Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2011, 13:06   #2266
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Oh, didnt realize there is a seperate bangy traffic thread. See this post

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post2308030
svsantosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2011, 13:53   #2267
BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo View Post
Going by your post, you seem to be a defensive and responsible driver. Keep it up. I see that my dad/driver/grandfather are the most responsible drivers on the road, while I'm sort of an offensive co driver, towards law breakers who jump signals, come the wrong way, stop at green signals and more.
Thanks. You must be the first person who called me so .

Anyways, there are quite a few insurance policies in the market which provide 100% coverage. I have one. You can probably try them out.

As far as the autodriver goes, they generally stay away from me for different reasons altogether.

I do make sure that people overtake me from the right side. For the others, they soon realize the futility of trying to go the wrong way with me.
Old 9th April 2011, 20:48   #2268
Team-BHP Support

I always knew this, had a practical experience today. At BTM, the 100ft. road has a divider so although you wouldn't expect someone riding/driving on the wrong-side, it does happen.

I was trying to cross the road (on foot) today and was more focussed on negotiating the Volvos so kept my attention on my right. As soon as the road was clear, I started to walk and within a second fell down. Got up and realized, an idiot was riding wrong-side. I got up and asked him how stupid he was and that he was riding wrong and if he was doing so, he could have might as well have honked! All he muttered was an indifferent sorry and rode ahead.

While on the road, Indians will still be educated illiterates.

Moral of the story - while on the road, expect a vehicle from any direction.
Old 9th April 2011, 21:17   #2269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I always knew this, had a practical experience today. At BTM, the 100ft. road has a divider so although you wouldn't expect someone riding/driving on the wrong-side, it does happen.
Spend a month in Bangalore and you should NOT be not expecting someone riding/driving on the wrong side. In Bangalore you don't have divided roads. You have two roads side by side.

A friend of mine had come to Bangalore with his colleague, from Delhi. Very first day, the colleague got hit by an auto coming down the wrong side and the poor fellow had to be hospitalized. Am glad you were able to get up and just brush the dirt off.

Last edited by amitoj : 9th April 2011 at 21:18.
Old 9th April 2011, 21:22   #2270
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Spend a month in Bangalore and you should NOT be not expecting someone riding/driving on the wrong side. In Bangalore you don't have divided roads. You have two roads side by side.

A friend of mine had come to Bangalore with his colleague, from Delhi. Very first day, the colleague got hit by an auto coming down the wrong side and the poor fellow had to be hospitalized. Am glad you were able to get up and just brush the dirt off.
Even while I was typing it, I knew "expect" was wrong since you see it all the time. It's just that I was more concerned about the Volvos.

Thankfully it being a Saturday, there wasn't much traffic. So, I could get away with just a hard landing!
Old 9th April 2011, 21:23   #2271
BHPian

Quote:
Got up and realized, an idiot was riding wrong-side. I got up and asked him how stupid he was and that he was riding wrong and if he was doing so, he could have might as well have honked! All he muttered was an indifferent sorry and rode ahead.

While on the road, Indians will still be educated illiterates.
This nearly happened to me too, only difference was, I was walking on the footpath looking at the cars on the road, about 10 years ago, when suddenly I see a bike (coming in the wrong way) about the crash into me! Luckily my tough grandfather could stop the bike before it could hit me.
The idiot on the bike just giggled an apology and rode away.

10 years later, in India's most "Cosmopolitan" Metro, we still have educated dunces coming down the wrong way. For 5 years until I shifted to Bangalore, had the impression that Bangalore traffic was 99% perfect, with everyone wearing seatbelts, vigilant cops, courteous drivers/riders etc.

Had I been in your place, I would've taught the chap a lesson (short temper x-( ).

EDIT: @Aquaeo: :-)
Old 9th April 2011, 21:32   #2272
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo View Post
This nearly happened to me too, only difference was, I was walking on the footpath looking at the cars on the road, about 10 years ago, when suddenly I see a bike (coming in the wrong way) about the crash into me! Luckily my tough grandfather could stop the bike before it could hit me.
The idiot on the bike just giggled an apology and rode away.

10 years later, in India's most "Cosmopolitan" Metro, we still have educated dunces coming down the wrong way. For 5 years until I shifted to Bangalore, had the impression that Bangalore traffic was 99% perfect, with everyone wearing seatbelts, vigilant cops, courteous drivers/riders etc.

Had I been in your place, I would've taught the chap a lesson (short temper x-( ).

EDIT: @Aquaeo: :-)
Just yesterday, I was walking on the footpath when a biker honked. I just gestured towards the road and said that's where you should be riding. Shameless as he was, he rode on.

About teaching lessons, I stopped bothering a while back. It more often than not backfires unless you know the local language and are physically intimidating. And of course, ready to deal with consequences. For now, I just feel, "what goes around, comes around". It's much more peaceful this way!
Old 10th April 2011, 01:13   #2273
Team-BHP Support

Here we have a 'lost' truck driver trying to pull off a U-Turn and blocking traffic for a good 5 minutes, at Lal Bagh, on the way to Ashoka Pillar. Words were exchanged between him and a few others on the road.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-22032011202.jpg

--------------------------------------------------
And here we have a gas-vendor who seemed oblivious to the traffic on Airport Road. He parked his Rick on the right side of the road, right in front a traffic signal, at Hyderabadi Biryani.

EDIT: Oh, and get a load of the red i10. He had, quite literally, stopped right in the middle of the road after jumping his red-light. He could have backed-up, but he didn't.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-22032011199.jpg

Last edited by suhaas307 : 10th April 2011 at 01:16.
Old 18th April 2011, 11:07   #2274
BHPian

Quote:
About teaching lessons, I stopped bothering a while back. It more often than not backfires unless you know the local language and are physically intimidating. And of course, ready to deal with consequences.
Luckily I guess I have both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Not sure how many of you have read this on rickshaws in Bangalore, but this is good, have read half and finishing up the rest.

Rickshaw drivers and vampires in Bengaluru - Yahoo! News
I find this article lame in spite of being chivalric. . The posts on our very own Team-bhp make way better reads.

By the way, how come no rants on this thread nowadays? Earlier, there used to be at least 5 posts everyday. Have things improved or what??
I've been outta town, so no rants from me.
Old 18th April 2011, 18:16   #2275
Senior - BHPian

To the driver of maroon Linea, GA 05 XXXX registration, at Arekere signal on Bannerghatta Road, 4:45 PM 18/4/11:

The reason I was driving slow on the left most lane of the road was that I had a 4 day old baby and her mother in my car and the road was uneven. Of course, there was no way you could have known that, but still I was not sure what you wanted me to do by incessantly honking at me and then shouting at me when you overtook me from right. Slowing down further would have angered you even more, moving to right lane would have been wrong and there was no way I was going to speed up just because a "moron" (my wife's words, not mine, though i agreed with her at that point (and still do)) was honking away to glory behind me.

Anyway, I was glad that my family was with me in the car because that motivated me to keep my cool.
Old 18th April 2011, 18:34   #2276
Team-BHP Support

My wife got stopped for allegedly making a wrong right turn. 10 others made the same turn right in front of her. cop looked at her licence, collected Rs 100 and gave a receipt. Only car reg, no licence details nothing. Makes me think it is a con.
Old 18th April 2011, 18:42   #2277
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
My wife got stopped for allegedly making a wrong right turn. 10 others made the same turn right in front of her. cop looked at her licence, collected Rs 100 and gave a receipt. Only car reg, no licence details nothing. Makes me think it is a con.
Is the fine receipt supposed to have the DL details? I was fined once and the receipt had just the car reg. no. and the offence.

PS : does BTIS.in have details of a registered fine i.e. not an impending one? That could help.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 18th April 2011 at 18:43.
Old 18th April 2011, 20:07   #2278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
To the driver of maroon Linea, GA 05 XXXX registration, at Arekere signal on Bannerghatta Road, 4:45 PM 18/4/11:

The reason I was driving slow on the left most lane of the road was that I had a 4 day old baby and her mother in my car and the road was uneven.

Congratulations on becoming a father.
Old 18th April 2011, 20:32   #2279
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Only car reg, no licence details nothing. Makes me think it is a con.
Was it at the St Joseph's signal on Residency Road? I would be damned if it is. My only second fine for jumping a signal and I still am very sure that I did not break it.
Old 18th April 2011, 21:01   #2280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akas_chauhan View Post
Congratulations on becoming a father.

Thanks man. This is second addition though
Got two daughters now!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks