Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2011, 21:20   #2866
Team-BHP Support

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant_vas View Post
I have observed that the 2 wheelers tend to squeeze between the smallest of spaces at various locations like: bashyam circle signal coming from sanky tank side, the sagar hospital signal on bannerghatta road and udupi garden signal in BTM or even the st.john's signal in koramangala.

But what is surprising is that if there is a big car (read: skoda, merc, bmw or a SUV) these two wheelers wont even go any way near to it! but if its a maruti/hyundai/tata/fiat etc they squeeze as if its their birth right without any regards for the car getting scratches.

Why this preferential treatment??
Sometimes, I find that it's the other way round.

You see, the newer the car, the slower and the more careful you are while maneuvering it. And two-wheelers seem to know this and take full advantage. They know that even though it isn't their right of way, they can still go ahead because the driver of the new car will be careful and not not go forward.

I've seen this behaviour, not only in two-wheelers, but also in auto-rickshaws and cabbies. The moment they see a new car on the road that's approaching them at a junction, they know that he WILL stop if they barge through.
Old 20th December 2011, 10:09   #2867
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Today I witnessed a very funny incident. Some of us already know who big the speedbreakers at the railway crossing near Decathlon on Sarjapur Road are. Whenever I take my neighbour's i10 there, its bottom always gets bumped. Thank heavens I chose Palio!

In today's chaos (that starts the moment the gates are opened after a train passes), a BMTC bus going towards the city had to stop just behind the hump. After that, he could no longer take the bus over the hump. I was on the left side of the bus and saw the way the bus was struggling. To add to that, the truck behind the bus came so close that the bus had no space even to reverse!

The funny part was, the conductor tried to push the bus. For a moment, I felt like helping them, but then why should I get myself in dirt for the sheer stupidity of BMTC (of still using the junk buses that should have been decommissioned ten years ago)?

Finally, after half the men in the bus got out and pushed it, the bus was off the hump. That took at least 10 minutes.
Old 22nd December 2011, 09:46   #2868
BHPian

Advise on driving in Bangalore

Planning a holiday drive to Bangalore this weekend (sat, sun).
Will it be crowded for this weekend (christmas holidays), or is it better to postpone it for mon, tue?

I will be driving with my family (using google-map for navigation) and will be mostly shopping-mall hopping.

Will parking be a problem in the larger malls like Forum, Garuda during holidays?

Any advise on driving inside Bangalore?
Old 22nd December 2011, 09:58   #2869
Senior - BHPian

Re: Advise on driving in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
Will it be crowded for this weekend (christmas holidays), or is it better to postpone it for mon, tue?

I will be driving with my family (using google-map for navigation) and will be mostly shopping-mall hopping.

Will parking be a problem in the larger malls like Forum, Garuda during holidays?

i don't think you'll have problems moving around in Bangalore. most of them would have left for their hometowns for holidays. the streets might be empty

happy holidays and enjoy your stay in Bangalore.
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2011, 10:03   #2870
Team-BHP Support

Re: Advise on driving in Bangalore

Quote:

Bangalore is always crowded on a weekend; no matter what the occasion. As far as parking in the malls is concerned, you'll always find some space.

If you're keen on visiting malls, don't leave out UB City; Forum and Garuda are basically twins so you could skip either.

While you're here, just be careful with all the 1-ways.

And while the malls will be near-empty during the day on Mon and Tues, the roads will be jam-packed with all the office traffic so either way, any day is fine.

Enjoy your stay!
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2011, 13:07   #2871
BHPian

Hi Guys,

So you think that Bangalore's Traffic is bad, eh?
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-rush-hour-traffic-taipei.jpg  

Old 22nd December 2011, 13:25   #2872
Senior - BHPian

Strange sight!!

lane discipline!!! Bangalore MG Road

source: DH/TOI
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-lanedisc.jpg  

Old 22nd December 2011, 13:32   #2873
Team-BHP Support

Re: Strange sight!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post

I was just about to mention this! When I saw this picture in the paper, I was mighty impressed, and almost couldn't believe it. But it could be because the cops have started sending fines to the residents of those people who didn't follow lane discipline?

There are cameras at every major traffic-signal, and on some roads and junctions, like the Leela-Manipal junction on Old Airport Road, the lane-discipline rule is enforced by the police.
Old 22nd December 2011, 14:58   #2874
Senior - BHPian

Weird day today. On my way to work saw a Tempo Traveller and 2 wheeler involved in an accident, close to Bellandur.

Saw two more accidents on whitefield main road where a swift/indica banged 2 different two wheelers with in a span of 10 minutes.

Saw another two wheeler skid off due to water being present on the road.

Finally saw a moped hit buy another 2 wheeler right in front of my office!

Bad day today !! :(
Old 24th December 2011, 13:38   #2875
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post

No auto rikshaws, cabs in that pic. Now you you know how!
Old 28th December 2011, 19:23   #2876
BHPian

First time self-drive inside Bangalore (after nine years)

Tasted Bangalore traffic!

Drove 600 kms to get there (via Hosur), and did around 100 kms inside the city in four days.

Overall the experience was smooth, except for one: Honking.
Unnecessary honking was extremely irritating.
For example after the traffic light turns green, all the cars start honking.
Why not wait for the flow to start?
(but of course this problem exists all over our country, but I thought Bangalore was more educated?).

Google-maps on my android helped me fully.
Though I had zero knowledge of the city I drove to many places at will, easily.
When once the gps failed to lock, I was completly disoriented and had to wait on the road-side to get the lock, for a few minutes.
Thanks google-people for a magical product.
(I did miss some turns and had to go through circles and loops to get back on track).

The AutoTransmission was a boon in all those traffic jams moving inch by inch.

There was a perpetual traffic-pile-up on the 'nayandanahalli' junction where the mysore road cuts the ring road and new road construction was going on.
Hosur road was also moving inch by inch in the evening peak-time (Forum mall to city center).

Came back without any scratches/dents! on this 1,265 kms total to and fro drive.

FE inside the city was less than 9.5 kmpl.

Missed the elevated toll-road (from hosur) when coming inside the city .
Old 29th December 2011, 01:42   #2877
Team-BHP Support

Re: First time self-drive inside Bangalore (after nine years)

Quote:
Tasted Bangalore traffic!

Drove 600 kms to get there (via Hosur), and did around 100 kms inside the city in four days.

Overall the experience was smooth...
When I read this, I was a little surprised, but then I thought about the times I'd taken my car out over the last few weeks, and there wasn't that typical sense of urgency and madness in the traffic, apart from a few regular dingbats on the road. "Maybe it's because of the holiday season" I thought. But..

Quote:
The AutoTransmission was a boon in all those traffic jams moving inch by inch.
Now I know why it was smooth.

My friend, an AT in Bangalore is getting closer to being an absolute necessity. In peak-hour traffic, one sometimes wonders if he's depressing the clutch, more often than staying in a gear and moving.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 29th December 2011 at 01:44.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2011, 08:53   #2878
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I was just about to mention this! When I saw this picture in the paper, I was mighty impressed, and almost couldn't believe it. But it could be because the cops have started sending fines to the residents of those people who didn't follow lane discipline?

There are cameras at every major traffic-signal, and on some roads and junctions, like the Leela-Manipal junction on Old Airport Road, the lane-discipline rule is enforced by the police.
Same here. Was too hard to believe after the traffic mayhem I witness daily on ORR.

I commute by bike. Two incidents, I want to make a right U turn and waiting for oncoming traffic to get clear. Indicator ON and am on extreme right. The moment I start turning a idiot biker squeezed through that gap wanting to go in a No entry zone. His hand banged against by RVM and the chap almost lost control. While he was massaging his wrist, I gave him a middle finger and left.

Yesterday on ORR, a biker whom I was following was riding one hand while talking on mobile. He somehow darted to the left and crashed into a ditch filled with dust. Got trapped below the bike. I stopped, saw he was alright and told him keep talking on phone now. Did not bother to help him further. Idiot deserved that.
akshay380 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2011, 10:05   #2879
Senior - BHPian

How to minimise rear end damage

Today while going to office, on Bannerghatta road i noticed this Rio taxi following me too closely. Naturally i increased the distance between me and the next car. As luck would have it, the cars came to a halt near the bend on the road close to the cemetery. And i slowed down to a halt, keeping an eye on the car behind me. He was not looking ahead Just when i saw the weight of the Rio transferring to the front and the Rio about to rear end me, i released the brake pedal to absorb the impact. As a result, the car moved forward upon impact and before i could trigger a chain reaction, i applied brakes again and avoided hitting the car in front.

End result, damage to my car, nil. Damage to Rio, dislodged bumper. Damage to car in front, nil.

Last edited by amitoj : 29th December 2011 at 10:29.
amitoj is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th December 2011, 11:39   #2880
Team-BHP Support

Re: How to minimise rear end damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Today while going to office, on Bannerghatta road i noticed this Rio taxi following me too closely. Naturally i increased the distance between me and the next car. As luck would have it, the cars came to a halt near the bend on the road close to the cemetery. And i slowed down to a halt, keeping an eye on the car behind me. He was not looking ahead Just when i saw the weight of the Rio transferring to the front and the Rio about to rear end me, i released the brake pedal to absorb the impact. As a result, the car moved forward upon impact and before i could trigger a chain reaction, i applied brakes again and avoided hitting the car in front.

End result, damage to my car, nil. Damage to Rio, dislodged bumper. Damage to car in front, nil.
That was some fast thinking. Thanks for sharing a simple and (hopefully always) effective way to save our vehicles.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed