Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2012, 17:49   #3346
BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

I'll be starting little late may be around 7:30PM form itpl to Bannerghatta road. Does anybody know how is the traffic on Outer ring road and silk board. I probably will take varthur road, but it'll merge at iblur. Appreciate if somebody can post the traffic on this road.
Old 15th May 2012, 19:51   #3347
BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Very bad traffic, It took 2:30 mins to reach JP Nagar 7th Phase from KR Puram. Traffic jam near Kadubisanahalli, Silk Board and BTM Lake road.

Last edited by TopSpeeder : 15th May 2012 at 20:00.
Old 15th May 2012, 20:09   #3348
BHPian

A bad day. It was raining heavily around 5 PM today. I was stuck in a serpentine queue at the narrow Bellandur Lake pool (Hemlur side). Was wondering why such a long queue not moving at all ; suddenly I saw all the cars trying to reverse at the same time. Some brilliant mind at just decided to close the pool due to rain :sigh:
Out of nowhere, a herd of cows (around 30 of them) come ; their owner/caretaker behind them with a stick egging them to cross the bridge (close for vehicles though !). Suddenly one of the cows slip and fall in the mud below the bridge. Other cows started running in fear in all directions. One of the bigger ones came and hit my stationary car. Mind you, all this is happening in torrential rain, 40+ cars stuck in queue and trying to reverse! My ritz got a deep dent in the rear right door :(
Any idea how much damage I should expect for dent removal? Dent is around 3 inc long; no scratches thankfully.

P.S. : I was returning home in Bellandur from J P Morgan, ORR. My route to home today was

JPMC --> Marathalli Bridge --> Hemlur --> Bellandur Lake --> Hemlur --> Marathalli --> Kundanahallii gate --> Marathalli bridge --> Innovative Multiplex --> Bellandur !

Last edited by ankan.m.blr : 15th May 2012 at 20:13. Reason: added route
Old 15th May 2012, 21:27   #3349
BHPian

started from itpl at 7:30PM and reached bannerghatta road @ 8:45PM. not bad in my motorcycle though.Normal trffic everywhere, i took varthur road. Not sure whats status of kadubesanahalli underpass though.
Old 16th May 2012, 06:46   #3350
Team-BHP Support

I made the mistake of taking the ORR to get back home last evening, which turned out to be a major blunder. I started from Whitefield around 5:45 PM, and took the road leading towards Alpine Eco to reach the ORR. It was heavily blocked with cars and cabs all over the road, in all possible directions! Smart dudes went up the wrong side of the road (as usual!!) and net result was a major traffic jam which showed no signs of easing up.

After waiting 15 minutes, managed to turn around and decided to take the railway crossing. BIGGER MISTAKE!! I got a lot of time to sit back and introspect on the quality of returns we get after paying taxes diligently. Taxes of all kinds, all aimed at the betterment of society, while i watched highly intelligent fellow road users once again drive up the wrong side of the road, just because they were in a hurry to get to their mother's marriage.

I spent about an hour and a quarter on this road alone, barely moving inches. Just as the ORR became visible, two trains had to go through, so the gates were closed. As we can all predict rather comfortably by now, what this means is that once again vehicles clog all possible orifices surrounding that gate to freedom.

End result? Noone goes anywhere. Horns blaring, people losing their temper, bikers scratching cars are they wriggle thorugh non-existent spaces - you had it all.

After another 30 mins or so, i got through the gate, literally having to swipe aside 2 wheelers who were swarming the road like mosquitoes.

ORR was the next. The traffic jam started all the way from JP Morgan. The road leading to Panathur was blocked once again with traffic in both directions, and all possible spaces, so nobody was going anywhere yet again. I squeezed through the narrow underpass, expecting to get to Panathur road from near New Horizon college, but someone had dug up that road for an entire lane, so yet again, there was no way anyone could proceed in either direction.

I then took the road beside Intel to get to GEAR school after navigating through endless nonsense yet again, to finally make my way to Sarjapur road.

I had left office at 5:45PM, reaching home at 8:30PM. I have one request to God - 'Please do not make it rain on a weekday. All of us city dwellers love the rain so much that we go bonkers every time it rains. Let there be rain on a weekend, or in the nights, when the world is relatively at peace'.

< Long rant finally over! >
Old 16th May 2012, 08:02   #3351
Senior - BHPian

^^^ To each his own.

Yesterday we enjoyed the rains, first the passport office trip got over at around 5, it was raining heavily hence we came back home. At around 630 we decided to go for a general leisurely drive. Crossing Bellandur flyover, looking at the JAM we decided to go for a evening drive towards Varthur from Sarjapur. The U in front of EcoSpace (Jockers had blocked it), had to go further to take U after the PSK flyover.

Went towards Forum Value mall, from Sarjapur, Varthur, no Traffic and nice rains and good Manna Dey music made the drive a real pleasure. Came back at 2130 finished dinner to hit bed.

I would reckon even if i had gone to office, i would have liked the rains as i usually take the office shuttle back home and the temperature and the greenery with good music on my phone makes the return enjoyable. Although I have to agree, if i was driving home after hard days work i would have gone crazy myself.

BTW, Any idea why it was such a bad jam. Was the underpass flooded again? This morning i did not see any water in the underpass.
Old 16th May 2012, 08:17   #3352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
Luckily will be leaving office late today and hope the traffic is cleared by then
What a bad decision it way to leave office late. I should religiously stick to my 7 to 4 office hours.

Left from whitefield at 07:30 PM and reached home on BG road at 9:40 PM. I almost saw all kind of stunts being performed on the road. Some I can understand, but some were unbelievable.

Frustruated, irritated, tired, hungry and angry, cursing every govt department. But do they care about tax paying citizens?

We should all take our cars, park it in front of BBMP/BDA office and honk continuosly as a protest to wake them up. This is what they are doing to recover tax from citizens, sending drummers to houses.

Regards
Old 16th May 2012, 08:34   #3353
BHPian

Any updates on the kadubeesanahalli underpass this morning? There was more rain in the night, so the underpass must have flooded again.
Old 16th May 2012, 08:56   #3354
Senior - BHPian

Muhahahaha. When I left office in Whitefield at 5 PM, I saw the clouds and knew that most people would be in a hurry to reach home. So I took the Tesco road, then Varthur. Took a right in front of Varthur police station to Panattur. Took a left after Panattur but before ORR to reach Doddakannelli and then drove on Sarjapur road to Bellandur (to pick up my wife from her office). 20 km in 45 minutes.

I feel this route is shorter than going via Carmelaram. Also, there is no railway level crossing. The road goes under the railway track.
Old 16th May 2012, 09:09   #3355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Any updates on the kadubeesanahalli underpass this morning? There was more rain in the night, so the underpass must have flooded again.
Passed the underpass at 6:45 AM today, its clear. Luckily the entire ORR stretch from Silkboard to whitefield was normal without any obstructions

Regards
Old 16th May 2012, 09:59   #3356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Passed this stretch at 8:30AM, no hold ups.
(There are 2 lanes for crossing Kadubeesanahalli junction, one via underpass for buses & trucks and one above for cars & bikes. Even if the car/bike lane is empty, the cars & bikes get into bus/truck lane and slow it down. Never understood their logic).

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
Left from whitefield at 07:30 PM and reached home on BG road at 9:40 PM.
I left Whitefield at 7:50PM and was at home in BTM by 8:45PM (I took the Vartur, Sarjapur road).
Old 16th May 2012, 10:18   #3357
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Passed this stretch at 8:30AM, no hold ups.
(There are 2 lanes for crossing Kadubeesanahalli junction, one via underpass for buses & trucks and one above for cars & bikes. Even if the car/bike lane is empty, the cars & bikes get into bus/truck lane and slow it down. Never understood their logic).
Thanks for the update. Today's drive through the underpass was a breeze. No traffic whatsoever.

The reason cars and bikes also want to go through the underpass and not from above is the traffic jam that happens on the kadubeesanahalli junction. There is a narrow single lane and lot of traffic merge on the junction towards marathalli.

I was stuck on top of underpass yesterday for 35 minutes because they had blocked the one lane in the middle and allowing traffic only through service road (right decision on their part as the narrow lane towards under construction underpass can cave it anytime).
Old 16th May 2012, 10:30   #3358
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Muhahahaha. When I left office in Whitefield at 5 PM, I saw the clouds and knew that most people would be in a hurry to reach home. So I took the Tesco road, then Varthur. Took a right in front of Varthur police station to Panattur. Took a left after Panattur but before ORR to reach Doddakannelli and then drove on Sarjapur road to Bellandur (to pick up my wife from her office). 20 km in 45 minutes.

I feel this route is shorter than going via Carmelaram. Also, there is no railway level crossing. The road goes under the railway track.
Thanks, i am going to try this route today.

Quote:
No flooding in the underpass when i passed overhead at 8:30AM.
Old 16th May 2012, 12:34   #3359
BHPian

Received this sms from BTP :

"Due to ongoing works on Mysore Road the traffic movement is very slow. Kindly avoid Mysore Road for the next 3 months. Use outer ring road to go to Mysore."
--------------------
Does this mean we need to take Kanakpura Road instead of Sh-17 ?
Old 16th May 2012, 12:52   #3360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Received this sms from BTP :

"Due to ongoing works on Mysore Road the traffic movement is very slow. Kindly avoid Mysore Road for the next 3 months. Use outer ring road to go to Mysore."
--------------------
Does this mean we need to take Kanakpura Road instead of Sh-17 ?
This probably refers specifically to the congestion near Nayandanahalli junction where metro work as well as a double flyover work is in progress. You could use the old ring road while coming from West/north/East of Bangalore or use NICE road while coming from south of Bangalore to get into mysore road avoiding this junction.

Most Viewed