Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2012, 11:10   #3406
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
the best part was that the truck was on the right lane! when will these idiots learn to drive properly
When the authorities get the spine to crack the whip on them.

I dont know whether this is still the case or not, but a year or so back i was driving from Patiala to Delhi. As soon as i entered the Delhi border, i saw a long line of trucks going at 40 kmph going in the leftmost lane and nowhere else. Now its not as if these truck drivers achieved enlightenment as soon as they entered Delhi. Well, in a sense they did, thanks to Delhi Traffic Police!
Old 23rd May 2012, 21:53   #3407
Senior - BHPian

I know this is unrelated to traffic! But does anyone know why the hell does a police vehicle pull outside a shop and go about collecting 10-50 bucks from shops? I have seen this happen with a lot of shops at various times of the day.

What is this gunda raj? They are collecting 'hafta' to protect the shops?

Or is it just their hooch pocket money!z
Old 23rd May 2012, 22:00   #3408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful
I know this is unrelated to traffic! But does anyone know why the hell does a police vehicle pull outside a shop and go about collecting 10-50 bucks from shops? I have seen this happen with a lot of shops at various times of the day.

What is this gunda raj? They are collecting 'hafta' to protect the shops?

Or is it just their hooch pocket money!z
Most of these shops dont have permits for selling what they sell. So they have to bribe to.keep their businesses open.
You'll notice the police wont go to every shop in the same line. Only a few shops. Thats cause the shops are actually illegal. And to prevent closing down they pay the so called charges.

Regards

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 23rd May 2012 at 22:01.
Old 23rd May 2012, 22:56   #3409
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Most of these shops dont have permits for selling what they sell. So they have to bribe to.keep their businesses open.
You'll notice the police wont go to every shop in the same line. Only a few shops. Thats cause the shops are actually illegal. And to prevent closing down they pay the so called charges.

Regards
I was eating at Swensons, HSR Layout!

Even they are illegal?
Old 23rd May 2012, 23:33   #3410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful
I was eating at Swensons, HSR Layout!

Even they are illegal?
Then i doubt whats the inner agenda here. If they come to swensens and swensens are paying them then definitely something going on here, dont you think? There are many ways to exploit the shopkeeper likd being open after 11 pm and then selling stationery items in an eatery etc etc. But they dont harass the shopkeepers if they are carrying out everything legally and paying taxes on time. In my neighborhood ive seen one shop paying up whereas the rest arent. They said they pay their taxes.
All these problems wouldnt happen if the shopkeepers keep to whatever is legally permissible to sell rather than being greedy and not paying taxes and whatnot. When you are on the wrong side of the law you are bound to get exploited.
You sure the police didnt come to taste the ice cream at swensens? Haha
Regards.
Old 24th May 2012, 00:32   #3411
Senior - BHPian

I am pretty sure they done come in to taste some icecream. But I definitely did see some money exchanging hands. But a small amount, prolly 20-50 bucks.

If the shop is illegal/having illegal activities, I think the BBMP would have issues first rather the police themselves.

Its still not clear, but looks like they collect money for hooch pocket money to me for now!
Old 24th May 2012, 00:40   #3412
Team-BHP Support

Note From Team-BHP Support Team: Guys, please stick to the topic. I think this discussion would be more suited for this thread.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2012, 22:02   #3413
Senior - BHPian

Funny thing today. I started from Whitefield at 6 pm and reached Varthur circle 15 minutes later. There was a long traffic jam on Varthur road. But bikers were going through from all directions. While waiting there, I got a little too carried away in music. Once the traffic started moving, I noticed my left mirror was closed! I had not even realised that some biker had done this to get past the stopped vehicles!!!
Old 31st May 2012, 09:07   #3414
BHPian

Has anyone taken ORR today morning? Is there any political disturbance on ORR ?
Old 31st May 2012, 09:36   #3415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Has anyone taken ORR today morning? Is there any political disturbance on ORR ?
Nothing.
I covered 32 kms in 50 minutes. The only thing limiting your speed are the speed humps. Loved driving today.

OT, about collecting money. Its for letting vehicles park on road in front of businesses etc.

Last edited by srishiva : 31st May 2012 at 09:37.
Old 31st May 2012, 10:10   #3416
BHPian

Absolutely peaceful drive today to office. It took me just 30 minutes to complete the 20km distance from RRNagar to EGL. Usually it takes a minimum of an hour to 90 minutes. Most importantly, I sat in my desk with a fresh face and eager to start working. Usually, I wear a battered look when I enter my office everyday.
Old 31st May 2012, 17:30   #3417
Senior - BHPian

And tomorrow also seems like it'd be a nice drive as cabs etc are off the roads :-D
Old 31st May 2012, 19:02   #3418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
And tomorrow also seems like it'd be a nice drive as cabs etc are off the roads :-D
I was told that the cab strike has been called off. So, back to your driving routine everyone
Old 31st May 2012, 19:55   #3419
BHPian

Ah what a nice day it was. Felt like being back in old Bangalore days with a moderb twist. I wonder how a strike leads to wasting money. More fuel is burnt on our daily commutes sitting in jams rather than driving. Today entire bangalore roads were like expressway. So clean. And entire atmosphere less polluting. I actually walked without pollution bothering me. May not be nice day for economy but a good day for Bangalore.
Old 4th June 2012, 13:56   #3420
BHPian

I was stuck in the traffic mess created due to the Samavesha in palace grounds yesterday. I was on the way to RT Nagar from BG Road and just after crossing the railway bridge on the millers road the traffic came to a halt.. thats it. I was there for 1.5 hours on the same stretch.

I was irritated and go down from the car and went to a tranffic police. Poor chap was in bad condition, just requested him to make some space in between the 4500 buses for cars to move. Nothing worked, nothing moved. Everyone were mute spectator as the mob ruled the road.

The day the city was hijacked again by politicians and mobs

Regards

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks