thought like you and that's why you're in a city with 1 crore+ vehicles.
The Bengaluru I remember (it was Bangalore back then) wasn't like this. I used to walk on the isolated roads of Ilyas Nagar/ JP Nagar in 3rd and 4th class. Most vehicles were trucks, some rare cars and scooters or so. Even Symphony building, Brigade Road and MG Road weren't so bad when I was in Army School. I also took the bus a lot as a child.

Brother, revolutions happen from micro to macro, not the other way round. No government can force this. We're progressing. Some sacrifices are granted, we can't have it all.
Give it a thought, try to work on managing the commute with a combination of means. Maybe you're right about no choice, but give it a try anyways...

Last edited by Samarth 619 : 17th October 2023 at 15:31.
Samarth 619 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2023, 10:36   #21358
Senior - BHPian
 
AMG Power's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: BLR
Posts: 1,059
Thanked: 6,970 Times
Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Bangalore Traffic Police vs Bangalore Traffic Police
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-bb44cfc883d045ca9462d0d17d0f7666.jpeg  

AMG Power is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 18th October 2023, 11:20   #21359
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,896
Thanked: 11,958 Times
Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
Bangalore Traffic Police vs Bangalore Traffic Police
Priceless! But I suspect this is a fake forward (unless you took this pic, then obviously real). No chance any traffic cop will clamp a cop vehicle. Plus, they can always say they were attending to an emergency.
am1m is offline  
Old 18th October 2023, 13:11   #21360
Distinguished - BHPian
 
audioholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BengaLuru
Posts: 5,657
Thanked: 19,395 Times
Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
Bangalore Traffic Police vs Bangalore Traffic Police
Undisclosable sources say that they were worried about car theft and hence clamped the wheel for additional safety.

On the other hand, I realised that the traffic police are ruthless even against BMTC. Just check pending violations on any random bus with registration number KA57F____ and you will realise how many violations have piled up. Some are also cleared periodically by the respective transport undertaking.

I see BMTC buses being fined for parking at wrong places, double parking, improper number plate, signal jumping and so on. Not sure who pays the fine end of the day, mostly its tax payer money reaching police.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks