Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2012, 13:03   #2911
Team-BHP Support

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
everywhere you see people are violating traffic laws and cops just stand there gaping. things are just getting out of control!
Today at the KTPO junction in Whitefield, i saw a traffic cop use a broom to clean the road of pebble debris which had made their way onto the road. Felt really sad for him. End of the day, all he gets are abuses from motorists, and a whole lot of pollutants in his lungs.
benbsb29 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2012, 13:05   #2912
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
We are lawless by nature and hate following any kind of rules.
Rules are for "other People, not for me" seems to be the attitude.

In an environment where enforcement is pathetic, naturally there will be chaos, confusion and anarchy.
yes, but what's the solution; i mean we can't go on like this. at this rate people can do anything to anybody and get away with it; even murder on the roads! how much can one adjust to other's stupidity and arrogance? my 3-4hr commute to and from office is sometimes so traumatic

why can't we have traffic police force with spine to enforce the law (and i'm not talking about individuals)? or is this an accessory sold separately these days?

Quote:
Who are these "mango" people? Or is it an euphemism for "AAM Admi"?
eggjactly

Last edited by IronH4WK : 13th January 2012 at 13:06.
Old 13th January 2012, 13:11   #2913
BHPian

Quote:
In case you didn't realize it already, in Government, one paw of government knows nothing about what the other paw is doing!
The grinding wheels of bureaucracy and idiocy will grind on, in India, long after we are all dust and ashes, given the kind of people handling the show there!
How come the same structure works in Chandigarh!

I am so tempted to take the directors of BBMP, BDA and our local corporator on a joy ride with the windows rolled down! or probably in a open jeep.

Can ORCAA not do anything about this? (This one's probably for Fauji saab).

The service lane from Belandur to Sarjapur Jn is defunct & dug up. The service lane from Ibblur to Belandur is partially dug up and relaid in parts. The main road still resembles Lunar surface.
The one thing that perplexes me even more is the divide between BBMP & BDA. Can anyone clarify who does what? (I know they dont do much, however, on paper...)

I heard a lot of hue & cry about cleaning up Belandur lake, which is the best dumpsite in Bangalore. In spite of the proximity to Army training area, the lake is perpetually green with hyacinth growth!. Is it so difficult to just clean the entire muck up?
Old 13th January 2012, 13:15   #2914
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
everywhere you see people are violating traffic laws and cops just stand there gaping. things are just getting out of control!
And the cops take out their frustration on law-abiding people. If you are at 64 kmph in 60 kmph zone, they pull you over and make you cough up money, while cabs continue at 80 kmph and BMTC buses change lanes at their will.

Today's incident, as I have tried explaining pictorially. Just after the Kodathi railway crossing on Sarjapur road, one BMTC bus (red in pic) stopped just a little behind the bus stop (yes, the bus stop is exactly at the junction), possibly just to block the other BMTC bus behind it. But the second BMTC bus driver isn't stupid, and definitely not the one to give up without a fight. He overtook the stopped bus and stopped in front it at an angle (blue one). But the drama did not end there. Even with bikers and rikshaws all around, the first BMTC bus driver used all his skills and took a turn as shown in the picture and overtook the second bus and continued his journey in the right lane.

Mind you, both buses were overloaded, with passengers hanging out of the doors.
Attached Images

Old 13th January 2012, 13:20   #2915
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Today at the KTPO junction in Whitefield, i saw a traffic cop use a broom to clean the road of pebble debris which had made their way onto the road. Felt really sad for him. End of the day, all he gets are abuses from motorists, and a whole lot of pollutants in his lungs.
feel really bad for them.

i think the salaries for the police forces should be increased to the extent they can afford to live life comfortably without having to resort to taking bribes. maybe then they would be up to enforcing the law instead of letting the offenders off the hook.

i know, i'm being naive. just wishful thinking.
Old 13th January 2012, 13:38   #2916
BHPian

Quote:
feel really bad for them.

i think the salaries for the police forces should be increased to the extent they can afford to live life comfortably without having to resort to taking bribes. maybe then they would be up to enforcing the law instead of letting the offenders off the hook.

i know, i'm being naive. just wishful thinking.
Absolutely agree. Sadly the babus responsible for this get their salaries increased while leaving these people to suffer.
Many times while traveling via bus, I have noticed young traffic police putting in place the divider blocks at bellandur flyover construction site. These are moved by bikers wanted to make U turn or go to other side. Now that I have a bike, if I see this scene again, I am going to stop and give him a helping hand.
Old 13th January 2012, 15:33   #2917
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

3-4 hours a day on your commute?? Man, I sympathise completely with you. It must be mind-bendingly nerve-wracking indeed, given the state of affairs here in BLR.

Our Traffic Police are not really to be blamed - it is the lack of will up at the top to enforce the law by empowering them properly.
By contrast police forces in other states are far better empowered. In Karnataka they have gone very gutless over the last 10-12 years which was NOT the case prior to that. I remember the Bangalore and Mysore Police of the 1980's and 1990's - they were much much better!

I think that they are simply unable to cope with the current chaos - that must be one of the main reasons for their current apathy.

Quote:
yes, but what's the solution; i mean we can't go on like this. at this rate people can do anything to anybody and get away with it; even murder on the roads! how much can one adjust to other's stupidity and arrogance? my 3-4hr commute to and from office is sometimes so traumatic

why can't we have traffic police force with spine to enforce the law (and i'm not talking about individuals)? or is this an accessory sold separately these days?

eggjactly
Old 13th January 2012, 19:10   #2918
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Yes I totally agree with you. Go to Chennai and see the difference in the way the PWD gets its act together vis a vis Bangalore!

Today while coming along the Koramangala GK Vale road on the extreme right (it is a one-way) and as I was trying to make a right turn to join traffic heading towards Koramangala BDA junction another clodhopper in a Grey Ikon with fancy alloys cut me most terribly from the left, just to overtake and make his right turn first! I decided to go for him and pushed through on his left just before the Cafe Coffee Day small left turn and took that left turn. Just wanted to teach the pig a lesson but I guess it is wasted effort - considering the type of creature inside the car!

This kind of bad behaviour seems endemic to the road users in Bangalore and nothing anyone may do seems to change things!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
How come the same structure works in Chandigarh!

I am so tempted to take the directors of BBMP, BDA and our local corporator on a joy ride with the windows rolled down! or probably in a open jeep.

Can ORCAA not do anything about this? (This one's probably for Fauji saab).

The service lane from Belandur to Sarjapur Jn is defunct & dug up. The service lane from Ibblur to Belandur is partially dug up and relaid in parts. The main road still resembles Lunar surface.
The one thing that perplexes me even more is the divide between BBMP & BDA. Can anyone clarify who does what? (I know they dont do much, however, on paper...)

I heard a lot of hue & cry about cleaning up Belandur lake, which is the best dumpsite in Bangalore. In spite of the proximity to Army training area, the lake is perpetually green with hyacinth growth!. Is it so difficult to just clean the entire muck up?
Old 13th January 2012, 20:19   #2919
Senior - BHPian

Now a days I am seeing a trend that BMTC Volvo buses are hired by corporates to ferry their employees during peak hour traffic. These buses are filled mostly to half. On the other hand normal commuters suffer standing for long hours due to extreme peak time rush in routes like 335E and 500. Is this just? Buses bought by tax payer's money is used for the benefit of corporates who have money power. 30-40% normal commuters who pay the full fare have to stand and suffer considering how rashly the drivers drive these buses.
I know Pushpaks are widely used by corporates and schools, but Volvo as the presitge of BMTC fleet being use for private purposes is not right.

Last edited by poloman : 13th January 2012 at 20:20.
Old 13th January 2012, 20:32   #2920
BHPian

The seat belt rule will be finally enforced from February in Bangalore
Old 13th January 2012, 20:38   #2921
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Today's incident, as I have tried explaining pictorially. Just after the Kodathi railway crossing on Sarjapur road, one BMTC bus (red in pic) stopped just a little behind the bus stop (yes, the bus stop is exactly at the junction), possibly just to block the other BMTC bus behind it. But the second BMTC bus driver isn't stupid, and definitely not the one to give up without a fight. He overtook the stopped bus and stopped in front it at an angle (blue one). But the drama did not end there. Even with bikers and rikshaws all around, the first BMTC bus driver used all his skills and took a turn as shown in the picture and overtook the second bus and continued his journey in the right lane.

Mind you, both buses were overloaded, with passengers hanging out of the doors.
Well this is not something new. I've seen this happening at numerous junctions and all the times with the BMTC buses. On my way to work this is usual site at the bust stop near Total mall on the old airport road and again at the Indiranagar 100ft road bus stop just after getting down the Domlur flyover.

Buses are fully loaded and cut lanes without caring who's coming from the behind and whats ahead. The bus driver just hangs his hand out and moves on...
Old 13th January 2012, 21:07   #2922
BHPian

I am sure everyone here has observed this phenomena. What I am talking about is:
You are going on the road (obviously) and there are two buses ahead of you. The one infront (Bus 1) stops at the bus stop (effectively on one lane of the 2 lane road) and the second bus(Bus 2) overtakes from the right, cuts left and stops a bit ahead of bus 1 (occupying almost the middle lane of a two lane road). Now since Bus 1 stopped earlier, passengers have climbed on and the bus driver is ready to leave so he cuts right and starts overtaking the Bus 2 which has stopped infront of him. So now Bus 2 has also finished unloading/loading and starts almost parallel to Bus 1. The end result is no space for anyone else to go ahead of either of the buses.

I have always found this really funny, sad & irritating at the same time.
Old 14th January 2012, 21:30   #2923
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
I am sure everyone here has observed this phenomena. What I am talking about is:
You are going on the road (obviously) and there are two buses ahead of you. The one infront (Bus 1) stops at the bus stop (effectively on one lane of the 2 lane road) and the second bus(Bus 2) overtakes from the right, cuts left and stops a bit ahead of bus 1 (occupying almost the middle lane of a two lane road). Now since Bus 1 stopped earlier, passengers have climbed on and the bus driver is ready to leave so he cuts right and starts overtaking the Bus 2 which has stopped infront of him. So now Bus 2 has also finished unloading/loading and starts almost parallel to Bus 1. The end result is no space for anyone else to go ahead of either of the buses.

I have always found this really funny, sad & irritating at the same time.
more like scary if you are on a 2 wheeler . I have totally given up on Bangalore traffic after my expeirence driving my friend's Figo the other day :(. Cant someone put a signal at that junction in front of Mantri Mall? There are no traffic cops at the first major junction that comes on the road leading to Majestic from Raj Kumar Road either.
Old 16th January 2012, 09:30   #2924
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Now a days I am seeing a trend that BMTC Volvo buses are hired by corporates to ferry their employees during peak hour traffic. These buses are filled mostly to half. On the other hand normal commuters suffer standing for long hours due to extreme peak time rush in routes like 335E and 500. Is this just? Buses bought by tax payer's money is used for the benefit of corporates who have money power. 30-40% normal commuters who pay the full fare have to stand and suffer considering how rashly the drivers drive these buses.
I know Pushpaks are widely used by corporates and schools, but Volvo as the presitge of BMTC fleet being use for private purposes is not right.
Why? I am a user of such buses so curious about your viewpoint. It is not that we dont pay. Since you mention tax payer, I am also one right?
KRRaj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2012, 13:38   #2925
Senior - BHPian

You are also paying tax,so do others; but how can you explain the exclusivity you enjoy? These buses are meant for public transport. In peak hours few corporates charters these buses for their own employees exclusively and are not even filled to half the capacity. The rest of buses are crowded with double the seating capacity with people hanging on to the rails. If there is excess capacity no problems in leasing it to private users. Is it the case in Volvo routes during peak hours?

Last edited by poloman : 18th January 2012 at 13:41.

Most Viewed