Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2012, 18:39   #2941
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

This afternoon I was driving on Richmond Road heading to the flyover to get to Double Road (KH Road). Just after Baldwin school, when approaching the flyover ramp there are 2 large craters (filled to the brim with water when I saw them). If you're not careful you'll end up with some damage to your vehicles, so please be careful here.
Luckily, traffic was not heavy so I managed to avoid diving into the crater
Old 29th January 2012, 18:45   #2942
Team-BHP Support

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
This afternoon I was driving on Richmond Road heading to the flyover to get to Double Road (KH Road). Just after Baldwin school, when approaching the flyover ramp there are 2 large craters (filled to the brim with water when I saw them). If you're not careful you'll end up with some damage to your vehicles, so please be careful here.
Luckily, traffic was not heavy so I managed to avoid diving into the crater
Those craters have been around for sometime NVP. In fact, if I remember correctly, they were filled up in a crude manner and left alone. About two weeks back, the contents of the 'filling' might have come loose and the craters are now back in business!

In fact, the entire stretch on the right hand side, from Vellara Junction right up to the Richmond Circle Flyover, is plagued with craters. Some of them are these drains with metal covers, and they go about a good 3-4 inches deep. The edges of the road around the drain-covers are sharp and can easily throw off an unsuspecting rider.

I see these square/rectangle drain-covers on CMH road and on the left-hand-side Richmond Circle Flyover (while going to Double Road) and these are almost unavoidable!
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2012, 13:28   #2943
Senior - BHPian

Thought I will act smart and take the main roads today (OMR from Big bazaar and the 100 ft Indiranagar rd till the Inner Ring road). Usually i move to the 80 ft and take the bylanes to bypass the 100 ft and reach the Airport road flyover.

There are police men/women at most joining roads trying to keep the traffic moving.
How bad could it be?

After spending 30 mins on the 100 ft road from OMR to the Flyover, turns out it wasnt a good idea, AT ALL. There was nothing blocking the roads, just plain traffic and this was when i left at 11:30 pm from my house.

Back to bylanes again, Sigh :(
Old 1st February 2012, 15:17   #2944
Senior - BHPian

Today I lost to a BMTC bus, again.

There wasn't much traffic when the gates at Kodathi railway crossing closed. I was 3rd in line when I noticed in my IRVM, a BMTC bus coming from the wrong side to get ahead of all traffic. Just to block him, I moved to the right and stopped on the opposite side's lane. I had no intention of getting ahead of the 2 cars in front of me. I just wanted to stop the bus from blocking other traffic.

But the bus driver got off the road (on the muddy patch in front of Suncity Gloria apartments) and overtook me and stopped almost at right angles to me!

Needless to say, when the gates opened, he was the second one to go through, after threatening other motorists with his horrible honking.
Old 2nd February 2012, 22:13   #2945
BHPian

A minor accident witnessed by me today.
time: 5:30 PM today
location : ORR Kadbisenahalli jn, just opposite to Prestige Tech Park
the underpass that goes towards Intel/Bellandur from Marathalli was inaugurated yesterday. Since then I am seeing cars hesitating the take the underpass, some are in 2 minds before deciding to go under or above ground. Today evening one gentleman was driving a shining red Swift VDI And when he reached the start of the underpass, he could not decide if he wants to go underground. The underpass is at the left lane of the road, the swift was in the right lane. At the last moment, the swift decided to turn left(without turning on indicators). Got rear ended by an activa. The rear bumper came off. The owner looked crestfallen; was feeling sympathetic with the owner(As I know the pains of new car getting hit). Last I saw was the owner and the activa riders arguing vigorously at the sidewalk.
Old 3rd February 2012, 04:30   #2946
Team-BHP Support

I got stuck in a terrible traffic jam on the ORR last evening. This was at the new underpass mentioned in the post above. What i understand to be the reason for the jam is that you now have vehicles which seem to form a loop to turn in opposite directions at the U turns which have been provided before Cessna Business Park, as well as above the underpass to go in the respective directions. It was a major mess, and i regretted using the ORR to get home last evening.

What was amusing were the bikers - to beat the traffic they took the service road in front of Cessna Business Park, and raced ahead till they got near Horizon college. Obviously, if one bike leads, the remaing smart chaps follow blindly. Soon you had a whole raly of them racing along the service road, which was dug up for pipe laying. As they reached the end, they realized it was one steep climb to get to the road. Some turned back, while the enterprising among them tried stunts to get the bike on the road.

I smirked and moved ahead to be on my way.
Old 3rd February 2012, 05:35   #2947
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Today I lost to a BMTC bus, again.
Hi Rohan, Would you mind sharing the reg number of this bus? Can raise a violation against him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
A minor accident witnessed by me today.
time: 5:30 PM today
location : ORR Kadbisenahalli jn, just opposite to Prestige Tech Park
the underpass that goes towards Intel/Bellandur from Marathalli was inaugurated yesterday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I got stuck in a terrible traffic jam on the ORR last evening. This was at the new underpass mentioned in the post above.
Quite a activity near that flyover. Yesterday early morning, people were getting all over thanks to uncertainty. A biker overtaking a volvo from left almost got hit by another biker coming from wrong direction. Later they kept a guy there to inform people about taking the pass. Still one guy got confused and stopped right in front of divider wall. Hope things run smoothly today.
Old 3rd February 2012, 09:22   #2948
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
Quite a activity near that flyover. Yesterday early morning, people were getting all over thanks to uncertainty. .
The entrance to this under pass is not straight when you are moving from Marathahalli. Its curved for some reason towards right and then there is a curve towards left for the underpass. May be this is due the construction work or we got used to going right for 2 years now.

I missed the underpass on both the days and went right, hope to make it today.

Regards
Old 3rd February 2012, 09:24   #2949
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Rohan, Would you mind sharing the reg number of this bus? Can raise a violation against him.
Here are 2 photos of the bus. I'm a little bad at reading Kannada numbers. I think it reads KA 01 FA 123.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-01022012484001.jpg  

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-01022012485001.jpg  

Last edited by rohanjf : 3rd February 2012 at 09:26. Reason: edited the reg. no.
rohanjf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2012, 09:34   #2950
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I got stuck in a terrible traffic jam on the ORR last evening. This was at the new underpass mentioned in the post above. What i understand to be the reason for the jam is that you now have vehicles which seem to form a loop to turn in opposite directions at the U turns which have been provided before Cessna Business Park, as well as above the underpass to go in the respective directions. It was a major mess, and i regretted using the ORR to get home last evening.
For the past 1 week, I have been observing a huge traffic pileup here immediately after Cessna, even if I leave office at 5pm. The mess continues at Intel and Ecospace also. It has become so bad, that I have started taking a small detour from ORR next to New horizon college. There's a pretty wide road which connects me to Sarjapur road (joins 2-3km from total mall). From there on, its smooth sailing to Iblur junction where I rejoin ORR. Terrific option if I take my car. I would rather drive for 4-5kms more than sit in the traffic and burn the fuel idling
Old 3rd February 2012, 09:35   #2951
BHPian

All these kinds of accidents happen because of the lane changing discipline not followed. I have observed many people who never have a control on the lane they drive. They keep on jumping in between different lanes like a monkey without an indicator signal. Especially the two wheelers and the cabbies.
Old 3rd February 2012, 10:10   #2952
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
For the past 1 week, I have been observing a huge traffic pileup here immediately after Cessna, even if I leave office at 5pm. The mess continues at Intel and Ecospace also. It has become so bad, that I have started taking a small detour from ORR next to New horizon college. There's a pretty wide road which connects me to Sarjapur road (joins 2-3km from total mall). From there on, its smooth sailing to Iblur junction where I rejoin ORR. Terrific option if I take my car. I would rather drive for 4-5kms more than sit in the traffic and burn the fuel idling
Well, for me, from last week its been smooth flowing traffic from Intel to bellandur. So the underpass jam is throttling traffic. I don't use the carmelaram route anymore. But I need to be ahead of the 'wave'. First wave is the Intel bus fleet that comes out at 5pm . I have a window of 10mins before the Honeywell fleet comes out at 5:30 and again at 7pm. But still I don't see any pile up in the bellandur service road nowadays.
Old 3rd February 2012, 12:09   #2953
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Akshay,

Can you tell us where and how you raise violations? Could be useful for most of us!
Old 3rd February 2012, 12:48   #2954
BHPian

Finally the authorities have widened the road near the KR Puram bridge today.

The traffic was blocked all the way till Ramamurthynagar today morning. Took deviation though Vignananagar and reached K R Puram railway station.
Old 3rd February 2012, 12:50   #2955
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reswaran View Post
Hi Akshay,

Can you tell us where and how you raise violations? Could be useful for most of us!
Nothing special as such. I will post these snaps on BTP facebook page and do a bit of follow up. I was told by a traffic inspector that BTP raises violations against BMTC drivers and the challan amount is deducted directly from their salary. They do not stop these buses as it can be troublesome for passengers.
akshay380 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed