Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2011, 15:23   #2716
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
A month passed with no sign of the spare coming from FIAT.

A good 5 months passed before FIAT finally got me the spare for the reverse parking light.
This is. Just wanted to say I think Concorde motors is probably less inclined towards servicing Fiat vehicles. There was an issue with the wheel bearing on my Fiat Linea. After getting it checked at Concorde, they agreed to replace it on warranty. But they had no stock of the spare part. The Service Advisor told me that he was ordering the same part for a few more Lineas and that it would arrive in a week. It's been 4 weeks now and still no idea when the spares are coming
Old 22nd September 2011, 18:08   #2717
Team-BHP Support

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

I was travelling from Marathahalli to MG rd at 10am today. Just after Marathahalli signal, I witnessed a rather unusual sight.

A 500C Volvo was attempting a U-turn at the 1st median break. Now, 500Cs aren't supposed to come to that side of the town; they generally go below the Marathahalli flyover and take a U-turn near ISRO. Guess the mess near Kalamandir because of the pipeline work made him take a shortcut. The bus had climbed up and connected on Old Airport rd. Now, this dude wanted to take a U-turn on that narrow stretch of road where even tempos have a problem.

Now starts the circus. A cop on duty immediately stopped him; scolded him and then asked him to go ahead where there was more room for a U-turn. Unbelievably, the driver went on arguing for a good 10min. What was even worse was, educated passengers got down from the bus and were arguing with the cop too!

This drama went on for about 20min. Finally, people from the lane I was in went to the bus, hurled choicest abuses and on further orders from the cop, the bus finally went ahead.

I have always felt the U-turn should be banned; it in fact was banned until a few months ago. Since, the U-turn not allowed board has been removed and the damn thing causes traffic jams at ALL times of the day.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-1.jpg  

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-2.jpg  

libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2011, 09:15   #2718
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I was travelling from Marathahalli to MG rd at 10am today. Just after Maratha..

...I have always felt the U-turn should be banned; it in fact was banned until a few months ago. Since, the U-turn not allowed board has been removed and the damn thing causes traffic jams at ALL times of the day.
What's the point having a 'No-U-Turn' board anyway? I see idiots taking U-Turns where the board is very clearly visible, in full view of traffic cops. Case in point: Shantinagar Double Road. At the BMTC depot junction, there are TWO no-U-Turn boards, not one, but two, but that doesn't stop idiots from breaking the law every single day. Funny thing is, I pass by that road every day, and every time I pass by, I see at least 3 vehicles taking the illegal U-Turn. And it takes me just 5 minutes to drive by that place. So imagine how many people through the day break that law!

Think of it this way, imagine the money BTP would make if they just fined every one that took the U-Turn there.
Old 23rd September 2011, 09:19   #2719
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
What's the point having a 'No-U-Turn' board anyway?

Think of it this way, imagine the money BTP would make if they just fined every one that took the U-Turn there.
The funny part is, there *was* a no U-turn board until a few months ago. And every few weeks, cops guarded that place and minted money.

Seems like some big-shot happens to have shifted in that lane and wants some convenience! If that median is closed, trust me, Marathahalli signal to the next signal will be a breeze. There are countless jams because of that median.

BTP may be a doing a good job, no doubt, but I feel the way cops go about their fine-business, it's all a bit too convenient. Fines aren't collected each time there's a violation; people are caught when the cops are in the mood for some fun.
Old 23rd September 2011, 09:26   #2720
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
The funny part is, there *was* a no U-turn board until a few months ago. And every few weeks, cops guarded that place and minted money.

Seems like some big-shot happens to have shifted in that lane and wants some convenience! If that median is closed, trust me, Marathahalli signal to the next signal will be a breeze. There are countless jams because of that median.

BTP may be a doing a good job, no doubt, but I feel the way cops go about their fine-business, it's all a bit too convenient. Fines aren't collected each time there's a violation; people are caught when the cops are in the mood for some fun.
Exactly!

And they choose their spots very carefully too. Behind bus-stops, behind walls and sign boards. They literally hide and wait for their victims. Yes, what the victims are doing is wrong, but is that the way to correct their mistakes? There is an ulterior motive. Actually, coming to think of it, it isn't an ulterior motive. It's out there for everyone to see.

How different are they from the muggers we often hear about?
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2011, 09:52   #2721
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
This is. Just wanted to say I think Concorde motors is probably less inclined towards servicing Fiat vehicles. There was an issue with the wheel bearing on my Fiat Linea. After getting it checked at Concorde, they agreed to replace it on warranty. But they had no stock of the spare part. The Service Advisor told me that he was ordering the same part for a few more Lineas and that it would arrive in a week. It's been 4 weeks now and still no idea when the spares are coming
addy, Yup, true. I have never had any issue with regard to regular servicing there. But when it comes to spares, it looks like they stock very minimal there. Did not know that you own a Linea. I know you also stay in RRnagar. Next time we meet up, we should catch up a short chat.
Old 23rd September 2011, 09:59   #2722
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Actually, coming to think of it, it isn't an ulterior motive. It's out there for everyone to see.

How different are they from the muggers we often hear about?
Completely!

And dude, they are so different from muggers. They have the Govt. backing them up and a Commissioner who's only too happy to ban parties rather than check corruption in the Dept.

The traffic cop Dept. in B'lore is possibly the most hypocritical I've ever seen.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2011, 10:04   #2723
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
PS: The long arm of Hebbal flyover to get onto ORR is sure fun
Trust me, this stretch is more than fun. You could actually feel the G-forces if you wished to.This was one road I used to push the baleno with the S-drives. The S-drives would scream begging for mercy at times .

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
A few days ago Hebbal to MTP was a nightmare. I guess it was Tuesday. Took me a good 45 mins to cross MTP from Hebbal. At peak hours this cross can be one of the worst. If we can cross this before 8.00 am, it'll be a breeze.
Crossing MTP means you drove beyond Nagawara ? Coz if you are getting into MTP its relatively easier since the service lane is always manned by cop to allow easy entry into MTP.Crossing Nagawara signal is always a pain and yeah I have been driving this stretch mon-fri twice a day for over 2 years now. Reaching MTP from Hebbal side is much easier as compared to coming from Nagawaara.
Old 23rd September 2011, 10:55   #2724
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post

Crossing MTP means you drove beyond Nagawara ? Coz if you are getting into MTP its relatively easier since the service lane is always manned by cop to allow easy entry into MTP.Crossing Nagawara signal is always a pain and yeah I have been driving this stretch mon-fri twice a day for over 2 years now. Reaching MTP from Hebbal side is much easier as compared to coming from Nagawaara.
I need to go beyond Nagawara since my office is in Whitefield and I stay near Hebbal lake. My comment was generic on the Hennur cross
Old 23rd September 2011, 11:55   #2725
BANNED

This a new one by the Bangalore Traffic Police. And we need to commend them in their ingenuity. WOW!!

So I have been cycling down ORR towards ORR Total Mall, Akme Ballet, etc. I stay in those woods.

One fine day I saw the radar van posted just after the railway underbridge after ISRO. Up the ramp towards ORR Total. Ok they do it on this stretch so they moved places. Ho.. Hum..

Next day same place same spot. EXACT same spot. Again Ho.. Hum.. So what.

Third day. EXACT same spot. Got me thinking. There has to be a reason for that. So went back up the slope and came down.

And this is where the brilliance of these guys struck me.

They have so optimized the spot that a vehicle coming down the slope cannot make out the radar van because the railway overbridge hides them off totally!!! So if you go down the slope and start accelerating down it, quite obviously. The radar gets you before you see the van.

BRILLIANT!!!

Now our public has got wound of this and have now smarted up to the trick. So they see less bakhras now.

But we need to commend their thinking.
Spitfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2011, 12:01   #2726
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
This a new one by the Bangalore Traffic Police. And we need to commend them in their ingenuity. WOW!!

So I have been cycling down ORR towards ORR Total Mall, Akme Ballet, etc. I stay in those woods.

One fine day I saw the radar van posted just after the railway underbridge after ISRO. Up the ramp towards ORR Total. Ok they do it on this stretch so they moved places. Ho.. Hum..

Third day. EXACT same spot. Got me thinking. There has to be a reason for that. So went back up the slope and came down.

They have so optimized the spot that a vehicle coming down the slope cannot make out the radar van because the railway overbridge hides them off totally!!! So if you go down the slope and start accelerating down it, quite obviously. The radar gets you before you see the van.

BRILLIANT!!!

Now our public has got wound of this and have now smarted up to the trick. So they see less bakhras now.

Same problem here in delhi too.
Somehow, these guys think this is a war, and drivers and cops are in battle.

And it never filters down from the top honchos in enforcement that prevention is better than prosecution.

But no, they would rather hide behind some bushes, and jump out at offending vehicles.
Wouldnt it be better if they stood in plain view, so that people are forced into not speeding etc.?

You ambush a vehicle, it could maybe run over you, or it could try and escape, and hit someone else down the road.
And these cops openly acknowledge, "we have to meet the challan quota"
What the hell???????

@Ironhawk below-> he probably didnt have what you were looking for on his bicycle.Itd be hard to find a spot for a "got bhp?" on a cycle's frame...

Last edited by mayankk : 23rd September 2011 at 12:12.
Old 23rd September 2011, 12:07   #2727
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

BRILLIANT!!!

yeah, when it comes to extracting moolah out of the common man (or woman), BTP is pretty good at coming up with fresh ideas

btw, i was looking for a cyclist on the ORR last evening. didn't find anyone
Old 23rd September 2011, 12:10   #2728
Senior - BHPian

To take a contrary view here..Surprise factor is key to reduce traffic violations. The fear of being caught should be induced in people's mind since cops can't man each and every streets. If one can see the radar, they will reduce the speed and behave as good boys. But speeds away to oblivion just after crossing the checkpoint.
Same applies to cops catching offenders at the end of one ways.

Last edited by poloman : 23rd September 2011 at 12:13.
Old 23rd September 2011, 12:27   #2729
BHPian

Quote:
This a new one by the Bangalore Traffic Police.

Aah this is not new at all my friend. I was challaned for doing 62 kmph on Mysore road highway (after kengeri) 3-4 years ago in a very similar fashion. This was supposedly a 60 limit stretch.They were waiting just after a gradient as usual.
Old 23rd September 2011, 12:29   #2730
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
And it never filters down from the top honchos in enforcement that prevention is better than prosecution.

But no, they would rather hide behind some bushes, and jump out at offending vehicles.
How do we prevent? Add speed breakers (humps) on the road?

Quote:
Wouldnt it be better if they stood in plain view, so that people are forced into not speeding etc.?
Is it really practical for cops stay open everyday which makes sure we dont cross speed limit?

Quote:
You ambush a vehicle, it could maybe run over you, or it could try and escape, and hit someone else down the road.
And these cops openly acknowledge, "we have to meet the challan quota"
What the hell???????
I experienced the same abroad, cop used to hide in a turn/curvy-road or behind tree, and if we drive in carpool lane, catch them red handed! And cop used to come randomly in rush hours to make unpredictable.

Last edited by Selective : 23rd September 2011 at 12:31.

Most Viewed