Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2011, 10:30   #2341
BANNED

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
you'll get one opportunity to make it right.. you know what i mean
AHHH!!!! Gotcha

I know where that's coming from. You dont get a second chance though
Old 28th May 2011, 14:29   #2342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire

AHHH!!!! Gotcha

I know where that's coming from. You dont get a second chance though
Aw c'mon! Everyone deserves a second chance

PS: I was referring to a cappuccino! What were you thinking?
Old 30th May 2011, 18:16   #2343
BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic

Now these structures built around the trees ( see my previous posting with pictures) are being re-laid to the road level as an after thought. Another waste of public funding.

Last edited by sudharma : 30th May 2011 at 18:18. Reason: adding more subject
Old 31st May 2011, 14:31   #2344
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Yesterday evening around 6.30pm, was driving towards Lavelle road via M.G. Road. I put on the indicator about 200 mts before the Cubbon park signal and towards my left there was enough space for one car to pass. A biege DZire swirled from the middle lane towards the left space and continued driving with me towards the signal. I naturally thought this bloke is also headed towards left but what he does next was really unbelievable. He accelerated and suddenly swirled towards the right and proceeded towards Cubbon road He almost took a biker away doing that. He did not even have any indicators on. If I were doing some speed, there definitely would have been collision.
Old 4th June 2011, 11:16   #2345
Team-BHP Support

Found this Alto in TCS' parking lot in Pioneer.

Now when you have educated people doing this, who do we start blaming?
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-moto_0021.jpg  

Old 4th June 2011, 17:50   #2346
BHPian

I had a minor incident today. I was waiting in my dio at a junction for the traffic to pass. Two imbeciles on a splendor rear-ended me at about 10kmph. I just told em "can't you drive properly?" All I expected from them was a sorry. But no, these thugs retorted by saying "Get lost!!!" This enraged me and I hurled a few absuses at them. They started following me and abused me at every signal I stopped in-front of everybody. It was getting worse every second and I simply neglected these guys and made a quick right. They couldn't turn in time, but in the end I could hear them saying "Look what I will do to you bla bla.." something like that. My day just got ruined. Should I be worried? All this because I asked them if they can't drive properly.
Old 5th June 2011, 00:58   #2347
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaibzi View Post
I had a minor incident today. I was waiting in my dio at a junction for the traffic to pass. Two imbeciles on a splendor rear-ended me at about 10kmph. I just told em "can't you drive properly?" All I expected from them was a sorry. But no, these thugs retorted by saying "Get lost!!!" This enraged me and I hurled a few absuses at them. They started following me and abused me at every signal I stopped in-front of everybody. It was getting worse every second and I simply neglected these guys and made a quick right. They couldn't turn in time, but in the end I could hear them saying "Look what I will do to you bla bla.." something like that. My day just got ruined. Should I be worried? All this because I asked them if they can't drive properly.
There is absolutely no point in correcting people; unless you are some authority very few self-respecting people are going to acknowledge your advice. They are the ones doing wrong, let them be! Why do you want to police them and make this worse?!

Way back in 2008, I was driving my Zen on FC rd, Pune when this dude on a stripped-down Kinetic kept driving zig-zag. I just rolled down my windows, gave him a stare and gestured asking him to stick in one lane. That excuse for a human overtook me, parked his bike diagonal to my car, got down and started hurling abuses left, right and centre. I simply rolled up my windows, kept staring at the front. Eventually he left and I continued. Since that day, I mind my own business.

It is simply not your business to correct people. Don't worry, they wouldn't do anything.

Just be careful hence forth.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2011, 12:29   #2348
BHPian

Yes, you are absolutely right libranof1987. You'll never really know who the person is behind the wheel and his background/position and what misery they ll put you in. Its just that his reply ticked me off. I'm still in the process of making peace with all the antics these people make on the road. Hopefully, this incident will process the speed up!
Old 5th June 2011, 19:25   #2349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Now when you have educated people doing this, who do we start blaming?
Good question! The simply one word answer is "Education". Yes! When we start educating the children of today (along with the adults, which is secondary) our tomorrows will start to show the effect. When the education also teaches discipline as rigorously as arithmetic and biology the majority of today's children will become good citizens. The realm of discipline is wide and it goes without saying that behavior in public (including that on roads) should be a part of that.
Old 5th June 2011, 21:03   #2350
Distinguished - BHPian

Education is just a part of it. I think the bigger blame here lies with the family they belong to. They have probably grown up seeing there Dad and others drive like this and hurl abuses at everyone. So its like a way of life for them.

Moral of the whole thing: Never try to educate people on the road. Its just not worth your time an energy.
Old 6th June 2011, 11:28   #2351
BHPian

Some brilliant geniuses decided to erect shamianas for a function on the exit ramp from NICE road onto Mysore road (while coming from Kanakpura Rd) yesterday, blocking the entire exit ramp. Traffic was being routed onto the entry ramp and traffic had to take almost a 45 degree turn to merge on to the Mysore side.

Do not know the genius responsible for giving permissions for the mess.
Old 6th June 2011, 12:57   #2352
BHPian

Today morning episode

I was driving to work with my wifey in our 2 months old i10 automatic. People familiar with whitefield are would recollect a Advaith Hyundai service center next to the Graphite signal. I was on the leftmost lane as I had to turn left on the signal. There is a normal practice by the bikers and some cab guys getting into the footpath in front of the Advaith Hyundai service center and then take left at the signal (Apparently the traffic police guys also do not say anything to these guys).

There was a guy in silver fiesta in the footpath, attempting to take the shortcut but the footpath was dugup and he was trying to come out. He did not notice my car and hit on the left rear scratching the area above tyre. I got down from the car as the signal was red and went to him and asked him to lower the window and explain. I was only looking for an apology and would have moved on as the scratch was not that big or worrying. He started abusing me saying that he had put the indicator and how carelessly I was driving and was shouting on top of his voice. The next thing I did was pulled out his car key and went and sat in my car. He then came running for the key. I did not give that and then he tried pulling my car key which I prevented him from doing.

Now comes a traffic constable and he sits in his car and asks us to proceed and stop further for settling the issue. I was mad at this guy's attitude and said you should be an idiot to be driving like this and this guy started threatning me to kill me and all that, my wife got agitated and gave this guy a strong dose in kannada. The traffic constable was trying to cool the tempers, the traffic guy asked me to take some money and let go off him. I said to him that I am not interested in money and asked the constable to challan him and recover some money and I wanted to move on. But the constable to my surprise said he was not interested in money and requested me to take this guy to the police station. I told this guy to come to police station for filing complaint.

My wife was very particular that since this guy used abusive language and threatend to kill etc I should teach him a lesson. On the way to police station he takes a right turn near Ginger and I realized this guy is trying to run. I then took the lead and made this guy follow my car to the police station. He in between tried to get inside the office he worked by turning and get away. On realizing he is trying to get in his office building, I blocked him and asked him to come with me. We reached in front of police station and then started pleading calling me sir that lets settle here etc..He offered me Rs. 500/- as compensation, I thought Rs. 500/- would be too less for this guy as a lesson. He then agreed to pay Rs. 1000/-. He paid and we moved on to our directions. I came to work and the first thing I did was putting the money in the charity drop box. Felt at peace after doing that, hopefully that moron learnt a lesson today that being apologetic for his rash driving wouldn't have costed him time and money :-)

Last edited by onesomeone : 6th June 2011 at 13:07.
onesomeone is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th June 2011, 13:33   #2353
Team-BHP Support

Re: Today morning episode

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesomeone View Post
I was driving to work with my wifey...

...being apologetic for his rash driving wouldn't have costed him time and money :-)
You deserve a pat on the back my friend.

Glad to see that you kept your cool through the entire ordeal. And also, I must give it to you for your presence of mind. He could have easily gotten away but you literally had him by his *ahem* the whole time.

At the end of the day, it's not about the money or the ding on your car. It's about the uncouth behaviour of some road-users and the audacity and tantrums they throw in order to justify their behaviour. It's really sad.

If I make a mistake on the road and tick someone off by mistake, I would and I do, graciously apologize for my act because I know that I'm in the wrong. That's the only way you learn from your mistakes and become a better driver.

Unfortunately, Indians on the road are fueled by 20% skill and 80% ego. Notice the lack of common-sense.
Old 6th June 2011, 15:20   #2354
Senior - BHPian

this happened last night around 8:20pm

my wife and i were heading to Garuda Mall for a movie and were taking the Banaswadi main road route. when going up the ITC flyover (towards Fraze Town), i noticed two cars standing still on the flyover - the one in front being placed diagonally. as we were passing by, i saw the driver's door of the car in front (orangish Ikon) was open and a little baby was sitting on the driver's seat and crying. i immediately put the left indicator and stopped slowly. then putting the hazard lights, i revered around 100mts until i was parallel to the two cars (on the opposite side). i lowered my window and asked one of the two guys as to what happened - one of them said something about wrong overtaking hitting his car. very next moment heated argument broke out between the driver of the car in front (Ikon - that got hit) and the other driver (DZire - that overtook from the left side). the driver of the Ikon (an middle aged man) grabbed the other driver's collar and shook him around.

at this point i knew this could get out of hand and very quickly. i keep the hazard light on, put the handbrake and cross the road. by this time, another person on a Activa slowed down and tried to talk sense in to both the drivers. the guy in the DZire was travelling alone, but the guy in the Ikon had a whole family in the car, including a baby. firstly, i separated them both to avoid physical confrontation. since the driver of the DZire seemed educated and bit more calm, i decided to try to pacify the Ikon driver, who was very agitated and was shouting and yelling.

i heard the Ikon driver's side of the story and even examined the wheel arch which he said was damaged by the DZire. i walked back and spoke to the DZire's driver about what happened.

now, the Ikon driver's spouse emerges from the car and i advise him to ask her to be seated in the car as other vehicles are passing by at speed and also asked him to move his ahead and park in the same lane as the DZire and switch on the hazard lights.

by this time, the Ikon driver has calmed down a bit and i tell them both that there is no point in trying to fight over who was right and who was wrong - mistake has happened and damage is done; no point in aggravating the situation further. i told them since both cars have insurance, call the cops, file an FIR and let insurance take care of it. for the first time, they both seemed to agree on something. i then told them that they was causing inconvenience for other road users and politely asked them to get off the flyover, park on the side somewhere ahead and call the cops. they both agreed and while the DZire driver was getting into his car i told him whatever happens, don't aggravate the other guy - just keep calm and get over with it as soon as possible; road rage isn't worth it. he seemed to get it.

they both move out and i crossed the road and got in my car with a smirk on my face

the argument:
- Ikon driver: the DZire overtook him from the left and while overtaking, clipped the front wheel arch. despite the contact, the DZire driver was kept going and that the Ikon driver had to overtake him and stop in front to get him to stop (hence the reason why the Ikon was diagonally parked on the flyover)

- DZire driver: the Ikon guy was having the little baby on his lap and was hogging the right lane and was not letting anybody pass. when he was overtaking from the left, the Ikon driver swerved and that's when the clipping happened. the he then slowed down to a stop and was not overtaken and made to stop as the Ikon driver claimed.

my 2 cents: i'm pretty sure the Ikon driver was driving with the baby on his lap - since when he got out, he left the baby in the driver's seat. since the Ikon wasn't giving way, the DZire overtook from the left. at this point the Ikon moved left either to give way or swerve when he suddenly saw the DZire on the left or tried to block him. this is when the supposed clipping happened (although, i'm not quite convinced - there was multiple dents on the wheel arch which couldn't have been caused by a passing car; also, i didn't see any telltale signs of scraping on the right side of the DZire). the Ikon driver got peeved that he got overtaken from the left (maybe there was eye contact or something said between them) and raced to overtake and stop the DZire.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-imag0158.jpg
phone camera + bad light = not so awesome picture!
IronH4WK is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th June 2011, 17:57   #2355
Team-BHP Support

Nice work there Anil!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
my 2 cents: i'm pretty sure the Ikon driver was driving with the baby on his lap - since when he got out, he left the baby in the driver's seat.
I just can't get to understand what pride people get letting their infants sit on their lap while driving. Such an "early" headstart ain't going to make them F1 drivers.

Having a kid on the lap is not only a huge distraction, it is terribly risky for the car as well as others.

The fathers who think they are being "cool" by doing this are actually lousy dads.

Most Viewed