Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2011, 16:24   #2836
Team-BHP Support

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

This is the scene which is quite common at ANY railway crossing we encounter. These were clicked at the Sarjapur road railway crossing. The BMTC buses are in a different league altogether. for them the wrong side is always the way ahead.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-photo0766.jpg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-photo0767.jpg
Old 2nd December 2011, 19:44   #2837
Team-BHP Support

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

^^

Whenever I see people drive like this, I have this urge to get out of the car, go over to them and give them a sound thrashing. It's a pretty strong urge, I must say. But then I think about it, and realize that I am no one to lay my hands on these nincompoops.

Today, I had a close call while on my way back from college.

Coming back from Jayanagar, I generally take the Shanti Nagar Double Road back and get onto Richmond Circle Flyover and then MG Road, Trinity Circle and eventually Indiranagar.

Now some of you'll might be aware that while driving towards Lal Bagh on Double Road, one generaly encounters a traffic-signal in the middle of the stretch, with the BMTC Depot on your left. There are two massive boards at that junction that says (NO U-TURN) and you can't miss it, if you're going towards Lal Bagh.

This board is there for a reason. It's so that people don't stop on the right side of the road when the lights are green, and also to ensure that vehicles don't come in the way of those who are going towards Richmond Circle.

But obviously it doesn't matter for two hooligans on a two-wheeler. Must have been a HH Passion or some such bike. But the way they took the U-Turn was appalling, to say the least. Now I'm quite aware that people flout the No-U-Turn rule at this particular junction, so I always brace myself for idiots.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-idiot-2-wheeler.jpg

And today was one such day. I was on the right hand side of the road, approaching the junction and drove past the signal when suddenly, these hooligans on a two-wheeler nearly come under my car. I saw from the corner of my eye as I drove by that they didn't bother stopping, and nearly came underneath my car!

I slowed down and nearly swerved, but realized that there was a car right next to me so steadied the steering-wheel.

I was so miffed by these guys, I decided not to let them go, and began to chase them. Thee moment they realized that I was tailing them, they swerved wildly and rode into some gully road.
Old 2nd December 2011, 19:55   #2838
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I was on my way back from work at 9.30pm. Boarded a 335E at ITPL. The moment the bus started, I knew the driver wasn't in a good mood. He accelerated wildly, drove extremely close to every vehicle, braked very very hard and in the nick of time and drove ALL over the road.
I share a similar experience. Have had run-ins with these Volvo buses a few times, especially this 335E bus since my office was on Old Airport Rd. They have no regards for smaller vehicles and speed limits. I was cruising at 60 kmph once only to have this 335E Volvo charge up behind me flashing his high beam wildly and threatening to knock the rear of my car.

I slowed to about 45 kmph and pulled over to the extreme left lane to let the imbecile pass. There is no point getting into an altercation with these numb-skulled idiots and spoiling your mood, just let them pass and keep your cool.
Old 4th December 2011, 09:17   #2839
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
I share a similar experience. Have had run-ins with these Volvo buses a few times, especially this 335E bus since my office was on Old Airport Rd. They have no regards for smaller vehicles and speed limits. I was cruising at 60 kmph once only to have this 335E Volvo charge up behind me flashing his high beam wildly and threatening to knock the rear of my car.

I slowed to about 45 kmph and pulled over to the extreme left lane to let the imbecile pass. There is no point getting into an altercation with these numb-skulled idiots and spoiling your mood, just let them pass and keep your cool.
I have daily run-ins with them on my route from Old Airport to ITPL. None of drivers have got any road sense. Comptetion b/w two volvos buses are common and thats the most dangerous, they swerve and change lanes with no respect for other vehicles. I am a firm believer that public transport is a service rather than means to earn money, but this doesnt seem to be the motto of BMTC.
Old 5th December 2011, 10:53   #2840
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
This is the scene which is quite common at ANY railway crossing we encounter. These were clicked at the Sarjapur road railway crossing. The BMTC buses are in a different league altogether. for them the wrong side is always the way ahead.
And I have to go through this every single day

I have clicked many photos of how these BMTC buses (especially G2) and private buses go on the wrong side. And last Friday, 4 school buses of DPS did the same!! And only one DPS bus stuck to the right* side. I really wanted to get down and appreciate his patience.

Till about a year ago, that junction had very few trains during morning peak hours. But now, there are trains at 8.15 am, 8.30 am and 8.45 am every day. And the drama keeps repeating itself every day, and I keep taking photographs and making vulgar hand-gestures to law-breakers everyday.

I too went on the wrong side once, when the gate was just coming down. Not to go ahead when the gate opens, but to just stop there and block the vehicles behind me. And I did it

PS: right = left

Last edited by rohanjf : 5th December 2011 at 10:55. Reason: added PS
Old 5th December 2011, 18:47   #2841

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvcars View Post
Shyam...
Per [url=http://www.btis.in/rto]
I don't recommend a fist fight ever;
@Iluvcars, My Dear Friend, Trust me it has to be fist fight or nothing else. The world does not understand any other language these days

I give you an instance which happened to another guy on the road this sunday

A white swift, driving near the More super market (b/w C V Raman Nagar bus stand and Old Madras Road) touched an Indigo (Only later i came to know that only the mirror touched on both the cars and not a scratch was made on the swift)

I believe there was a family in the white swift and the Indigo had 5 adults completely drunk

The white swift stopped the moment contact happened, the driver of the indigo stopped in the middle of that small lane and then came running towards the driver of the swift

The driver of the swift was a localite and he spoke to him in kannada (very humbly at that), but he was being abused by the driver of the Indigo and within minutes he was covered with all the drunkards

I walked up to them (Had come to More super market) for discussion and in some time another auto full of drunken youth except 1 stopped and got down

Now i was discussing with another guy who was not drunk and he said that there is no point in talking now, since there is no point talking since nobody is interested

A red swift guy came behind the indigo which was parked in the middle of the road and was honking, these drunk men engaged him into a verbal fight

I saw a police near the main road, walked up to him and told him to look into the matter and all he did was to tell me to sod off!

And finally i came back started discussing with the guy who was not drunk and they asked 700Rs/- stating that the mirror is broken

The poor driver of the swift took out 500 and gave him

But you know what is funny in all these, the Indigo mirror did not even have glass in it. Got to know this later while i was telling the agitated swift driver to calm down

It seems like he walked upto the Indigo to see the damage with the other driver and when he did not find the glass, he questioned.

On questioning he was pushed around and then finally told that they cannot keep track of the glass which was broken!!!

I was puzzled and asked him why he agreed to pay the money then.

He says what good is he to the 5+4 people who are drunk

Very true, it is best to forget or get involved, rather than going to police.

Nobody walked upto the help of that guy, everybody were standing and watching

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenoytech View Post
Your actions can save lot of people on the road in the future.
Thanks,
@Shenoytech, I would not be doing both because i am tired of the system. More than doing good for others, all i am interested is the welfare of myself and my family.

You can call me whatever you want, but i am still honest. There is absolutely no point trying to correct the system. I do not have the time / patience to go thru the system.

Anything much more serious, then i may due to further processes but at the moment i lay down

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
kaggadasapura, vignannagar, basavanagar has turned out to be hell, during the peak hour it feels like people are returning from war...
Don't you think it is the same everywhere. Nobody has 2 mins to wait.

Right from the Auto drivers to the Bus driver. The person who drives the SUV to the person who drives the nano (Yeah for sure I have seen 1 Nano driver driving with 2 wheels on the footpath) nobody has time

I don't claim to be a saint, but i am for sure trying to be calmer on the roads every single day

And for those, who keep saying to refer or post on FB page of BTP, i guess we only see the posting were they have raised issues on the wrong number plates. There are many cases where even after repeated reminders not much has been done

The system is dying for sure. You cannot do much on this system.
Old 6th December 2011, 05:29   #2842
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyam.n10 View Post
And for those, who keep saying to refer or post on FB page of BTP, i guess we only see the posting were they have raised issues on the wrong number plates. There are many cases where even after repeated reminders not much has been done

The system is dying for sure. You cannot do much on this system.
Very true! And to top it, there are other humble citizens who say go and learn Kannada if you want to read those number plates.

India is a perfect example of a failed system.
benbsb29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2011, 10:51   #2843
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Very true! And to top it, there are other humble citizens who say go and learn Kannada if you want to read those number plates.

India is a perfect example of a failed system.
Agree with you. The site is not too effective as it was when the previous ACP was active. I have unsubscribed from the site.
Old 6th December 2011, 11:51   #2844
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Now some of you'll might be aware that while driving towards Lal Bagh on Double Road, one generaly encounters a traffic-signal in the middle of the stretch, with the BMTC Depot on your left. There are two massive boards at that junction that says (NO U-TURN) and you can't miss it, if you're going towards Lal Bagh.
Thats sign board is as good as its not there. Not just 2 wheelers, even 4 wheelers (cars, tempos) take U-turn there. For some reason even cops seem to not enforce the U-turn rule there.
Old 6th December 2011, 12:05   #2845
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Thats sign board is as good as its not there. Not just 2 wheelers, even 4 wheelers (cars, tempos) take U-turn there. For some reason even cops seem to not enforce the U-turn rule there.
I know!

I take that route to college every day. And you know, it isn't too crowded around that junction when I take that route, so the chances of an accident happening is a lot more when the vehicles have that space to move around on the road.

And it takes me about 5-10 minutes to get from Richmond Circle Flyover to the end of Double Road, and hardly a minute to get past that junction. So in that minute, I see about 6 vehicles on an average taking that illegal U-Turn, and sometimes, in the presence of a traffic-cop (who seem to not care, really) and it boils my blood to see that everyday. So you can imagine, if there are 6 vehicles that take the U-Turn, how many vehicles do it in a day?

I'm sure some institutions/buildings around there and the cops work hand-in-glove.
Old 6th December 2011, 12:19   #2846
Senior - BHPian

Happy to see cops catching two wheelers riding on foot path @ AXA signal
Old 6th December 2011, 12:30   #2847
Senior - BHPian

i was fuming when this moron went on the right side to get through the signal first
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-_mg_3159.jpg

felt much better when the cop caught him
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-_mg_3160.jpg
IronH4WK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2011, 14:51   #2848
BHPian

I was traveling to MG road from chalukya hotel at 12AM and i was shocked to see people stopping at a red lights, People actually waited for the signal to turn green without even honking, what was even more surprising was most of the vehicles were yellow board and auto rickshaws. I witnessed this on 4-5 signals.

I think these people are scared of the surveillance cameras installed at signals, because when i stopped at a red light on a late night , an auto driver told me that there are no cameras here and its fine to jump the red light.
Old 6th December 2011, 16:04   #2849
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
i was fuming when this moron went on the right side to get through the signal first

felt much better when the cop caught him
What time was it? Would love to see cops there in the evenings 6-8pm.
Every damn vehicle takes the right lane, with high beams ON. After a long day at work and when you are @ 10 minutes to reach home, but you have to wait half an hour just bcos of such idiots.
I feel like getting down and .....

Last edited by ch.nathan : 6th December 2011 at 16:05.
Old 6th December 2011, 16:11   #2850
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch.nathan View Post
What time was it? Would love to see cops there in the evenings 6-8pm.
Every damn vehicle takes the right lane, with high beams ON. After a long day at work and when you are @ 10 minutes to reach home, but you have to wait half an hour just bcos of such idiots.
I feel like getting down and .....
that was this morning around 10am. the cops are there in the evenings (i think) but are too tired to catch these morons who occupy the wrong side like rats in a tunnel

Most Viewed