Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2024, 15:44   #21796
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post

I too have a similar query - coming from OA Road, what is the best way to to get to KA-03 (Kasturi Nagar) RTO office? Google shows a route through a RUB at the west end of KR Pura railway yard (before the rail track triangle starts, via what is marked as FCI Godown Road). Is this manageable in a two-wheeler?
Yes. It is a reasonably large underpass. It is prone to getting waterlogged during rains. But it was alright 3 days ago.
vinodh_eee is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2024, 15:54   #21797

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtonsing View Post
Yesterday, I needed to go to Baptist Hospital in Hebbal from Hennur side. It took me a good 1 hr + where I needed to cross Bellari road under the flyover and go straight and then take a right turn through bhoopasandra and then cut the Bellari road again and go through narrow roads and emerge near the emergency entrance of the hospital.

Isnt there a better way to reach baptist hospital other than the one I took? It was pathetic, to say the least.
I had to go to Baptist Hospital last evening, from Jakkur. This is what I do these days if I have to cross Hebbal flyover towards the city - I go towards Yelahanka from with the Shobha Emerald internal roads and join the Airport flyover towards Hebbal near the Vidyashilp joint from Jakkur Plantations side, the bottle neck at Hebbal FO is much lesser for folks taking the Airport flyover.

Pathetic traffic below the flyover, it is well worth the additional 2-3 kms detour that I had to take to get on the flyover.
EVICE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2024, 06:40   #21798
BHPian

As per BTP the road connectors at New Horizon and KLM Mall will be closed to reduce congestion. Should stay on the service road if you have to go towards Marathahalli bridge.

Source
115 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2024, 10:18   #21799
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 115 View Post
As per BTP the road connectors at New Horizon and KLM Mall will be closed to reduce congestion. Should stay on the service road if you have to go towards Marathahalli bridge.

Source
Sounds like a fairly bad idea. These are the wider entry points to service roads. With these closed it will force motorists to use the narrower entry points leading to the traffic on the main carriageway getting choked further.

Also, they have also not mentioned which entry to use to get into the service road for both these locations. Forcing motorists to go long distances on the service road will be counter productive considering the varying width, illegal parking, poor surface of the service roads.

With all civic agencies in a sleep more, understand that BTP is desperately trying various experiments to keep traffic moving and can appreciate that, but this definitely seems like a move that will backfire.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2024, 16:40   #21800
BHPian

Anyone has an update on the double decker flyover from Raggiguda signal to Silk Board? As I understood, it was supposed to open (1 way) sometime last week based on the news. But it was barricaded as of Sunday (30th June). Although I am not surprised at the public apathy, the reason might end up being hilarious.
I remember for a flyover in Delhi, officials were struggling to find someone to inaugurate it and opening kept getting delayed, month on month, until eventually citizens themselves inaugurated and started using it.
On an appreciative note though, the construction has been super quick by BLR standards. Was it falling under BMRCL's purview or BBMP?
Old 3rd July 2024, 16:59   #21801
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShreyG View Post
Anyone has an update on the double decker flyover from Raggiguda signal to Silk Board? Was it falling under BMRCL's purview or BBMP?
BMRCL!
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/.../111443589.cms

In other news:
Tora Tora Tora redux! (Just joking; no offence meant to anyone)
https://www.deccanherald.com/india/k...n-hold-3090337

Last edited by itwasntme : 3rd July 2024 at 17:00.
Old 3rd July 2024, 17:00   #21802
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post

Also, they have also not mentioned which entry to use to get into the service road for both these locations. Forcing motorists to go long distances on the service road will be counter productive considering the varying width, illegal parking, poor surface of the service roads.
Currently the legal entry to go to Iron Hill from Bellandur is from before Prestige Tech Park!!

Even worse, if you exit from Iron Hill you cannot get on to Outer Ring Road directly. Have to take u turn at Tulsi theatre or proceed via Doddanekundi!!

Wonder who comes up with these crazy ideas
Old 3rd July 2024, 17:21   #21803
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
No wonder it got done so quickly. BBMP, by their standards, would have taken probably a decade (and that's pretty aggressive) and then would have shamelessly paraded it as a monumental success.
Seems like I was right to some extent. "Waiting for a VIP inauguration". As if the VIP paid from his / her pocket to build it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
In other news:Tora Tora Tora redux! (Just joking; no offence meant to anyone)
https://www.deccanherald.com/india/k...n-hold-3090337
No surprises there. Automation tends to work when there is an iota of order available which the algos can learn from. I am not sure if it could register an auto hurtling on the wrong side of the road as a valid input and incorporate that into its calculations for any sort of outcome.

BBMP has a totally different set of priorities it seems - https://www.thenewsminute.com/karnat...-roads-details. Seems like it is the turn of the CBD to be totally wrecked for the next few years before the other guv agencies start to dig the newly roads up for laying pipelines, wires etc.

Last edited by ShreyG : 3rd July 2024 at 17:25.
Old 7th July 2024, 19:21   #21804
Distinguished - BHPian

https://www.deccanherald.com/india/k...d-road-3095739
itwasntme is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 8th July 2024, 09:21   #21805
Distinguished - BHPian

6 years and have used the car only for 42k kms. Out of which at least 25-30k on drives outside Bangalore. That means a running of less than 3000 km a year in Bangalore city limits and I'm sure that most of that was in the 2 years pre-covid when we used to drive to work. Post covid and remote work, we've barely used the car in Bangalore, we take it out a couple of times a month just to keep things running, but otherwise, even during the monsoon, we use the bike, auto, bus + Metro. Anything to not drive in Bangalore traffic! And it seems to be working out, so far. With the increasing Metro network and some semblance of order in the way auto rickshaws ply, by app, if not by meter, perhaps the day will come where some of us can do without buying a car in the city, even if we can afford one?

Last edited by am1m : 8th July 2024 at 09:24.
am1m is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th July 2024, 10:21   #21806
BHPian

Correct me if I am wrong please. But I think the current plan still terminates in Silk board - hosur road segment. That was the problem of the elevated flyover as well, you reach silk board section very fast and get stuck there. Will this solve this bottle neck at CSB?
Old 8th July 2024, 10:24   #21807
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
perhaps the day will come where some of us can do without buying a car in the city, even if we can afford one?
A lose translation of a quote I love : "a developed nation is where the rich use public transport.

We, as a nation are decades away from being one even if it's too late to reverse the damage we've already done in terms of stupid planning / corrupt people in power
Sk8r is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2024, 11:44   #21808
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtonsing View Post
Correct me if I am wrong please. But I think the current plan still terminates in Silk board - hosur road segment. That was the problem of the elevated flyover as well, you reach silk board section very fast and get stuck there. Will this solve this bottle neck at CSB?
It will move bottleneck at silk board out and distribute it at various other places. At least Silk board signal will no longer be as dreadful as before. How bad/good this distribution will be is something I would have a mixed opinion on.

At first only one side will be open since the opposite side ramps at silk board are still a year away from completion. So this should not cause major issues, except at the huge U bend at Silk board where two ramps meet and then diverge. If people are sensible enough to plan their moves, it would be good else would lead to chaos. Since traffic from BTM to HSR/E City is moved up from ground level, signal timings can be altered to allow better time for HSR - BTM traffic. This has to be cascaded till Jayanagar 9th Block so all signals will give more time to this direction compared to opposite. By this point, most of the traffic would have distributed itself to left and right sides.

Real challenge is when the opposite side ramps open. This will eliminate silk board signal to a small time signal catering only to two directions of traffic. However, this will lead to traffic at the landing of the flyover at Raghavendra swamy mutt signal. This is what majority of the people are predicting. But its not so simple. Compared to the bulk of traffic at Silk board going towards BTM, only a fraction reaches Jayanagar while the rest turn towards BTM or Jayanagar 9th block or even Tavarekere. So there might be some traffic at this signal but nothing compared to Silk board. Lets see how it goes.

But biggest annoyance is the flyover not yet being thrown open to traffic. That has become a huge mystery.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2024, 12:10   #21809
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
6 years and have used the car only for 42k kms. Out of which at least 25-30k on drives outside Bangalore. That means a running of less than 3000 km a year in Bangalore city limits and I'm sure that most of that was in the 2 years pre-covid when we used to drive to work. Post covid and remote work, we've barely used the car in Bangalore, we take it out a couple of times a month just to keep things running, but otherwise, even during the monsoon, we use the bike, auto, bus + Metro. Anything to not drive in Bangalore traffic! And it seems to be working out, so far. With the increasing Metro network and some semblance of order in the way auto rickshaws ply, by app, if not by meter, perhaps the day will come where some of us can do without buying a car in the city, even if we can afford one?
Can totally relate to this. I picked up my car in 2019 as my office moved to the dreaded ORR and driving a manual on that road was a torture. Completed 10k kms in first 10 months post which covid struck.

Since then in next 4 years have done barely 15k kms off which ~10k kms is on highways around Bangalore. Covid induced WFH has made me so lazy that I just can’t muster the courage of driving around Bangalore anymore inspite of having an AT

Don’t think I will change the car anymore as in next 8-10 years hopefully metro connectivity(alone with last mile connectivity) will be sorted(*fingers crossed*) and I can use it for in-city commute needs

Last edited by SoumenD : 8th July 2024 at 12:39.
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2024, 12:40   #21810
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Don’t think I will change the car anymore as in next 8-10 years...
Oh same here, we're also not planning to upgrade or change the car anytime in this, or possibly the next decade. If we were using it regularly, we sure would have in the next 3-4 years, but now, won't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Covid induced WFH has made me so lazy that I just can’t muster the courage of driving around Bangalore anymore inspite of having an AT
I don't think it's lazy at all. For more than a decade, we normalized the kind of traffic and the kind of driving we had to do regularly in Bangalore. For 3 years commuting to the ORR we'd normalized getting out of the house at 7am to beat school traffic, getting back anywhere between 5pm and 10pm, totally unpredictable thanks to traffic. Getting stuck for over an hour just for that 1.5 km trying to exit the IT Park when it rains. Trying to get parking in the city, fighting with idiot cab drivers who go the wrong way and block everyone else, the pollution, the inevitable scratches and dents. But you're right, once you cut down on city driving, your tolerance level for all that goes down. Though, that's one tolerance I'd rather not build again! I'm happy structuring my life around what's accessible through the Metro.

And it's not like we don't like driving anymore, we both absolutely enjoy our road trips out of the city as much as ever. More in fact, because now driving doesn't seem like a chore, it's something fun to do on a holiday!

Last edited by am1m : 8th July 2024 at 12:48.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed