Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2011, 21:42   #2176
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Absolutely!

Getting a license must be made hard. Two wheelers must be grilled by the cops when they approach the RTO for a license. They must be taught not to cut off traffic and give way when necessary. If they do not get the basics right the first time, they should be given the opportunity to acquire their license only after a stipulated time, say 1 year.

Along with this, education will go a long way in helping people understand the nuances of traffic on the roads and driving/riding etiquette.
And we all think that they would not ride/drive if they had no license? How many riders/drivers are on the road without a license!!! - We all know that. I guess we can only rave and rant and hope for a divine miracle to strike these souls.
Old 25th February 2011, 21:53   #2177
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Koramangala (Sony World) signal
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-dsc01225.jpg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-dsc01226.jpg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-dsc01227.jpg
Old 25th February 2011, 22:12   #2178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
Koramangala (Sony World) signal
The guy in the last pic is mostly the chronic case of trying to beat the orange light and defeated at the last second. He has even decided to stay there when everyone else is behind the Zebra crossing at least ( or rather at the edge of the start of the zebra crossing by the looks of it)!!!

A silver Ikon was driving in a zig zag fashion revving at the slightest opportunity he got and braking suddenly. Noticed this guy when descending the marahathahalli fly over itself and decided to keep distance. Unfortunately due to his short sighted driving style he was stuck in traffic on the right lane and I was on the left lane on my bike moving slowly near the graphite India signal. Not sure what happened to this moron, he swerved to the left dangerously and almost knocked me down. I had to ride onto the foot path to avoid him and braked. By the time i was able to get back onto the road, he had revved away ignoring the red light.
Old 26th February 2011, 21:09   #2179
Senior - BHPian

bit more ranting..

Lakeside hospital signal Ulsoor. as soon as the light goes green (sometimes even before that) people come on to the right side of the road to cross the signal faster. at that point, the traffic from the right (coming from Naga theater side) has a free left. imagine what can happen!

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-_mg_8210.jpg

road leading to Banaswadi flyover - it is a one-way.
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-_mg_8217.jpg

St.John's road, joining the Dickenson road, is a one-way from the RBMNS ground junction, but still this auto fella comes in the wrong direction.
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-_mg_8221.jpg

Dickenson road (heading towards M.G road) - no explanations required!
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-_mg_8222.jpg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-_mg_8223.jpg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-_mg_8224.jpg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-_mg_8225.jpg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-_mg_8226.jpg

heading from Old Airport road and nearing Trinity circle!
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-_mg_8239.jpg
Old 27th February 2011, 20:31   #2180
Team-BHP Support

Story at Madiwala, every morning.

Why does no one do ANYTHING when these idiots occupy 2 out of the 3 lanes; to make it worse some even come wrong-side.

The police station is right in front! Of course, cops are busy shopping too.

Live example of India being a "bhindi-bazaar".
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-moto_0002.jpg  

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-moto_0003.jpg  

Old 28th February 2011, 10:33   #2181
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
bit more ranting..

Lakeside hospital signal Ulsoor. as soon as the light goes green (sometimes even before that) people come on to the right side of the road to cross the signal faster. at that point, the traffic from the right (coming from Naga theater side) has a free left. imagine what can happen!

Attachment 508098

road leading to Banaswadi flyover - it is a one-way.
Attachment 508099

St.John's road, joining the Dickenson road, is a one-way from the RBMNS ground junction, but still this auto fella comes in the wrong direction.
Attachment 508100

Dickenson road (heading towards M.G road) - no explanations required!
Attachment 508101

Attachment 508102

Attachment 508103

Attachment 508104

Attachment 508105

heading from Old Airport road and nearing Trinity circle!
Attachment 508106
This is pretty common in Blore. I have seen this many times at almost all the signals in Blore. Slowly, this has started to be trend in Cochin too. Finally, you will be able to see many pics from Cochin too
Old 28th February 2011, 11:44   #2182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
This is pretty common in Blore. I have seen this many times at almost all the signals in Blore. Slowly, this has started to be trend in Cochin too. Finally, you will be able to see many pics from Cochin too
this has become a common thing in Thrissur, let alone Cochin! man, this is a infectious disease!
Old 28th February 2011, 11:57   #2183
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Now I get it. It seems to be spreading along the NH-47. Had been noticing the increasing number of such morons in Palakkad too

<EDIT>:
IronH4WK, noticed the schoolgirl riding pillion on the bike. This is how the kids see their parents show manners on the road. If the kids are not sensitized, the situation is only going to get worse.

In Palakkad, I've seen the Traffic Cops stopping bikers without helmets and instead of slapping a fine, patiently explaining the consequences. Of course the biker will have to stay and listen, because there're 4-5 cops there and if (s)he tries to do something foolish, (s)he can be charged for other petty things as well. This I heard was on the lines of an instruction from the minister 'not to "harass" bikers for not wearing a helmet'.
</EDIT>

Back to Bangy, I've noticed hooters installed at pedestrian crossings with signals. Something good to have. But morons on wheels who don't care a hoot about signals always pose a grave danger to pedestrians.

Last edited by silversteed : 28th February 2011 at 12:05.
Old 28th February 2011, 12:10   #2184
BANNED

On Friday after the shower that cooled down Bangalore a bit. I was on my way home to Marathahalli via Old Airport Road.

At the Manipal Hospital Signal I was in the middle lane with the right most lane being the one that takes the Uturn. Signal being green I am slowly riding towards the junction. When a Bajaj Pulsar guy just cuts me off right next to the barricades. He enters the middle lane from the right side one just before the barricades. I somehow control my bike and honk once to show my displeasure. The guy raises his hand as if to say what happened. I don't react.

And as we go further this guy now again tries to move from the middle lane to the right lane. And he is being the meat between two cars. I remember the Optra on his right.

The gap gets too narrow, he brakes, skids due to it being wet and somehow luckily falls between the two cars without coming under either of them. The black Optra on the right gets a prominent dent on his rear left door.

I am right behind and stop to see what happens. He picks his bike and pushes it towards the petrol bunk. I follow him. Bike is quite damaged. But he is good. The Optra stops a little further. But no one gets off. I look at the biker and tell him I will report your rash driving to the cops being the cause of the accident. He is shocked. He says sorry and is almost about to cry. Looking at him I made out this is papa's gift to his brainless son and now sonny boy is scared out of his wits having pranged his gift badly.

The Optra guy just drives off though. And the kid pleads that he will go home and ride properly. I go behind the Optra guy. But by then he has taken the right on Wind Tunnel Road.

Mr Optra guy with w number plate having "58" in it. I am sure you must have seen the dent by now. You should thank your stars you didn't kill a moron because of his stupidity. Being no fault of yours you could have probably got the wrong end of the corrupt force and judiciary here.
Old 28th February 2011, 12:57   #2185
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
The gap gets too narrow, he brakes, skids due to it being wet and somehow luckily falls between the two cars without coming under either of them. The black Optra on the right gets a prominent dent on his rear left door.
I pity the Optra fellow. His car gets damaged thanks to a senseless moron.

Between, the biker could have slipped coz he applied brakes while on the lane marker, which can get really slippery when it rains. Have experienced it once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Mr Optra guy with w number plate having "58" in it. I am sure you must have seen the dent by now.
WB registered Optra?
Old 28th February 2011, 13:19   #2186
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Have experienced it once.
That could be the reason. Because he was quite clearly inbetween the middle and right lane.

Yeah poor Optra guy. I wanted him to get the kid apprehended. I could have stood by him for sure. But I guess the poor soul thinking this would become a free for all anytime soon thought of driving off instead. And becasue of the rains the cops had deserted the location too or else they are always there.

Quote:
WB registered Optra?
No a KA one. I think that w in my previous post was a typo.
Old 28th February 2011, 13:38   #2187
Team-BHP Support

The first rains after a couple of dry days causes a a water-oil mixed slippery layer on most roads.
The oil that has been sprayed out from vehicles using the roads.

Usually this is worse at signals, toll booths and places where vehicles would slow down or stop.
Old 28th February 2011, 16:06   #2188
BHPian

Yesterday I was driving to the airport at around 1:30 am from Kormangala.

At a crossing on Hosur road near St. Josephs High School, I saw the trafffic lights were flashing yellow as there is hardly any traffic at this time of night.

As I approached the signal I slowed down to about 40km/h since I saw a Indica cab approaching in the distance. I thought he would also slow down and let me pass as I was very close to the crossing.

But he did exactly the opposite: he increased his speed and try to beat me to the crossing, I stepped hard on the brakes and the car skidded to a halt. The Indica drove by inches in front of me at high speed as if nothing had happened

I guess with my Alto at 40km/h and an Indica cab at 60-70km/h, there would'nt have been much chances of coming out unscathed.

I wanted to what his the custom at yellow flashing traffic lights, who should have the right of way?

Last edited by Foxbat : 28th February 2011 at 16:08.
Old 28th February 2011, 16:16   #2189
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
Yesterday I was driving to the airport at around 1:30 am from Kormangala.

At a crossing on Hosur road near St. Josephs High School, I saw the trafffic lights were flashing yellow as there is hardly any traffic at this time of night.

As I approached the signal I slowed down to about 40km/h since I saw a Indica cab approaching in the distance. I thought he would also slow down and let me pass as I was very close to the crossing.

But he did exactly the opposite: he increased his speed and try to beat me to the crossing, I stepped hard on the brakes and the car skidded to a halt. The Indica drove by inches in front of me at high speed as if nothing had happened

I guess with my Alto at 40km/h and an Indica cab at 60-70km/h, there would'nt have been much chances of coming out unscathed.

I wanted to what his the custom at yellow flashing traffic lights, who should have the right of way?
I doubt if there's right of way defined for such a scenario; yellow lights just indicate that you should slow down and proceed.

I think you should safely tag cabs with BMTC Volvos : the moment you see them in your vicinity, just hand them the right of way.
Old 28th February 2011, 16:29   #2190
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
In Right Hand Drive countries, one should give way to the car coming from his right.

Most Viewed