Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2012, 11:25   #3076
BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
that's on the Old Madras Road; near the Baiyappanahalli Metro depot.
That's without a level crossing. Is it the NGEF level crossing on old Madras road?
Old 8th March 2012, 12:07   #3077
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabsubs

That's without a level crossing. Is it the NGEF level crossing on old Madras road?
Yep, that's the one. Btw, this is not a regular train. The bogies made (I presume) in BHEL/ BEML are moved to the station near the IndianOil depot (don't remember the name) and then are shunted to their respective destinations. I've seen the coaches for Delhi Metro being taken in similar fashion.
Old 8th March 2012, 12:18   #3078
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Whats wrong with Kadubisnahalli, why are they playing jigsaw puzzle with that junction.

Last three days I'm having to take different routes to get onto right turn going to Sarjapur road.

Yesterday I had to do a fair bit of off-roading taking the incomplete service lane to get onto the left turn while coming from Marathalli.

In short Kadubisnahalli is the new Bellandur, with traffic easing up a bit in Bellandur.

Last edited by praful : 8th March 2012 at 12:19.
Old 8th March 2012, 12:40   #3079
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yep, that's the one. Btw, this is not a regular train. The bogies made (I presume) in BHEL/ BEML are moved to the station near the IndianOil depot (don't remember the name) and then are shunted to their respective destinations. I've seen the coaches for Delhi Metro being taken in similar fashion.
The nearest station to this place is Byappanahalli. So, I guess they are taking it there.

Btw, how did the cops manage to stop traffic so far away from the railway line given that there are no gates? (or are there gates?)
Old 8th March 2012, 12:46   #3080
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
The nearest station to this place is Byappanahalli. So, I guess they are taking it there.

Btw, how did the cops manage to stop traffic so far away from the railway line given that there are no gates? (or are there gates?)
there are no gates there and no, they're not being taken to the Baiyappanahalli station. instead they're being taken to the Baiyappanahalli Goods Yard close by (i'm guessing).
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2012, 12:59   #3081
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
Whats wrong with Kadubisnahalli, why are they playing jigsaw puzzle with that junction.

Last three days I'm having to take different routes to get onto right turn going to Sarjapur road.
I face the same problem. That junction has become so unpredictable, that it's a pain! One day, there is a jam stretching for kms, other days its fine. All depends on whatever puzzle the cops solved that morning, which they use as an inspiration.
Old 8th March 2012, 13:29   #3082
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I face the same problem. That junction has become so unpredictable, that it's a pain! One day, there is a jam stretching for kms, other days its fine. All depends on whatever puzzle the cops solved that morning, which they use as an inspiration.
benb spare a thought for the poor cops. its not their fault really. this entire ORR stretch is poor planning. Not just poor, its atrocious planning. Strange underpasses and flyover designs that mean people have to change lanes all the time which results in chaos and slow traffic. If you want to take right turn anywhere, remember almighty God before doing so! In fact, driving on this ORR stretch is the biggest proof of existance of God on earth, if it was ever required!!!
Old 8th March 2012, 15:13   #3083
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
benb spare a thought for the poor cops. its not their fault really. this entire ORR stretch is poor planning. Not just poor, its atrocious planning. Strange underpasses and flyover designs that mean people have to change lanes all the time which results in chaos and slow traffic. If you want to take right turn anywhere, remember almighty God before doing so! In fact, driving on this ORR stretch is the biggest proof of existance of God on earth, if it was ever required!!!
Very true, take for example the fly over in Belundur, the one they have opened to traffic which is going towards Marathahalli. Today morning I saw there was a huge traffic pile up on the fly over, I wondered why this is happening and turned around and saw that the vehicles going into Ecospace have to take a U turn, that too at the end of fly over. What's the use of the fly over if traffic piles up? Very bad planning on BDA part.
Old 9th March 2012, 09:10   #3084
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The bogies made (I presume) in BHEL/ BEML are moved to the station near the IndianOil depot (don't remember the name) and then are shunted to their respective destinations. I've seen the coaches for Delhi Metro being taken in similar fashion.
Yes, BEML has been making coaches for Indian Railways for a long time, along with Perambur and Kapurthala coach factories. The DMRC has been a major client, it seems. See: Beml India

Quote:
there are no gates there and no, they're not being taken to the Baiyappanahalli station. instead they're being taken to the Baiyappanahalli Goods Yard
I doubt this, as the rail alignment near the spot makes it difficult for a train leaving BEML to go to the goods yard. See here:

Google Maps

The line going left to right is Bangalore City to KR Puram and beyond (Mumbai & Chennai main line). The line curving downwards (barely visible) is the one to BEML and the one curving upwards is to the goods yard and onwards to Yeshwantpur. As is evident, is it difficult to exit the BEML towards the goods yard without some lengthy back-and-forth maneuvering on a busy main line.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2012, 10:25   #3085
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
I agree with the part about empathizing with the cops. Its a really tough job, and so i try to be realy nice to them whenever i can, in small ways.

However, the problem is with the consistency of the decisions they come up with, which affects traffic flow.

Once the flyover near the Passport Office on ORR is opened, they should close the U turns along that stretch. All vehicles which need to make a U turn should do so under the flyover.
Old 10th March 2012, 12:40   #3086
Senior - BHPian

Organized looting got a boost today.
Minimum auto fare will be 20/- for 1.8 kms, up from 17/- for 2 kms. And per km rate is 11, up from 9.
Minimum auto fare Rs 20 from 12th - South India - Bangalore - ibnlive
Old 10th March 2012, 12:49   #3087
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Minimum auto fare will be 20/- for 1.8 kms, up from 17/- for 2 kms. And per km rate is 11, up from 9.
Minimum auto fare Rs 20 from 12th - South India - Bangalore - ibnlive
even that is not going to change anything. they'll still refuse to go the destination we want to go and will continue to extort the common man. when we used to stay in Thippasandra, my wife's (and mine) office was in BTP, just about 2kms from our residence. the auto guys used to ask 40/- to go that distance and this was when the minimum was 12/-! wonder what figure they'll come up with now that the minimum is 20/-

giving my car for service at Trident IRR is a day i hate because after giving the car i've to catch an auto back home and visa versa (to go collect it). sometimes i've walked all the way from the A.S.S to Indiranagar 12th Main (and once till CMH road) because either the auto guys wouldn't want to ferry me till Banaswadi or they would ask for exorbitant rates like 200/-! wonder where they come up with these figures!

Last edited by IronH4WK : 10th March 2012 at 12:53.
Old 10th March 2012, 13:37   #3088
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Great. In Mumbai, it is minimum Rs. 11 for the first 1.6 km, then Rs. 7 per hour. That means the Bangalore rickshaw costs a good 60%-ish more - perhaps the only living expense metric in which Bangalore beats Mumbai so handsomely.
Old 11th March 2012, 23:40   #3089
BHPian

Guys, the flyover towards Marathalli at Intel Jn. (Doddabisenahalli ) on ORR is open from today !
ankan.m.blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2012, 09:41   #3090
Senior - BHPian

I was involved in an incident near Chrysalis school near Varthur. There are a lot of private cars on that stretch these days, and these are forced to stop and go at some of those HUGE suspension-breakers. And I was waiting in such a queue, with a Swift behind me. Suddenly I see a Tata 407 coming on the left side of the road (which has only mud). Even though he cannot continue, as there are a lot of school children walking, tries to cut in and brushes the Swift behind me. That doesn't stop him. He brushes my left wing mirror and continues. The furious Swift guy overtakes me from my right, cuts in at right angles and stops. Since the truck is still on the muddy part, he is blocked by the Swift in front of him and me on his right. And the Swift guy just comes out and starts hurling abuses at the 407 driver. I also join, but don't get out of my car.

Then the 407 driver explains the reason for his hurry: he is carrying milk and he has to deliver it before it spoils. So he was ready to cause a damage of 10000 Rs for milk worth 100 Rs.

Since I have no way of going ahead, I wait till the Swift guy moves his car, and then the 407 guy continues driving the way he was, and Swift guy keeps trying to block him. After a while, they went so much ahead that I lost them.

Most Viewed